'14 MA PF - Bonzie Colson Jr. (Notre Dame)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'14 MA PF - Bonzie Colson Jr. (Notre Dame)

Unread post by BFC »

Bonzie Colson Jr. - PF
School: St. Andrew's
Travel/AAU: BABC

Ht: 6'6"
Wt: 195 lbs

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Stars, #146 in 2014
ESPN: 4 Stars, 81 Grade, #16 PF

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Boston College
Fairfield
Florida State
George Washington
Iowa State
Notre Dame
Quinnipiac
Seton Hall
Siena
Vermont

INTEREST:
Drexel
Harvard
Lafayette
LaSalle
Marquette
Northeastern
Virginia
Virginia Tech
UConn
Wichita State

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... 1RsXLXO5B4
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... -colson-jr
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/bonzie-colson

URI Rams/HEAT Fan ‏@NewEraURI_Hoops
@Bacolson35 Were u at Rhody Madness last night?

Bonzie Colson II ‏@Bacolson35
@NewEraURI_Hoops yeah I was there
Last edited by BFC 10 years ago, edited 13 times in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 MA PF - Bonzie Colson Jr.

Unread post by TruePoint »

I haven't seen Bonzie play yet. Should be able to tell a lot about what kind of a player he is going to be over the course of this coming prep season and the AAU season following it. Would be great on a couple of levels if he ends up being a high level recruit and URI can be involved.

Couple of write-ups on Colson:

St. Andrew's Bonzie Colson - part of URI's future?

BABC Sophomores Take AAU National Title
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have seen him play several times as a Soph. It would be great to get him on board at rhody early. Definitely a guy worth getting to URI
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I haven't seen him in awhile but what I remember is an undersized power forward. Hopefully he either grows or develops his game away from the basket.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Iggs, at 6'6" / 195, he would certainly be an undersized for a PF in college basketball today, but he is just about to start his junior year. Would not surprise me to see him both develop his game further from the basket AND hit another growth spurt.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't think we should get too hung up on height...I may be in the minority but I believe there are intangibles which go a long way in college basketball.....Charles Barkley is around 6'5" and had those intangibles....

Georges Niang is small but I would have loved having him at our school instead of Iowa State.

Not to compare young Bonzie to those guys...but let's see how his next year and a half pans out before dismissing him or anointing him...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Would be nice to get him just for the history. I think if we sign him we should pressure Jaren Sina to transfer in so we can start getting the band back together.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Ramulous wrote:I don't think we should get too hung up on height...I may be in the minority but I believe there are intangibles which go a long way in college basketball.....Charles Barkley is around 6'5" and had those intangibles....
I think a lot of what made Barkley great (strength, vertical leap, defense) was very tangible.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

And, as he and Mark Aguirre would tell you, having a big butt to catch opponents, as they spin to the basket, helped.
Barkley wasn't tall, but he took up a lot of space.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '14 MA PF - Bonzie Colson Jr. (Offer)

Unread post by BFC »

"Bonzie Colson overcame a rolled ankle early to finish with 16 points, 9 rebounds, and 4 assists."

http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... -Recap.php
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

2014 St. Andrew's (RI) duo Bonzie Colson and Henry Bolton didn't have their best showing, but demonstrated upside, regardless. Colson, whose father played at Rhode Island, is an undersized power forward with offers from Vermont, Fairfield, George Washington, Rhode Island, Seton Hall and Boston. Bolton, a guard who shoots it well, has Boston and Rhode Island offers but continues to improve his game.

http://recruitscoop.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1467615
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Boston... College? University? UMass-Boston?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

i would think BU
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"Bonzie Colson added a team-best 13 rebounds and 20 points."

http://www.eastbayri.com/news/st-andrew ... ff-opener/
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"UConn also has shown some mild interest in Bonzie Colson, a 6-6, Class of 2014 power forward in the Jeff Adrien mold out of St. Andrew's School in Barrington, R.I. Colson has offers from Seton Hall, Rutgers and George Washington, among others. UConn has only shown slight interest to this point."

http://borgesblognhr.blogspot.com/
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've seen him play a couple of times.
He's like a poor man's Charles Barkley.
He's a wide body with a 7 foot wing span.
Does everything well, especially passing.
High basketball IQ, as you'd expect from a coach's son.
Could be a successor to Biruta.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

IMO, his father was one of our best passers for a big man.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"Colson Refining Game & Body

Following in the footsteps of his father - a standout player at Rhode Island and former Boston College assistant - Bonzie Colson Jr. is making strides in his development. The class of 2014 6-foot-7 power forward from St. Andrew's (RI) is becoming more versatile, despite his typical face up power forward role. Colson is losing weight, adding muscle in his upper body, and has improved on his ability to attack the rim off the dribble while in transition. As he could still grow a few more inches, he has similar features to Iowa State freshman Georges Niang, however he is more athletic, but hasn't established a prominent jump shot like Niang. Never the less, Colson's performance in the EYBL on the U17 scene could make or break his campaign to earn more high-major offers, and break into the Rivals150.

Currently holding offers from Quinnipiac, Boston, Rhode Island, Seton Hall, Vermont, Siena, Fairfield, George Washington and others, many schools are keeping their eye on Colson's development, growth and rapidly improving skill set. UConn, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Florida State, Drexel, Wichita State, La Salle and Northeastern are among the schools tracking him. While no schools stand out in his mind just yet, he admits that George Washington's staff has been the best at keeping in constant contact.

With a load of upside on his plateau, Colson can control how highly recruited he will be. His wingspan is staggering, and if he grows a few more inches, schools will be all over him nationally."

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1490372
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We should be on this guy. Hopefully his dad will help steer him our way. Maybe even Penders can get involved.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm leery of an undersized power forwards. But 6-7, if true, is better than the 6-5 and 6-6 I've seen previously. I never buy into the "he might still be growing ..."
His recruitment is all over the place; one ACC, one Big East, two A-10 and then a lot of lower schools. Northeastern and Drexel haven't even offered.
I hope he continues to develop and becomes a star at URI, but time will tell.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Seven foot wingspan and Charles Barkley butt, would translate well
into college.
Think Djuan Blair for the Spurs by way of Pitt.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I wonder if the WRAM's are after his sister. She looks to be 13ish, and 5-10. Both kids were with their father at the pre=game in the lounge against UMass. I would guess junior is 6-5 to 6-6, and 180-190. No Charles Barkley. Definitely not a big body at this time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've seen him on the court, have you?
Every basketball player looks thinner with street clothes on.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

His body looks a lot like Ulmer's when Lamont was a freshman. Nope hadn't seen him play except on videos. Rod, I am not in your league of expertise. Just a casual poster.
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Height is overated. When we were recruiting somebody (maybe the Bull? kid), the kid that ended up at Iowa State (Georges Niang i think) was under the radar, but scoring all the points for the team. Now he is a budding star for Hoiberg at Iowa State. We had a shot at him but he was an undersized power forward. I think we should give the Colson kid a shot.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

I agree he looks like the real deal. He has another year to develope his game and body. Could be a great catch for us.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

UCH21377 wrote:Height is overated. When we were recruiting somebody (maybe the Bull? kid), the kid that ended up at Iowa State (Georges Niang i think) was under the radar, but scoring all the points for the team. Now he is a budding star for Hoiberg at Iowa State. We had a shot at him but he was an undersized power forward. I think we should give the Colson kid a shot.
URI offered Niang. Never had a shot
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Niang was never under the radar. BABC was the National Champion and Miang was the 2nd best player on the team to Nerlens Noel. Niang was a big scorer with a wide variety of inside and effective moves to score points. He verbaled early.
URI never was in the running for him. Best shot URI had was for Niang's teammate who was a Junior, Rene Castro. Preston went to many of Castro's games but he opted for Butler.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This staff back off on Castro as too small for a shooting guard, much as
they have for Jon Severe.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Haven't seen Bonzie play, but if you start comparing undersized forwards to Barkley, that's silly. He was an athletic freak, wide body, super athletic with terrific speed for his size.
Remember Jerome Lane at Pitt? Supposed to be another Barkley. Um, no.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

rodfromcranston wrote:This staff back off on Castro as too small for a shooting guard, much as
they have for Jon Severe.
Those are two pretty good players to have backed off on. Guess they know what they are looking for.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rosie: remember?

"Send it in, Jerome!"

Classic.

I watched that game. Raftery's shining moment.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Bonzie Colson (BABC u17)- With his stock rapidly rising, Colson was a proverbial man among boys on Saturday evening, rebounding in and out of his area on both ends and scoring the ball at the rim with a carve-out gather step through contact.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... -Recap.php
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Bonzie Colson (BABC) – It's pretty weird to be listing Colson but for a two time defending AAU national champion he doesn't get the credit he deserves. Look for that to change this time for Colson is now the main focal point on his BABC squad who will be looked at to score the ball, rebound and be active on the defense.
http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=6901
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Jay Demings ‏@CoachJayDemings 27 Apr
Bonzie Colson of BABC is avg 17.2 points, 8 reb & 2.7 blocks per game in #NikeEYBL. The hybrid forward is shooting 56% from the field.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'd love to have Bonzie's son son on our team. He comes from "good stock". Bonzie was one of the best big men we've had. He wasn't an offensive threat, but he did so many little things a team needs to win. One of the passers for a big man, especially on the inbounds. Also, a classy kid.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Adam Finkelstein ‏@FinkelsteinNERR 2h
NERR-TV: Bonzie Colson talks EYBL, Recruiting http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.com/
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

If he's 6-7 then Finkelstein must be 6-5
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Through 9 games so far in the EYBL Season BABC is 8-1.
Bonzie leads the team in minutes played at 27
62% FG
77% FT
7.6 RPG
18.3 PPG - Ranked 8th in Points per Game among all EYBL Teams so far
22 Blocked shots - the whole rest of the team has 12 blocks. Bonzie is ranked 5th among all EYBL Players to date
7.7 Field Goals per game - ranked #1 in this category

Next up in EYBL Play:
Dallas May 11-13
Minneapolis May 24-27
Peach Jam North Augusta, SC July 10-14 - Top 24 Qualifiers play for the EYBL Championship

Bonzie's recruiting is steadily increasing.
He will be in the spotlight in the EYBL Championship Games in July with most all schools Head Coaches in attendance.
URI needs to be all over Bonzie as we need him in Keaney Blue
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I have seen him play and nothing jumps out at me. He is taller and moderately good at a bunch of other things. I think at the least we should just take the best player at St. Andrews every year or every other year in hopes of developing a pipeline that can deliver a Rakim Sanders or MCW or what have you. Demetrius Nichols! he was amazing. like a 6-10 pure shooting guard.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nothing does jump out at you, watching him play.
He's a glue guy, who does a bit of everything, but nothing spectacular.
Plus he's a winner.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I have not seen Bonzie play, so this statement probably means nothing, but aren't we shooting for a higher level recruit in the '14 class?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have seen him play as a Soph and then as Junior. Bonzie has improved significantly fromSoph to Junior year. To be the Top Rebounder and the Top Scorer on the BABC Team that is as usual 8-1 at this time and one of the leading AAU programs in the country says a lot just right there. Bonzie is improving with each year and this will be a break out year for him. URI needs to lock hiim up early. Top 10 in scoring in EYBL with a 62% FG percentage - playing against the best players in the country.
I'd take him in a heartbeat.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Spectacular doesn't mean you're successful. Helping your team win, getting better, filling up the stat sheet with positives game-after-game, now that's spectacular! (AND -- JUST IMAGINE HOW MUCH MORE BC JR. WILL IMPROVE WITH COACHES WHO KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING!)
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Except for being a better scorer, he sounds a lot like his father- fundamentally sound. I'd like to get him.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

Haven't seen him play. People tell me he is a pretty good player, probably not a starter at URI. It would be nice to establish a relationship at St. Andrews. Baron never did.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

How much is this about his dad vs his son's actual potential to make a significant contribution to a Rhody team competing for a A10 championship?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I see his father as a plus in recruiting him.
Having seen him a few times, I think he can be a significant contributor.
He's the leading scorer and rebounder on one of the best AAU teams
in the country.
How anyone can say he wouldn't eventually be a starter, is beyond me.
The kid has upped his game every year.
He's a smart player, with a high basketball IQ.
What's not to like?
When did we become Duke, that a kid like this isn't good enough
for our consideration?
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Bonzie Colson may be the most undervalued player on the entire circuit. The 6-foot-7, 230 pound brute from St. Andrew's, Mass., has been a force inside for BABC. He has refined post moves – think Al Jefferson – and is developing a face up game to his arsenal. Most of his opponents have been aware of his production in the post, so Colson has adapted by becoming a tremendous passer off the low blow. All other analysis aside, Colson's numbers (18.7 PPG, 7.3 RPG) speak for themselves. Not a bad start to his first nine games in the EYBL. Continued production against elite competition will definitely start turning heads.
http://www.d1circuit.com/news_article/s ... fferal=rss
0 x