'17 RI F Tomas Murphy (Northeastern - Transfer to Vermont)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

'17 RI F Tomas Murphy (Northeastern - Transfer to Vermont)

Unread post by bressler3south »

Rhode Island is first to offer 2017 Mass Rivals (MA) forward Tomas Murphy, according to RIHoops.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: TOMAS MURPHY 2017 Mass Rivals (MA) forward

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bressler3south wrote:Rhode Island is first to offer 2017 Mass Rivals (MA) forward Tomas Murphy, according to RIHoops.
Sweet! Let's keep a Murphy in RI!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

This kid is supposed to be the best of the bunch
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Never too early to start...heck, he's not even in HS!!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Tomas Murphy of the Mass Rivals team, who will attend Prout Academy in the fall, displayed tremendous promise as both a skilled and very agile basketball player. Murphy is a versatile big man who showed some nifty low-post skills, most notably when he buried a jump-hook off of a great spin move. He can step out and shoot the three with accuracy, and, defensively, he seems to alter any shot that is near him.
http://www.newenglandrecruitingreport.c ... -Recap.php
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dad's school has already offered too..

Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop 9h
Boston College has offered 2017 Mass Rivals (MA) forward Tomas Murphy
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

His older brother told me he's going to be a 7 footer like his Dad, and he's supposed to be on track to be the best of the bunch. No way we land him, but I'm rooting for the kid.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I worked a camp he was at when he was probably 8-9. Was about 5'8"-5'10" then. Said the Dr. told him he would be around 7'3".
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

I was 6' 1 1/2" at age 11. Doc told me, "Yeah, probably 6'7', 6'8"…."
Pete Carrill took me under his wing at various camps. 8-)
Didin't grow another freakin' millimeter!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

bressler3south wrote:I was 6' 1 1/2" at age 11. Doc told me, "Yeah, probably 6'7', 6'8"…."
Pete Carrill took me under his wing at various camps. 8-)
Didin't grow another freakin' millimeter!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That's mighty unfortunate for you sir. haha
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

"Someday, son," Carrill, said years ago, "you and me are going to grab a beer in Princeton." Last time I saw him, 10 years ago, I reminded him of the story and he said, "Damn, it's a shame you stopped growin' Hell, let's grab a couple anyway." :lol:
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bressler3south wrote:"Someday, son," Carrill, said years ago, "you and me are going to grab a beer in Princeton." Last time I saw him, 10 years ago, I reminded him of the story and he said, "Damn, it's a shame you stopped growin' Hell, let's grab a couple anyway." :lol:
haha, Nice!

Those 'height estimate' things always seem to be off. Anyone here actually hit their's? When I was 7 or 8, the doctor told me I'd be around 6'1" or 6'2" probably. In sixth or seventh grade, I believe I was 5'9". I'm 29 now, and I'm 5'9". About average height, but annoyingly, all through rec basketball I learned to play as a 4 and 5, and then never grew another inch.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

SGreenwell wrote:
bressler3south wrote:"Someday, son," Carrill, said years ago, "you and me are going to grab a beer in Princeton." Last time I saw him, 10 years ago, I reminded him of the story and he said, "Damn, it's a shame you stopped growin' Hell, let's grab a couple anyway." :lol:
haha, Nice!

Those 'height estimate' things always seem to be off. Anyone here actually hit their's? When I was 7 or 8, the doctor told me I'd be around 6'1" or 6'2" probably. In sixth or seventh grade, I believe I was 5'9". I'm 29 now, and I'm 5'9". About average height, but annoyingly, all through rec basketball I learned to play as a 4 and 5, and then never grew another inch.
Same thing here. I'm a hair under 6 feet - and I've been this height since I was 13ish... Never grew again. Always a 4/5 growing up, and now I'd get killed under there being so undersized.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Too bad for you guys. I may have been 5'3" going into high school so I never played anything but baseball growing up, but between my Sophomore and Senior years I shot up over a foot to 6'5".
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

You grew a 12 inches in three years?!?!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I was 5'6" at 17, and 5'11" a year later, and grew though 22 to 6'2".
Of course I shrunk a couple of inches in height, since two spinal discs have dissolved.
Aging sucks ass!
But, I digress....we don't have a prayer for getting this kid.
His father used to hang around Harrick's practices.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Remember, Tomas won't be signing an LOI for 3 or 4 years. We could be a top 20 program by then. Who knows?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Yup, and my back has the stretch marks to prove it. Looks like I was caned.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rivals Nation ‏@RivalsNation 7h
24 pts & 14 rebs for @TomasMurphy33 today in front of Florida & several other D-1 schools. Tomas has been a monster in Indianapolis
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Every school in the country will soon be after Tomas...

Rivals Nation ‏@RivalsNation 36m
2017 @TomasMurphy33 adds Florida to list of scholarships that includes Boston College, Maryland, Providence & URI. #Top 5 prospect in USA
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Prout played in Middletown tonight, so I figured I'd go since I live about 8 minutes from Middletown HS. Just my luck...Tomas gets his 2nd foul about 4 or 5 minutes into the game. He sits most of the rest of the 1st half, but comes in with about 4 minutes left and picks up his 3rd and sits the rest of the half. He then picks up his 4th early in the 2nd half, sits most of the 2nd half, comes in with about 5 minutes left and fouls out with about 2 minutes left. I'd say he played about 12 minutes and scored 6 points. He definitely has some skills. He made one move on a fast break, getting the ball just over halfcourt, going with his left to the basket, spinning to his right and getting a layup on the right side of the rim. But it's hard to tell how good he might become at this stage. And I can't compare him to his brothers because I didn't see them play at that age. It's probably up to him, depending on how hard he wants to work on his game and his body. Jay was there. Mom was there wearing her Florida Gators sweatshirt. Alex was there wearing a Florida Gator jacket. I didn't see any URI or PC coaches there, although Don Kaull was there.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I was another who was 5'2" at 14, and 6'2" at 16. Grew another inch and a half by 18.

Growing a foot in 3 years, does some strange things to a person.

Had a hard time putting one foot in front of another I was so clumsy. Fortunately I became somewhat coordinated by college, but never played organized BB, just frat pickup games.

Actually I played some JV in high school, but mostly warmed the bench.

The docs told my brother at 12 , who has bigger hands and feet than I do, that he would be at least 6'5".

He ended up 5'9". Another "oops".
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm 5'11"" now. When I wore my disco boots, I was about 6'2."
When I was 15 I was the same height. A doctor told me I wouldn't grow anymore.
When I said I wanted a second opinion, he said "ok, you're ugly, too."
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Enough with these Murphy kids. None of them will ever play ball for URI. If I never hear anything again about this family I'd be a happy guy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Smokinjimit +1!!!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I agree.

We are wasting our time talking about them.

If we didn't get Alex, we're not getting Tomas.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

A lot can change in 3 years. We could be a top 20 program by then.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We could be, BB, but we're still a mid major.

The Murphys don't like mid majors.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

rambone 78 wrote:We could be, BB, but we're still a mid major.

The Murphys don't like mid majors.
Mid Major? How so?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Count me as one of those who believes we should not waste our time or any resources on this last iteration of the Murphys.

And in my definition....any school without big-time BCS football is a mid-major.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

High major
0 x
GO RAMS
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

I don't think it hurts to maintain good relations with the family - I mean, they're in Rhode Island. It's not going to take much effort to maintain a good relationship. They're going to be in contact with high level recruits themselves. For those reasons, it's better to have them relaying, "Well, URI wasn't really for us, but we do like Dan Hurley and the staff there." In true Rhode Island fashion, you never know when a friend-of-a-friend is going to be an important contact or influence for something, so there's no reason to burn bridges here, and I doubt the staff is doing that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Funny, the kid Alex mentioned Ed Cooley first in all his comments.
His mention of Hurley and URI, sounded like an afterthought.
Screw the Murphys. There's no need to kiss their asses.
We supposedly have people like Preston and Luke Murray, who have limitless contacts.
Why do we need Jay Murphy to "put in a word" for us?
Total nonsense.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Funny, the kid Alex mentioned Ed Cooley first in all his comments.
His mention of Hurley and URI, sounded like an afterthought.
Screw the Murphys. There's no need to kiss their asses.
We supposedly have people like Preston and Luke Murray, who have limitless contacts.
Why do we need Jay Murphy to "put in a word" for us?
Total nonsense.
That may just be the KMac PC bias while writing the article. Also since Alex prob knows KMac is the PC beat writer, maybe that why he thought he was mainly inquiring about PC.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I don't know the Murphy's, but this seems like a one sided relationship...they get to hang around the local D1 team and use their facilities...what do we get? Are they season ticket holders, big donors? Do they pay for their tickets? The only thing we get, if anything, is a bit of embarrassment every time they go to another school. It seems like they would like to go to a big time program instead of help build one.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Sorry Greenwell.....you must have listened to too many Bread songs in the past......I prefer the song written by Bruno Mars and Cee-Lo Green.....and Dr. Dre....me not out for peace and my not Rodney King....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Look, Coach Hurley will decide if recruiting the youngest Murphy is worth investing hundreds upon hundreds of hours of everyone's life. He wouldn't get a minute of mine, because obviously the grass is always greener elsewhere. And that's the kid's prerogative. Good for him, good riddance to all of them. Is it 2017 yet??????
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Ramulous wrote:Sorry Greenwell.....you must have listened to too many Bread songs in the past......I prefer the song written by Bruno Mars and Cee-Lo Green.....and Dr. Dre....me not out for peace and my not Rodney King....
I'm sure it's going to go over great with other recruits if he tells the Murphys to screw off. I mean, I realize that would be a great quote for the fan base, but again, recruiting seems to rely a lot on great networking, and noticing Player X on a team when you first went there to meet Player Y. It's probably a longshot that anything comes out of a connection or staying on cordial terms with the Murphys, absolutely, but there isn't any reason to completely burn bridges or ignore a prospect that's 15 minutes away from campus.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Some of you guys sounds like jilted lovers, get it together.

Look am I tired of hearing about the Murphy's? Sure. But, if Tomas' senior year comes around and Hurley & Co. are in a position to make a run at him then they should.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

He doesn't overtly tell the Murphys anything.....just ignore them....stop wasting time....
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Jeeez you guys are tough

I would think burning bridges is pretty pointless and not a good thing. Especially since the two schools they chose before were Duke and Florida and URI basically sucked at the time.

Could be a whole different story in four years...not worth burning a bridge to feel better about yourself. Plus, it probably isn't that time consuming to recruit a player right down the street from you.

You people need to even your meds out I'm worried about some of you.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Also it isn't a huge wast of time to "recruit" the kid from the town next door. When he decides to go somewhere else it is on him. If you decide to not recruit him you risk alienating locals. No win situation. Just let the kid play on our hoops and practice with our guys and wish him good luck riding the pine for a few years before Billy D decides to let him play.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I remember last year with the snow game against St Bonaventure on February 9 when the announced attendance was 1933. There were probably about 400 in the Ryan Center if you count the players from each team.
I sat beside Jay and Tomas Murphy behind the URI Bench.
Tomas was in the 8th grade and I would guess was 6'7" or 6'8" then.
You never know.
A kid may want to stay home and play for the "home town team". Maybe not follow in the Big Brother's Footsteps.
The book has not been completely written yet.
I'm not giving up hope yet.
There is a lot of time left in this Dan Hurley Journey and I'm still enjoying the ride.
A LOT better than the last DiGregoria/Baron years.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"I'm sure it's going to go over great with other recruits if he tells the Murphys to screw off."
OH YEAH! I'm sure that Preston's Michigan recruits, and Hurley's Jersey recruits will just run for cover because
of Jay Murphy.
Get real!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

There are more Murphys than Jacksons.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Come on guys, think big picture. It's helpful having the Murphy's around whether they come here or not. Having elite basketball players around our program helps us indirectly. They work out and play with our team, thereby making us better. Alex and Erik have been working out in Tootell and Keaney for years and are on a first name basis with current and former players. They're great guys, give 'em a break!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Yea our teams have totally grown from working out with the Murphys? We haven't been good since 2010.... it will be 2014 in a weeks time, so where are they helping us? Rod knows best on this.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Here's my thoughts about them working out in keaney. "Hey Murphy thanks for practicing with us"
" no problem guys . I love supporting my home team"
" you going to play for us one day?"
" hahaha o no no I'm going to Florida, good joke though"
0 x
GO RAMS
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

The family needs to do what they think is in the best interest of their family. We need to continue to upgrade our program into a nationally recognized and respected program. All of this other nonsense is pointless.
0 x