'14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: '14 WI PG - Jarvis Garrett (URI Signed LOI)

Unread post by adam914 »

Instantly becomes best hair on the team I think...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote:Instantly becomes best hair on the team I think...
Yes, but who is the best Hare on the team?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote:
adam914 wrote:Instantly becomes best hair on the team I think...
Yes, but who is the best Hare on the team?
We officially have no update or comment on that at this time.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hare?

Dan tweeted that first team get together is in 67 days.

Maybe we'll know by then. Or maybe not.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Welcome Jarvis!!!! All of Rhody Nation is happy to have you!! I'm looking forward to watching Jarvis and EC as URI's backcourt of the future.

Oh, and if your reading this Jarvis, love the hair, hope it is the beginning of an epic flat top!!!
0 x
Tom98
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Tom98 »

Stud PG.....check!!!! I am pumped about this kid
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

http://www.providencejournal.com/sports ... intent.ece
Article also answers Coach Hurley's wants and desires for the rest of the recruiting class….
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Hurley says he's looking for two more players. If my math is right that would be
12, leaving me to think that Hare would be number 13
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Barring some unforeseen circumstance, the 13th spot will be Hare or kept open. They recruit like he's not coming back while keeping his spot for him. There's no harm in doing that or some grand conspiracy or secret about the situation.

And welcome, Jarvis!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

ace wrote:Barring some unforeseen circumstance, the 13th spot will be Hare or kept open. They recruit like he's not coming back while keeping his spot for him. There's no harm in doing that or some grand conspiracy or secret about the situation.

And welcome, Jarvis!
That was my understanding, too. thanks.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

Have to assume this is about PM going to BC.

0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

He can't get out of his LOI can he?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Great, our key recruit pissed off. Wonderful.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Can't blame him for feeling a little but of scorn. It happens. He'll get over it.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jarvis is an important building block for our future and he is going to have a very good opportunity here even with coach Murphy going to BC. I am sure it is a bit of a shock to him but it is just a fact of life that people make career moves. The campus, educational opportunities, facilities, and head coach are all the same as they were yesterday. The team should be able to get the Ryan center rocking over the next few years. The future is still bright for him at URI. The key players are in place with just a few more needed to really do something big.
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

DeanDome88 wrote:The future is still bright for him at URI.
He gotta wear shades!

Sorry, had to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Even though I think in the big picture this won't make much of a difference for Jarvis, Dan should be on the next plane out to Milwaukee to nip any lingering discontent in the bud.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dan has a LOT on his plate for the next few weeks.

Seeing recruits, interviewing asst coach candidates, reassuring his players [and Jarvis especially], and everything else he usually does.
0 x
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

It looks like he deleted his prior tweet about being upset
0 x
Common sense is not common.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I honestly think the BC contact with URI about Preston happened pretty quickly. Maybe no more than a day or two ago.

Stuff like this happens fast. Sucks for us, though.

I certainly can understand URI's position of not making Preston the coach-in-waiting, just to keep him here.

It would have been nice if they could have offered him more than a token raise though. It may not have been enough to keep him anyway.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

rambone 78 wrote:I honestly think the BC contact with URI about Preston happened pretty quickly. Maybe no more than a day or two ago.

Stuff like this happens fast. Sucks for us, though.

I certainly can understand URI's position of not making Preston the coach-in-waiting, just to keep him here.

It would have been nice if they could have offered him more than a token raise though. It may not have been enough to keep him anyway.
Obviously with BC the window is smaller because Christian was just hired, but I had heard that Preston was generating interest as far back as December and this was always a concern for me. Not sure what else materialized for him or the reasons he didn't end up elsewhere but did end up at BC, but this isn't a shock for me.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Preston was a star in the making.

Making 100K doing what he was doing, and being really good at it, was just a matter of time before he was gone.

URI couldn't come close to matching what BC was offering. Maybe in a couple of years or more, after a couple of NCAA bids and the resulting increased revenue, they could up the assistants' salary to where it would be somewhat competitive with the BC's of the world.

Just like with Dan, URI can't put the cart before the horse. Success has to come before the rewards for it do.

At least I think Dooley and Thorr know that those rewards will have to be there once the wins come. Get that checkbook ready!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

At least we don't have to worry about Garrett following Preston
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I don't think we have to worry about Jarvis...

0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:Preston was a star in the making.

Making 100K doing what he was doing, and being really good at it, was just a matter of time before he was gone.

URI couldn't come close to matching what BC was offering. Maybe in a couple of years or more, after a couple of NCAA bids and the resulting increased revenue, they could up the assistants' salary to where it would be somewhat competitive with the BC's of the world.

Just like with Dan, URI can't put the cart before the horse. Success has to come before the rewards for it do.

At least I think Dooley and Thorr know that those rewards will have to be there once the wins come. Get that checkbook ready!
Chicken and the egg. URI in a couple if years can afford to pay Preston's salary. Or you pay it now. You could lose far more than the salary needed to keep him now in lost recruits, players leaving or not coming, lost momentum, diminished respect for a program that is trying to show it is on the rise, etc,. Again I said you could, not would. I am not saying the sky is falling and woe is us but I am saying why not now, why wait. Boston college is not waiting. Typical Rhode Island inferiority complex sets in as usual. Woe is URI.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rambone 78 wrote:Just like with Dan, URI can't put the cart before the horse. Success has to come before the rewards for it do.
Rambone, this is the kind of closed minded thinking that Rhode Island has come to know and love. BUT, having been in business for many,many years I have come to learn that it takes money to make money. If a business couldn't put more money in before it made money this country would be non existent. If by paying Preston an additional $100K meant more recruits, which means better results, which means more seats fillled and NCAA money would you pay it? Or would you wait until it happened? If I was President I would write this off to R&D and call it a day.
0 x
Rhody4012016
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rhody4012016 »

Maybe Garrett knows something we dont why would he delete his tweet and then post this picture?
0 x
Give me football or give me death
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

theblueram wrote:
rambone 78 wrote:Just like with Dan, URI can't put the cart before the horse. Success has to come before the rewards for it do.
Rambone, this is the kind of closed minded thinking that Rhode Island has come to know and love. BUT, having been in business for many,many years I have come to learn that it takes money to make money. If a business couldn't put more money in before it made money this country would be non existent. If by paying Preston an additional $100K meant more recruits, which means better results, which means more seats fillled and NCAA money would you pay it? Or would you wait until it happened? If I was President I would write this off to R&D and call it a day.
That's all well and good, but there is always something you could spend more money on if you had more money. Right now our investment has been in removing our old coach, hiring a new coach and upgrading facilities and program infrastructure. When that stuff starts paying dividends you can reinvest those dividends into greatly expanding the salary pool for the coaches. You can't overinvest too soon, either. You have to have a plan for growth and stick to it.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

A lot of funny stuff today and yesterday about URI pulling ACC money out its ass for an assistant coach, but just "write this off" is by far my favorite.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

+1
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

BFC wrote:A lot of funny stuff today and yesterday about URI pulling ACC money out its ass for an assistant coach, but just "write this off" is by far my favorite.
BFC in this State, with the number 1 politician under FBI investigation, a pension system more corrupt than heroin trafficing and a Governor who is just collecting a paycheck and spending state money, I have no problem spending money on a state institution that is dedicated to educating our youth. I would rather spend the money on assistant coaches than a fraudulent government welfare system. So yes, write this expense off and charge it to Gordon Fox's campaign fund.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

theblueram wrote:
BFC wrote:A lot of funny stuff today and yesterday about URI pulling ACC money out its ass for an assistant coach, but just "write this off" is by far my favorite.
BFC in this State, with the number 1 politician under FBI investigation, a pension system more corrupt than heroin trafficing and a Governor who is just collecting a paycheck and spending state money, I have no problem spending money on a state institution that is dedicated to educating our youth. I would rather spend the money on assistant coaches than a fraudulent government welfare system. So yes, write this expense off and charge it to Gordon Fox's campaign fund.
That's great, you have my vote, not sure what any of it has to do with the reality that Dooley, Thorr, and the rest of us live in though.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

I'm really excited to see Jarvis play here. Love his game, he's going to be so fun to watch. Despite Preston leaving, I still feel we are on the right track with the guys we have. I have no doubt we will find a very good replacement for Preston... Great things ahead for us.

Go Rhody!!!
0 x
RoadyJay
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RoadyJay »

Mongo wrote:I'm really excited to see Jarvis play here. Love his game, he's going to be so fun to watch. Despite Preston leaving, I still feel we are on the right track with the guys we have. I have no doubt we will find a very good replacement for Preston... Great things ahead for us.

Go Rhody!!!
Yes Mongo!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

Mongo wrote:I'm really excited to see Jarvis play here. Love his game, he's going to be so fun to watch. Despite Preston leaving, I still feel we are on the right track with the guys we have. I have no doubt we will find a very good replacement for Preston... Great things ahead for us.

Go Rhody!!!
Indeed!!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I'm on board with this too.

Nice to see that Preston sat down with the team and also talked to Garrett, and reassured them that everything will be fine here. Classy move [and a necessary move imo] indeed.

Now it's time to look and move forward.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rambone 78 wrote:I'm on board with this too.

Nice to see that Preston sat down with the team and also talked to Garrett, and reassured them that everything will be fine here. Classy move [and a necessary move imo] indeed.

Now it's time to look and move forward.
Absolutely Classy!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'd be surprised if he didn't.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein 8m
Impact A 10 frosh in 14-15: Terry Larrier (VCU), Eric Paschall (Fordham), Jarvis Garrett (URI), Amar Stukes (La Salle), James Demery (SJU)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Garrett ended up at #12 in the final NERR rankings. Terrell ended up at #8. The funny thing is that Terrell was the 4th highest ranked player on his own Brewster team! That gives you an idea of what kind of talent there is in New England. Garrett was a great start for recruiting the region. Now it's time to get more!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Billyboy78 wrote:Garrett ended up at #12 in the final NERR rankings. Terrell ended up at #8. The funny thing is that Terrell was the 4th highest ranked player on his own Brewster team! That gives you an idea of what kind of talent there is in New England. Garrett was a great start for recruiting the region. Now it's time to get more!!!
Bravo, bravo, BRAVO, Billyboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Gee, didn't I read on this board, that the big guys recruit NE,
so we should look elsewhere?
What a load of crap. With BABC, Expressions and a slew of top prep schools
here in NE, it's smart money to recruit close to home.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Gee, didn't I read on this board, that the big guys recruit NE,
so we should look elsewhere
?
I'm thoroughly confused by you, Rod. Wasn't it you who said (when talking about Terrell and other highly-rated players), that we shouldn't get involved with "the big guys?"
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Real excited about an EC and Garrett backcourt, and really hoping we can add Cooke to it.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston wrote:Gee, didn't I read on this board, that the big guys recruit NE,
so we should look elsewhere?
I wrote the big guys recruit NE and no New England programs have really excelled recruiting primarily here. I didn't say anything about we shouldn't recruit here however so I'm not sure if its my post being responded to or not.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Murray is said to have good connections in New England. There is tons of talent in New England. We are in New England. This is the region we should try and get the higher rated guys, along with NJ/NY kids. Doesn't it just make too much sense?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Look, the elite of the elite New England players like Isaac Copeland, Goodluck Okonoboh, Abdul Malik Abu and Kaleb Joseph will go to the elite basketball schools and are realistically out of our range. But the next level such as Jared Terrell, Devonte Graham and Jarvis Garrett are the type of kids we should be going after. We got one of them and almost got another. Loads of talent, short economical recruiting trips, good business.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Will those who want to crap all over what I said, read what I said first.
I said recruit big players within the context of existing pipelines.
Preston got EC, but he also had a slew of others in the Detroit area that he
was recruiting.
It helps to have an in with these big time guys. SH got Whitehead by hiring his coach.
It's relatives, friends, teammates, or some connection, that makes it different than
pell mell chasing names you circled ,merely because they're on some list of top players.
I also said recruiting ANYONE in NE is fine, because it's time and cost effective,
because it's close and convenient for face to face contact.
BFC, you know your stuff, and I was not referring to your post.
Billyboy, as usual, has his feet on the ground and sees the big picture.
Do you think Dan Hurley is someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of recruiting?
Don't forget, every big name coach East of the Mississippi came to St. Benedict's
to recruit his players.
He knows how the game works. He also knows the extent of his reach.
0 x