'13 GA PG Evan Payne (Loyola Marymount Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

'13 GA PG Evan Payne (Loyola Marymount Commit)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Garrett Tucker:

Future150 Southeast Analyst. Covering high school basketball across the Southeast.

Birmingham, AL (Future150) -- When Rhode Island landed Dan Hurley as their head coach from Wagner, the fan base was ecstatic, and they still are today. And it looks like high school kids are buying into the hire, too.

Evan Payne, a combo guard attending Kingdom Prep (GA) this season, has grown very fond of the Rams and their revitalized program. Among all the high-majors in pursuit of him at this point, the high-flying athlete says the Hurleys are sticking out right now.

“I really like Rhode Island. I like Coach [Dan] Hurley,” he began. “They have a proven point guard staff and the Hurley brothers are some of the best point guards to play.”

USC, San Diego State, Cleveland State, Akron, Nebraska, and St. Bonaventure are other schools showing high interest in Payne to this point.

Several schools are coming after the PG.

The 6-foot-2 guard doesn’t have many factors into his recruitment. Like most players his age, playing time is a must.

“I just want to go where I can play, and I would also like a good, passionate fan base. I also like Rhode Island because they have a senior point guard,” he added.

While he is very talented in several aspects of his game, Payne has been working to continue to improve since his move from Huntington Prep.

“I’ve been working on my jumper a lot. I like to get up and down, so I like to finish at the basket. I know I need to work on my shot.”

Who is our senior PG? He wants playing time? Guess he never heard of EC Matthews, not to mention,Powell, Minnis and Buchanan ahead of him. Very strange. Pretty blah bunch of suitors, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '13 PG GA Evan Payne

Unread post by ace »

Nothing against this guy, but I read that article earlier and thought, good for you and hope you find a school that fits but it isn't URI no matter how much you like the coaches. It makes so little sense that you wonder if the writer messed up something. I wasn't aware of Future 150 until I saw the retweet.

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Whoever told this kid that we have a senior point guard must be mixing us up with PC.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This could just be a young man trying to say the right things and getting confused about the various schools talking to him.

Reading a little about him, he seems to be a pretty proficient scorer.
They are most likely looking at him as a SG, which seems to be the one position we are determined to fill.
Looks very athletic in the one YouTube video on him.
I am past the point of questioning this staff's decision making WRT prospects.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And our boy 12345 is asking them if he's going to commit to URI. Ugh!
I don't think this one is a staff decision, I think it's a kid with an idea in his head. I could be wrong.
He's been to three schools in two years. Transferred from prep to high school this week, only to find out that he can't play, due to the school rules.
Obvviously he and whoever is around him did zero research, just as they didn't research URI.
The kid hasn't visited here, and obviously is in the dark about things,
and just isn't a fit. A 6'1" two guard, when there's guys like Pollard and Williams out there?
He's not even anywhere to be found on ESPN. He's not mentioned by any of the Twitter recruiting tweets.
He thinks he can get playing time, when there's four PGs on the roster for 2013.
Just nutty.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Whoever told this kid that we have a senior point guard must be mixing us up with PC.
Ummm...kris Dunn?
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not even going to bother with a profile for now, unless we hear something else. He is a '13 recruit that isn't even on the radar of any of the recruiting websites? Seems unlikely that he is the guy the Hurleys tap to fill out the class (although if I'm wrong I'll gladly apologize to Mr. Payne and Mr. Tucker).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
860_rhody
Lamar Odom

Re: '13 GA PG Evan Payne (Loyola Marymount Commit)

Unread post by 860_rhody »

Heard he's transferring. I know he wants playing time, but is there a chance he comes here, and maybe he comes off the bench as a sixth man?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don't see this at all. We never recruited him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Long beach state
0 x