'15 MA SG Terance Mann (Florida State Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '15 MA SG Terance Mann (Offer)

Unread post by bigappleram »

My only issue with this kid is this, would you want to go to a school where your Mom was so close by? Could be seen as an advantage and disadvantage pending the kid. That said, I know this kid has been described as a different type of kid, very focused and has a rock solid bond with his mother.....but still, that is something to consider.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I was thinking the exact same thing big apple.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From Terance himself (player diary)

http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=8702
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I like the fact that he and his mom are going over his college choices.....she seems to play a strong role in his life.....I feel he is an important recruit for us from the standpoint of outward appearances.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:From Terance himself (player diary)

http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=8702
What does he know about it anyway...
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

The schools he mentions don't blow me away. Unless of course he is drawn by Asu's rep... But TTU?? That place is supposed to be a wasteland. Or I should say that there are drawbacks to all those listed.

Not exactly the top tier.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

McNamara commented on Mann in today's paper:

One interesting recruit to follow will be new Narragansett resident Terance Mann. He’s a 6-6 forward and top-100 recruit whose mother is Daynia La-Force, the new women’s coach at URI. Mann, who attends Tilton (N.H.) Academy, led the Boston Amateur Basketball Club to its 42nd final four finish last week at the AAU national championships in Louisville.

Both URI and PC “showed terrific interest,” in Mann, according to BABC coach Leo Papile. Mann is considering both schools, as well as Boston College, Florida State, Marquette, Arizona State and others.

Offseason turns into busy season for PC’s Cooley
http://digital.olivesoftware.com/Olive/ ... w=ZW50aXR5

Apparently the offseason is a busy season for coach Cooley. Isn't it the same for other local coaches or do they just take it easy in the summer recruiting period?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Coach Cooley's involvement with the US National squad and gearing up for PC's trip to Italy have put pressures on his time that no other local coach has this year.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I'll give you the first point, but the latter is moot....what is he doing, getting a belly band in advance of devouring some pasta? Prep for a trip like that is not being done by the HC, he is sitting back and getting on the plane he is told to get on.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

seanmc94 wrote:Coach Cooley's involvement with the US National squad and gearing up for PC's trip to Italy have put pressures on his time that no other local coach has this year.
Cooley is busy. I get that. All coaches however are busy at this time of the year.

The headline made it appear that only Cooley is busy and only references PC yet the article has some URI info. URI probably would not have ever had recruiting targets mentioned (this article or any other) if PC wasn't also involved. It was the Providence Journal and Kevin McNamara once again acting as if the state had only one D1 program.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

While I agree in principle, RF1, Kevin Mac did not write the headline.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

RF1 is correcrt. If Kmac didn't mention schools involved
with kids PC is after, URI gets ZERO mention.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And Rhody pretty much can't win the PR talk with this, regardless of how his decision goes. Good thing the coaches don't care about that.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

Great news!!! This would be huge and continue our trajectory!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

No PC on that list...I guess they stopped recruiting him.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

The last post on the PC board was a tweet saying they were three deep for Mann a few weeks back.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

And their first post is up about he was a secondary option anyway and they got in late that's why their weren't in the final 6.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Donovan Mitchell has been A-1 priority for Cooley and Co for 2 years now.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

So they are only chasing one guard hard? Like they wouldn't take both if they could get them anyway.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:Donovan Mitchell has been A-1 priority for Cooley and Co for 2 years now.
Sean, maybe you can help answer something then, why do Cooley and other PC coaches waste so much time following around kids they don't want?
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

So, I guess Mitchell is the only guy they are recruiting. If he goes to Louisville, as most think he will, does that mean that PC was not recruiting him anymore either?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

PC didn't stop recruiting Mann.
Mitchell is their top priority.
You need to have contingency plans; see Abu(Bentil).
Mann will be a special player. Hope Cooleys efforts pay off.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

We could really use this after losing out on Reuter. We need to keep the recruiting momentum going until we can finally get some wins on the court.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Latest narrowed down lists for these two premier players have Florida State and Boston College in common.

Mann - Indiana, Marquette, Arizona state, Florida State, Boston College, Rhode Island
Mitchell - Louisville, Villanova, Providence, Florida State, Boston College
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

CT Rhody wrote:So they are only chasing one guard hard? Like they wouldn't take both if they could get them anyway.
They wouldn't. It's been stated several times in PC circles that PC increasing their recruitment to Mann had a lot to do with the increased interest/production of Mitchell. But they would only take 1, and Mitchell is clearly option A. Think the staff underestimated how quickly all of these recruitments would come together though. It's early August, and several players already have their final lists. Think they thought they had a little more time to make an impression. Can't predict these things though, on to the next one.
Adam914 wrote:Why do Cooley and other PC coaches waste so much time following around kids they don't want?
Who said Cooley didn't want Mann? Just because a school priortizes players differently, doesn't mean they don't want them. PC didn't start recruiting Mann until recently. They thought they could sell him on the playing time and recent success, and create a nice backup plan in case Mitchell chooses elsewhere. Every school needs backup plans. But as Rod illustrated last year, a school has 3 or 4 scholarships, and offers tens if not hundreds of prospective recruits. Unfortunately until a kid creates a list and/or cuts it, who knows where all of these kids stand. Look at Reuter. UVA offers him one day, makes the list Day 2, and he's committed there a week later.
ramster wrote:Latest narrowed down lists for these two premier players have Florida State and Boston College in common.

Mann - Indiana, Marquette, Arizona state, Florida State, Boston College, Rhode Island
Mitchell - Louisville, Villanova, Providence, Florida State, Boston College
It's certainly interesting. BC obviously has made an impact with the new coaching staff, hearing a lot of people impressed, although who knows what sort of impact it will have until they start winning. Hopefully for them, they aren't like Cooley when he first got to PC, making lots of final lists but never really having a shot at a lot of guys. It's interesting to see FSU make both lists, they have a lot of depth at the 2. Both Thomas and Brandon were Top 60 recruits, and will both be on the roster next year, and they have other 2's in the system. Perhaps they can convince these kids to move over and split time at the 3, but I would feel that wouldn't be ideal if avoidable. But kudos to their staff to make these final lists even with roster constraints.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Retweeted by Terance
Courtside Films ‏@CourtsideFilms 46m
Terance Mann New Mixtape (EYBL BABC)
http://www.courtsidefilms.com/news_arti ... id=1200952
@TeranceMann @D1Circuit @thebabc @Mikerodriguez11
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Come on in, the water is fine. URI ocean>PC river!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Hurley Show wrote:Come on in, the water is fine. URI ocean>PC river!
This one is against BC, unless he wants to leave New England.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Good luck trying to swim in the ocean after class from Boston College.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not sold that Mann is coming to URI just because his mom is the women's coach. That thinking didn't even hold water for Jim Baron's son Billy. I do however think his mom's position made going to PC very unlikely given the PR ramifications.

Mann still doesn't have strong connections to the area having just moved here. He has been going to camps and goes off to prep school in a few weeks thus further reducing his time in South County. Hopefully he has played some pick up games with members of the men's team and gotten friendly with them. Playing so close to home is somtimes not what a player is looking for. The flip side however is that his mom and family could easily take in many games. The pressure would be no where near as bad for Terrance as it was for either Jimmy or Billy playing for their Dad. Playing at URI however could frequently impact the relationship between his mom, Danny, and the athletic dept.

I still think there is a long way to with Mann. Boston College seems to be strongly pursuing him and he is quite familiar with the Boston area and may like the allure of playing in the ACC. Time will tell.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Mann and Billy is not a good comparison because Mann wouldn't be playing for his mother. Whether that would be a positive or negative depends on the specific relationship, but it isn't apples to apples.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Truepoint beat me to it. Agree it's not fair to compare to the Barons' situation.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mann cut his list last week, and PC isn't on it.
Why the mention of PC after that?
Looks like mom is doing a good job of recruiting him.
I want this kid to come here, whatever his reason.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

This could be the player to truly put us over the top.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

“Obviously URI is the option if he stays at home." This is an interesting comment. By "home" does she mean RI and then it just means what we already know -- he's not going to PC. Or by "home" does she mean "close to home," which would be bad news for BC.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

RF1 wrote:Playing at URI however could frequently impact the relationship between his mom, Danny, and the athletic dept.
I don't think it would strain the relationship, she is a division 1 women's coach. She knows/understands how teams work and I wouldn't expect her to think her son will play all the time just because she's at the school.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

"Until only a few months ago, Terance Mann barely knew Rhode Island had any beaches."
I guess the Ocean State branding campaign is a bust.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Always preferred the "Discover Rhode Island" license plate…..
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I'd like to see URI follow the lead of a lot of other universities and come up with a URI license plate.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

Hurley Show wrote:
Come on in, the water is fine. URI ocean>PC river!

This one is against BC, unless he wants to leave New England.

Billy, that was for Sean. OT but I wonder is Sean is actually that annoying carrot top that used to be the announcer for PC. They both have a similar irritation factor.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Section104 wrote:
Well, at least I know that Terrance Mann is intelligent, considerate, and REFRESHING!!! All the best to him!!!!!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Getting Mann would really set us up for a spectacular URI squad. One that might exceed any that I have ever seen.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I'd like to see URI follow the lead of a lot of other universities and come up with a URI license plate.
We briefly had one in 1992 for the school's centennial. If the DMV would come out with one today I would sign up on the spot.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.