'14 NY PF - D.J. Foreman (Rutgers)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'14 NY PF - D.J. Foreman (Rutgers)

Unread post by BFC »

D.J. Foreman - PF
School: Massanuten Milltary Academy (VA)
Travel/AAU: Boo Williams

Ht: 6'9"
Wt: 220 lbs

RANKINGS:
Rivals: 3 Star, #120 in 2014
ESPN: 3 Stars, 79 Grade, #23 PF
247: 4 Star, 92 Grade, #84 Nat'l, #22 PF

OFFERS:
Rhode Island
Alabama
Auburn
Creighton
Iowa
Iowa State
James Madison
Kent State
Miami
Minnesota
Ohio State
Pittsburgh
Providence
Temple
VCU
UAB
Western Kentucky

INTEREST:
Kansas
Kentucky
Oklahoma
Stanford
Virginia
Virginia Tech
He is considering reclassifying to the Class of 2013, meaning he would be on a college campus in the fall, but he said he prefers to stay at Massanutten until 2014.

“I’m probably leaning more towards 2014,” Foreman said. “I feel like a lot of colleges have seen me but I need to work on my jump shot before I get to college. I want to be a complete player going into college.”

Two schools that appear to have an early edge with Foreman are Rhode Island and Minnesota.

Dwayne Foreman, D.J.’s father, said he may visit Rhode Island by himself this weekend while D.J. takes the SAT.

Rhode Island is loaded next year,” Moore said. “Dan Hurley is the coach and he’s one of the best developers in the business.”
http://zagsblog.com/articles/d-j-forema ... more-95300

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecru ... man-139763
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/baske ... dj-foreman
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/d-j-foreman
Last edited by BFC 9 years ago, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 NY PF - D.J. Foreman

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This stuff just gets better and better!

2014 DJ Foreman Next Kevin Durant? 2eZ Mixtape | Fantastic ...
Basketball hilights of 2014 DJ Foreman Next Kevin Durant? 2eZ Mixtape. 6’7” Forward with a 7’3” wingspan Dwayne Foreman is able to use his length. www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TmbtzHlJBo -
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I would think URI would have a much better shot if he's a 2013 than if he's a 2014.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to get him to reclassify. Big O part two.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Now this would be clutch
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

“Rhode Island is loaded next year,” Moore said. “Dan Hurley is the coach and he’s one of the best developers in the business. - DJs father. Sounds like his dad has a lot of influence on his decision
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Another lefty! He seems to have a lot of the same qualities that Hassan Martin has. I wonder which one of them is considered to be the better prospect?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Probably this kid. Kentucky is talking to him.
6'9" 220lbs, 7'3" wingspan. Wow!
Who knows?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Just to be clear, his father is Dwayne Foreman; Mike Moore is his "advisor."

Getting him to reclassify would seem to be a tough sell.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

DJ's father possibly visiting URI this weekend is very significant.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:DJ's father possibly visiting URI this weekend is very significant.
I agree. With the LOI period going on right now, it would seem that his father's visit might possibly be tied to reclassifying...or maybe not, just a guess.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Come on down, D.J.!
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Actually, that article says he's a PF. So the possible negative in selling him to come here is that he plays the same position as our best player.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

This time of year the campus looks great. Hope he had a good visit.
0 x
MrRamsDen76
Michael Andersen

Unread post by MrRamsDen76 »

If this kid has Kentucky looking at him with their eight NBA 1st round draft choices on their roster, I don't think he is going to be intimidated by URI's roster. Please don't take this as a knock against URI roster, I'm crazy about the guys we have and their potential.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

MrRamsDen76 wrote:If this kid has Kentucky looking at him with their eight NBA 1st round draft choices on their roster, I don't think he is going to be intimidated by URI's roster. Please don't take this as a knock against URI roster, I'm crazy about the guys we have and their potential.
Yeah, but Kentucky's guys don't tend to stick around (and I continue to think that's ok) plus you get the hype of playing for Kentucky. If a lower school can get this done this year, great, but it looks like his recruitment will move to a new level if he stays a '14.

If they want to use the Italy trip as an incentive for any player, he needs to be on campus and enrolled this summer to get to go.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 29 Apr
Really liked 6-8 athletic slasher Dwayne Foreman. Will play a winning role 4 a high major regardless if they realize it or not now.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Billyboy78 wrote:Actually, that article says he's a PF. So the possible negative in selling him to come here is that he plays the same position as our best player.
Maybe he'd be a redshirt candidate? Might work out for both parties since it seems like he'd interested in taking another year to develop his game. Also, his career would then have one less year of overlap with Biruta's.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

This young man will not want to sit out a year. He's eligible to play high school ball at the very least. His father, on the other hand, may have lots of other ideas…..
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Kentucky as 3,5,7,8,9 and 25 ESPN ranked 2013 Class coming in. They also have the 5th ranked player for 2014 already announced.
I don't think I have ever heard of one team getting 5 of the Top 10 players in one year - not even the Michigan Fab 5 had that.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Yeah, it's pretty well believed that the UK '13 class is the best they've ever had even considering their absurd standards lately, and likely the best class of all time. At least rankings-wise, we'll see how it plays out on the court. Might be very interesting considering how many excellent teams there seem to be for next year. Most of them will have less talent, but more experience than UK.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

I really hate the idea of red shirting anyone. Has anyone seen the latest trend in basketball? It's guys like Tarik Black. If a guy has graduated, they can transfer without penalty. So lets say he (or anyone for that matter, even a guy Blake Vedder for example) comes in and red shirts. If he commits himself, and becomes a big time player, he would be able to transfer to a place like Kentucky or Duke for his final year. To me, I just don't see the point in bringing someone in to red shirt. Either they are good enough for a scholarship, or you move on to the next one.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Bos8 wrote:I really hate the idea of red shirting anyone. Has anyone seen the latest trend in basketball? It's guys like Tarik Black. If a guy has graduated, they can transfer without penalty. So lets say he (or anyone for that matter, even a guy Blake Vedder for example) comes in and red shirts. If he commits himself, and becomes a big time player, he would be able to transfer to a place like Kentucky or Duke for his final year. To me, I just don't see the point in bringing someone in to red shirt. Either they are good enough for a scholarship, or you move on to the next one.
Let me cherry-pick a random example too: Kelly Olynyk.
Sat out the 2011-12 season AFTER already playing two seasons of limited minutes while Sacre was in front of him, comes back after a year of strengthening/skill building and is a National POY candidate.

Like the argument of Hurley leaving after a few NCAA trips, it would be a GREAT problem to have if we have "big time players" who are looking to transfer up after a few years of being great at URI.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

And Olynyk is leaving with eligibility left. If he doesn't red shirt, and rides the pine in 11-12 you are in the same situation. He would be going off to the NBA anyway. If for some reason you like a kid who isn't ready, I get stashing them at a prep school. If we can take a non-qualifier who has to sit out a year before playing, I'm also fine with that. But I'm not sold on bringing a guy in with the intentions to red shirt him.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I think the reason you would get the kid now (rather than sending him to prep) is so that he could be officially enrolled, rather than just "committed," having a great prep year, and then losing him to a bigger school. Another benefit to bringing him on is incorporating him into the team culture/philosophy sooner, and having Hurley and assistants responsible for his development rather than prep school coaches.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like the idea of bringing this kid in ASAP.
He looks like he could be a major chip for us.
Big guys are always in foul trouble, so he'd play plenty.
If he's worried about immediate playing time, he's not going to find it at a
big time school.
Imagine a frontcourt with DJ, Biruta, Onyekaba and Martin? Scary!
I liked Foster, too, but he seems leaning towards Tubby.
Guys like Foreman and Foster, who can face up, shoot, and put the ball on the floor,
are gold.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

sf2010 wrote:I think the reason you would get the kid now (rather than sending him to prep) is so that he could be officially enrolled, rather than just "committed," having a great prep year, and then losing him to a bigger school. Another benefit to bringing him on is incorporating him into the team culture/philosophy sooner, and having Hurley and assistants responsible for his development rather than prep school coaches.

I wasn't specifically talking about this kid when I mentioned prepping. In fact, when you have a kid prep, there is a chance that they develop beyond your level. I feel that if a kid is ready then you sign him. If he isn't then you move on. I don't like the idea of red shirting. I don't think him red shirting is an option that is even being discussed.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Looks like if he stays at '14, he'll be above us. If we can convince him to go to '13, and redshirt the year (learn, develop that jumper he mentioned) that seems like the best option. I feel like a commitment and a prep year isn't close to being officially enrolled, especially when bigger schools come calling. The idea of him leaving with eligibility left (ie. Tarik Black) is a so-called "good" problem to have.
0 x
Go Rhody!
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Maybe we can get Andrew Wiggins to come here and redshirt too.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Red shirting works well in football for linemen, who have to be a different kind of physically developed that you can't reasonably expect from a high school senior. Otherwise it isn't a great idea, IMO.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

If this young man, with solid guidance from his family, wants to go to URI -- and Coach Dan Hurley wants him and has a plan for him -- THEN BRING HIM IN!!!!!!! THE MORE THE MERRIER!!! ALL FOR ONE, AND ONE FOR ALL!!! COMPETITION, COMPETITION,COMPETITION -- COMPETITION FOR PLAYING TIME, COMPETITION FOR AN A-10 TITLE, COMPETITION FOR AN NCAA BID, AND THE ULTIMATE PRIZE!!!
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Can we stop the nonsense about red shirting him. It won't happen.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Watching him around the basket and driving the lane….left-handed…and I did see him jr./sr. years in high school…..he has a lot of characteristics of Sylvester "Sly" Williams….
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:Watching him around the basket and driving the lane….left-handed…and I did see him jr./sr. years in high school…..he has a lot of characteristics of Sylvester "Sly" Williams….
That's a big statement because Sly could do it all on a basketball court.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Earlier in this thread, I posted someone comparing him to Kevin Durant.
So, Sly, Durant or a reasonable facimile, would be great.
It's exciting to see us involved with this caliber player!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Characteristics…not the exact same game. Around the rim, following-up shots, creating driving lane space. Also, Sly was not close to a "pure shooter" until he was a junior in college, having a 90%+ consistency rate on the mechanics of that "set-shot jumper" of his…When he measured-up, you knew he was on his game. :D
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Dan Bodner ‏@KYHoopsBuzz 30 Apr
Dwayne Foreman is a 6'7" PF who flew under the radar until this weekend. Boo Williams called him his most improved player. Great athlete.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Any word on whether or not DJ's dad came to Kingston this weekend?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

On rhodyrampage.com there is a short snippet on D.J mentioning Kentucky could only take him in 2014, so Rhody's best shot would be as a 2013 qualifier.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Yeah, that was per Zags' piece on Foreman. The more I read the more it seems like a long shot, but to quote Dumb and Dumber... "so you're saying there's a chance..."

Still no word on if he dad was in Rhody this weekend... at least not that I've heard.

Here's the full write-up:

http://rhodyrampage.com/2013/05/07/rhod ... j-foreman/
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 2h
2014 F @DJForeman11 has added offers from Pitt and Auburn, per his mentor, Mike Moore
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 25 May
PF Dwayne Foreman is a Gopher target fans in the Twin Cities would appreciate. Constant on the glass and he takes bigs off the dribble.

As a four man Dewayne Foreman puts the ball down incredibly well. Wasn't expecting that. Rebounds like a man too. #EYBL

Boo Williams PF Dwayne Foreman will be taking an unofficial visit to Minnesota on Monday.

Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 26 May
Dwayne Foreman dealt with foul trouble but still recorded 18 points, making all 7 field goals and 4 free throws. 5 dunks. Always active.

Ryan James Ryan James ‏@RyanJamesMN 26 May
Dwayne Foreman has 2 dunks, 2 free throws, blown up 2 ball screens. Love him as a college player. Post battles in this game are fierce #EYBL
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There's the stretch 4 Hurley and Co. has been looking for.
Be nice to grab him in the fall, before he blows up.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

rodfromcranston wrote:There's the stretch 4 Hurley and Co. has been looking for.
Be nice to grab him in the fall, before he blows up.
I'm still hoping we grab him in the summer! This kid's school and his father sound like exactly what Hurley wants.

(His school is a military one, up at Reveille(spelling) bed at 10.00 etc etc etc.

I hope that DJ can see that Hurley will be an extension of his dad.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 26m
Speaking of Minnesota recruiting in NY/NJ, 2014 F D.J. Foreman took an unofficial there last week. Also has interest from UCLA & Kansas
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Profile updated (offers, 247 ratings, profile pic)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Re: '14 NY PF - D.J. Foreman (Offer)

Unread post by ace »

Reports (Zagoria and SNY) say he committed to Rutgers- whether as a '13 or '14 wasn't mentioned. Really interesting. I guess he really liked Jordan and Rutgers, as it seemed like his recruitment really could have blown up if he stayed open. Additional reports are listing him as still a '14.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

http://zagsblog.com/articles/2014-forwa ... o-rutgers/

Staying a '14, and Rutgers recruited him as a 3, not a 4.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Watch, the story of D.J. Foreman isn't done yet, as Rutgers Basketball being Rutgers Basketball will somehow, someway screw-up. Jordan not having a degree, State Legislature's inquiry of the new A.D. and President Barchi, etc., will influence Foreman's dad to advise his son at the last-second that Rutgers is not the place to be.
Trust seemed to be a priority with the dad. How can you trust a coach who can't remember if he earned his Bachelor of Arts degree? Someone probably will ask the Foremans that at some point….There are still 10 months to go until Letter-of-Intent Day. More stuff will leak…. :? :? :? :? :? :?
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x