'15 IN SF - Ryan Fazekas (Providence)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

'15 IN SF - Ryan Fazekas (Providence)

Unread post by BFC »

Ryan Fazekas - SF
School: Marquette
Travel/AAU:

Ht: 6'7"
Wt: 180 lbs

RANKINGS:
Rivals: NR
ESPN:
Scout:

OFFERS:
Valparaiso

INTEREST:
Rhode Island
Indiana
Michigan
Michigan State
Northwestern
Ohio State
PC*
Purdue
Xavier

*Verbally Committed 10/29/13

"Since then, Big Ten schools like Michigan and Michigan State have gotten involved and recently Providence and Rhode Island joined the fray."
http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/articles ... 145811.txt

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... WAAz7XO5B4
http://verbalcommits.com/players/ryan-fazekas
http://247sports.com/Player/Ryan-Fazekas-20139
Last edited by BFC 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '15 IN SF - Ryan Fazekas

Unread post by sf2010 »

I wonder if he's any relation to Nick Fazekas...skilled big man who played for Nevada a few years back.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Love the size for a SG.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Per Alex Kline:
Really like 2015's DJ Williams & Ryan Fazekas of Chicago Meanstreets (IL). Long, versatile wings who can put it on the floor. #PeachJam
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: '15 IN SF - Ryan Fazekas (Providence)

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Committed to PC, and he's 2015! Ugh!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Looks like Dan wasn't kidding when he said he can be selective. :)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not getting the connection, ATP.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

We can tend to look at all these as recruits that "got away". But we REALLY don't know how hard Dan and Co. were working to land them. The only disappointment this season has been Terrell, a player who Dan and Preston were working very hard to sign. Dan can be selective and won't bring in a player just to fill an open scholarship. It's one thing for a player to get an loose "offer" and another thing to be a target of Dan Hurley.

I think these loose offers you see reported by recruiting sites are just indications that Dan and staff are "Aware" of the player and monitoring them.

Things should be easier for Dan after this season when he can bring recruits into the new look Ryan Center and watch the team execute his exciting style and WIN games in front of bigger crowds.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fazekas had offers from:
Providence
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Valparaiso

pass
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

There are some guys who went elsewhere, who I know
they were in on.
This business of,"oh, we really weren't recruiting them anyway", isn't true in all
cases. When visits were scheduled and the players didn't even bother to take the visit
and declare for another school, what does that mean? Are you trying to say we had no interest, but
scheduled an official visit, anyway?
Do you think trying to get DJ Foreman to reclassify and come in a year early, means
there was no effort to recruit him?
Let's not kid ourselves that Terrell is the only guy we recruited in the 2014 class.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Rod, I'm not saying there's any rule that applies in all situations. But when I see you counting each one that goes elsewhere (#31) it makes me think that only a handful were ones that Dan really needed.

How much of the recruiting process is just to keep up good relations with HS and AAU coaches so that down the line you can get the player you REALLY want? You don't want to be invisible for a few years just cause none of the players would fit your system. You need to show face, right?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Of course not. Who's denying that they recruited Foreman? He bought into the Rutgers sell job, which could work out very well for him, and stayed a '14. Scheduled visits can, and are, cancelled by either party. The truth is somewhere in between counting anyone who's ever been somehow linked and denying everyone who signs elsewhere. What's important to keep in mind, especially with some of these guys who haven't been on their radar in some time, is what has changed. And what has changed is that the staff's had the chance to spend a lot more time with their current roster. Sometimes you go for broke, maybe lose (which sucks), but learn that what you currently have plus what you can possibly get after an anticipated successful year is better than the plan b choices at the current time.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All true, but there's a lot more than just Terrell they
have been in on.
Fact is, we haven't signed anyone and the search seems to be widening
to jucos and unrated Cali players. Yeah, I know, Preston is in California, Chicago, Memphis,
and other far flung places, just to boost his frequest flyer miles and say hi to some coaches
to establish a California pipeline.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Speaking of cancelling visits, what happened to the Derrien King visit scheduled for this past weekend?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It was a secret visit by The Phantom!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote:Fazekas had offers from:
Providence
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Valparaiso

pass
You sound almost as crazy as me. You pass on a four-star recruit? :D

That said, kid seems entirely potential based and given huge boosts given his height and shooting ability.

Seems a lot like another current Friar (T. Harris) who is tall but really has to work to develop a body capable of playing collegiate #3. Kids like this are very tough to prognosticate, but you have to hope over the course of next two seasons they develop.

Should hopefully be 6'9, 215 lbs by fall '15. Let's hope the strength follows.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Nice get. No doubt about it.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I'm trying to stay positive...I did expect a lull in recruiting in year two...new coaches always seem to get a a good first class because of all the hype, etc. But I'm sure losing Bobby is hurting. Like it or not, he was/is the star...the one always mentioned and interviewed for one reason or another on national TV and publications.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ramster wrote:Fazekas had offers from:
Providence
Northwestern
Dartmouth
Valparaiso

pass
You sound almost as crazy as me. You pass on a four-star recruit? :D

That said, kid seems entirely potential based and given huge boosts given his height and shooting ability.

Seems a lot like another current Friar (T. Harris) who is tall but really has to work to develop a body capable of playing collegiate #3. Kids like this are very tough to prognosticate, but you have to hope over the course of next two seasons they develop.

Should hopefully be 6'9, 215 lbs by fall '15. Let's hope the strength follows.
ESPN has him as a 4 star
247 has him a 3 star
Scout has him as a 2 star
Rivals does not have a rating NR

He was only offered by valpo, Dartmouth and northwestern.
Not sure when espn made him a 4 star.
Not in anybody's top 100.
Maybe he works out but most big east recruits tend to be higher ranked than this kid. No offers from any high or mid majors says something -no?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote:Maybe he works out but most big east recruits tend to be higher ranked than this kid. No offers from any high or mid majors says something -no?
I actually tend to agree with you, which is why I tend to compare him to Tyler Harris. The kid's biggest asset is his height and ability to play on the wing with that height. Problem is, could take him 2 or 3 years to grow into that body and truly be an impact player. Fazekas expects to be 6'9 by the time he finishes growing, so he should be nearly matured, just a matter of throwing weight on the frame. I think that is what has made a lot of "major" programs hesitate on him, keeping interest but not going all in.

Problem is, some teams can afford to wait for a kid to develop, others cannot. Fortunately Ed Cooley has brought in so much talent that he can afford to bring in a few "projects" and let them develop. As a freshman kid at best would be 5 or 6th wing off the bench, although his ability to be a sniper is one the Friars will desperately need. He seems to be a fringe Top 150 player at this point, which again I think PC can afford to take a shot on due to current roster talent.

It's amazing how far both programs have come that they can hestiate on borderline Top 150 talent. A few years back, both would be jumping for joy at the thought.
0 x