Rivals.com top 150 as of 4/15

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Rivals.com top 150 as of 4/15

Unread post by eli#10 »

E C Mathews at 101 and Hassan Martin at 124. Have we ever recruited 2 in the top 150--I DON"T think so!!!!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Rivals.com top 150 as of 4/15

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

So, Matthews is MVP of the Michigan playoffs, on the championship team,
and falls 9 spots?
As I said, if he declared for Michigan or some other Big 10 school, he'd be top 50.
Zach Marbury and Tavoris Bell were top 100 recruits.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Just shows how smart out coaching staff is to ignore ratings.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by El Diablo »

Lol at Rods theory.
0 x
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

El Diablo wrote:Lol at Rods theory.
I don't think his theory is far off. Top 50 might be aggressive but if EC commits somewhere other than rhody he stays in the top 100 for sure. He preformed so well in the playoffs and had a great senior season. He deserves to be higher.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

El Diablo wrote:Lol at Rods theory.
LOL at you apparently not following recruiting but still feeling the need to throw in your two cents. It is a fairly common complaint that guys' rankings go up or down after they commit to certain schools, and you can certainly understand why. It can't not effect perception, and recruiting rankings are mostly perception.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

Ok, so if I go by that logic then that means Brandon Austin would go from 45 to a top 25 recruit if he went to Texas or UConn instead of PC?
It's such a bs logic, and 101 to top 50 is just a flat out asinine statement...PC is not on the national level, but Austin keeps soaring up everyone's list and Bullock even jumped in there...Or how about SMU and UTEP with guys in the top 20? Would those guys be #1 and 2 ahead of Wiggins if they went to a national program?

I don't put too much stock into rankings anyways, the top 30/elite level guys are the only ones that are usually sure fire impact players. The 30-150 range guys can be a bust anytime, like Gerard Coleman for example...That's why some of you should also temper your expectations for a borderline top 100 kid.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Ooooooh, El Diablow: E.C. Matthews led his team to the Michigan State Championship, a team which had 3 Division I signees, Second, if you watch one of the video reports about the team's quest for aforementioned hardware, one "high school superstar" yaks about himself, while Matthews talks about the team. I think Hurley knows who E.C. Matthews was, is, and can become. Same with Hassan Martin. They have gotten better and better and better since August. Hopefully, they will continue to improve as young men and as future Rhody Rams.
Now, do us a favor: Go back underground and find some more potential convicts. (And this isn't a "Still" waters run deep message.)
P.S. My expectations for any URI student athlete are: represent yourself, family and school like a responsible adult, get a great education and degree, carry yourself with with pride and dignity. That's it. That's why coaches get entrusted to do what they're SUPPOSED to do. I don't want someone like Holton back on campus. Or any other jerk.
Quality environment, quality coaches, quality student-athletes = QUALITY EXPERIENCE!
P.P.S. My sources tell me that ECM and HM are in the Top 10,000 HS BKB PLAYERS OF THE WORLD. BFD!!!!!!!!
P.P.P.S. Diablow the Doubter: Even you-know-whom had his buddy, ummm, Thomas…….
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

This should be fuel for Martin and Matthews to show how good they are......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Diablo you kinda just enforced the point Rod is making by saying that the top 30 are the only sure fire impact players and that the next 120 or so are up in the air. This is why those in that 30-150 range have their rankings impacted so much by school commitment compared to the highest rated players.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

First of all, it's hardly "Rod's theory".
It's one I've heard from guys like Nick Macarchuck
and other coaches I've spoken to at AAU games over the years.
Isn't is funny that Kentan Facey jumped into the top 100 as soon
as he signed with UConn.
To logically argue that EC Matthews, after his bust out season and post season heroics,
in Detroit, somehow dropped 9 places, is an absurdity.
There are plenty of busts in the top 50, too. Just go back and look at some old
Blue Ribbon Magazines.
One year, the number two player in the USA behind Lamar Odom was Shea Cotton.
How'd that work out.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

what makes Gerard Coleman a bust, because he left PC? I trust Mark Few's talent assessment much more than a spurned lover.
0 x
El Diablo
Frenchy Tomlin

bigappleram wrote:what makes Gerard Coleman a bust, because he left PC? I trust Mark Few's talent assessment much more than a spurned lover.
He was a top 50/60 recruit, and the only strength to his game was getting out in transition. Awful shooter, no right hand, couldn't finish, very thin, forced things, and was literally invisible against a zone.
No coincidence PC won 3 BE games in games he played in his last year there, and won 6 more than that the next year without him.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

averaging 12 pts and 4 rebs in the REAL big east over his first two seasons doesn't sound like a guy that couldn't play. sounds like sour grapes to me.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Back to the rivals 150......did EC's teammate Clark show up on the list?
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

BTW, love the new avatar, BAR!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramulous wrote:Back to the rivals 150......did EC's teammate Clark show up on the list?

Five Michigan players ranked: Young, Walton, Clark, Morris, and Matthews
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Thanks ATP!!! Only took me 2 years on this board to figure out how to even do that. Then a lot of cropping to fit within the data guidelines. Figured I had to feature an NYC player given my screen name, glad we finally landed one that looks like he will be exciting to watch for the next 4 years.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Not to get too far off topic, but here's an early prediction that Rhody Madness is going to see slightly higher attendance this upcoming season. Can you imagine the fun of watching these new players?! It will be great knowing they don't have to sit out.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Not to get too far off topic, but here's an early prediction that Rhody Madness is going to see slightly higher attendance this upcoming season. Can you imagine the fun of watching these new players?! It will be great knowing they don't have to sit out.
6 months from today.....can't wait!!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Shows how subjective these rankings are......Clark ahead of Matthews when EC was better
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

We haven't heard from El Diablo since Dec. 6 -- the night of URI-PC. His multi-month ban must have expired. He's a PC troll to the extreme.

Riddle me this, El Diablo. What did the PC staff do to develop Coleman? Why was he as one-dimensional after his sophomore season in college as he was in high school? This guy obviously has some ability -- he averaged 13.2 points and 5.0 rebounds in the Big East in 2011-12, which I'm sure you wouldn't hesitate to point out is The Toughest/Best/Greatest Conference In The Country And The History Of All Man. Gonzaga doesn't take bums. Last I checked they had a much better program than PC and obviously wanted Coleman for a reason.

And PC could have used Coleman for some backcourt depth this season. All the ridiculous drooling over Ted Bancroft and the rhetoric about how the Friars were so 'undermanned' and 'gutsy' when, in fact, their numbers problem was a self-inflicted wound. Council getting hurt was karma for the way Cooley shoved out Coleman.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Cooley hardly shoved Coleman out, there were a lot of factors at play that played to the decision.

Coleman came here as part of the Keno Davis system with his best friend Ron Giplaye, a kid who at best was low mid-major talent. It was considered at the time a play by Davis to get Coleman by letting his best friend jump along. Coleman came to PC as a frosh and ran and ran and ran and outside of chucking an insane amount of 3's, was relatively effective in the system because it allowed him to get out and transisition and not worry about things like defense. Cooley came in and basically gave the whole team an attitude adjustment, something that didn't sit well with Coleman. He became a problem-child not wanting to settle for accountability and developing into the system, and under his own power left the program. Cooley however did want his friend Ron Giplaye to leave and it was reported he was leaving in December of 2011, so you have to wonder how much that had an effect.

In the end, these rankings are hardly a perfect science. Some people value potential, other people value current talent. You could see a guy get beaten by 1 guy 70 out of 100x, but if the other guy is raw and athletic and has potential as determined by a recruiting "expert", he could be ranked higher. Martin and Matthews will both have very good careers with URI, so don't get all worked up over their current rankings. If anything, just remember they don't mean much, but that there will be a learning curve like there are with most freshman. By declaring a guy the best interior recruit since Odom, it will place a lot of pressure on the kid when he steps out against a few good opponents and struggles.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

"Council getting hurt was karma for the way Cooley shoved out Coleman"

Dumbest statement ever...Coleman's minutes increased under Cooley; as did his role on the team. Player/coach wanted different things. Nothing but love for GC.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey