'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I'm one more inane PC related post away from deleting any post in this thread not directly related to Jared Terrell.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Well, we hit 70. If this was the market, I'd sell.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

I'm not directly related to Jared Terrell -- but I will deliver him a pizza!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

From Bill Koch-

On second try, Rams land guard Terrell

http://www.independentri.com/independen ... f0e73.html
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ace wrote:From Bill Koch-
On second try, Rams land guard Terrell
http://www.independentri.com/independen ... f0e73.html
Interesting last paragraph. Thanks for posting, Ace.

Terrell figures to compete directly with Matthews and sophomore Matthew Butler for minutes at shooting guard. Both Terrell and Matthews also figure to fill in occasionally at the point spot – Matthews initiated 40 percent of URI’s offensive possessions with the ball in his hands last season despite his official role as an off guard. Garrett, senior T.J. Buchanan and junior Biggie Minnis figure to serve as the Rams’ primary ballhandlers.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

I don't see Butler getting any quality minutes next season. The talent level is way to high.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think Terrell is going to play the 3 more than the 1 or 2.

He and EC will also alternate at the 2. Once JG starts at the point, by midseason if not sooner, he'll be the primary ballhandler.

EC and JT will play some point when JG sits.

TJ, imo will be more of a 3. Minnis, unless he's drastically improved, will be in the cheering section soon enough.

Butler will see action in garbage time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As EC and Jared's PG skills continue to develop, we will basically have 3 combo guards of all different shapes and sizes on the floor at the same time. All three can handle, all three can shoot, all three can go to the basket and all three can dish. I can't wait!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We are truly going to be "hard to guard" that's for sure.

Now, if we can get some decent 3 pt. shooting, and a 70% team FT percentage, we are golden.

Our guards should be good FT shooters. It's the big men that are a concern.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Traditional defined roles are becoming obsolete in basketball. Guys will be asked to do what they are capable of without regard to position.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

And although I'd rather see Garrett in the middle on the break, with EC and Terrell filling the lanes, I think that eventually any of the three could be in the middle. Oh, and Hassan will be trailing for lots of dunks!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

traditionally defined positions are becoming obsolete, defined roles are mission critical IMO. who is initiating offense, who is primary ball handler on the break, who is the #1 option late in the shot clock....those things need to be determined asap b/c that is what separates the Heat for example, from Ok City. Durant and Westbrook dont know when to defer or when to be the man, Lebron and Wade have that very much figured out and its why they thrive in crunch time. Just an example but you get my point.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Partly semantics, BAR. But I generally agree. Where I (may?) disagree is that those roles can overlap. If you have two guys (or even three) that can get the ball up the court, on a rebound I want the outlet to go to the guy best positioned to get it up the floor and everyone else fill accordingly. Provides a distinct advantage, IMO. What it sounds like you're talking about is hierarchy, which I think doesn't exist in OKC just because Westbrook is a special kind of ignorant. On good teams the "go to" guy will be recognized by everyone else.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i agree, overlap in certain areas is good....pecking order is impt to establish, and can effect chemistry and results if its not. clearly this is ECs team right now, but with all the talent around him shortly there will be parity and knowing roles is huge. this is basically calipari's main job every year, what a refreshing scenario to have lots of talent in Kingston!! Go Rhody!!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

TruePoint wrote:Partly semantics, BAR. But I generally agree. Where I (may?) disagree is that those roles can overlap. If you have two guys (or even three) that can get the ball up the court, on a rebound I want the outlet to go to the guy best positioned to get it up the floor and everyone else fill accordingly. Provides a distinct advantage, IMO. What it sounds like you're talking about is hierarchy, which I think doesn't exist in OKC just because Westbrook is a special kind of ignorant. On good teams the "go to" guy will be recognized by everyone else.
I agree with this. Part of Phoenix's surprising success this year is that they just went with two "traditional" point guards playing at the same time, which created unusual pressure on defenses. NBA teams are shifting more toward just throwing their best five guys out there and forcing the other team to match-up, taking a page out of the Heat's book, who have won championships without a traditional post-up option, for example.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

"But the Friars were soon out of the picture – either by their own choosing or having been eliminated by Terrell’s camp, depending on the version of the story you choose to believe."

Thank you Mr. Koch. I post this quote not to insight you know who, the troll who can't help himself from responding nearly every time that team is mentioned on the URI forum, but to point out that unlike the faux journalists from Rhode Islands 'good ole boy' network who all reported that PC stopped recruiting Terrell, with total disregard of the facts, Koch reported the possibility of both scenarios, leaving it up to the interested reader to follow up and decide for him/herself.

Mentioning this is not an attack on the Friar program, it is my documented observation of local sports coverage regarding Terrell's recruitment.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

OMG THREE-GUARD OFFENSE WITH JG/JT/EC MAKING ALL OF THE SHOTS AND THROWING LOBS TO HASSAN AND HARE SOOOO MUCH SKILL AND ATHLETICISM SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!

please just ignore sean, guys
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

I also do not wish to "insight" anyone on the board. However I would like to offer this "incite" regarding JTs recruitment. I conceded days ago that JT probably decided for himself that PC was not a good fit for him.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

obviously he was scared off by the almighty Josh Fortune
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Possibly a two year starter at his position gave him pause. Or possibly a similarly ranked 2/3 in Jalen Lindsey or a former highly rated transfer who also plays the 2. Could be Tyler Harris with 2 years left at the 3. Never know unless you ask him yourself. But he decided URI was a better fit.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I will guarantee you that Josh Fortune didn't give him pause. Calling Fortune a 2 year starter is a bit misleading, if not for desperation (due to injuries) he would have been a 10-15 mpg guy for you last year, and if Austin & Dunn were around this year who knows how much time he would have gotten. JT is ranked higher than Lindsey so doubt that was it (though I do like Lindsey, he will be the best of the bunch of your class this year IMO). Most kids aren't scared of competition and think they are better than everyone. Maybe he didn't connect with Big Ed Obama.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Fair point on Fortune, however he did come into his own in the second half of the year. He averaged 12 points a game in the last dozen or so. JT seemed to enjoy his time at PC and they were in it until the end during the first go around. If it was me and I felt comfortable that I could win and develop in both programs, I'd go with the place where I could start day 1.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I'm so sick of reading this drivel from our twit pc friend Sean "light in the loafers" McNamara. Seanyboy you are my favorite wine salesman but do your bosses at THE WINE COMPANY encourage you to antagonize potential customers.

GO RHODY!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I still don't get why Sean gets so much crap on here, I wasn't born and raised in RI so excuse me for my apathy but I appreciate having an insightful (look Sean I spelled it right) PC fan on this board.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Keaney.Blue wrote:I still don't get why Sean gets so much crap on here, I wasn't born and raised in RI so excuse me for my apathy but I appreciate having an insightful (look Sean I spelled it right) PC fan on this board.
Look to RJ for insight from a PC fan. Sean is just here to incite.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Typically I would agree that Sean pokes the bear, but his last several posts in this thread have been objective.
0 x
NHRamFan
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NHRamFan »

Rhody Guy wrote:Typically I would agree that Sean pokes the bear, but his last several posts in this thread have been objective.

Take a look back - it's his SOP. Make a few "reasonable" posts to appease the Rodney Kings amongst us and build up some goodwill; then act as the official PC hall monitor until there's some push back.

Rinse and Repeat.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Rhody Guy wrote:Typically I would agree that Sean pokes the bear, but his last several posts in this thread have been objective.
sean always tones it down for a few weeks after ATP breaks out the red pen. It's a cycle we've been reading for years.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jared Terrell and Aaron Falzon (and others) in the gym-

0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

ace wrote:Jared Terrell and Aaron Falzon (and others) in the gym-
Is Sean in the video somewhere?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

BFC wrote:
No, he took it.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

BFC wrote:
I admit, I wasn't sure if it was still ok to post something on-topic.

I love watching conditioning drills. It almost makes me want to stop what I'm doing and get in an early workout. Almost.
0 x
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

"Dan Hurley has Rhode Island primed to make a jump after big-time additions during the late signing period. The Rams looked like a 20-win team last summer but the loss of starting center Jordan Hare (personal reasons) before last season took away their main defensive anchor. Hare's impending return and the addition of a Top 75 recruit in combo guard Jared Terrell give Hurley two starting caliber players who could be difference makers."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketb ... ey-players
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

I've been rereading this thread from the beginning, it's actually quite fun, considering the results of course, and if you try and suspend your knowledge of those results, the story can put you on the edge of your seat. This was one of the great recruiting drama's of our program's history.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Great video Ace. Whenever I see Terrell, the word that comes to mind is linebacker. That is one strong kid.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

hahahaha JT scared Fortune off without even going to PC.....we call that a win-win. Given no peeps today out of our favorite water boy and that's the TRIFECTA!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, if Cooley DIDN'T want Terrell, he was foolish, indeed!
Now they need a SG, and it's very late in the day.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

This thread has become a URI good luck charm. Not that I think josh fortune is anything to talk about but you have to love PC trolls citing him as the reason JT was scared off and now....
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, if Cooley DIDN'T want Terrell, he was foolish, indeed!

According to their board, JT just isn't good enough to play for their team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ramfan85 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Well, if Cooley DIDN'T want Terrell, he was foolish, indeed!

According to their board, JT just isn't good enough to play for their team.
Yes, Kentucky and PC are now the two schools that have no room for 65th-75th ranked players. Friar fans should expect a national championship next year.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm with Jared. I've never visited the pc campus and have no intention to do so.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Congratulations, Jared!

I have achieved a lot of things in my short lifetime. But this by far is my favorite and the greatest accomplishment in my 19 years of living. Thank you to everyone who contributed throughout this journey. R.I.P Grams, wish you could have seen this one. #Graduate #BrewsterAcademy
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Congratulations Jared! Welcome to one of the best guard oriented conferences in the country. Time to shine!!!!!!!
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sweet!!!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

He is so strong, it's absolutely unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! Built like Super John Williamson, Quinn Buckner at a similar age….
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bressler3south wrote:He is so strong, it's absolutely unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!! Built like Super John Williamson, Quinn Buckner at a similar age….
I was just watching a video of Super John the other day. He and Jiggy played so much alike, even their mannerisms. John was a little bigger than Jiggy though.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sorry to get off track, but this is kind of relevant since Bressler compared Jared to this guy. Super John Williamson was the older brother of our own Jiggy Williamson. He played with Dr. J on the Nets and was quite a scorer. This is a video of him. I like this because he reminds me of Jiggy, my all time favorite Ram.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

someone compared him to brian woodward....i will take it.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think I've watched every online video of JT32, but just to be sure I'll watch them all again. ;)
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund