'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Whatever criteria Terrell was using, he picked URI over PC and BC.
RJ hears different whispers, ones that say that may not be true. But whatever helps you sleep better at night. :D
Oh please RJ, don't keep us in suspense...
0 x
URI_IEP
Lamar Odom

Unread post by URI_IEP »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Whatever criteria Terrell was using, he picked URI over PC and BC.
RJ hears different whispers, ones that say that may not be true. But whatever helps you sleep better at night. :D
That sounds like something the kid from "6th Sense" would say. We don't want to know about your imaginary friends. ;)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Put it this way, if there was an issue with a recruit that caused PC to stop recruiting him, and he went to URI, there wouldn't be whispering from PC fans, there would be shouting and screaming.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Yeah, they didn't want him because of all the imaginary
stud point guards breaking down Ed Cooley's door.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Don't buy it that PC "didn't want him," but also don't really care. They can have a front-row seat to seeing what he'll accomplish here at URI for four years.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Yeah, they didn't want him because of all the imaginary
stud point guards breaking down Ed Cooley's door.
PC has 3 open scholarships over the next 2 years. My understanding is that they want a 2014 PG, a 2015 SG, and a 2015 PF/C. 2016 there are 2 more openings, in which they would like to grab another SG to replace Fortune, and want Braxton Blackwell to replace Tyler Harris. PC kicked the can on Terrell, but from what I hear it was nothing more than that. Didn't match the plan, and Terrell was not enough of an upgrade to break it. Wasn't anything with Terrell the player. But when they missed on him with the package deal, they brought in Junior Lomomba who they like. Made the #2 a minimal priority position for 2014. Just what RJ hears...
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yeah, like PC can just say who they want and get them.
When did they become Kentucky and Calipari?
Whatevah...............
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agree with RJ that SG is not currently a huge need for PC, but that is about the rosiest outlook on recruiting that I have ever seen. By that logic, URI should have passed on JT also because we want Terrance Mann in '15.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

PC/Cooley is dreaming if they think they can just get exactly who they want going forward.

So Terrell wasn't good enough for them?

I see, so they want only top 50 recruits? Good luck with that......

PC only loses on recruits when they don't want them, according to their fans. Bull.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

sf2010 wrote:Agree with RJ that SG is not currently a huge need for PC, but that is about the rosiest outlook on recruiting that I have ever seen. By that logic, URI should have passed on JT also because we want Terrance Mann in '15.
The difference was that Terrell wasn't going to start for PC. He would have been around 15 minutes per game. He would have helped, absolutely. But PC already has 4 freshman coming in next season, and a 5th in Rodney Bullock who was a redshirt, and they still want a PG. When you think you are building something special, you believe in your system. PC has relationships with several Top 100/Top 150 2015 SG prospects, some more realistic than others. Many believe they lead on Donovan Mitchell, who played with Terrell at Brewster. They also have Ryan Fazekas who can play 2-4 and is a 2015 recruit who should be a Top 125 player when he steps on campus.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Why do we care about PCs recruits again? Someone remind me? ATP is there a sarcasm tag somewhere?

Seriously, this is a good time for Rhody hoops and there is real optimism and hope for the first time in 15 years! Let's focus on that. Forget our neighbors to the north.

ETERNAL RAMNATION!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

It's not that PC didn't want JT; it just wasn't a good fit. PC isn't at a place to tell talented kids they won't start or play significant minutes from day 1. If JT wanted to play a role as a frosh and then compete to start as a soph; that would be one thing. Why do that when he can start at URI? PC deff had interest, just didn't have the situation he was looking for.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Yeah, don't let my opinion be confused... Terrell is a fantastic pickup. As I've said before, I'm glad he choose URI. RI doesn't have pro teams, but supports the local product like crazy when times are good. The fact that both PC and URI can be good at the same time for the first time in a long time, that is a good thing. Enrollments will improve, hatred will rise, it's what makes a rivalry special. As I said on my board, the rivalry in recent years hasn't had the same feel, and it's in part that both teams haven't been very good. Fans weren't traveling as well, and the ones that were weren't anywhere near as obnoxious. Students could care less outside of the social aspect. It's nice to see things ramping up again. PC assessed the Terrell situation, didn't see the fit into their plan, and quickly moved on. Rest assured, if PC wasn't coming off an NCAA appearance, or didn't have a good recruiting class coming in, they would have driven their heads into the wall trying to land him. But they know unless something crazy happens, Josh Fortune is their #2 for the next 2 seasons, and if they grab a 2015 SG, it requires only one year of being a "depth" piece before stepping into a major role.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

PC has a very good freshman class coming in and a solid recruiting plan going forward I'm certain, but PC stopped recruiting Terrell because he stopped recruiting them, he beat PC to the punch, expressing his feelings in a most concise fashion, stating he had no plans to visit, which effectively ended the PC recruiting chapter of his life. No one is ranking on PC in this thread, most of us have much respect for Cooley and realize PC has good facilities. For whatever reason he chose URI and did not choose PC. For now, a small victory until the decision bares weight in games, that is, but let's get something straight here, Cooley wanted Terrell and did not land him, Hurley wanted Terrell and did land him. End of discussion.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Micheal_Phelps_22
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Micheal_Phelps_22 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Yeah, don't let my opinion be confused... Terrell is a fantastic pickup. As I've said before, I'm glad he choose URI. RI doesn't have pro teams, but supports the local product like crazy when times are good. The fact that both PC and URI can be good at the same time for the first time in a long time, that is a good thing. Enrollments will improve, hatred will rise, it's what makes a rivalry special.

I know this outlook isnt popular with either fan base for the most part but its excatly how I've always felt. I bleed Rhody blue but also support local sports in general. College basketball is the only sport this state has that is popular on a national level. I enjoyed PC's run last year (for the most part... the PC URI game was a rough loss obviously) and only strengthened my desire to see us have the same type of success sooner rather than later. Moves like this will make that desire become a reality.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Micheal_Phelps_22 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:Yeah, don't let my opinion be confused... Terrell is a fantastic pickup. As I've said before, I'm glad he choose URI. RI doesn't have pro teams, but supports the local product like crazy when times are good. The fact that both PC and URI can be good at the same time for the first time in a long time, that is a good thing. Enrollments will improve, hatred will rise, it's what makes a rivalry special.

I know this outlook isnt popular with either fan base for the most part but its excatly how I've always felt. I bleed Rhody blue but also support local sports in general. College basketball is the only sport this state has that is popular on a national level. I enjoyed PC's run last year (for the most part... the PC URI game was a rough loss obviously) and only strengthened my desire to see us have the same type of success sooner rather than later. Moves like this will make that desire become a reality.
I 100% agree - which is probably a different take than most would assume a hothead like myself would have.

Honestly I root for PC in just about every game they play (the obvious URI matchup and most A10 matchups being the exceptions).

It only helps college basketball around here.

A good PC means a guaranteed good game on the schedule. A good URI and PC means a good rivalry that gets national attention. That means that more players will want to be a part of it....especially the local talent that winds up going elsewhere.

The same goes for Bryant and Brown. The best thing that could happen for URI would be for this state to have 4 top 125 programs...with us being the flagship.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

steviep123 wrote: ETERNAL RAMNATION!!
This should be on a tshirt.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Josh Fortune is better suited coming off the bench, and I am not sold that big Ed is satisfied with him as the starting 2 G for the next 2 years. He has a ton of experience born out of necessity, but a 2G that can't create off the dribble and is a lousy ball handler is not ideal, he's a catch and shoot guard who plays good defense. I would bet JT could have earned that position within 15-20 games, at URI it might take 15-20 practices....that is the only difference. He would have stepped in and made an impact at PC just as easily as he will at URI.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Blue Man wrote: A good PC means a guaranteed good game on the schedule. A good URI and PC means a good rivalry that gets national attention. That means that more players will want to be a part of it....especially the local talent that winds up going elsewhere.

The same goes for Bryant and Brown. The best thing that could happen for URI would be for this state to have 4 top 125 programs...with us being the flagship.
Honestly, it always pains me when people try to say "Why do we play Brown or Bryant?" It's like "Umm, play Brown or Bryant, or more games against UNH, Maine, Sacred Heart, Yale, etc.? I truly wish that the 4 schools could just get together and have a Battle for RI 4-team round robin tournament. For it to work though, it would probably have to be at the Dunk every yearwith PC and URI rotating as host team, but realize the odds of that happening are 0.1% which is why the Round Robin idea would probably never happen.

As for Fortune, he came on strong down the stretch of last season. I think he took his game from a "fringe" rotation player to cementing his role as starter because he was able to make his game more well-rounded. More development is needed this summer, but the strides he took last year, including carrying them to wins on a few different occasions, more than cement the position as his to lose.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Honestly, it always pains me when people try to say "Why do we play Brown or Bryant?" It's like "Umm, play Brown or Bryant, or more games against UNH, Maine, Sacred Heart, Yale, etc.? I truly wish that the 4 schools could just get together and have a Battle for RI 4-team round robin tournament. For it to work though, it would probably have to be at the Dunk every yearwith PC and URI rotating as host team, but realize the odds of that happening are 0.1% which is why the Round Robin idea would probably never happen.
Agree with all of this (though I would suggest that URI could host on alternating years at the RC).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

sf2010 wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Agree with all of this (though I would suggest that URI could host on alternating years at the RC).
I did think about that, but I think it would be a tough sell to the other 3 schools. The point of a tournament and round robin is for everyone to participate in the fun, right? Assuming the round robin features single-ticket admission to both games as most do, and URI has a great team, that's 5,500-6,000 season ticket holders? So that leaves 1,500 for PC fans, Brown fans, Bryant fans, and non-season ticket holder URI fans? I don't think it accomplishes the mission of getting the state into the fun, and that doesn't even include the diffculty in parking or the ease of manuvering down in Kingston. Assuming the Dunk at 8,000 season ticket holders for PC and 6,000 for URI, there would always be sufficient seating for fans of all team, even with giving priority access to the apointed home team. As home team, they would get home court revenue + concessions. Can't blame URI in said scenario for wanting to play at the RC, just don't think it would be welcomed in this situation. Of course these are all fun hypotheticals of no significant importance, but I would love to see something worked out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Difficulty in parking????? Like sitting for an hour inhaling exhaust fumes
in a Providence parking garage and paying a high price to do so,
is preferable to free parking, and a little wait to leave?
Wow!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

season tickets were supposed to be at a high for last season and it was around 4k
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Difficulty in parking????? Like sitting for an hour inhaling exhaust fumes
in a Providence parking garage and paying a high price to do so,
is preferable to free parking, and a little wait to leave?
Wow!
Maybe your right Rod, but what time did the game end last year? We were bumper to bumper in a lot until after 11 o'clock (~45-50 minutes), and for nearly 30 minutes of that, we did not move. By the time we pulled out, there were still dozens of cars waiting to get out. On very rare occasion it has taken me 50 minutes to get home from a crowded PC game (mind you I live in North Kingstown). It took me 75 minutes to get home from the Ryan Center last December.
Last edited by rjsuperfly66 10 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Going back to JT. Fellow employee who coaches hs basketball in my town, sent me an email saying what a great recruit we got. Said he saw him play a couple of times, the real deal!!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

My only objection is a lack of identifying sections in the lots
at the Ryan Center.
In a snow storm, people were wandering around like a scene from
Dr. Zhivago.
I live in Cranston, and went to every game last year, but one, and it never took
75 minutes for me to get home, unless I stopped at The Homestead on the way home.
To solve the traffic problem would require the State taking houses on 138 to widen it
to take the traffic.
Not happening in this lifetime.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

An ideal situation(makes too much sense so it would never happen); would be to hold a "preseason" tourney every year between the 4 teams like the Beanpot in Hockey. DDC and Ryan Center rotate as host sites. Open seating; so no season ticket holder rights. It would be the equivilant of a tourney at a neutral site. Hold it in the first week of Dec. Double header on Tues or Wed. Final 2 games on Sat at 3 and 6. Regular PC-URI game is moved to late Jan or even better; season finale at whichever venue didn't hold the tourney. Ensures that Rams and Friars play; also adds some spice to the local hoops ledger. Create or dust off the old Governor's Cup.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Of course, your options in Providence are limited by how much firepower you're carrying.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

This JT32 is a specimen... look out in the lane!

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We can all share a little laugh at this now, can't we???
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

No thanks to rr tourney at the downtown dump....

We should however have the guts to schedule Bryant especially with O ' Shea at the helm.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ATPTourFan wrote:We can all share a little laugh at this now, can't we???
Such a distant memory of a miserable day in September...I'll prefer to keep the memory of a wonderful Friday in May!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Who cares about Bryant?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Stay on topic please. Took me half an hour last night to sift through and dump all the PC talk that cluttered up this thread over the weekend.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Delete my post above too if you want. I was responding to the moronic suggestion that all the local D1 schools gather at the downtown dump to glorify friar town in a RR tournament. Shoulda stayed away not worthy of my response but sniffed bait and bit. Agree we discussed Bryant at length in another thread started by moi. Off topic.

Our on campus arena blows the dunk away. Fact.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

why do you guys give a damn about PC? We got our man (Terrell). Before that, we got our other man (Garrett). AND, we got our other man (Hare) back as well. Let those fools chirp and make excuses all they want. Rhody looks to be in much better shape than PC for the next 2-3 years. Let the PC fans chew on that for a while..
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

As much of a URI fan I am, PC is killing it in their recruiting as well..they could def make a case to have had a better class than us the last two years...so don't really know where that statement comes from.

Anyway, pretty excited to see Jared suit up next year…this team is really coming together.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Why the hell does this thread keep coming back to PC?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agree who gives a dam we have plenty to be talking about besides one team on our schedule...and also agree PC has plenty of talent in the pipeline. Though I personally like the back court chips we have in our hand, no matter how u slice those 3 will be a handful for any opponent over the next 3 years. Pair em with a competent front court and I will play anyone at anytime with that crew.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ChiPhiRhody03 wrote:why do you guys give a damn about PC? We got our man (Terrell). Before that, we got our other man (Garrett). AND, we got our other man (Hare) back as well. Let those fools chirp and make excuses all they want. Rhody looks to be in much better shape than PC for the next 2-3 years. Let the PC fans chew on that for a while..
Recruiting experts and recent history in college basketball would disagree with you; but that's never stopped this board before. Even with the addition of Terrel; URI's recruiting class is 25-40 slots lower that PC's. Couple that with the reality that NONE of the incoming recruits are expected to start; and you're argument doesn't hold a lot of water.

Chew on that for a while.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Sean,

Go back to your mothers basement and stop posting on our board. No one likes you.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Not sure what you are basing that on, most experts believe JT will be starting for us at some point....likely not right away, but would be shocked if he wasnt starting by A10 play. Most people who know basketball would agree with that, hence I don't expect you to understand it. I would assume when our coach says he feels like again he has one of the best FR guards in the country that he has the guy pegged as a starter. Also likely Garrett is a starter by Conf Play. 0 for 2, just like when you applied to college.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

There's no guarantee PC's "wonder recruits" will start right away either.

Not every 4 star turns out to be a hero.

I would reserve judgement until they actually suit up and play, you think Sean?

Both schools have had a very good recruiting year. Let's see how it all plays out.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Reading comprehension, BAR. I am referring to PC's recruits not starting. I am well aware of the fact that URI's top recruits are expected to start. Terrell; IMHO from day 1. PG can be tricky, so that may take longer.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:
That's a great picture, although maybe a little seizure-inducing, too.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Sean go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bet you're a Yankee fan too.. Be productive and stay with your snooty sit on your hands, boring PC fans....
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Not a Yankee fan
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

We should stop letting the bored PC fans stop brining the conversation back to PC as if we care. This thread is about Terrell and URI, let's keep the focus there.
0 x