'14 MA SG Jared Terrell (URI Commit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Re: '14 MA SG Jared Terrell (Oklahoma State verbal)

Unread post by rhodyrob »

As someone that follows the Expressions program I need to mention:
1- The Expressions staff were backing URI all the way with one member being a long time Rhody fan and supporter. Coach Boswell was pushing JT toward URI but a bigger more well known BCS program looked better to a young kid.
2- The Expressions Have a great younger program with a few players that have already been offered by Rhody. The people on this site that are accusing their coaches of accepting this and that should think before they write. The kids do read this site. JT has read this site and what is/was being said about his trusted mentors.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Onward and upward. In the words of the great philospher, Gloria Gaynor, "We Will Survive"
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I to know the expression program and rhody rob is right on
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Lots of sour grapes up in here. I'm not naive about the cesspool that is high major D1 hoops and AAU ball but we would have fawned all over this kid if he chose URI. Seems like a decent kid to me. You couldn't have dragged me to Stillwater, OK but maybe he liked the feel of a big time athletics department. Maybe he wanted to play at the Phog once every year. Gallagher-Iba gets going pretty good, too. Who knows? Let's go get someone else. But going after kids and their coaches because of a cryptic tweet or two is pretty weak, imo.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Oh wells
Good luck Jared

Rhody will be fine..
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

What's HUMOROUS about this is very simply: I need to laugh about it, because otherwise, I'd be weeping…..
:lol: :( :lol: :( :lol: :( :lol: :( :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, if JT read this thread, and HUNDREDS of posts wanting him to come here,
then he'd be here, if this thread was a difference maker. The negative stuff came last night, after word came
out that he was OSU bound.
He had EIGHT whole posts about him on the OSU board.
Don't try to pin this on this thread. That's insulting.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyrob wrote:As someone that follows the Expressions program I need to mention:
1- The Expressions staff were backing URI all the way with one member being a long time Rhody fan and supporter. Coach Boswell was pushing JT toward URI but a bigger more well known BCS program looked better to a young kid.
2- The Expressions Have a great younger program with a few players that have already been offered by Rhody. The people on this site that are accusing their coaches of accepting this and that should think before they write. The kids do read this site. JT has read this site and what is/was being said about his trusted mentors.
Trusted mentors? Bwahahaha. Guess he listens well then no? Or maybe their not so trusted.
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Unread post by rhodyrob »

Rod
I am not saying that this board had anything to do with JT going to OSU. I am saying that the Expressions staff were supporting URI and hopefully will in the future. Writing negative things about them is wrong and can influence the direction that the younger members of the team think of Rhody.
I am a very long time member of the Rhody family with both my farther and my son being alummi. I attended my first Rhody game 60 years ago and will be there this year with my grand kids.
My opinion = We have not heard the end of JT
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I got a few emails, PMs, DMs, from people claiming to be close to EE's staff.
How could I be saying I felt JT was going to OSU, when they knew he was coming to URI?
I didn't know what I was talking about. Blah! Blah! Blah!
Next!
Wow, according to some here, PC will never be able to get any EE recruits, because their board makes anything negative said here, VERY tame.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

In reference to RhodyRob's last post: Yeah, we haven't heard the last of Jared Terrell -- he'll be blowing up on the court, while all of this is just blowing hot air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Why would a recruit like Jared, or future recruits, care what some a-hole fan like me says? If he cared what I thought, he'd be wearing a light blue hat right now. I would hope that the school, the coaching staff, the opportunity, etc., would mean a lot more than what some idiot fan like myself thinks. Maybe he cared what the two or three posters on the OK.ST. board were saying...
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Yawn on to the next recruit. Enjoying being a second class citizen at ok st.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrob wrote:Rod
I am not saying that this board had anything to do with JT going to OSU. I am saying that the Expressions staff were supporting URI and hopefully will in the future. Writing negative things about them is wrong and can influence the direction that the younger members of the team think of Rhody.
I am a very long time member of the Rhody family with both my farther and my son being alummi. I attended my first Rhody game 60 years ago and will be there this year with my grand kids.
My opinion = We have not heard the end of JT
"My opinion = We have not heard the end of JT".... meaning???.....
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Wonder how "Crotchbutter" feels now? They lost out, too.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Exactly, Billyboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If someone is that attuned to this stuff as a student/athlete/recruit, well, as I've written before: Coach Hurley has a RECRUITING PHILOSOPHY, from which he will not deviate. He knows better than I do, and that's good enough for me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
And as far as posting about Jared "CHAPS" Terrell, I'm done.
If I want cowboys, I'll watch "The Rifleman"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-)
Last edited by bressler3south 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Kingston
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Kingston »

I'm going to a wedding to have more than my share of drinks (hopefully open bar or this day could really suck). I will be drinking my Terrell not coming here disappointment away but celebrating that both these young men showed at least half a brain and didn't choose PC . Any chance I can post later for a ride home
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

Personally the bigger loss this weekend was fellow URI alum Geoff Cameron getting a yellow card last night and now unable to play for the USA on home soil Tuesday night against Mexico.

But I tend to get more upset about people/players that come to URI and represent the University over those that haven't.

Having said that I have been following the recruitment of Jared and I am sad today. Sad that he decided not to come here. I feel we he would have been a great addition to the team based on all the praise he has received, both published or otherwise. Then I am reminded of EC, Hassan, and the rest of the team that currently wear URI on their uniforms and I feel better. :)

(I feel like Rod on the inside but need to be more like Bressler3south on the outside).

Thank you to all who have posted their thoughts/comments. It helps me deal with it.

Dan

(edit: to correctly spell Hassan's name... My apologies H. M.)
Last edited by DanInAZ 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Kingston wrote:I'm going to a wedding to have more than my share of drinks (hopefully open bar or this day could really suck). I will be drinking my Terrell not coming here disappointment away but celebrating that both these young men showed at least half a brain and didn't choose PC . Any chance I can post later for a ride home
Sure, if you're close to Aquidneck Island!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'm guessing this is the "perfect fit"?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

FOR DAN IN ARIZONA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol: ;) :lol:
8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm guessing this is the "perfect fit"?

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN 12m
Jared Terrell was a solid pickup for Oklahoma State. Likely a rotation guy -- depending on where Travis Ford's program is next few years.
That's pretty effin funny!!!!
0 x
DanInAZ
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by DanInAZ »

I lived in that dorm on the 4th floor but don't remember which direction. :shock: :? ;) :D :roll:

(There were four floors weren't there? Lord, I hope so. Otherwise, I would be living on the roof.)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

DanInAZ wrote:I lived in that dorm on the 4th floor but don't remember which direction. :shock: :? ;) :D :roll:

(There were four floors weren't there? Lord, I hope so. Otherwise, I would be living on the roof.)
I knew a lot of people at URI who were on the 4th floor of 3 story buildings.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

The end going towards Butterfield = NORTH
The end going towards the POLICE STATION = South.

MY ROOM FACED "THE RATHSKELLER." = OBLIVION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm guessing this is the "perfect fit"?
Pretty darn disgraceful. So on top of that from Goodman we have people close to Expressions who think Terrell may be a transfer candidate in a year.

Why go to OK State if there's already a decent liklihood that you won't be "the man" and would want a transfer. You're just giving up half of your eligibility right there (first year wasted in the "rotation" and 2nd on the bench as transfer).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

That was my very first thought as well, I posted it a page or two back right after the announcement. He'll be transferring in a year or two.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

then I was south 3rd floor as well. 3rd room from the stairwell on the right, a lot of good memories made in that room...good group of people in that hall that year, 24 years ago soon... :D :) ;) :( :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: (that emto-spazzout was for you bressler3south).
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm all about not bashing the AAU program. I don't know the inner workings of EE, but I think we could do better than accusing the coaches of being on the take without any evidence. I do think the possibility of shenanigans exists in some form, but I don't know get why the AAU coaches are the targets of some here. I understand being upset about losing out on Jared, but you definitely don't want to make enemies of people that could be great people to have on your side going forward.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Ughh, now I want to go to Oklahoma St...

http://deadspin.com/si-ok-state-hostess ... 1270065692
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, if the football program does it......
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, if the football program does it......
... Basketball probably doesn't, given their lack of success? ;)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I'd get on the phone with Pat McCaw. He's from St. Louis and is a top 100 SG. Preston has connections in the Chicago area, so this kid is pretty close to there. One of the schools who offered him is Ok. State. I would imagine he's not going there. Probably too late to get in on him, but...
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Good luck Jared - every year there are people that say someone made a bad choice in schools. It will be up to you to prove them wrong with hard work.

I have always hated Travis ford but OK State is a pretty solid program with success the last few years. I don't see that changing int the Big 12 which has been down the past few years.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jared who?

No one player is bigger than Rhody basketball. While Terrell seems to have talent and it is disappointing he chose to go elsewhere, URI hoops will survive and thrive without him.

Unfortunately for Terrell, it will likely be him lamenting his choice in the next few years and not Rhode Island. The great distance he will be from home will become an issue and he will regret committing to a coach that cannot be trusted. Keep in mind that Travis Ford learned all his tricks from one of the biggest slime-ball phonies in all of college basketball, one Rick Pitino. He just in the last few weeks recruited over a commit to get Jared. That in itself is a sign of how Ford operates.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote:Jared who?

No one player is bigger than Rhody basketball. While Terrell seems to have talent and it is disappointing he chose to go elsewhere, URI hoops will survive and thrive without him.

Unfortunately for Terrell, it will likely be him lamenting his choice in the next few years and not Rhode Island. The great distance he will be from home will become an issue and he will regret committing to a coach that cannot be trusted. Keep in mind that Travis Ford learned all his tricks from one of the biggest slime-ball phonies in all of college basketball, one Rick Pitino. He just in the last few weeks recruited over a commit to get Jared. That in itself is a sign of how Ford operates.
Jared said that going far from home is not an issue. The coach, on the other hand...
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

rhodylaw wrote:
I have always hated Travis ford but OK State is a pretty solid program with success the last few years. I don't see that changing int the Big 12 which has been down the past few years.
I was surprised to see the numbers. You don't think of them as a power by any means, but they have something like 23 NCAA Tournament wins since 1990. In that 23 year stretch, 16 tournament appearances, 5 NIT births, and only two misses. They've made two Final Fours, 1 Elite 8, and 3 Sweet 16's.

It's funny to me because they are such an after-thought in that conference, but they don't do too bad for themselves out there.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

OK. ST. was planning to pair up Jared in the backcourt with Dominic Magee, a 4 star PG. He was the Cowboys #1 priority. He just committed to Memphis.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:OK. ST. was planning to pair up Jared in the backcourt with Dominic Magee, a 4 star PG. He was the Cowboys #1 priority. He just committed to Memphis.
John Martin ‏@JohnMartinCA 2m
I do have to wonder how Travis Ford is taking this morning's news about Dominic Magee.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:OK. ST. was planning to pair up Jared in the backcourt with Dominic Magee, a 4 star PG. He was the Cowboys #1 priority. He just committed to Memphis.
I do have to wonder how Travis Ford is taking this morning's news about Dominic Magee.
I am wondering how Jared is taking this news?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

He can decommit any time. Who knows?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Their top recruit going elsewhere, their football team being investigated, a lot of negative news the last couple of days for OK.ST (and one very positive). I'm sure Jared will honor his verbal though. That wasn't part of my thought process.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcsports. ... o-coaches/
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Holy exclamation points, Travis!!!!! Surprised he didn't go all Bressler with a dozen smilies.

What if Terrell did decommit? It's *just* a verbal... nobody keeps their word anymore, right?!

It's really telling that JT had high stability and a high ceiling here in Kingston but he chose to go somewhere where the coach didn't even land his backcourt mate, and tends to recruit the "next best thing" as soon as it pops up. Makes little sense. But OKST does have that sweet basketball crib.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

ATPTourFan wrote:Holy exclamation points, Travis!!!!! Surprised he didn't go all Bressler with a dozen smilies.

What if Terrell did decommit? It's *just* a verbal... nobody keeps their word anymore, right?!

It's really telling that JT had high stability and a high ceiling here in Kingston but he chose to go somewhere where the coach didn't even land his backcourt mate, and tends to recruit the "next best thing" as soon as it pops up. Makes little sense. But OKST does have that sweet basketball crib.
And Jared says that OK.ST. was the "best opportunity" for him. I don't get that one at all, unless sleazebag Ford promised Jared that he'd be a PG there.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What bothers me about this is, from all accounts,
OSU only recruited Terrell for a few weeks.
I'm wondering why some swank dorm room or
other superficial things seemed to win out over
personal relationships and playing time.
He was told Ford was looking to bring in a PG, so he wasn't promised that.
Plus, they have a stud SG from 2015 verballed.
"Part of the rotation" to me means, 10-20 minutes a game.
He'd have been a starter here, sometime in his freshman year.
It's baffling to me.

PS. could they have any more obnoxious players doing the tape? I didn't understand one word the clown
with the toothpick was saying.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:What bothers me about this is, from all accounts,
OSU only recruited Terrell for a few weeks.
I'm wondering why some swank dorm room or
other superficial things seemed to win out over
personal relationships and playing time.
He was told Ford was looking to bring in a PG, so he wasn't promised that.
Plus, they have a stud SG from 2015 verballed.
"Part of the rotation" to me means, 10-20 minutes a game.
He'd have been a starter here, sometime in his freshman year.
It's baffling to me.

PS. could they have any more obnoxious players doing the tape? I didn't understand one word the clown
with the toothpick was saying.
That's why I agree with McNamara that there was something "funny" going on, although apparently, we are not supposed to question it, according to some here.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Well JT and EC could have been our Delonte West and Jameer Nelson by his sophmore year when biggie and MP graduate. Would have been a nasty backcourt with great coaching. We still have EC and we will see what butler develops into this year. We will be more than ok without JT but he could have put it over the edge to championship level.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

did they say their locker room upgrade cost $1.8M?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

With the recent ok state recruiting scandal, we have a right to asume that there was a possibility that they also use the same recruiting methods in basketball
0 x
GO RAMS