'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: alex murphy

Unread post by Rhody74 »

0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I'm hearing a decision has been made and it's likely Fla
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Sign the frosh, Dan! Hurry! :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

How good of a program does Prout have? What kind of competition do they play?
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

That's to bad for us if Florida is the choice. Hopefully it works out for him though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well. it was a nice thought, anyway.
We really could have used him.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Hard lean to fla. Bd promising similar role to big bro.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

TruePoint wrote:How good of a program does Prout have? What kind of competition do they play?
If you're that size in Rhode Island, there is no competition. He'll eventually have to go somewhere else.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Also considering PC, Fla, and Northeastern
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Northeastern?????????????????????
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Northeastern?????????????????????
Academics, I would think.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Although there are some other pretty good schools in Boston. The BC people aren't very happy that he is considering Northeastern and not BC.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If we happen to get Murphy, that must mean Hare is gone since that would be his scholarship? Anybody disagree?
0 x
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

As posted earlier and elsewhere I believe, a transfer within the conference is normally frowned upon and usually requires a two year sitting out period.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote:Although there are some other pretty good schools in Boston. The BC people aren't very happy that he is considering Northeastern and not BC.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

We have a scholarship to give, regardless of Hare being in or out.
jmck is right. BC is also an ACC school.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

How do we have a scholarship to give with Hare back in the fold? Watson is coming for the second semester. You only get 13 scholarships..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

CT Rhody wrote:How do we have a scholarship to give with Hare back in the fold? Watson is coming for the second semester. You only get 13 scholarships..
We only started the season with 12 scholarship players.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:
CT Rhody wrote:How do we have a scholarship to give with Hare back in the fold? Watson is coming for the second semester. You only get 13 scholarships..
Wait, I confused myself....that would make 14 unless someone left.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bill Koch ‏@BillKoch25 53m
Source tells the Independent Alex Murphy took an unofficial visit to Kingston yesterday. #URI vying for Duke transfer's services. #Rams

Bill posted this less than an hour ago, so it doesn't seemed like he has ruled out URI yet.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:
Wait, I confused myself....that would make 14 unless someone left.
Exactly..
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Can we play the twitter game again like we did with Terrell? Alex has 3 recent additions to his follow list.....Onlygators.com., Billy Donovan and Matt McCall(assistant coach at Florida).
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Billyboy78 wrote:
TruePoint wrote:How good of a program does Prout have? What kind of competition do they play?
If you're that size in Rhode Island, there is no competition. He'll eventually have to go somewhere else.
Prout is D2 this year, but in past seasons, they were D3. This matters less now, since RI has an open state tournament and any team could win the state title regardless of division. Prout played Classical on Friday night - I believe they are a D1 program, but it was a non-division Injury Fund (exhibition) game. Kind of like the college exhibition season, some teams will play those games legit, while others will experiment with line-ups and use swing / crossover kids, just to get them experience in a non-division game.

Billyboy's point is correct though - When it comes to Rhode Island basketball currently, it's unlikely anyone would challenge Tomas Murphy at his listed height (6'7"), if he is a really skilled player. I'm not positive, but I don't think anyone involved in the past two or three years of the state basketball tournament was a serious D1 prospect. You mostly have players getting recruited by D2 and D3 schools, although I believe some of the female players at La Salle and Bay View have gone D1.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Just found this. Wonder if this changes anything...

FOX Sports Florida ‏@SunSportsFOXFL 52m
Highly touted freshman Chris Walker enrolls at Florida, practices with team on Saturday.
0 x
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

Greetings and Happy Holidays to all,

Hopefully a truly happy holidays for us rhody faithful. I bring good news indeed.

Ive always had a good relationship with Alex and many of our mutual friends run in the same circles.

It was about a year ago when Jabari Parker committed to duke that we started to hear that alex wanted out and he knew he wasn't going to be getting starters minutes playing behind parker and hood; but was told repeatedly by the staff that he would be getting at least 12-15 mins a game. *sidenote- it cant be easy to try and juggle mins when you have 10 to 12 top 100 recruits on every team, but the way coach k and his staff went about this one was why it made it so easy for him to leave.*

I feel like he wasted another semester of eligibility when everyone close to him and in the know, knew that the writing was on the wall. Cant blame him though, got to travel all summer, practice everyday against top 5 talents and a potential superstar, and he was under the impression that he would be playing solid minutes on a team that could win it all.

Have had some good trusted friends that have spoken directly with alex over the last week or so and were with him last night. For goodman to say that alex was taking an unofficial visit to uri is just stupid reporting. If that was an unofficial visit, then alex eric and tomas have taken hundreds of them in their lifetimes. They literally live 3 mins away from campus. South road and sweet allen farm might as well be on campus haha. The murphys have been working out in the facilities there for years, Alex was one of the first people to see the new court as he was playing pickup games their in early October when he was home for the weekend.

That being said, their wasn't a lot of talk during his "visit" yesterday. He's already familiar with the program and the coaches. He knows a bunch of the guys on the team personally and he's very aware of what hurleys intention is. He respects him and knows that the program is on the rise. He knows he can be an extremely good 3/4 here and in the a-10. Everything in regards to Rhody has been laid out for him for a while now. Coaches will never admit it but conversations along the lines of "hey alex hows duke? oh that's great well if you ever need anything don't hesitate to call" have occurred as they do everywhere. Hes got friends here who are Rhody homers like myself who have put the pressure on him. my buddy whos been tight with alex for years has been sending him the same "time to come home bro" text everyday and he laughs and says "I know bro".

I can say this, no matter what any website or insider says, Alex has no interest in going to pc. Zero. he likes cooley but if he's staying home he's staying home. plus he knows he would start here right away and get heavy minutes and that isn't guaranteed at pc. not to mention the fact that pc doesn't even have an open scholarship available, although ive been hearing rumors the two suspended freshman are getting a little ancy.

The bottom line is, alex wants to go to florida. the feeling might not be completely mutual. idk where the northeastern or Davidson things came from because neither is being considered as of right now. BC never had a chance because as you all ascertained, he has no interest in staying in the acc and having to go back to duke.

In regards to florida, if there is an available spot for him then he will prob end up there (Donovan loves the family and is smart enough to see Tomas on the horizon) but there is two things working in our favor. 1. he doesn't care about following in his brothers footsteps, but he wants to play and the minutes just might not be there for him. that is paramount, he wants to play and play a lot. I just don't see that happening there and he's aware of it. 2. There's a caveat that nobody has seemed to pick up on and it has been discussed, the ncaa hardship waiver. Alex would be able to gain immediate eligibility and not have to sit out a year if he can prove to the ncaa that he needed to go home for a personal situation. transferring to uri would satisfy the major requirement of returning home but he would need to prove just cause. the ncaa has actually become increasingly more lenient with this rule in recent years (billy baron following his father and this season former pc signee and resident a-hole Joseph Young transferred from Houston to Oregon following the demotion of his father on the coaching staff although he remained on the staff, but also by citing the fact that he needed to be closer to family in the tough time of his fathers demotion; all who are familiar with joe young as im sure sean the pc fan is, know that his family resides in texas which is oh so close to Oregon right?). So alex has a sick aunt or his parents are never around cause there following eric around the country with the bulls and he needs to be home to take care of tomas. Lesser excuses have been made to work before.

Bottom line is we got a shot and a great one at that. he may not have lived up to the 15th best player in his class hype at duke but trust me this kid is a hell of a ball player and would be a matchup nightmare in the a-10. He knows what he can be here and how great of a story it would be for the local kid to lead the hometown team back to the ncaas. my friends and I will continue to do our part in trying to get him here as he said the other day that he will decide very soon. So now we revert to our old ways when he was playing for PC (albeit way before my time) and think (Billy Donovan go F yourself).
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Hey great post and insight from the inside. When you point out he could play right away, are we talking second semester or first semester of next year? It would be tough to breaks into that Florida linup when u come back in the second semester due to continuity etc, hopefully he knows that.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We should have the full court press on here, this is a perfect situation for both team and player.....

I was just thinking today for some reason how many truly great players we have had.

Time for another......
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does Alex play the 3 or the 4? The fact that a McDonald's All-American power forward just enrolled at Florida and began practicing today can't help Florida as far as promising playing time for Alex. I don't know what Florida's scholarship situation is either.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If Hare doesn't come back until next year then we don't have a scholarship issue FYI. That's if we were to land Murphy of course. If this happened, we would have a big team next year!
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote:We should have the full court press on here, this is a perfect situation for both team and player.....

I was just thinking today for some reason how many truly great players we have had.

Time for another......
From what I heard....the full court press IS on. OF COURSE we want Alex at URI. This would be win win for everyone. Nice kid too. He needs to play ball and where better than in his backyard. We are going to the tournament soon, and we need his position to get there. Hope he sees the light and stays. I'll still root for the local guys but it would be nice if it meant something to us personally.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Dear SlyWilliamsCaddy, aka AlexMurphy'sCaddy:
You must be a teenager or 20-21 years-old. Everything your "friend" tells you or you're privy to should stay between you and your "friend." It's called being a friend and being trustworthy. If I were your "friend" and read all of this stuff, I wouldn't know if I'd say a word in front of you again.
Also, people who read this board, 98% of us, are die-hard URI fans, and a lot of us have been for three-times longer than you've been alive -- BUT -- if I need to read what Alex Murphy said or is thinking, let Alex Murphy post it himself.
Reading your post was like catching a Peeping-Tom giving a Fox In-Game Report. :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock:
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

If he is able to acquire a waiver, I believe he would have 2.5yrs to play unless somebody knows otherwise. You have 5 years to play 4, the reason he has 1.5yrs left is because he redshirted already and would only play 3yrs of the 5. If he goes to URI and gets the waiver, he could get that year back and play for 4yrs in the 5yr window. I would think this must be a huge sway for him to at least try for the waiver and enroll at URI.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

bressler3south wrote:Dear SlyWilliamsCaddy, aka AlexMurphy'sCaddy:
You must be a teenager or 20-21 years-old. Everything your "friend" tells you or you're privy to should stay between you and your "friend." It's called being a friend and being trustworthy. If I were your "friend" and read all of this stuff, I wouldn't know if I'd say a word in front of you again.
Also, people who read this board, 98% of us, are die-hard URI fans, and a lot of us have been for three-times longer than you've been alive -- BUT -- if I need to read what Alex Murphy said or is thinking, let Alex Murphy post it himself.
Reading your post was like catching a Peeping-Tom giving a Fox In-Game Report. :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock: :oops: :o :shock:
Bad day? Lay off the kid, that kind of info is what these boards are for.. Speculation at its best.
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Hometown kid at URI he'll be the toast of the State of Rhode Island. Hurley and Thor should be pulling out all the stops.

GO RHODY!
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

No, CT Rhody, not a bad day at all! Even had a fantastic Friday the 13th!!!!!!!! How did your day go? I hope that you have an even better day tomorrow!
Oh, yeah: my apologies if I offended your sensibilities concerning AlexMurphy'sCaddy.
SPECULATE-AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(By-the-way: My post wasn't about s-p-e-c-u-l-a-t-i-i-o-n, CT Rhody…..it was about T-R-U-S-T and a SUPPOSED FRIEND'S PRIVACY. But that's enough. You won't hear a peep outta me!!!!!!!!!!) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol: 8-) :lol:
0 x
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

yea bressler cause alex spends all his time worrying about wtf you think. do you understand what wtf means bressler? or are you three times too old for that as well. im 25 years old d-bag. grew up playing aau ball with Erik and my parents live in the same neighborhood. idc if alex sees what im writing. i send that same shit to him everyday. u have spent 60 years caring about uri ball and ive spent every minute of my life doing the same. read the name bro, still know enough about the team to know why Sly didnt show up in prov and in kingston instead. got pictures of my parents sitting on the front of that golden caddy he all of a sudden had when he showed up. just cuz im 25 doesn't mean that my opinions are not as valid as yours. sorry i got my ear to whats going on with our program and u just want to sit on here and troll. go talk about jason or jordan or watever that garbage u were spewing out of ur mouth was. were in the digital age nowadays bud and this type of info is exactly why we have this board. my post isnt speculation, its cold hard fact straight from the horses mouth. go back to the top of the first page of this thread, you think i posted the original alex info because i was ill informed? no buddy i posted that because alex told me what was going on ya idiot. instead of wasting anymore of my time acknowledging you're stupid opinion and annoying emoticons ill get back to trying to get my friend to come home. and talking real facts.

Fact. Bressler you are totally worthless

Fact. my 5 year old neice uses emoticons

Fact. any self respecting 60 year old man doesnt use emoticons

Fact. people are on here for information

Fact. Alex willingly contributed that information

Fact. theres world class reporters out there like jeff goodman reporting SPECULATION that hes considering schools that he blatantly isnt.

Fact. the only peeping tom here is the 60 year old weirdo who spends his days commenting on 20 year old kids college plans.

me on the other hand i just individually know the kid and try to get him to go to my alma matter, while hes making a decision.

Ill spend my time trying to make the program better in any way i can because other then contributing money i dont have, its very rare that ill actually have a legitimate opportunity to do so.

Bressler you stay on here and keep posting worthless nothings because thats def getting us over the top.

Billyboy- alex is naturally a 3 because thats the only way he would make it to the league, personally i dont think he has the talent of erik so the league is kind of outta the question but who knows, if orion outerbridge is playing in the nbdl maybe anybody can do it haha. but he would easily play the 3, 4 and 5 for us. maybe more of a point foward 4 and let hassan play the 3 but then again hassans played the 5 this year so who knows how hurley would deploy him. more of a size issue. alex is listed at 6'9 but honestly hes prob more 6'8 and tomas is already taller then him.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well this is certainly interesting. I for one appreciate the info. I'm sure you wouldn't have posted it if there were any concerns about people being mad about it.

I won't get my hopes up, but sure would be a nice addition. The waiver thing seems like a stretch though. Would be great, but I bet he'd have to sit out still.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Waiver is an incredible long shot.
Florida was early and firm leader with Alex and his parents. Hurley would have to change his mind.
Bresler and Caddy need to grow up.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For what its worth...

0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Alex is looking for playing time and a coach who is honest with him. He felt like he was one of he best players in practice but couldn't get minutes in game. Family trusts Billy D and Hurley.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Sounds like Florida is the choice if they have already made a decision. With all the waivers the NCAA passes out, nothing is a long shot.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, I hope it's us. As my mother used to say,
"Hope for the best and expect the worst."
We do have a scholarship left, regardless of Hare being
in or out.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Rod, how do we have an available scholarship with the Juco starting next semester? I respect you as a poster which is why I'm inquiring since you might know something that we don't.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He'll get more PT here than Florida. That's for sure.

He would make a much bigger impact for us than them.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:"Hope for the best and expect the worst."
I think this is wise advice right now concerning his decision. It would be great for many reasons, but I'm assuming it's Florida and will be pleasantly surprised if it's us.
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

I guess they could pull Hare's scholarship and give it to Murphy.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, Mr. Sly, I assume if he's made a decision, you must know it, right?

Right??????

I know you probably can't say anything before he does, or shouldn't in any case....
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I'm hearing it might be Northwestern not Northeastern. Chris Collins, who recruited him to Duke is there. Either way, it's likely Florida with Hurley trying to pull off a miracle
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He can go to Northwestern, and never be heard from again...........

I don't know, I have a feeling he's coming to Kingston.
0 x