'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I thought reading this board was humorous, you should read the PC boards thread on Alex Murphy. One poster just stated it's between PC and Florida for Thomas Murphy who by the way is only a freshman in HS. Chances of that actually becoming true is somewhere between 0%-1%.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

It's even funnier when they talk about a potential NCAA championship.
They thought Abu was signed, sealed and delivered for over a year.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The only way Tomas considers pc or URI is if he fails to progress to an elite level......Papa Murph won't allow him to go to a non-BCS school....and it seems BC is not good enough for his kids either.....and that's his alma mater.....

Cut our losses and ignore them from now on........
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It's even funnier when they talk about a potential NCAA championship.
Would you boys like to revisit the threads that had a Terrel/EC matthews Back court putting URI in the drivers seat in the A-10 and in the NCAAs next year?

Everyone gets excited over recruits.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, those were the days.....
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

You fellas loin for those days. Oh, brother! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

At least it was better than the silent movies that are going
on now.
Slightly off topic, remember when Wagner got a former Michigan POY to somehow transfer there?
Duwan Anderson was his name. 4 star, top 100 recruit.
We all wished that he'd follow Hurley here.
Well, he's averaging 4.4ppg. and riding the bench at Wagner.
You just never know. I'm sure everyone from Hurley on down to their fans, felt he'd dominate
their level of competition.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Does anyone know what who some of the top prospects on St. Anthony's are? At some point we are going to get one of those guys...probably without hearing anything about it beforehand. I'd like to dream.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That pipeline, that many assumed would be automatic,
seems a pipe dream.
While we're at it, how many great players come out of local powerhouse St. Andrew's?
It always bothered me that Baron never got a single one in his decade plus, here.
Never seemed involved, either.
Will this change, under Hurley and company?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Rod, to me right now, I'd be happier with some good recruiting news, over what's happening right now on the court.

Dan's recruiting over the next couple of years means everything to the future of this program. The lack of news is bothersome. You and I both agree on that.

I know the staff is hard at work on laying the groundwork for 2015-16 and even beyond. Until we get some concrete results, I'll be concerned about that aspect of the program.

Dan says not to worry. But should we?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Dan also said we had enough shooters.
Love the guy, but he's not infallible.
I brought up the Anderson/Wagner thing, because, how could so many
"experts" be so off base? That includes Dan and Tom Izzo.
This guy originally committed to MSU. His mother died and he got out of
his commitment there.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I really don't know how you guys do it, and I mean that with a mix of admiration and thinking you guys might be a touch crazy. I try to stay out of the recruitment forum just because I've never liked roller coasters. The two topics I have gotten sucked into were the Terrell one and now this one. I really am going to make a better effort to stay out A. because I can't deal with this "he loves us, he loves us not...stuff and B. I might be a bad luck guy when it comes to recruiting. And I say this as a fan. I can't imagine having a large part of the success or failure of my career graded on recruiting and the whims and ideas of these players.
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

apparently this year's St Anthonys team is young and does not have any blue chip prospects....big article on them in today's NY Post because a former assistant under Hurley Sr is coaching against St Anthony's tonight. They are 8-2 in a "down year"...we could only be so lucky.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:I really don't know how you guys do it, and I mean that with a mix of admiration and thinking you guys might be a touch crazy. I try to stay out of the recruitment forum just because I've never liked roller coasters. The two topics I have gotten sucked into were the Terrell one and now this one. I really am going to make a better effort to stay out A. because I can't deal with this "he loves us, he loves us not...stuff and B. I might be a bad luck guy when it comes to recruiting. And I say this as a fan. I can't imagine having a large part of the success or failure of my career graded on recruiting and the whims and ideas of these players.
Agree with this, plus the high school to college jump is so enormous, you're basically dealing with huge outcome ranges anyway. The higher ranked a player is, the more likely they are to become a NBA or All-Conference caliber talent, but there are so, so, so many exceptions that it can make your head spin.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

rodfromcranston wrote:It's even funnier when they talk about a potential NCAA championship.

Not sure why you think that is so funny but that is Cooley"s goal he has said it many times and even if Dan Hurley has not said It I am sure it is his also. Maybe all these years with Jimbo has softened you up Rod I thought you also had high goals for your team.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wanting it is one thing, but talking about it as if it were an inevitability is laughable.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

National championships are pipe dreams for schools like PC and URI.....I think reality is 2 or 3 NCAA appearances in a 5 year period is a lofty goal for non-BCS schools...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

X and Temple are/were two exceptions to that.

It's doable, but not likely for us to match their track record.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Wanting it is one thing, but talking about it as if it were an inevitability is laughable.
You dress for the job you want; not the one you have.

If I told you 4 years ago PC would have 3 straight recruiting classes with top 100 talent; would you have laughed?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Sean, I probably would have first asked when does Keno get fired and who replaces him.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

It would be crazy for a coach to NOT have this as a goal. Butler got to two title games and about two inches from winning one. This is not college football where titles are probably restricted to a few dozen (at most) programs. If you put together a very good core and then maybe add a top 50 type player as the cored grows, then anything can happen. If you put together a team good enough to get to the Elite Eight then it's good enough to win. Especially with the one and doners. All the elite talent never stick around long enough for their to be a team that has Bobby Hurley, Laettner, Grant Hill, Thomas Hill, etc.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Agree with others about the expectations. Heck, even Jim Baron said he wanted to win a national championship, that that was the goal of each season.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

If your goal isnt to win a title then what are you doing?
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

ATPTourFan wrote:Sean, I probably would have first asked when does Keno get fired and who replaces him.
Solid point. Nice guy; but WAAAAYY over his skis in the Big East conference.
0 x
woodennickel1
ARD

Unread post by woodennickel1 »

Ramulous wrote:National championships are pipe dreams for schools like PC and URI.....I think reality is 2 or 3 NCAA appearances in a 5 year period is a lofty goal for non-BCS schools...

About seventeen years ago I probably would have agreed with this thinking but then saw PC lose to eventual national champion Arizona then the following year saw URI give a away a game to a team I believe they were better then Stanford to get to the final four where I believe the National champion that year was a very beatable Kentucky team. Since then both George Mason and Wichita State have been to the final four.Need a good coach and all the pieces to fall into place but in my opinion is doable.
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

woodennickel1 wrote:
Ramulous wrote:National championships are pipe dreams for schools like PC and URI.....I think reality is 2 or 3 NCAA appearances in a 5 year period is a lofty goal for non-BCS schools...

About seventeen years ago I probably would have agreed with this thinking but then saw PC lose to eventual national champion Arizona then the following year saw URI give a away a game to a team I believe they were better then Stanford to get to the final four where I believe the National champion that year was a very beatable Kentucky team. Since then both George Mason and Wichita State have been to the final four.Need a good coach and all the pieces to fall into place but in my opinion is doable.
holy run-on sentence
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Section104 wrote:
woodennickel1 wrote:

holy run-on sentence
Obviously an English major at PC.....
0 x