'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: Alex Murphy - Where will he transfer?

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I can assure you that Ramulous is hardly a PC fan, and is a
long time Ram.
I also agree that we're wasting time on the Murphys.
Ed Cooley can say,"Tomas is my number one priority",and live on his doorstep for
four years, but, as with Abu, that doesn't mean anything, if the player doesn't feel
going to PC is their number one priority.
Same as with Hurley and Terrell.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

If you want any reliable information, wait for Alex Murphy's link, SlyWilliam'sCaddy, or better yet, later today or tomorrow, Alex Murphy himself!!!!
Personally, if he goes to URI, great! 8-) If he goes to Florida, wow, what a surprise. :lol: If he goes the way of the Friar, then I'd be annoyed. :x
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

You have to set your sights high if you ever expect to compete with the best. Look at what PC is doing with their recruiting, it's a nothing program for the past ten years or so and Cooley has them believing again because he is going after top national level recruits, we need to be doing the same. I don't regret that Hurley made the push for Terrell at all, we need to be in more of those top recruit conversations.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

KMAC reported in today's PROJO that alex has chosen Florida and could announce as early as today. so, that's that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Let's end the Murphy fantsies, please.
These people obviously feel they're too good
as players and students, to consider pond scum such
as us.
I've seen Jay Murphy around URI, since he used to go to Harrick's practices
in the late 90's. People take this as a sign of interest in the program.
I take it as a sign of boredom, by someone who likes being around the game,
and URI is close to home.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Murphy opts for Duke (glad they read their own headline. Dopes!)

"After considering PC, URI and Northeastern, South Kingstown’s Alex Murphy is expected to choose to transfer from Duke to Florida. An announcement could come as early as Wednesday.

Murphy played minimally at Duke as he struggled with injuries early in his career and then the Blue Devils loaded up on star forwards at his position, such as current freshman star Jabari Parker. At Florida, he’ll become eligible next December and help Billy Donovan replace three senior big men in Patric Young, Will Yeguete and Casey Prather. Murphy’s older brother, Erik, starred for the Gators last season and is now with the Chicago Bulls."
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Alex Murphy would rather rot on the bench in Florida [which he will] rather than make a name for himself here.

He says he wants more minutes. What he REALLY wants, is to be on a potential national title team, whether he plays or not.

We're not good enough for him, simple as that. And I mean that as sarcasm.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Let's end the Murphy fantsies, please.
These people obviously feel they're too good
as players and students, to consider pond scum such
as us.
I've seen Jay Murphy around URI, since he used to go to Harrick's practices
in the late 90's. People take this as a sign of interest in the program.
I take it as a sign of boredom, by someone who likes being around the game,
and URI is close to home.
Why do you say that? The older brother picked a coach who has played in a Final Four and won two national titles. Alex picked a coach with four rings and two gold medals and then went to Billy Donovan. Have they ever said anything negative about URI? Just wondering. The only problem I would have, if that was my kid, would be giving up a Duke degree for a year and a half at FL where he will probably be a role player.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Would have been nice, but I never for a second thought he'd and
his family, would stoop to him attending URI.
We're just a place for the old man to hang around when he's got nothing
better to do, and a place for his kids to work out, because it's close to home.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If that's the case, should we even bother trying to recruit Tomas?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Billyboy78 wrote:If that's the case, should we even bother trying to recruit Tomas?
Of course! Because someone speculates that Jay Murphy just wants a free workout? Not all brothers are created equal. Maybe it is important for him to stay close to home. There is so much prep talent within 100 miles of URI. The cost of trying is so low and the reward is so big. It's not like you have to hop on a flight to LAX to see great players. The last ten years of New England prep hoops is like a who's who of great college players.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I wouldn't recruit Tomas, and I have a hard time believing that Coach K isn't rewarding one of the "best" players in practice.

By all accounts Coach K loves hard work and is fair and blah blah blah. ALSO with that being said, they have notably had a lack of talent at the forward positions this year at least that is what was being said in November(they play Parker at the 5) and parker doesn't jump off the court as a defender or a rebounder. He rests on the defensive end. Just by Alex's absence on the court I would guarantee that Alex just outright can't do something on the court(likely rebound or defend). Albeit he must do something well, but I would bet he is a liability at something out there. Why else could he spend so much time under a coach noted for making players better, rewarding hard work, and playing the guys that deserve to play, but never seeing the court. They play their best 5 players this year if you listen to Duke, they play nontraditional lineups???? So there is nobody in front of him.

Glad he choose UF instead of the illustrious URI, we need talent that can give us a few more years, 4 or 3 years left guys.

Anybody see the kid at Yale dominate PC last night? something like that preferably.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

You know what. My ass that he even considered Uri, PC and northeastern. Its been Florida the whole time. I'm tired of this crap.
0 x
GO RAMS
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

As I've stated many times; I dint mind when local kids spurn the local schools for appreciably better schools. If we start losing local kids to schools of the same level; I'll be worried.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

After reading about PC against Yale, it looks more and more like PC isn't very good in their current shorthanded state.

Which doesn't make our game against them [PC] look that great either.

Discouraging. We have a LONG way to go, to get to the top half of the A10. A much longer way than any of us thought before this season started.

Dan has his work cut out for him the next couple of years.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's still this ridiculous courting ritual, that inevitably comes up empty.
I think there was never any serious consideration of PC or URI.
Oh, and that big kid for Yale? Wow!
0 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

rambone 78 wrote:After reading about PC against Yale, it looks more and more like PC isn't very good in their current shorthanded state.

Which doesn't make our game against them [PC] look that great either.

Discouraging. We have a LONG way to go, to get to the top half of the A10. A much longer way than any of us thought before this season started.

Dan has his work cut out for him the next couple of years.

Rambone,

You've said the same thing roughly 3000 times. We get it. Does it need to be restated on every single thread on this board? Do you not have anything better to do than continue posting the same message over and over and over?

The sun will rise tomorrow, I promise.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup!
Attachments
eeyore-1.gif
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

^haha
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Alex Murphy to transfer to Florida
Updated: December 18, 2013, 11:11 AM ET
By Jeff Goodman | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0TWEET0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
Former Duke Blue Devils forward Alex Murphy is headed to Florida Gators.

Murphy, the younger brother of former Florida big man Erik Murphy, told ESPN.com that he intends to transfer to the Gators.

More from ESPN.com
Florida has made three straight trips to the Elite Eight, but this might well be the Gators' best team since their 2007 championship. They showed it by beating Memphis on Tuesday in the Jimmy V Classic, writes Dana O'Neil. Story

In a game that lacked offense, Cincinnati controlled the rebounding battle and handed Pitt its first loss, writes Dana O'Neil. Story

• Nation blog

"I really appreciate the experience at Duke, playing for a Hall of Fame coach in Mike Krzyzewski," Murphy told ESPN.com. "I learned a lot as a player and a person.

"I've gotten a chance to know Coach (Billy) Donovan and the program. I think it's a great fit for me to continue my career. I think they can help me develop as a player -- and that I can help them a lot as well."

The 6-foot-8 redshirt sophomore also considered Rhode Island, Providence and Northeastern.

Murphy redshirted his freshman year after suffering a concussion in the preseason. He played sparingly last season and with the abundance of wings already in the program and the addition of Justise Winslow and Grayson Allen next year, decided to continue his college career elsewhere.

Murphy played five games this season and averaged one point and one rebound.

Murphy's older brother, Erik, struggled in his first two seasons with Donovan before thriving in the final two. Erik Murphy was taken in the second round of the NBA Draft this past June and is now a rookie with the Chicago Bulls.

It will also be interesting to see if the addition of Alex Murphy puts the Gators in a solid position to land the youngest Murphy, Tomas, a 6-foot-7 freshman who is sure to attract the attention from elite programs as he matures.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All this begs the question:
Is Coach K that bad a judge of talent?
He's seen Murphy for two and a half years,
counting the redshirt year.
If he thought he was any good, wouldn't he have played him?
Maybe Billy D is using Alex as a mean toward getting Tomas to Florida,
as this article suggests.
Zags just told me that URI and PC were never seriously considered.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Wonder if we really had a chance?? The Journal today also mentioned Northeastern was in the mix....what's up with that?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

It would be a joke if Murphy gets a waiver to play right away. Based on what: Coach K was mean to him?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Re: A-10 RPI

Unread post by Running Ram »

RE: the Murphy comments...If you (GBG) don't get why Rod would be irritated by the Murphy's lack of interest in our program, then you just don't get it. I'm going to bother to explain it from my pov, because Wednesday is my day off and this forum is my news and social outlet. Rhody has poured and cured a solid foundation with movement towards the goal of competing with and becoming a great basketball program. Folks like the Murphys and others from our own area looking down their noses at little ole Rhody is hurtful. Sure we don't cry ourselves to sleep on our giant pillows over it, but it sucks, to say the least, losing out on local talent to programs thousands of miles from home. It's a very simple emotion to understand, questioning it seems silly to me, and is probably meant as a provocation, ie you're poking the bear, don't get mauled.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

its funny when both rivals make the playoffs. My pc friends always say they would support URI if BOTH made the big dance. I usually call BS but something in me would like to see it happen.
0 x
GO RAMS
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I really don't think Jay Murphy would ever send one of his sons to URI. He thinks they are all TOO GOOD. URI will probabably still kiss his ass and hope that Tomas will will be different. He however probably goes elsewhere just as his brothers. Given that likelihood, I might prefer that Rhody ignore Jay and the entire Murphy family. No contact, no free tickets to the game, no use of any of the the facilities, etc...URI owes the Murphys nothing, even if they live just off campus. If anything it is them that owe URI for all the unrequited attention it has given them.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

RF1 + 10
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

And the NE Playazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz?????????????? Still coaching them, influence, etc.,?????????????? Don't bite the hand that may feed you……... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So? Have we ever gotten ONE player from them?
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,Rod, Rod, Rod,
Did you miss the laughter?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!CHILDISH!!!!!!!
WHERE'S SLY WILLIAMS CADDY WHEN YOU NEED HIM?????????????????????????????????????????????????
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Speaking of transfers, has anyone seen how little playing-time Dominic Woodson and Kuran Iverson are getting at Memphis???? Their game stats and season stats are, well, a bit "underwhelming" to say the least. Better start those threads, too!!!!!!!!!!!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Coach K may not be wrong; he's just been able to recruit guys like Parker. No shame in getting beat out by him.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

I ask this to all of you closer to the bball program than I am, Is it time to worry whether Hurley can get it done here or if it can be done here at all no matter the coach? I know it's only year two but from my POV, the team has has regressed, we have yet to land that really big fish that i think it needed to get us over the hump, been unable to close on the likes of a Terrell or Murphy(which I'm leaning toward us never really having a shot with either of them), no major recruits for 2014, and of those high school players left for 2014, in most cases there clearly has to be a reason they aren't signed yet. Maybe I am being a bit of an Eeyorel but some of you have to be starting to think the same thing. It really is tough to stay positive. From a PC POV, at least Cooley has landed some fishes(Dunn, a couple kids next year, etc) in his short time.
Last edited by GansettRam74 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Running Ram wrote:RE: the Murphy comments...If you (GBG) don't get why Rod would be irritated by the Murphy's lack of interest in our program, then you just don't get it. I'm going to bother to explain it from my pov, because Wednesday is my day off and this forum is my news and social outlet. Rhody has poured and cured a solid foundation with movement towards the goal of competing with and becoming a great basketball program. Folks like the Murphys and others from our own area looking down their noses at little ole Rhody is hurtful. Sure we don't cry ourselves to sleep on our giant pillows over it, but it sucks, to say the least, losing out on local talent to programs thousands of miles from home. It's a very simple emotion to understand, questioning it seems silly to me, and is probably meant as a provocation, ie you're poking the bear, don't get mauled.
I guess what I am saying is did I miss some comment or action that Jay Murphy or any of his kids that shows he is looking down his nose at URI. Jay Murphy went to BC and has been, with his kids, to a million BC games. Does he look down his nose at his alma mater because neither (and probably Tomas, too) didn't go to BC? Sometimes, it's just a matter of the kids liked Duke and Florida better as a college option than Rhody. I understand being bummed about it but don't understand thinking that it's anything more than a choice. Again, they chose K and Donovan. Tough to argue with that, especially when it was Baron at the helm when they made their choice.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

GansettRam74 wrote:I ask this to all of you closer to the bball program than I am, Is it time to being to worry whether Hurley can get it done here or if it can be done here at all no matter the coach? I know it's only year two but from my POV, the team has has regressed, we have yet to land that really big fish that i think it needed to get us over the hump, been unable to close on the likes of a Terrell or Murphy(which I'm leaning toward us never really having a shot with either of them), no major recruits for 2014, and of those high school players left for 2014, in most cases there clearly has to be a reason they aren't signed yet. Maybe I am being a bit of an Eeyorel but some of you have to be starting to think the same thing. It really is tough to stay positive. From a PC POV, at least Cooley has landed some fishes(Dunn, a couple kids next year, etc) in his short time.
Regressed? I don't quite think so. We are not even halfway done with season two, what did you expect at this point? There have been many aspects of the program that needed dire attention, the last guy, and to a lesser extent his youngest son, really screwed the program good. DH and staff have been on a tightrope with regards to the team's academic standing as an example. Put it this way, he took over a full on train wreck. I personally am quite pleased with where the program has come since DH got here, not withstanding my displeasure with some on-court results, I didn't expect us to be flirting with the top 25 this year, but we do have some really nice pieces of a large puzzle in place. I do expect us to be a better team by years end than we are now and for that trend to continue.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

GansettRam74 wrote:I ask this to all of you closer to the bball program than I am, Is it time to worry whether Hurley can get it done here or if it can be done here at all no matter the coach? I know it's only year two but from my POV, the team has has regressed, we have yet to land that really big fish that i think it needed to get us over the hump, been unable to close on the likes of a Terrell or Murphy(which I'm leaning toward us never really having a shot with either of them), no major recruits for 2014, and of those high school players left for 2014, in most cases there clearly has to be a reason they aren't signed yet. Maybe I am being a bit of an Eeyorel but some of you have to be starting to think the same thing. It really is tough to stay positive. From a PC POV, at least Cooley has landed some fishes(Dunn, a couple kids next year, etc) in his short time.
Sorry, but this is ridiculous.
0 x
Go Rhody!
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Gonebarongone wrote:they chose K and Donovan. Tough to argue with that, especially when it was Baron at the helm when they made their choice.
Good point, doesn't reduce the sting of rejection.

In this world there is potential and there is kinetic, we need folks like the Murphys to realize turning potential into kinetic is where its at. Rome wasn't built in a day, but key days propelled it to 'greatness'. We will be great, too bad for those folks that don't want in at this level. They will be CRUSHED!!!!!! mwaahhahahahaa!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :o :lol: :lol: :lol: :x :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Gonebarongone wrote:they chose K and Donovan. Tough to argue with that, especially when it was Baron at the helm when they made their choice.
This choice however did not involve Baron. Chew on that for a while. Given what had transpired at a big time program like Duke where he was recruited over and saw little playing time, he still rejected Rhody where this would not be as much of an issue. This was likely the best shot at landing one of the Murphy's and it still didn't happen. It doesn't matter whp the coach is. The Murphys feel Rhody is not good enough.
Last edited by RF1 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:I ask this to all of you closer to the bball program than I am, Is it time to worry whether Hurley can get it done here or if it can be done here at all no matter the coach? I know it's only year two but from my POV, the team has has regressed, we have yet to land that really big fish that i think it needed to get us over the hump, been unable to close on the likes of a Terrell or Murphy(which I'm leaning toward us never really having a shot with either of them), no major recruits for 2014, and of those high school players left for 2014, in most cases there clearly has to be a reason they aren't signed yet. Maybe I am being a bit of an Eeyorel but some of you have to be starting to think the same thing. It really is tough to stay positive. From a PC POV, at least Cooley has landed some fishes(Dunn, a couple kids next year, etc) in his short time.

Don't worry. We are in good hands. Have a little patience.

As far as the Murphys, I wish all them would go to URI, but there are hundreds of schools and each kid can only go to one. You can't take offense if you aren't the one. Personally, I thought Alex would have been a terrific fit for URI and vice versa, but if the kid wants to go to Florida you can't be upset at him and you really can't be upset with his father.
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

ummm yeah you can, I'm proof of that. It's not about ethics TP, it's about emotion.
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Unbelievable we're reading this stuff at this point in the season.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Some of these posters are like:
Attachments
thCA8JNCQA.jpg
thCA8JNCQA.jpg (13.78 KiB) Viewed 1735 times
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Tennis Fan, think about it! It's just a question and right forum. I bet it has been a thought in the back of people's heads including the diehard bball fans after what we've seen thus far. I don't post all that often but read the board numerous times a day and I remember all the chatter this summer anticipating the upcoming season. Now the chatter is mostly gloom except for you, Rod, and a few others who remain strong.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't put the Murphy transfer on Hurley......I put it all on the Murphy family.....kid goes to a great BCS school and for whatever reason does not cut it there......if we cannot get that kid to transfer back home it shows me we should close the doors to Ryan to the Murphy clan starting now....let them buy tickets to get into the games and don't let the kid work out there....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's not often that Rhode Island produces a top high school basketball prospect. It's understandable that we don't get the 4-5 star guys like the Murphys. But, shouldn't we able to get the next level of talent, such as an Andrew Chrabascz ?..... That got me thinking, was Tommy Garrick recruited by anyone outside of Rhode Island?
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

I don't believe he was, and from old family stories, Tommy was a surprisingly hard sell even to URI coming out of high school. "Not heavily recruited" would be an understatement.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don't know if true, but I heard they didn't like Andrew Chrabascz's
handle or shot.
Could have been sour grapes.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

I hope they don't give much to the Murphys going forward. Their home school is UF now and the father went to BC according to someone previously?

We didn't get the kid at St. Andrews either. Forgot his name, father was a rotation guy here?

URI as an institution is fine and the athletics is gaining steam to offer similar level facilities as its peers.

If hometown people don't want to get on board, then so be it.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

NEXT!

GO RHODY!
0 x