'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Alex Murphy - Where will he transfer?

Unread post by TruePoint »

I want Alex to suit up for Rhody as much as anyone here, but isn't there a chance this kid Walker will play for two months and then declare for the draft? Doesn't seem like the type that is going to pursue a degree, and he probably won't even go to class or buy books. Alex won't be eligible to play until about this time next year, so if they figure out the scholarship thing for this spring then I don't see Walker being an impediment (unfortunately).
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Smokinjimit
ARD

Unread post by Smokinjimit »

Caddy is my new favorite poster. Thanks for the info and please keep it coming.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Walker is a 4, Murphy a 3. I don't see it having any impact.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

In today's game parts are interchangeable.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Zero chance Walker is around next year(barring an injury)
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Alex is not on the bench for Duke tonight. I'm pretty sure the 1st semester is not over yet. Isn't that a little strange?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Obviously he's left the team, if not the school.
What's strange about it?
Supposedly Hare was in school, but not with the team.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I just though he would have finished the semester out. There must be only a few days left.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jalen Williams‏@JayWill_iAM
@Camwayne32 Alex Murphy left last week smh

Anti ‏@Camwayne32 38m
@JayWill_iAM wtf I didn't even know it, where he go

Jalen Williams ‏@JayWill_iAM 37m
@Camwayne32 he hasn't decided yet, but I think he home sick so probably Rhode Island

Anti ‏@Camwayne32 37m
@JayWill_iAM he ain't home sick nigga no it's OV for playing time

Jalen Williams ‏@JayWill_iAM 36m
@Camwayne32 I mean that too, but he was always home like he was only at duke this summer for like half the time everyone else was
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote:I just though he would have finished the semester out. There must be only a few days left.
Yeah, I think it is likely he has finished for the semester. That is why he's home. He wouldn't just leave campus a week or so before he finished classes and flush a semester of (elite) college down the toilet.
0 x
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

This would be great but not holding my breath. Gatorsports.com think Murphy to Florida is all but a done deal. Never know now much stock to put in these blogs. Let's hope Christmas comes early
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote:Jalen Williams‏@JayWill_iAM
@Camwayne32 Alex Murphy left last week smh

Anti ‏@Camwayne32 38m
@JayWill_iAM wtf I didn't even know it, where he go

Jalen Williams ‏@JayWill_iAM 37m
@Camwayne32 he hasn't decided yet, but I think he home sick so probably Rhode Island

Anti ‏@Camwayne32 37m
@JayWill_iAM he ain't home sick nigga no it's OV for playing time

Jalen Williams ‏@JayWill_iAM 36m
@Camwayne32 I mean that too, but he was always home like he was only at duke this summer for like half the time everyone else was
Nothing like Twitter to drag us back in
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Please forgive me if this has already been said...I haven't read all the posts; I personally would want to make my own legacy, at my own school. His whole life he has probably been compared to, and followed in his brothers footsteps to some degree. Now is his time to make his own mark. Donovan or not, I would not go to Florida if I were him.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

He left Duke in giid academic standing. Exams taken. Grades submitted.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RIFan wrote:Please forgive me if this has already been said...I haven't read all the posts; I personally would want to make my own legacy, at my own school. His whole life he has probably been compared to, and followed in his brothers footsteps to some degree. Now is his time to make his own mark. Donovan or not, I would not go to Florida if I were him.
Agree, good call.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NJ03
Lamar Odom

Unread post by NJ03 »

hrstrat57 wrote:
RIFan wrote:Please forgive me if this has already been said...I haven't read all the posts; I personally would want to make my own legacy, at my own school. His whole life he has probably been compared to, and followed in his brothers footsteps to some degree. Now is his time to make his own mark. Donovan or not, I would not go to Florida if I were him.
Agree, good call.
Agreed also. Unfortunately a lot of these kids don't think that way. They think about how many of their games will be on ESPN and how many NBA scouts they'll have at their games. Doesn't help that Billy D is promising minutes also.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

Who doesn't promise minutes??? You know, the bottom line is this: the middle-child is always a pain-in-the-ass!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

I think our head coach has some experience playing in the shadow of a more talented sibling. Should be a great fit in that regard.

Alex would also be a perfect fit on this team basketball wise. Hassan and Alex on the wing would be a pretty nasty combo.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

If gator sports is saying into a done deal then that is what I believe. Too bad but I'm getting tired of the Murphy's.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

if alex isn't getting minutes there must be a reason for it, no?

maybe he isn't as great as advertised?

he would be a good fit here and get more minutes than at fl no doubt

he is deluding himself if he thinks otherwise
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

That could be a factor, but the biggest factor is this: he thinks he was treated unfairly by Coach K. He says he was one of the best players in practice and that he should've been playing much more. So now the two most important things are minutes and a coach he feels he can trust.
The Murphy family trusts Donovan, so that's working in his favor big time.
But Hurley is also a straightforward guy, so maybe he can quickly establish a relationship of trust.
That's what URI is up against. It's a long shot but you never know.
0 x
Smokinjimit
ARD

When does he have to announce? It must be soon to get his classes for next year.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Well he probably has to decide soon, but he doesn't really have to announce at all. He can enroll at the school quietly and then just show up at the beginning of the semester and start class if he wants.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I want Alex to come to URI as much as anyone, but I just don't see Jay Murphy allowing his son to go here for a number of reasons. I see Jay at a lot of games and know he respects what we're doing here, but I see Alex going to Florida.
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

The one thing in our favor is that while I am sure both schools are promising him PT, he knows here it is true and there is slim chance of URI recruiting someone under him for his 2 years left.

I'm sure Duke told him he would have PT and look what happened - he knows the same thing can happen at Florida.

I know it is a long-shot and but seems like if it isn't Florida it is us - and it's nice to be in the conversation.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Repetition I know, this is such a good and perfect fit here between this player and our time.

Almost Karma like....
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

hrstrat57 wrote:Repetition I know, this is such a good and perfect fit here between this player and our time.

Almost Karma like....
I agree. It would be a perfect fit. Our freshman and transfers will have a year under their belt and we should see some marked improvement next year from them. I think this year I underestimated the time it takes for a complete roster change to learn each other in game, not just practice. We should be improving going forward. Crowds are up, excitement is up and our program is moving up.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I believe classes start at URI on Jan. 22, so he has plenty of time.
If it's URI, they might wait until the Jordan Hare situation is fully resolved.
If it's Florida it should happen quickly.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

All I want for Xmas is Hare, Murphy, and a SG, even if it's a juco or transfer, for next season to replace X.

That's not asking for much, is it? :shock:
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Murphy flying back today after visiting his brother. Maybe we'll hear something soon?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

rambone 78 wrote:All I want for Xmas is Hare, Murphy, and a SG, even if it's a juco or transfer, for next season to replace X.

That's not asking for much, is it? :shock:
Read a story last week about a little kid who was asking Santa for a Lamborghini. I think he has a better shot than you do.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

At least the little kid was more realistic!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The most infuriating Christmas ad I've ever seen is the one out right now with some unlikeable, bratty little girl telling a mall Santa she wants some car for Christmas and when Santa asks "what color?" the freaking terrible child says "I'll send you some swatches." I'm not going to say that I want anything bad to happen to a little girl, as horrible as she is, but every adult involved in that finding its way onto my TV should be smacked, and the girl's parents should be smacked twice and the girl should be taken away from them. Nothing has ever made me more disgusted than that commercial, and I can't even remember what car it was for so it wasn't even a good ad. (Although if I see it again I will make it a point to remember so I will never buy one, ever.)
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

All of the reasoning sounds good. But it was the same thing when Terrell was on our radar. It's their decision that counts.

Best thing we have right now is we are nice and close to home. If he's homesick, how is going 1500 miles to live in a muggy swamp going to fix that?

Come to URI = close to home and guaranteed minutes + potential to have a leadership role on a good team on the #RISE. The Odom effect, stars that are one and done...and there is nothing wrong with that.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm just about transferred out. I want freshmen who can play.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think we're going to have to wait until the 2015-16 recruiting class, to get those freshmen in here.

Whoever we get to replace X next year [if we do], most likely will be a transfer or juco. That comes from Dan himself.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Look at the top mid major programs that have had success - a lot of jucos and in particular transfers have had an impact. When VCU went on their run I believe they had a transfer, Jordan Crawford transferred to X from Indiana, the kid from butler during their run was a Purdue transfer? This is how teams at our level get elite level talent.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

It's not happening. Billy D has the kid locked up. No one else had a realistic shot. It's Florida.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

seanmc94 wrote:It's not happening. Billy D has the kid locked up. No one else had a realistic shot. It's Florida.
Do you ever post anything positive?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I guess Sean doesn't drive in the snow
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I still get the feeling Alex hasn't made up his mind 100% about going to Florida.

What could be holding him back from coming here, is the current state of this team. We have played so poorly to this point in the season. Does Murphy want to be a part of a team that is struggling big time?

Yes we will be better, but Florida's ceiling is just a tad [just a slight understatement] higher than ours at this point. As in possible national title contenders.

If we were better right now, that might help us land him.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

If it's not done yet it is not done.

How many athletes do what big brother tells them to do?

I think the fact that a 3/4 is exactly what we are lacking bodes well for URI here.

( ok we could use a 5 too :shock: )
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

I agree Rambone 78 and would like to add that I can't help but think that AM could be the driving force or the glue that pulls this team together in the future. From currently stumbling to the finish line to outgunning opponents. Rhody is still trying to find it's identity. Each game is full if dramatic ups and downs. AM could very well be the type of player that just makes things click for the team and he will make other players around him better. Not to mention an added size and depth.

Let's be real. Most if not everyone would be excited to have him and it would leave the door open for top tier recruits in the future, to come to URI over the next few years.

It's just the way I feel about this whole situation. It's us or Florida, the swamp. I would like to think we have a legit shot at some talent that just happened to fall in our lap at the right time instead of him going to Florida maybe getting some minutes, he comes here and becomes a wrecking ball in the A-10.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I thought Terrell was coming here for sure, so I'm not getting my hopes up again.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

hrstrat57 wrote:If it's not done yet it is not done.

How many athletes do what big brother tells them to do?

I think the fact that a 3/4 is exactly what we are lacking bodes well for URI here.

( ok we could use a 5 too :shock: )

A 1and 2 wouldn't hurt, either...
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Surprised we don't have more inside info on this yet.
0 x
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

For what it's worth.... I heard from a source close to PC today and he stated It is between URI and PC....
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I stand by my previous papa murph statement. We should cut our losses and stop having this fantasy that the youngest Murphy might consider us also. Stop leaving tickets for them. Stop wasting our time.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote:I stand by my previous papa murph statement. We should cut our losses and stop having this fantasy that the youngest Murphy might consider us also. Stop leaving tickets for them. Stop wasting our time.
I find it humorous when PC fans come on this board and pretend their a malcontent URI fan. You would think these guys have something better to do with their time.
0 x