'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

'11 RI F Alex Murphy (Florida Transfer)

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

hello fellow ram fans,

Just wanted to pass along a couple tidbits of information, (new to the website format so maybe atp you can give me an idea of how to open up multiple threads).

anyways, I'm a resident of south kingstown and a friend of the murphys. grew up playing ball with eric and alex in sweet allen farm. the word is that alex is looking into possibly moving on from duke with the parker kid coming in next year. his dad puts alot of pressure on him and i really think that if he moves it would be to somewhere like a florida, where he could feel comfortable; or a school with more prestige then rhody. love to have him but if he does leave its just not feaseable for uri. the family wants to be the next version of the plumlees or the zellers. and thats not happening at uri in their minds.

so the silver lining?

rhodys biggest weakness going foward is a knockdown shooter, we may have a stop gap for the 2014-2015 season. following xavier munfords departure next season. rhody shall be desperately in need of a formidable shooting guard. with the enticing lineup of ec at point hassan at the 3 and a mixture of biruta onyekaba aaman and hare at the four and five spots, uri has the potential to do big things. but any intelligent bball mind would recognize that they need a shooter ala lee humphrey in florida.

ive heard from a very trusted source that louisville's mike marra from smithfield is looking into the possibility of transfering for his final season. hes fallen out of favor with pitino, has been assured by the ncaa that he will be given a waiver for another year of eligibility and also has the possibility of a grad student option year.

Hasnt performed up to expectations at louisville considering that pitino called him one of the greatest shooters hes ever seen. i can attest though. hes a punk and def a guy you would love to hate, but playing him in aau ball, he could shoot the hell out of it. jimmy baronesque.

idk if hes hurleys type of guy; cuz hes certainly had problems. but hes saying he wants to find a place close to home where he can get starters minutes.

personally i'd rather roll with dez williams as a senior in 2014-15. better size, better athleticism. What do you guys think?
0 x
rhodyrob
Michael Andersen

Re: alex murphy

Unread post by rhodyrob »

I have been wondering about Marra. Caddy do you have any idea on the health of his knees? I believe this was the reason he has missed the last couple of seasons. Are the knees able to do a Hurley practice and move on defense? He can fire it up and that is what we need. What kind of size is he?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Pitino made Marra "Honorary Coach" for their last game, and allowee him to call timeouts.
Doesn't sound like someone on the "outs".
Plus, Marra is done as a player.
Murphy's father is at our games a lot. Just seeing him in the breif time he plays at Duke,
you can see he has talent.
Hurley has said he'd take a transfer if he's an impact player.
A local kid, Murphy would get more attention here than in his whole time at Duke,
where it looks like he'll never see playing time.
Williams hasn't had a great season at CCRI.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Ii would definitely take a kid like Murphy over Williams. 6'8" 220
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Only problem is, he'd have to sit out a year, and Williams can play right away.
He'd be a player worth waiting for, I'd say.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I grew up and played ball with marra since i was 9. Word around town is that his basketball career is done. Trying to be a college basketball coach. No aspirations to keep playing
0 x
GO RAMS
SlyWilliamsCaddy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by SlyWilliamsCaddy »

rod, in regards to alex. no disrespect to dez, but were talking about two completely diff types of players here. although i would gladly welcome williams with open arms on next yrs team, murphy is an otherworldly talent in comparison. we still have two available scholarships and could afford to take them both. alex redshirted his freshman yr and would still have 3 seasons of eligibility. dez looks to be a competent scorer and a capable player in the future a-10. with that being said alex murphy would dominate in an a10 landscape with only one or two power teams (VCU). that type of size, athleticism and ability to stretch the floor would be a matchup nightmare. he could be the golden boy of rhode island sports, not to a level of ernie d love, but he would certainly entice alot of rhode islanders to come check out the local kid playing for the local team.

in regards to marra. his body has essentially failed him these last 3 yrs but i will stick by my source in saying that he has looked into the possibility of getting one more season of eligibility with the ncaa board. uri would be a fit. give him one more year to sit out and get healthy and hopefully drain some treys from the cvs logo.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

SWC, I'm not arguing on the talent levels of Murphy vs. Williams.
I just wonder how realistic it is that, would he want to transfer, it would be to URI.
He was rated as high as number 15 coming to Duke.
I'm sure a bunch of schools would be lining up to grab him.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hey, SWC. How good of a prospect is the youngest Murphy kid? I believe he's in 8th grade now and is already 6'6" or something like that?
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Marra is all done due to his knee problems. Even if he were healthy I would not take him. Despite having a great reputation as a shooter look at his stats--he shot about 25% on his 3 pointers.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Murphy has been at Duke for two years. If he transfers and sits out a year that only gives him two more years of eligibility unless he's granted another year. Even still I'd love to see him at URI. He was projected to be a starter this year and didnt play much and has been stated he's been recruited over.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I think there's a slight chance he could come here.

For one reason and one reason only.

His name is Bobby Hurley. The Duke connection.

Othewise, no chance in hell.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

rambone 78 wrote:I think there's a slight chance he could come here.

For one reason and one reason only.

His name is Bobby Hurley. The Duke connection.

Othewise, no chance in hell.

I like your thinking, just going off that and Dan Hurley's willingness to take on transfers I believe this is a possibility. Were all being awfully presumptuous but just looking at Murphy's stats he looks like a sure fire transfer candidate.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

He's like Fredo......he was passed over....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

The youngest Murphy scored 56 in a game last week...
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

from Bill Reynold's in tiday's Projo:
"Kudos to old friend and one time Friar star Jim Larranaga, the Coach of the Year inthe ACC and to South Kingstonwn's Eric Murphy, recently names 1st Team All SEC and being talked about at an NBA Draft Candidate."
With the A10 losing the Charlotte, Dayton, Xavier, St Louis, Butler and others this does not bode well for an Alex Murphy to consider URI. The improvement of Eric Murphy, especially this year, will make a lot of Coaches (including Coach K) think about the potential that an Alex Murphy might possess.
Good for the family.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Leave it to Bunky to take a slap at URI.
Listen, we've had two McDonald's AAs transfer to URI.
We had a guy transfer from Duke years ago.
His name was Don Blackman, and you might know him as Abu Bakr.
You transfer for the coach, not the conference.
Murphy could be a big fish in a small pond at URI, instead of an invisible fish in a big ocean
at Duke.
As I've pointed out before, his father goes to a lot of our games, so he sees the big
picture Hurley is painting.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Good to see people thinking guys like the Murphy's could be candidates for going to URI.
I remember when many posters said tht guys like that would never consider URI over the draw of the ACC and other Big Basketball Conference Schools - often citing why would they ever consider URI.

I think URI unfortunately becomes a lesser draw for these players with the loss of the elite programs of the A10 - but who knows. Zeke Marshall was a start in HS and chose Akron and today he plays again for the Conf Championship against our URI Friend Jimi Christian.

I think Murphy could go to URI and I think he should - but that has certainly not been the temperment of this Board for a long time.

If Hurley can change that and land a Murphy kid then that will be unreal.

If you can get EC Mathews to come to URI then why wouldn't an Alex Murphy be happy here too.

As I said before, I sat by Jay Murphy and his 8th grade son at the snow out game. If they come out for that then who knows.

Alex would be an unbelieveable catch for URI.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I want to know more about the 8th grader. Someone told me he is more likely to stay close to home than his brothers. How big is he now and what is his game like? Are any schools looking at him yet?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

8th grader. Sheez, I could be dead by the time he's of
college age.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

rodfromcranston wrote:8th grader. Sheez, I could be dead by the time he's of
college age.
Hate to say it, but at our age we could be dead before next season begins ....
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

college age.
I think last I heard he was already around 6"5" and that was about a year ago.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I believe Murphy and/or the family announced a couple weeks ago that he would be spending his freshman year at the Prout School, so he should be easy to spot locally if that holds up.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Billyboy78 wrote:
college age.
I think last I heard he was already around 6"5" and that was about a year ago.
Please make sure you leave a good chunk of change to Men's Basketball if that does indeed happen. Thanks!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Alex went to Prout for a year also, then switched to St Marks for the rest of his HS career. Now that Prout is D2 it may provide a better challenge for the kid, at least for one year.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

His name is Tomas, and he's regarded as the best player in the country in his class, and his first college letter he received was from Indiana.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I don't think Jay Murphy has any intention of letting his son come here to play.......the boys were all close to the Baron family with the kids being friends and they were at many games.....Hurley would have to have the program make a meteoric rise to be in the conversation.
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Tomas Murphy will graduate from high school in 2017. An honest question here -- how many people on this board think Dan Hurley will still be coaching at URI?
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

3wisemen wrote:Tomas Murphy will graduate from high school in 2017. An honest question here -- how many people on this board think Dan Hurley will still be coaching at URI?
NOT IN THIS THREAD TOO
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

S.O.S.! It just doesn't end.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

This is what everyone was saying about Erik Murphy three years ago. He's getting buried at a factory school! They are recruiting over him! What a bad decision! Now, he is 1st team all-SEC on a FF caliber team on his way to the NBA. This is how it used to happen when people could wait more than a minute before proclaiming a decision good or bad. College hoops is a funny world but I would have a hard time believing Alex M. is going to give up a Duke degree, being coached by Coach K, and a year of eligibility just so he can light up the scoreboard in a lower conference. That being said, nothing surprises me in college hoops anymore.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

There was an article in today's ProJo on the Murphys and Jay said Alex loves it at Duke.
0 x
Ram Stampede!!!
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Ram Stampede!!! »

9 months later he leaves Duke....what now? ProJo mentions he would most likely be contacted by PC and URI. But PC has no scholarships. I am sure there are a lot of teams that would love to land this kid but really, where is this guy going next?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Gonebarongone wrote:This is what everyone was saying about Erik Murphy three years ago. He's getting buried at a factory school! They are recruiting over him! What a bad decision! Now, he is 1st team all-SEC on a FF caliber team on his way to the NBA. This is how it used to happen when people could wait more than a minute before proclaiming a decision good or bad. College hoops is a funny world but I would have a hard time believing Alex M. is going to give up a Duke degree, being coached by Coach K, and a year of eligibility just so he can light up the scoreboard in a lower conference. That being said, nothing surprises me in college hoops anymore.
oops
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Tomas is far from the #1 player in his class; but he will deff be a mcds AA.
Alex is not going to end up at uri. That's not a bad thing IMHO.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

How do you know that Sean?
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Where will he end up Sean?
He's home for Christmas break, so I would assume this would be the time he would talk to Hurley and Cooley.
0 x
bressler3south
Carlton Owens

Unread post by bressler3south »

The only Murphys playing for URI in the foreseeable future are the:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-64CaD8GXw&safe=active
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Murphy was at URI today, according to a friend of mine.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Which Murphy? Preston, Tomas, Jay or Alex?
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Alex.

Preston too, I would bet. I won't speculate on Tomas or Jay.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Was it just to stop by and say hi or a real meeting about URI being an possible destination?
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

My friend saw him with a strength coach and Luke Murray. I have no idea the context.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting, keep the inside info coming!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Well, Sean says there is no way he's coming here, so....
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hurley and Cooley at Prout tonight. Alex here as well. Coach Carr also.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

What's the dynamic at the game, everybody sitting together or separate?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dan and Cooley were talking all game. Alex was in the stands near his folks. Saw Bunky as well. Also Ken Bell was there. Pretty good atmosphere for a Prout game.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Interesting, thanks for the report.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hopefully they are comparing notes on recruits, saying I'll take that one, you can have this one, etc.... :P

I am sure they both would like nothing more than to both be NCAA tourney participants in the near future. Last week's game is hopefully the start of good things to come concerning this rivalry.
0 x