Victor Bermudez '13 JC (Verbal to Texas State)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Victor Bermudez '13 JC (Verbal to Texas State)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

He's a 6'3" SG playing JC in Wyoming. Looks like we've offered.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/footballrecruit ... dez-143827
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Victor Bermudez '13 JC

Unread post by BFC »

14.1 ppg, 43.7 FG%, 46.4 3FG%, 70.4 FT%, 4.7 rpg, 2.4 apg

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2012 ... rmudezjc7u
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Rather have Williams. This guy had nobody recruiting him out of high school.
He's from Las Vegas. Makes no sense. 7.7 PPG last year?

Victor Bermudez 6-3 shooting guard
University Park Academy Prep Houston Texas
Years of eligibility: years

Recruiting Notes: Bermudez is another interesting case. He played his senior year of basketball in 2009-10 with Chris McCall at Cheyenne high school in Nevada. He did not get a lot of D-1 interest so he went to a prep school in Houston Texas, with a fellow Cheyenne teammate. Bermudez has finished at U. Park Academy and is d-1 eligible. Since October he has telling people and posting on Twitter that he intends on playing D-1 ball at Montana State with McCall and Davion Pearson.

Player Summary: Bermudez is a very athletic smooth player who is a very good shooter especially in transition game. He can pull up on the run and hit the three point or mid range shot on a dime, or take it to the whole. Scouts love his length and size and he is projected to be a very good defender at the D-1 level.
2011-2012: Victor saw action in all 32 games for the Generals, starting 14 contests. Victor averaged 7.7 points per game for the Generals while shooting 42% from the field and 40% from beyond the arc. Hitting 49 three-point shots on the year, Victor is the leading shooter returner to the Generals. Victor averaged 2.9 rebounds per game, and dished out 1.47 assists per contest. Victor scored a season high 15 points against Dawson College. High School: Bermudez at University Park Academy Prep in Houston. At University Park Academy, Victor averaged 15 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists per game. During his high school playing days at Cheyenne High School in Las Vegas, Bermudez showed his sharp shooting ability by raining in 50% from the field, 88% from the line, and an impressive 48% from beyond the arc while averaging 9 points per game.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Shooting, Rod. Shooting. He's at 46.4 percent from 3? That's outstanding. And considering URI is at 32.8 percent and tied for 228th in the nation, I would say they need it badly.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

So? Who the hell is he playing against? Williams is a 6'6" guard ,who can do it all.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rodfromcranston wrote:So? Who the hell is he playing against? Williams is a 6'6" guard ,who can do it all.
46 percent from 3 is a pretty decent mark even if you're in the Yi Jianlian Chair Invitational. For comparison's sake, Munford shot 37 percent, and it looks like Williams shot 39 percent last year at CCRI. Jimmy Baron's two best years were 45 and 47 percent. I doubt he would hit at THAT high of a rate - you expect a little bit of drop off at the very least from juco to D1 - but if his role is just "stand in corner and shoot 3s," then NBA guys like Bruce Bowen have shown that it can be an easily repeatable skill if you have a certain base level of talent.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

rodfromcranston wrote:So? Who the hell is he playing against? Williams is a 6'6" guard ,who can do it all.
The scouting report also says he projects as a good defender. Especially at that end of the floor, I'd much rather see 6-3 and 6-3 in the backcourt next season than 5-10 and 5-10.
And Williams isn't playing against the iron either, Rod. CCRI is an NJCAA Division II school.
Bottom line, nobody has banged the drum harder on Hurley's behalf on this board than you. Now you're going to turn around and imply URI is offering a bum who can't play?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm going to go out on the limb and say this is as bogus as us recruiting Hallice Cooke, and the reports that show us involved with
John Severe. There have been several other people mentied here, who we were never remotely involved with.
Besides, the information on Twitter came from out friend, 12345, who has been 99% wrong on recruiting.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Haha it's funny that this came from 12345.

In general though I'd be fine with this signing, I'll leave it up to people who know a helluva lot more than me about basketball (ie Hurleys/Preston/Carr) to determine whether this kid or Williams would be better. I like Williams because of his size, but from a raw numbers perspective Bermudez seems to be a better shooter. And there's no denying, we need more shooters on this team.

As others have mentioned, level of competition isn't all that important with respect to 3PT%, still the same distance away and the hoop is still 10ft high...
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

sf2010 wrote:Haha it's funny that this came from 12345.
It came from Rivals.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

And the stats are legit. He's 15th in NJCAA Division I in 3-point shooting.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Rivals is so full of shit, it isn't funny. I cancelled my subscription, because
Alex Kline doesn't know anything.
They had us involved with two players, that we weren't remotely interested in.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Alex Davis?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Bos8 wrote:Alex Davis?
heh, It's weird that when I was trying to think of JC transfers, he immediately popped into my mind. Maybe I'm mistaken, but Baron didn't seem to ever use many of them. Darrell Harris was a juco transfer, right? And that very, very large (meaning round) center as well.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Rivals is so full of shit, it isn't funny. I cancelled my subscription, because
Alex Kline doesn't know anything.
They had us involved with two players, Dan told me he wasn't remotely intersted in.
Good thing DH is talking about specific recruits to fans/boosters. The NCAA loves that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Go take a good one!
It's a private conversation. Got it?
I've never know a coach NOT to talk about specific recruits
to people.
Beside, READ THE POST! I said two guys he WASN"T recruiting.
Stalker.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Go take a good one!
It's a private conversation. Got it?
I've never know a coach NOT to talk about specific recruits
to people.
Beside, READ THE POST! I said two guys he WASN"T recruiting.
Stalker.
Oh...that's how it works? Private conversations don't count....THAT YOU POST ON A MESSAGE BOARD! Maybe you should keep them private while he makes you grilled cheese and chips for your late night talks.

And, prospects are prospects. Don't talk about them. That would be an excuse anyone could use for a guy that doesn't sign a NLI.

Either you or DH is a dope for talking about it. Maybe both.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey Stalker,
Jerry D used to go on Cordischi's show and take
questions on specific recruits he was looking at.
Who's the dope?
I didn't mention any names, so why don't you report me.
Guess you've never been around AAU games, where coaches are yaking all the time about who they're looking at and
which player has this or that going for him?
I've sat with plenty of coaches at these, and there's no big secrets.
Sorry you're just one of those who knows everything, but knows nothing in reality.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm working on a theory...

Rod and GBG are actually the same person going back and forth for our amusement. Anybody ever seen the two of them in the same place?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I love it. This guy follows me around the board, no end.
Watch him say he knows Brittany Griner is a woman,
because it was on a gamecast.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:I love it. This guy follows me around the board, no end.
Watch him say he knows Brittany Griner is a woman,
because it was on a gamecast.
You know what. Just keep on doing what you do, rod. It's like talking to a three year old. I read the recruiting board every day and maybe this is my first post. The reason I posted is that coaches aren't allowed to talk about prospects. Period. So, enjoy your private sessions with DH. Just don't post it. It's probably pie in the sky to think you would know better. The guy in charge of the program making a ton of dough? That's another story.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Find that rule. I just cited you a very pubic instance, and you just kite over it!
For years, I've gotten acurate news from
people around this and other programs.
Do you think it's because nobody talks about anything?
I forgot, you know more than anyone else.
You know the Unknown Soldier.
Talking to you is like talking to a fire hydrant.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Hey Stalker,
Jerry D used to go on Cordischi's show and take
questions on specific recruits he was looking at.
Who's the dope?
I didn't mention any names, so why don't you report me.
Guess you've never been around AAU games, where coaches are yaking all the time about who they're looking at and
which player has this or that going for him?
I've sat with plenty of coaches at these, and there's no big secrets.
Sorry you're just one of those who knows everything, but knows nothing in reality.
I guess everything you see must be within the rules. Dope. And, the NCAA rule book hasn't grown by 100x since Jerry D was around. Jerry D? Are you for real?

It took one millisecond to find a blurb from an article:

Because of NCAA rules, Kennedy can’t talk about specific players in recruiting, but he said that it’s hard not to notice that TCU’s presence in the Big 12 has helped them. However, he also said A&M’s move to the SEC has helped him as well.

Kelvin Sampson is probably never getting a college head job again because of stupid rules. Nobody said it was a good rule. Or that no one breaks it. You just might want to think about BROADCASTING IT ON A MESSAGE BOARD.

You were probably like the guy in Goodfellas that bought all of the showy stuff after the Lufthansa heist. Haha.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This from a Yahoo article:
"If you don't think that coaches are talking with friends, colleagues, former coworkers and others about guys they're recruiting, you're kidding yourself"
"The NCAA doesn't allow coaches to talk about specific players before they've signed letters of intent. If it doesn't sound like much of a big deal, that's because in a lot of ways it really isn't. This stuff happens all the time."
Then again, you don't deal in the real world, do you? Got it, clown?
Kelvin Sampson got fired for multiple violations of contact WITH RECRUITS. Got the difference? DUH?
Nice ethnic slur, too. What has Goodfellas got to do with recruiting?
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I think he can say were not involved with someone, that's not breaking rules. He can't say we're recruit Joe Smith and we're watching him and offered and doing x, y, and z with him.

Also why both of you guys quit egging each other on and just ignore each other, you're acting like little kids rather than the grown men (or women if that is the case) you are.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, seriously. You guys are ridiculous.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Absolutely, but it makes for more views.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:This from a Yahoo article:
"If you don't think that coaches are talking with friends, colleagues, former coworkers and others about guys they're recruiting, you're kidding yourself"
"The NCAA doesn't allow coaches to talk about specific players before they've signed letters of intent. If it doesn't sound like much of a big deal, that's because in a lot of ways it really isn't. This stuff happens all the time."
Then again, you don't deal in the real world, do you? Got it, clown?
Kelvin Sampson got fired for multiple violations of contact WITH RECRUITS. Got the difference? DUH?
Nice ethnic slur, too. What has Goodfellas got to do with recruiting?
Oh...so it is a rule? I guess, along with you being the great arbiter of message boards, you know know which are rules and which the NCAA doesn't care about. Got it. Have you seen the last 20 years of the NCAA? They LOVE to get into people's business about stupid stuff.

Maybe you should keep on broadcasting. We'll get a coach who can keep a halftime lead sooner than later.

What ethnic slur? The Goodfellas reference has to do with someone who can't keep his mouth shut.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

You've been roundly trashed by everyone on this board for your hard on against Hurley and Munford.
You are clearly not a URI fan, and you clearly know little about basketball, except what you gleen
from gamecast and some statistics.
Everyone has your number from post one to now.
You seem like a jealous petulent child, because someone actually talks to real people.
You snottily mention it in every post.
Grow up, and stop actling like my four year old granddaughter "I'm gonna tell on my sister!"
Pathetic!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ATPTourFan wrote:Yeah, seriously. You guys are ridiculous.
Fair enough. Didn't think it was a crazy point to make on a recruiting board. Oh well.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Hey GBG, I heard Rod's posting some really pro-Hurley stuff in the Technical Support forum, go get him.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rod can be opinionated and blunt to the point of rudeness at times.....and GBG seems to enjoy pushing his buttons and following him around to instigate him.....maybe a truce should be declared....or marshal law....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Geez, it's like having my ex-wife following me around, nagging at me all the time.
How about if I just declare irreconcileable differences?
Oh, and thanks for the kind words.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Ramulous wrote:Rod can be opinionated and blunt to the point of rudeness at times.....and GBG seems to enjoy pushing his buttons and following him around to instigate him.....maybe a truce should be declared....or marshal law....
I grew up with three brothers and we (still, despite many kids among us) enjoy a good back and forth. It's in my stubborn, Irish DNA, I guess. I don't mind a good, heated battle. Yertle the Turtle just needs to be knocked off the stack every so often. Trying to stay away from imagined stereotypes, so I used Dr. Seuss there instead of Goodfellas. Of course, may people think Yertle was about Hitler. Not me, of course. I would never.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, well this Sicilian, always loves to fight.
It's not stood me in good stead all my life.
In the words of Tom Petty, "I won't back down".
You're just another bully to be squashed.
0 x
Matunuck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Matunuck »

That was entertaining. I side with Rod!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Me too! So does Arthur, my Dogue, Dora, the dopey Neo, my three cats,Chumley, Pacman and Derek, and my two granddaughters.
Not sure about by daughter, though. She's like GBG. Seems I can never do anything right, according to her.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Me too! So does Arthur, my Dogue, Dora, the dopey Neo, my three cats,Chumley, Pacman and Derek, and my two granddaughters.
Not sure about by daughter, though. She's like GBG. Seems I can never do anything right, according to her.
Mark Twain once said, "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect"

Have a great night everyone.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, but they're mostly the four legged type, of majority.
Time for me to go and cook dinner for the two legged variety.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I remember a long-lost poster who would rather be right than in the majority.......
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I remember that guy! He vanished, like Andre Scott did.
Kind of different fellow, but always interesting.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I heard he ran away with the NorwegianGal......
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I heard Lamar introduced him to one of the Kardashian sisters.
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

sf2010 wrote:Haha it's funny that this came from 12345.

In general though I'd be fine with this signing, I'll leave it up to people who know a helluva lot more than me about basketball (ie Hurleys/Preston/Carr) to determine whether this kid or Williams would be better. I like Williams because of his size, but from a raw numbers perspective Bermudez seems to be a better shooter. And there's no denying, we need more shooters on this team.

As others have mentioned, level of competition isn't all that important with respect to 3PT%, still the same distance away and the hoop is still 10ft high...
I wonder if that's the combination he has on his luggage.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

SGreenwell wrote:
Bos8 wrote:Alex Davis?
heh, It's weird that when I was trying to think of JC transfers, he immediately popped into my mind. Maybe I'm mistaken, but Baron didn't seem to ever use many of them. Darrell Harris was a juco transfer, right? And that very, very large (meaning round) center as well.
Jason Francis
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Jason was a BIG dude. My son and I met him; seemed like a nice kid. Should have been right tackle on the football team.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

Loved Jay Francis as a person. He did try out for DE for the pats unsuccessfully after graduating.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

URI96 wins for the Spaceballs reference.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Rhody Guy wrote:Loved Jay Francis as a person. He did try out for DE for the pats unsuccessfully after graduating.
If he wanted to play for the Pats, he should have gone to Rutgers.
0 x