A-10 power rankings Feb. 18

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
A10-ISL
Jim Eitner

A-10 power rankings Feb. 18

Unread post by A10-ISL »

Hi Rhody fans,

Congratulations on the big week. I enjoy watching your team play and wanted to move them even higher than I did, but SBU's head-to-head win got in the way. Nevertheless, the Rams comment is all positive.

Here's my look around the league: http://www.indysportslegends.com/2013/0 ... -new-no-1/

If you're interested, we do these rankings every week. I appreciate you taking a look at an out-of-market source. Send me feedback on Twitter @chrisgoff_ISL if you'd like.

Chris Goff
Butler beat writer, IndySportsLegends.com
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Re: A-10 power rankings Feb. 18

Unread post by CTRamfan »

There is a link on that page to "checking in with the coaches". Read Hurley's comments on "changing the culture". If he was quoted correctly, it looks like he is still dealing with some problems.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

That's an older post. From what I've heard, and I think Rod could back this up, things are getting better in that regard. It's not going to happen overnight.

The legacy of one Jim Baron is going to take a while to erase. Especially when it concerns the fan base.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I love this quote from Hurley:
“This is never happening to me again,” Hurley said. “It just isn’t. I know it’s coming. I see young players developing. I see real talent coming in that we’ve evaluated that are going to be game changers. You’ve got to excuse me if I don’t handle losing great. I’m just not used to it at this level, but this will never happen again.”

Think of URI under Baron as an episode of Hoarders. It takes a while to remove all the trash and start over.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Those Dayton and Duquesne wins were much needed for everyone, to say the least. Sanity savers!

I agree regarding the younger players, which is basically everyone who is returning (except for Munford, although an entire season of D1 basketball is an adjustment, too). Progress is rarely without bumps and setbacks, but the trend line is moving in the right direction.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am so pumped for next yr !!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rodfromcranston wrote:I love this quote from Hurley:
“This is never happening to me again,” Hurley said. “It just isn’t. I know it’s coming. I see young players developing. I see real talent coming in that we’ve evaluated that are going to be game changers. You’ve got to excuse me if I don’t handle losing great. I’m just not used to it at this level, but this will never happen again.”

Think of URI under Baron as an episode of Hoarders. It takes a while to remove all the trash and start over.
Not to beat a dead horse, but contrast that with what the previous coach would be saying right now. "We almost won 7 other games. Not enough seniors. It's all part of the process." Meanwhile, he'd be sleeping easy.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know what you're saying, but the other coach wouldn't be saying that. He'd be saying we almost won a game. We would not have won 8 games with him coaching, nowhere near that, and we would have been blown out of the ones we were close to winning.

To say this year would have been an utter disaster, would be understating the case. On top of that, as Rod said, we would have had no chance to recover, with the program on academic probation for who knows how long.

Baron knew he was a goner. He just didn't think it would happen as soon as it did. I'm sure he figured that contract would keep URI from canning him for at least another year or two.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I gurantee we will dance before Canisius does and we are in a much tougher league

Cant wait !!
0 x