Havent seen this explicitly posted...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Havent seen this explicitly posted...

Unread post by Blue Man »

But we officially won more games this year than last!
Safe to say that without this coaching staff we don't even sniff 4 wins. They got this team to play above themselves for sure.

Just plain awesome.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Havent seen this explicitly posted...

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I know, Blue Man. Just think how close we've been to a bunch more wins also.

I think the rest of the A10 knows by now what to expect from a Hurley coached team.

No more easy wins playing URI. No more playing stupid basketball. The culture is surely changing.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

a radio sports report, this AM(630 AM folks)had us breaking a "six game loosing streak", rather then winning two in row.......
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I posted this, last night.

"EIGHT wins! One more than last year.
Next goal....double figures in wins."
I also tweeted it and Jim Carr retweeted it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

section(105) wrote:a radio sports report, this AM(630 AM folks)had us breaking a "six game loosing streak", rather then winning two in row.......
I listen to them in the morning, mostly for traffic and weather and frankly, I'm kind of surprised they even knew there was a game. To paraphrase Bill Parcels, the folks there don't know if the ball is filled with air or feathers.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

With a few good bounces, we'd have a few more wins. But this season is not about wins and losses. It's about progress, and we're seeing it.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True. Even with a few more wins and a .500 record, this team wasn't going anywhere post season wise.

Maybe they could have stolen a game in NY, but no way could they win the thing.

Next year, different story.

My expectations for this team will be a little higher. Of course, we don't know yet who the 2 new recruits will be, but with what we'll have, I think we should do no worse than the semis of the conference tourney, and a NIT berth.

Maybe better than that.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

A win over the Bonnies and URI would have been in a position to go to Barclays.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think it is of psychological importance to have won more games than last season, even it were to be just one game (hoping however for a few more). It shows that the program bottomed out last year and is improving and moving forward. Having less than 20 losses would be another measurable benchmark.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lets get to double figs in wins !!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

(In reference to the NIT berth)
I am not calling the NIT success next year. Love the progress. Love the fight. Love the attention to detail, and unwillingness to concede anything. No way I call the NIT a success next year.

Cant imagine guys not progressing, and the team really rounding into form with everyone eligible to play and go to Europe.

Very interested in the Non conf schedule for next year.

Can't break into the top 4-5? (of the A10)
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The underclassmen playing this year will (except for XM) be next year's bench players. What is happening in practice is more important than what is happening in games. To the extent that this is true, W-L record is meaningless.

DH took the hit this year by dumping non-seniors who had no future and not cluttering his line-up with ballast even if it meant a short bench. If we don't win 20+ next season, I will be disappointed. The ineligible transfers and the new recruits are terrific.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Anything LESS than the NIT next year, would be a major disappointment.

I still think we will be a bubble NCAA team next year. If everything comes together perfectly, maybe we make it. Won't be easy.

The improvement is going to be big. How big, will determine our fortunes.

The year after next, NCAA's for sure. Especially if we are competing in a watered down A10, minus some of our top teams. There may be less bids available, but we should be getting one.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm all for high expectations, and I know the coach loves them. But the teams that are already good in the conference? They're bringing in quality players, too. Even if everyone returns for URI, there are still 2 spots to be filled, quality there TBD (even though 11 players practically sounds like a luxury at this point).

The overall record will depend on the OOC schedule. Depending on the quality of those opponents, they could have a losing or .500 record OOC and still have that be a good thing if it prepares them for conference play. Way too early and way too many unknowns for me to decide what would be considered a failure or success.

In comparing the first two seasons at Wagner to here... Hurley was able to turn around Wagner pretty quickly, helped in part by a weaker bottom of the conference. What made that easier to predict, though, was that the roster was more consistent. He started the 3 freshmen he brought in during that first year, and their progress through that season was pretty clear to see. Here, it's a different approach. It's still good, but it's a little more to get figured out.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Lets set the bar real high !!!
0 x