A-10 Power Rankings, with comments from Dan Hurley

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
A10-ISL
Jim Eitner

A-10 Power Rankings, with comments from Dan Hurley

Unread post by A10-ISL »

My name's Chris Goff, and I cover Butler for IndySportsLegends.com.

I also write a weekly Atlantic 10 Power Rankings column. For this week's version, I asked every head coach in the league a burning question about his team.

If you're interested, you can take a look here: http://www.indysportslegends.com/2013/0 ... onference/
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: A-10 Power Rankings, with comments from Dan Hurley

Unread post by reef »

Good stuff Chris
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hurley's comments just tell us what things were like under Baron. Pathetic.

Starting next year, he will have the kids who WANT to practice and play hard for him and the program.
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

WOW. that says a lot.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Like I've said before, imagine what things would have been like if JB had stayed. Collecting his checks while completely destroying the program, thanking Bob C. all the while.

Methinks the folks at Canisius will want to run him out of town sooner rather than later. That's even with that program as downtrodden as it's been.

Well, he's their problem now. If anybody still feels sorry for him, I feel sorry for them.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

It's clear that Baron didn't have a disciplined program whatsoever, and the high character guys throughout the years held it together. I think the fabric of the program started to fray once Keith and Lamonte left, and it completely disintegrated when Martell, James, and Marquis left. Those were the last of the Skerry recruits who had any desire and work ethic.

I mean just consider the type of guys who were left when Baron got fired, even in his last year here. Kids with attitude problems, disciplinary issues, the whole thing. Not to mention devoid of talent.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Nice piece, Chris!
Hurley's private comments are even more scathing than what
his public ones are.
Said he never met so many delusional people in his life.
If people only knew how bad it really was..........
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Interesting article, I liked it.

Hurley's comments didn't surpise me. We still see some un-disciplines basketball every game. Just look at Nik, he has 4-5 instances every game where he shows a lack of discipline.

Hurley has done a good job beginning to change the culture, which I applaud him for.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Ryan Rowdy
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Ryan Rowdy »

I love his honesty and how blunt he is. I love when a coach says screw being politically correct...this is what's REALLY happening!

Can't help but think those comments are being sent mostly towards Nik.
0 x
What Would Jon Clark Do?
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Imagine what he must be saying to people behind closed doors. If he doesn't get things around here to change then I'm not sure anybody ever will.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I wonder if those comments were referring to administration, returning players, or both?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

His comments were about the previous regime. He values Thorr and Dooley.
The shock at what he found when he dug in here, is still with him, and that pisses him off.
There was a lot more to do from the ground up than he initally thought.
I doubt his comments are aimed at one player. I think he's based in the reality of what he's dealing with.
He knows what he needs to do, and has the fire and will to get it done.
Blunt? Not politically correct? Yes! I love it! Not coach speak, just from the gut responses.
I wonder if Rhode Island and URI in particular, are ready for a local version of Bob Knight?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Ryan Rowdy wrote:
Can't help but think those comments are being sent mostly towards Nik.
I disagree with that, the problems weren't one or two players - the attitude was endemic. All the players that left - Rayvon, Dominique, Blake, and Levan, lacked the work ethic and commitment to be good players under Hurley. The training and support staff (academic support, strength & conditioning, athletic training) was a joke, the backroom facilities (locker room, training room, weight room, Coach's offices) were dilapidated...it was the whole thing. I don't think the new coaching staff really understood how badly it had gotten here when they signed on. That's why he's always talking about transforming the culture and attitude here, because EVERYONE involved had lost focus, not just the players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

This is what happened when you had a very mediocre bench coach, mediocre recruiter, and what have you, that was here WAY too long.

The culture of losing was ingrained in the entire athletic dept, all the way to the top when Carothers was here.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

I'm not surprised at all that that is how Dan feels. I am taken aback a little by his bluntness. I'm not at all offended by it. Its refreshing. It is surprising how straightforward the guy is.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Hurley's candor is NEEDED. For too long, we had a guy who never said anything, except to make excuses for losing, and never blamed himself.

Well, HE was the reason for the losing and all the problems associated with it, no doubt. And the URI administration let him get away with it.

Without Dooley, there wouldn't be a Hurley at URI.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He is building this program up from rock bottom and when we win big it will be all the more sweeter
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Just further proves that Baron's talk of "The Process" was just talk. I'm so glad the Hurleys are here. Their directness is refreshing!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”