Thoughts on an Atlantic Ten Channel App

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Thoughts on an Atlantic Ten Channel App

Unread post by steviep123 »

So, I bought a Roku player and hooked it up last night and started going through what channels are available. One channel I noticed was an ACC Network Channel, which had clips and highlights of ACC related sports. There were other college sports channels. While there are no live games (and other than the MLB, NBA, and NHL, I haven't found a channel yet with live games, and these are subscription - the search continues), what are people's thoughts of an A10 channel? I think it would be a useful idea for the A10 to create one, and eventually have live games on it. These net apps players probably aren't going away, so why not take advantage of streaming? Perhaps URI could come up with something? CBSSports has a channel (which again, doesn't yet show live games), but perhaps one day.

Anyway, I'm wondering what people think. I say, let's jump on it.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: Thoughts on an Atlantic Ten Channel App

Unread post by adam914 »

I do think its a great idea to get the conference more exposure. As you said, these things aren't going away. I've always been disappointed in the digital media offerings of both the conference and URI especially.

The hope of having live games on it unfortunately will likely never happen. With each school having its own local broadcast rights deals, it would be almost impossible for them to get a streaming deal done. The one thing they could work a deal on is streaming the A10 tournament at least, since that is something the conference has broadcast rights for.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It will not be long before you will be able to watch virtually every college game on TV via the computer. Look how things have changed just in the past 2 years.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

ramster wrote:It will not be long before you will be able to watch virtually every college game on TV via the computer. Look how things have changed just in the past 2 years.
It is sort of a joke the A10 hasn't gotten this done yet. Nothing says big time to a 16/17 year old recruit with their tablets, smartphones like links to justin.tv for a bumpy/grainy feed, while the acc.com, espn3, etc stream a million games every night in HD.
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

I think part of the problem is that the A10's current deal is with CBS(mostly CBS Sports Net) and they are behind the times of the ESPN3's as far as online/streaming offerings. Not sure when the deal with CBS is up but live sports is a very hot commodity in the cable TV business(the 'Big East' just got a 23 mil/yr offer from NBC Sports Net). Fox is launching two new networks to compete with ESPN so the number of sports networks are growing and pool of watchable sports content is remaining the same. The A10 has gotten a lot of great pub this year as being a highly competitive/highly entertaining conference from top to bottom. Hopefully they can keep the conference together and get a much bigger TV deal next time around (with some live online viewing options included).
0 x
RhodyNJ
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RhodyNJ »

RhodyNJ wrote:I think part of the problem is that the A10's current deal is with CBS(mostly CBS Sports Net) and they are behind the times of the ESPN3's as far as online/streaming offerings. Not sure when the deal with CBS is up but live sports is a very hot commodity in the cable TV business(the 'Big East' just got a 23 mil/yr offer from NBC Sports Net). Fox is launching two new networks to compete with ESPN so the number of sports networks are growing and pool of watchable sports content is remaining the same. The A10 has gotten a lot of great pub this year as being a highly competitive/highly entertaining conference from top to bottom. Hopefully they can keep the conference together and get a much bigger TV deal next time around (with some live online viewing options included).
I apologize... deal is with CBS/NBC/ESPN through 20/21:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pret ... d-CBS.html

Not sure why we can't get more games on ESPN3, but hopefully something changes in the future.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

OT, but sice this is media related.
ESPN is grinding their Lebron is better than MJ campaign, on a nightly basis.
The Lebron Worshipping Hour leads off every Sports Center, now.
Another god to ESPN is RGlll, who merited his own retrospective on his
long illustrious career, last night.
The reason for this pap? It was his birthday.
Sad how ESPN latches on to certain athletes, to the exclusion of others.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:OT, but sice this is media related.
ESPN is grinding their Lebron is better than MJ campaign, on a nightly basis.
The Lebron Worshipping Hour leads off every Sports Center, now.
Another god to ESPN is RGlll, who merited his own retrospective on his
long illustrious career, last night.
The reason for this pap? It was his birthday.
Sad how ESPN latches on to certain athletes, to the exclusion of others.
I only watch ESPN when it is for an event now. I will say Lebron is putting up quite a stretch. He'll finish his career in the top 4-8 all time. He really is that skilled and is fun to watch. As for Jordan, still #1 in my book. Remember, hand checking was legal in his day. Without that, he would have been 40 per night easy. Guys would just put their hands on him and hold on for dear life. The best.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Agree 100% GBG.
A big part of James' game is being able
to act like a fullback trying to blast over under and through
whoever is guarding him. Usually while carrying the ball.
Never gets called for stiff arming, shouldering, and all his other tricks.
The hand checking MJ got was more like having his shorts and shirt grabbed, and
being pushed in the back, among other things.
I alctually like Kobe's game better than Lebrons. It's more skillled.
A lot of Lebron's FG% in his stretch are just inside dunks and fast break baskets.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Kobe is a more skilled scorer but Lebron's all around game is pretty great to watch evolve. Career 7 assists per game. 8 boards. Maybe he reverts to being just an OK jump shooter but if he keeps up anywhere near the 42% from three he has this year, he will be unguardable.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

So as I was saying about being disappointed in URI digital media offerings...it looks like Cox forgot to renew their domain name and if you try to launch the media player for the game tonight you get taken to a page saying it is expired and up for renewal.

I swear you can't make this stuff up...
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

SERIOUSLY - why does Lebron get 3 steps? They make money off the LBJ hype... like Miami will make it out of the east off the idea alone that they need Miami in every series to maximize exposure and revenue.

How this relates to us.. Kentucky and UNC being bubble teams. Those teams aren't better than the 3-6 of the A10 and there are at least 5 teams that would run those teams off the floor in the A10. I wish there was just fairness for all teams.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:SERIOUSLY - why does Lebron get 3 steps? They make money off the LBJ hype... like Miami will make it out of the east off the idea alone that they need Miami in every series to maximize exposure and revenue.

How this relates to us.. Kentucky and UNC being bubble teams. Those teams aren't better than the 3-6 of the A10 and there are at least 5 teams that would run those teams off the floor in the A10. I wish there was just fairness for all teams.
Five A10 teams will run UNC and Kentucky off the floor? I'm sorry can't agree with you there. Too bad about Noel's injury he was turning into a force defensively.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

LeBron James is a certifiable beast out there though I think this year OKC beats Miami to win it all
0 x
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

adam914 wrote:So as I was saying about being disappointed in URI digital media offerings...it looks like Cox forgot to renew their domain name and if you try to launch the media player for the game tonight you get taken to a page saying it is expired and up for renewal.

I swear you can't make this stuff up...
COX SUCKS. A middle schooler could set up a better web site/experience.
0 x