Battle for last place next weekend vs Duquense?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Battle for last place next weekend vs Duquense?

Unread post by RF1 »

URI travels to Pittsburgh to take on Duquense next Saturday. The Dukes presently are winless in A-10 play. A win over URI (one A-10 win) however would give them the tie-breaker and allow them to claim 15th place. If Rhody loses next week, they would be last in the A-10 and very well could finish the season in that same slot.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Battle for last place next weekend vs Duquense?

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's possible. That's our best chance for any win.

However, we play down to the level of our opponent, no matter who it is, so it will be a close game. Close games usually means a loss with this bunch.

Talent or no talent on this team, the Hurleys must be embarassed. I know I would be.

If JB was coaching this group, we might have two wins all year.

The turnaround next year must be huge. Notice I said MUST be.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

URI will win that game !!
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Hope so. I'm not so much disappointed in the results this season because I knew we were going to have struggles, but I never could've guessed the teams that we would've beaten this year and the teams that we would lose to. Should've pulled out a few more with how close we keep the games but it all comes down to learning how to win and this is a MOSTLY young team. Hopefully they can get much better next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

This team on most nights starts three seniors and a junior, so they're not that young.
Inexperienced is more like it.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Cannot wait for this game!!!!

Relocated to Pittsburgh in August, and I'm thrilled to be able to cheer on my Rams in person for only the 2nd time this year.

I'll be sure to loud and proud to represent all you great fans who will be following it from afar. I'd love to be able to report back on a win!
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

SF201 -- you are hardcore, man. well played.

sf2010 wrote:Cannot wait for this game!!!!

Relocated to Pittsburgh in August, and I'm thrilled to be able to cheer on my Rams in person for only the 2nd time this year.

I'll be sure to loud and proud to represent all you great fans who will be following it from afar. I'd love to be able to report back on a win!
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Your right Rod, some of the upperclassmen I forget about because they haven't developed like an upperclassmen should (i.e. Brooks who still has no touch and no hands) and some have even regressed in my opinion (i.e. Nik) hopefully we can hit the ground running next year with talent and experience, team will look a lot different next year; lets hope the coaching staff can get all the pieces working together quickly.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bred, that Euro trip should gto a long way toward getting all
the newbies on the same page.
Tough job for staff, but that trip really plays into their hands.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stoked about that Euro trip, we will have a head start compared to other squads
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Can we beat Dayton and then Duquesne this week and get back in the race for top 12 to Atlantic city?
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

ramster wrote:Can we beat Dayton and then Duquesne this week and get back in the race for top 12 to Atlantic city?
Would that even do it?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We would have to win at least 4, maybe 5 of our last 7 games.

Not going to happen, sir.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Must beat Dayton and Duquesne this week to get to 3-8.
This puts us ahead of Duquesne,Dayton and Fordham.
Then need Bonnie's, st joes or Richmond t o stumble more as they are all 4-5.
We play at st joe so we can help them falter behind us.
Among remaining games:
Dayton
Duquesne
St joes
Lasalle
Umass
All winnable
Xavier and temple??? Tough ones but who knows
But must beat Dayton at home tomorrow night
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Any talk of Brooklyn next month is pure fantasy. URI, Fordham, and Duquense are pretty much guaranteed not to go. The only real question about the A-10 Tournament is who the fourth team will be (all other teams have at least .500 or better records on the season to date as of 02-12-13).

URI would have to go on an incredible run to finish the season to qualify. Nothing the team has done thus far makes that seem likely or even remotely possible. Furthermore, URI has already lost to many of the bottom tier teams that wins might have been possible against and would lose all tie-breakers if it ever came down to that. If you lose to GW, Richmond, Charlotte, and SBU at home and on the road at Fordham, you have pretty much sealed your fate.

The goal of Brooklyn is dead. A reasonable goal at this point in my view is to beat Duquense avoiding last place and possibly shoot for 14th place (ahead of Duquense and Fordham).

It is sad to think that even Providence College may play at the Barclays Arena before Rhody does. There are rumors that PC will play Kentucky there next year in an OOC game.

Link to A-10 League Standings as of 02-13-13
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... conference
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yup, it's fantasy, a real long shot, but this team does stay in almost all games - not like they get blown out every game. For sure a long shot - no doubt.
But let's look at Dayton at 3-6. They have only won 3 A10 games and all were at home against lowly Fordham, Duquesne and st joes. Should uri beat Dayton at homtomorrow night? Uri will Probably l be favored. If uri beats lowly Duquesne this weekend and we go to 3-8 then next week could get interesting. Long shot? yes, possible? I think so.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote:Yup, it's fantasy, a real long shot, but this team does stay in almost all games - not like they get blown out every game. For sure a long shot - no doubt.
But let's look at Dayton at 3-6. They have only won 3 A10 games and all were at home against lowly Fordham, Duquesne and st joes. Should uri beat Dayton at homtomorrow night? Uri will Probably l be favored. If uri beats lowly Duquesne this weekend and we go to 3-8 then next week could get interesting. Long shot? yes, possible? I think so.

Your scenario would only get URI to 13th place. That is still not enough to get to Brooklyn.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I think that it's possible that we could win the next two games.

After that, I don't see any wins. A couple close games? For sure.

3-13 looks about right. 4-12 would be best case scenario. 13th place at best.

It would take 6 wins to go to NY. Pure fantasy.
Last edited by rambone 78 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Unfortunately, I don't see us winning any more games unless we have a great shooting night. But, I do expect us to play hard and keep each game relatively close until the end.
I don't think some people realize what an achievement that is. Look at our team. As soon as each game starts, we start making adjustments to coverup our many weaknesses. We should have been blown out many times this year.
As bad as some of our opponents may be, they still have forwards and centers playing their rightful positions. They have a bench to add depth, even if the players aren't that good.
For me, the thing I'll take out of this season is that the coaching staff has kept this team working hard, night in and night out, knowing that their chance for success is slim.
Do I care if we win any more games this year? Absolutely not.
Do I think that this year will help next year's team? Absolutely yes.
The returning players are learning more about basketball and winning than they may even realize at this time.
Maybe I'm also drinking the Koolaid, but I see nothing but positives for this program in the future.
We can discuss all the little things we see this year, like who's not boxing out or who's taking bad shots, etc. But let's not overlook what this team is accomplishing. They're creating a foundation for hard work. With better players coming, this will lead to more victories... a lot more.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well said.
Bottom line....WE'RE CRAPPY, BUT SCRAPPY!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well said.
Bottom line....WE'RE CRAPPY, BUT SCRAPPY!
What a great bumper sticker-for this year only.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Let's see, how many returnees are there?

Hare, Powell, TJ, Aaman, and Munford. One senior, 2 juniors, and 2 sophs.

How many newcomers? 8. 4 transfers, 2 freshmen we know of, and 2 more freshmen or transfers.

What a difference a year will make. How many of the holdovers will start? One, maybe 2, tops?

Next year's team won't come close to resembling this year's team.

The 4 transfers + 1, are blowing away this year's team in practice.

Can't wait.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With Duquense's surprise win at Temple last night, this game is once again a showdown for last place. If this Saturday URI were to lose to the Dukes and Fordham falls to Butler at home as expected, there would be a three way tie for last in the A-10 (3 teams at 2-9). Per the tie-breakers, Fordham would get 14th place (by virtue of 2-0 record vs DU and URI), Duquesne would get 15th (1-1 vs URI and DU), and URI would be last at 16th (0-2 vs FU and DU).
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Showdown for last place.

May URI NEVER be involved in something like this, ever again.

Oh, the pressure!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Dukes will be ready to go... hopefully they play UP to the level of their opponents and don't get too excited about playing the lowly Rhody Rams this year. heh heh!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

If we cannot go to Brooklyn, I don't care if we finish 13th, 14th, 15th or 16th....

......16 might be better because we can go worst to first next year!!!
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !