Game #22 - URI vs. St. Bonaventure - In Game Thread

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Game #22 - URI vs. St. Bonaventure - In Game Thread

Unread post by reef »

What a bad loss

I blame it on the snow !!!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

The trip
- Roads were not good but uri parking lot was well plowed. Many cars in the lot for students.
- Power was out in the majority of the area. All traffic lights were out.
- Nice touch to be giving out free URI toques for fans attending. Many put hem on for the game. good timing.
- Bigger crowd than I expected, could have had more students
- Concession workers were in tight supply. Only two concession stands open with one upstairs, one down with huge lines at halftime. Could have recruited students to work them? Not good.
- Jay Murphy and his young son in the house. Maybe his son takes a liking to our team and coaching staff and decides to play for the "home team" one day.
- Good showing by the band
- Why no cheerleaders or dance team?
- I've driven in much worse conditions in the past - was not so bad

The game
- Hare played well. Would like to have seen him get more minutes
- We out rebounded the Bonnie's by 11 and still lost - how weird is that?
- Powell with 6 rebounds was higher than anyone on he Bonnie's team. He was at the right place often
- Munford also rebounded well going very high for some of his 4, but also in the mix to keep several balls alive
- Nik with a bad mishandle of an inbounds pass early in the 2nd letting the ball slip through his hands and eventually stepped OB trying to save it, Hurley did not like and pulled him out.
- Brooks with very limited time. Looks like he is not much in the picture anymore.
- Would like to see Malone take more 3's. He seems to be one of our more consistent players these days and has a nice release.
- Tie game, late and Mike drives the lane and the usual happens. Block, turnover. Would like to see him dish the ball back out to open shooters - which there were. Why can't our coaching staff not change this. All too predictable. He played well though consistently beating their pressure up court.
- Pass of he night was a short one down low to Hare for he dunk - very nice and would love to see more of those
- In the game all night - get the feeling that we just can't close
Last edited by ramster 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Hurley knows what he's dealing with.
His best quote a few weeks ago was
"You can't fix want can't be fixed".
Translation - "We just don't have the players we need
to win."
Talk about passing the buck. You had another late second half lead. Land the freaking plane Saint Daniel. And X shot 14 free throws last night. Can't really tell anything watching on a game tracker but I'll take that any night. 18 points on 11 shots is pretty good.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Hurley knows what he's dealing with.
His best quote a few weeks ago was
"You can't fix want can't be fixed".
Translation - "We just don't have the players we need
to win."
Talk about passing the buck. You had another late second half lead. Land the freaking plane Saint Daniel. And X shot 14 free throws last night. Can't really tell anything watching on a game tracker but I'll take that any night. 18 points on 11 shots is pretty good.
It was a very winnable game last night, Powell driving the lane into the trees was predictable -unfortunately. Malone, Munford or even TJ for an open 3 would be a better option. Why continue to drive inside, in the last minutes of close games? We have seen this movie before. Not Powell's fault anymore since apparently the coaching staff is fine with it. I don't see Powell getting pulled like I see Hare, Nik, Malone, Brooks or TJ when they screw up.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: - We out rebounded the Bonnie's by 11 and still lost - how wired is that?

Not weird when you consider other stats. The rebounding advantage was completely offset by the unusually high number of URI turnovers (18). The margin is so thin with this team that nearly everything must go right for this team to win. Rebounding was probably the only bright spot last night.

Only 7 more games and this nightmare of a season is over. It can't come soon enough.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It's called court awareness. We don't have a PG, and haven't had one in ages, that can see the floor and pass to the open man for 3 instead of putting their head down and driving into the lane.

Hurley knows that. He's probably tried umpteen times to change it, but it is what it is. Good PG's are born, not made.

Mike does some things well, but he's not a true PG. He can't play the 2, and we have no one else to play PG, so that's what we've got, and no more.

No margin for error. It's not fixable this season.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:It's called court awareness. We don't have a PG, and haven't had one in ages, that can see the floor and pass to the open man for 3 instead of putting their head down and driving into the lane.

Hurley knows that. He's probably tried umpteen times to change it, but it is what it is. Good PG's are born, not made.

Mike does some things well, but he's not a true PG. He can't play the 2, and we have no one else to play PG, so that's what we've got, and no more.

No margin for error. It's not fixable this season.
So the head coach and his assistants can't tell Mike to not go in the lane in the last two minutes of a tie game because the odds are that the ball is going to get swatted back in your face? Just like so many other times this season in the final minutes?
I like Mike as a player for URI, he will not give up fighting for his spot next year, and his supporting cast is not the best, just struggle with the strategy that rarely seems yo work in the closing minutes,
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It isn't just the last two minutes of a game.

That doesn't work ANY time for us.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:It isn't just the last two minutes of a game.

Taking the motto IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED, TRY TRY AGAIN to the extreme.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rambone 78 wrote:It isn't just the last two minutes of a game.

Exactly, BUT, the HC needs to pull the kid aside and remind him not to do it because he often does in crunch time. I was not surprised at all unfortunately.

I did not see this all game but then in clutch time here we go again.
Definition of insanity.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Maybe that's part of what Hurley has determined can't be fixed.
7 games left and he's still driving into the trees and getting swallowed up.
Hurley has no options this year, but next year, he'll have two others
to turn to.
Whoever doesn't learn, sits.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Let me guess, the kids were too tired in a 63 possession game to not get outscored in the 2nd half. By 12. At home. Against a team like St. Bonnie's.

I realize the team isn't the team that will be out there next year. Next year will have way more talent. But, you know what kills NCAA bids? Getting run over in the second half in games that you must win. I can't comment specifically about this game because I couldn't watch it but can if you guys aren't worried about halftime adjustments (or lack thereof) and being able to bring a win home with coaching, I don't know what to tell you. Lots of good coaches in this league. A team like Butler finally having the talent advantage take over is one thing. St. B is not 12 points better than URI at home over 20 minutes.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

If you have an erection that lasts over 4 hours, please see a doctor.
Yours for Hurley has been much longer than four hours.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:If you have an erection that lasts over 4 hours, please see a doctor.
Yours for Hurley has been much longer than four hours.
The irony is too much. You think he walks on water. The next critical take you have of him will be the first. Open your eyes.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Good article. Sorry it had to come at our expense, but impressive job by the Bonnies to deal with the circumstances and come out on top.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Gonebarongone wrote:Let me guess, the kids were too tired in a 63 possession game to not get outscored in the 2nd half. By 12. At home. Against a team like St. Bonnie's.

I realize the team isn't the team that will be out there next year. Next year will have way more talent. But, you know what kills NCAA bids? Getting run over in the second half in games that you must win. I can't comment specifically about this game because I couldn't watch it but can if you guys aren't worried about halftime adjustments (or lack thereof) and being able to bring a win home with coaching, I don't know what to tell you. Lots of good coaches in this league. A team like Butler finally having the talent advantage take over is one thing. St. B is not 12 points better than URI at home over 20 minutes.
Gee, I don't know. Maybe it was a senior guard like Eric Mosley making some huge plays down the stretch? The guy only went 5-for-9 from 3-point range in the second half. Maybe he's just better than Mike Powell.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a nice article, SBU really came through despite all that adversity
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Foul shots.... Turnovers.... Absolute killers. I like what we have seen from coach H early but maybe he needs an offseason to get better also. Breath of fresh air since Baron no doubt, but I wouldn't say that Hurley is done growing. HOPEFUL he hits his stride at the same time as the talent level. Lots to look forward to. I think for some of us, in a season where we lose most games by a possession- It is frustrating to not get over that hump and win games against teams that we should beat.
0 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Isn't it always like that in Olean? They are probably use to it by now.
0 x