Poll: How have the Rams met your pre-season expectations?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

With the season more than two thirds complete, how have the Rams met your pre-season expectations?

Exceeded expectations
14%
Met expectations
58%
Below expectations
29%

Total votes: 59

Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Poll: How have the Rams met your pre-season expectations?

Unread post by Obadiah »

With the season more than two thirds complete, how have the Rams met your pre-season expectations?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Poll: How have the Rams met your pre-season expectations

Unread post by section(105) »

Below, I had thought we would have a couple more conference wins, at this point.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
This team just isn't very talented. period.
To have been in so many close games is a testiment
to their hard work and grit.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I'm surprised we've won this many. We have no front line, limited talent and a thin bench. Next year can't come soon enough.
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I expected slightly better results in terms of a record, but the effort, discipline and attitude have far exceeded my expectations.
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

I am enjoying this season much more than last. The effort by both the players and coaches is there. I like what I see from the effort standpoint. The underclassman have improved in many ways with the new staff. I predicted eight wins, but I would love to see 9-10.....Who knows?

Talent remains a concern going into next year. The A10 is really deep as it presently stands. I did not expect Hurley to do here, what he did in one year at Wagner. We will be deeper next year, but only Biruta is a proven D1 player. Mathews should contribute right away. Key players look to be these two plus Mumford, Powell and Buchanan. Hare could be more effective with Biruta on the floor with him.....The rest of the roster, although deeper, will need to prove themselves.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Wow, I'm the only one that voted exceeded? The record is about where I thought it would be, but the effort, the defense, the coaching, and the intensity are all WAY higher than I was expecting.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:Wow, I'm the only one that voted exceeded? The record is about where I thought it would be, but the effort, the defense, the coaching, and the intensity are all WAY higher than I was expecting.
You make a valid point. I voted "met" but I guess I was thinking too much in terms of straight W-L record when I cast my vote.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I voted it exceeded my expectations, I mean what were you really expecting?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I voted met expectations, the effort is there but the wins are hard to come by
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I voted below expectations, but not by a lot. I did expect a few more wins. If 2-3 of those close losses went the other way, then I would have voted met expectations.

If this team had Billy and the big O, then they would have been close to a .500 team.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Above average ability to attract kids to URI
Above average energy and discipline
Average defense
Mildly below average offense
Below average in game coaching

All in all pretty excited about next year. I still think there is positive room for growth on the coaching learning curve. I think he'll manage the endgame better (timeouts, substitutions, set plays) and the players will come. Really could not care less about total wins for this year.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Gonebarongone wrote:Above average ability to attract kids to URI
Average defense

All in all pretty excited about next year. I still think there is positive room for growth on the coaching learning curve. I think he'll manage the endgame better (timeouts, substitutions, set plays) and the players will come. Really could not care less about total wins for this year.

Idk how you can say in-game coaching is below average. Relative to what we had the orevious 10 years the coaching is off the charts!!!
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Gonebarongone.

With the exception of a couple of games, we have been in every game, with players who are new, without experience, or not that good. We generally are on the short stick with the officiating, and have had numerous injuries to an allready short rotation. I would have to say that coaching would be the main reason we have been competitive. If you are not concerned about wins, what can possibly be the beef with the coaching staff? I am not saying that Hurley is the best x/o man but he is far better than "below average" as you suggest. He has motivated and trained these kids to play collectively, far better than anyone could expect at this time, and I, like many others on this board, am excited about the future. Since you have repeatedly dumped on our best player as not being that good, you, especially, should see Dan Hurley as a miracle worker.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

RAM67 wrote:Gonebarongone.

With the exception of a couple of games, we have been in every game, with players who are new, without experience, or not that good. We generally are on the short stick with the officiating, and have had numerous injuries to an allready short rotation. I would have to say that coaching would be the main reason we have been competitive. If you are not concerned about wins, what can possibly be the beef with the coaching staff? I am not saying that Hurley is the best x/o man but he is far better than "below average" as you suggest. He has motivated and trained these kids to play collectively, far better than anyone could expect at this time, and I, like many others on this board, am excited about the future. Since you have repeatedly dumped on our best player as not being that good, you, especially, should see Dan Hurley as a miracle worker.
There is a big difference between getting kids ready and tactically handling the in-game. That's why I specifically said in-game. URI has been ahead at halftime eleven times and won four. They have been behind or tied the rest and won 2. If you guys think we have such a great guard and such a great coach, that wouldn't happen. These guys minutes aren't out of whack with the rest of D-1, especially if conditioning was supposed to be a strength. Look, as a I said, I am pretty excited for next year. The pros outweigh the cons of what I have seen. I just haven't been crazy about getting quality looks and using timeouts wisely in crunch time. Really, only X's cornier three that he missed for the win was well developed. Even then, you'd want to see him take it to the rim down one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, of course the backcourt of Powell and Munford playing 40 minutes a game, with no frontcourt, has nothing to do with
second half-game end fatigue.
Don't let logic get in the way of your hard on for Hurley.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

Bottom line is simple. A weak team that is in almost every game, has everything to do with coaching.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Yes, of course the backcourt of Powell and Munford playing 40 minutes a game, with no frontcourt, has nothing to do with
second half-game end fatigue.
Don't let logic get in the way of your hard on for Hurley.
I see you grading Hurley like Ralphie from A Christmas Story imaging his Red Ryder essay. "A+ + + + + + + + +"

Powell and Munford's minutes are in line with D-1 guards and URI's tempo is #297 in the country. Meaning, there are 296 teams in D-1 with more possessions per game. Enough with the tired legs. It is OK to be critical in life or on a stupid message board about what you see with your own eyes. I give him good grades on some things and not-so good on others.

Quinn Cook and Seth Curry 65 minutes per game. #72 in tempo
Erick Greene and Jerrell Eddy 68 minutes per game #95 tempo if you want another team with no big man. It's how college hoops works. The best guards on a team play a lot of minutes. At a much faster pace than Rhody.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, goodie. Now we're being compared to Duke.
Of course Duke has guards who get 99% of the defensive gameplan.
Nobody worries about Mason Plumlee, right?
Stop it, please.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

There aren't 20 teams in D-1 who play their starting guards less possessions than Rhody. The good thing about Hurley is I doubt he buys into the excuses you are shoveling. I hope he doesn't at least. CHazz Williams plays at the 21st fastest pace in D-1 and plays 36mpg. It's what college guards do. Enough with the bogus they are tired talk. It's laughable.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Gonebarongone wrote:Powell and Munford's minutes are in line with D-1 guards and URI's tempo is #297 in the country. Meaning, there are 296 teams in D-1 with more possessions per game.
Yet you classified the offense as only "slightly below average".
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They are! FACT! Powell and Munford are under pressure all game long, every game.
Try watching the games, instead of pontificating from a box score.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:They are! FACT! Powell and Munford are under pressure all game long, every game.
Try watching the games, instead of pontificating from a box score.
If you want to look starry eyed at Saint Daniel and make excuses for anything and everything, be my guest. They are tired, you are right. 59 total offensive possessions against Xavier over 2+ hours for a 20 year old. 59! I say we give them a direct path to sainthood. I watch the games and confirm what I see with the numbers.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, we haven't played Xavier and won't until Feb 20, unless you're a member of
the Psychic Friends Network, and played it in your mind.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Um, we haven't played Xavier and won't until Feb 20, unless you're a member of
the Psychic Friends Network, and played it in your mind.
Meant GW. Colonials. Musketeers. Tomato. Tomaaaato.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

now we now the truth, you are a GW fan in disguise, because no one in the history of college basketball has ever confused them with Xavier.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good call, BAR.
He claimed he was in Virginia, so it all makes
perfect sense!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Easy does it, weirdos. I was looking at Kenpom and saw the one point GW win and then looked back and saw a predicted one point win by X on 2/20. Anyone who subscribes to the site can see this. Or, maybe I am seeing a future one point loss (leading at half, of course) and Rod hailing Coach Hurley for getting his team to hang in there and praising X for surviving his tour of duty, I mean 60 possession game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

This team- because of a mix of inexperience, lack of skill, and out of position play- has next to no front line, to the point that it limits play-calling. The starters, not all of whom would start on a quality team, get little to no support from the bench. The problem isn't necessarily the amount of minutes; the problem is who has to get that many and the reason why they've had to get so many. The personnel is just not there to mix it up to create problems for the opposition.

But, no one's died or done anything too stupid, though, so I'm cool with it all.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

The team has played hard and smart despite being undermanned. It's tough to make your point during games when there is no one to replace players that aren't getting it. Team seems to run out of gas in the last 10. Shouldn't be a problem next year if the team is healthy. Judge with your eyeballs. The team looks better.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

When a player goes into a game knowing that he can't afford to get into foul trouble because the team can't afford to lose him, he plays differently. It's a lot more pressure than it should be.
I don't see anyway that this team/players/coaches can be properly assessed by fans this year. All I'm looking for is effort and that is certainly there.
0 x
RhodyRam2011
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyRam2011 »

Gonebarongone wrote:Above average ability to attract kids to URI
Average defense

I must say I agree with Gonebarongone here. Every time somebody has an opposing opinion on this board they get killed for it. The fact is there have been many close games at the end where Hurley X's & O's seem off to me ... however, I know this could also be attributed to the mental fatigue of the players and their lack of talent not allowing them to carry out the offense called. I am super excited about the future, and love watching the passion the guy coaches with. Having said that, that doesn't mean he doesn't have areas that he can't improve on. I think X/Os and game management is one area he definitely can get stronger (multiple times we have blown through 3 of our TO's in the second half with extensive time remaining). You can't look through your URI glasses all the time and give the guy a perfect score.

I think he is far in away the best person to lead the program going forward and it will pay off at some point, just not overnight.

Things are just really frustrating right now, especially when you beat a team like St. Louis on the road and then lose every other conference game to some of the lowly A-10 bottom dwellers (and a brutal game like UMASS). We need to stay the course, and positive returns will come.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This season has unfortunately met my expectations. I felt there would be few wins and no trip to Brooklyn as the team would not qualify for the A-10 Tournament. I saw little experienced talent and felt it was too much even for Hurley as he was in the impossible position of needing to be a miracle worker. All of that has come to fruition. I will give the team credit for mostly playing hard and keeping most games close up to now. I am however concerned that these traits might be disappearing as this season disintegrates.

These last two seasons have been extremely rough. From a win/loss perspective, they are near historic lows. Records have rarely been this bad for a two year span in the last 40 years of Rhody hoops.

1999-00 / 2000-01 12 wins
2011-12 / 2012-13 13 wins (to date)
1983-84 / 1984-85 14 wins
1982-83 / 1983-84 15 wins
2000-01 / 2001-02 15 wins
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Re: The Xs and Os, I think Hurley is too limited by the roster to accurately judge him on this. Look at it this way - He doesn't have anyone who's a natural 3-point shooter (Munford and Malesevic and Malone can hit 3s, but they aren't like Jimmy Baron or Kyle Korver out there). Mike Aaman is the only player who even has post moves, but he's limited by his size; Hare and Brooks can't play with their backs to the basket. They basically have to run a motion-based offense all the time because they don't have good post options, and they also don't have enough players who can stretch the floor. Beyond the 3-point issue, at any given time there are only 2 to 4 players on the floor who can hit a long range jumper - Munford, Malesevic, Malone, Powell, maybe Buchanan; Hare, Brooks, Aaman and Bigby can't really shoot from more than 10 feet out even if you leave them wide open.

This also leads to limitations on the defensive end. The Rams can kind of play a pressing defense, except that they need to be mindful of Powell and Munford and Malone's fatigue levels - all three guys are already playing 35+ minutes per game as is. If the other team has any decent post option at all, they can normally bully Hare, and while Aaman can body guys, he reaches and hacks a lot, and probably can't play more than 25 minutes per game because of fouls. Malone and Munford are good on-ball defenders most of the time, and Bigby is pretty good too, but because the aforementioned guys are pretty much the whole offense, I think they do have to take possessions off on defense from time to time.

I'm not really sure what the answer is with the Rams' roster as its currently made up. They could give more time to Buchanan, and they did at the expense of Malesevic on Saturday, but if you make him the primary point his TOs probably skyrocket. Powell does seem to be pressing again, but I think it's more of a well-intentioned "we need to score and I need to press things" issue as opposed to him willfully disobeying his instructions from the coaching staff. And, as Hurley pointed out, if they had a bit of a deeper bench he would be yanked each time he did that, which I imagine will happen next year and serve as a helpful "reminder" of his duties as a point guard.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good points, Mr. Greenwell.
"You can't fix the unfixable."
There are NO available cures for what ails this team, and anyone who can't see or
understand that, just isn't paying attention.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

Back to the minutes debate...
You want elite guards? Try these guys -- Aaron Craft (33.2 minutes per game), Trey Burke (34.7), Peyton Siva (31.0), Phil Pressey (34.0), Marcus Smart (33.2), Pierre Jackson (34.0), Michael Carter-Williams (33.9).
Powell (36.6) and Munford (35.5) both play more minutes per game and are nowhere near their level in terms of athleticism and skill. All of the preceding group make the game easier for themselves thanks to their quickness, ability to get to the rim or using better teammates at both the offensive and defensive ends. Those extra possessions make a difference.
Powell and Munford also have to work extremely hard to get their shots on offense and are challenged at the defensive end due to the fact that they're both very small guards. That constant pounding at both ends of the floor has a cumulative effect every night and over the course of a season. It's one of several reasons why this team can't finish games and will struggle to win many more the rest of the way.
Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Exactly.
Oh, and Trey Burke took 23 shots against Wisconsin and hit 8.
He must be terrible.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Exactly.
Oh, and Trey Burke took 23 shots against Wisconsin and hit 8.
He must be terrible.
If he did that every night, he would be terrible.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Michigan is 15-3 this year when Burke takes 12 or more shots. The reason? He's a stud surrounded by studs.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Our talent level will multiply next year and so will the results, I expect a huge turnaround winning at least 18 and maybe 20
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

3wisemen wrote:Michigan is 15-3 this year when Burke takes 12 or more shots. The reason? He's a stud surrounded by studs.
I have no problem with your horse taking shots. Trey Burke is 48% from the field, 37% from 3, and 77% from the line. X is 39%, 32%, and 74%. Honestly, I can't say that I have seen more than bits of pieces of Michigan games. I just know that the offense doesn't work at URI. It is YMCA ball and it breaks down at critical junctures. Yes, much of that is talent level but good coaches will know how to get open shots and good coaches will know how to defend the one on five Munford set at the end of games. It's not tired legs. One team was at home on Saturday. One team had no power or hot food. Which team should have outscored which by 12 in the 2nd half.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I am sure coach Hurley will get smarter in all phases in the coming years.............with greater talent.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

section(105) wrote:I am sure coach Hurley will get smarter in all phases in the coming years.............with greater talent.
Agree 105. Hurley can certainly improve as a coach, but this whole debate reminds me of a quote from (I believe) Casey Stengel:

Reporter: Casey, what makes a good coach?
Stengel: Good players.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Like I've said before, wait until next year. Yes, Hurley has made mistakes, and any mistakes are magnified many times over with this team.

Next year, the leash gets shorter. Dan won't have many excuses to fall back on, if things don't work out.

We'll see. I'm confident things will improve dramatically.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"YMCA ball" the John Wooden of Keaney Blue.com speaks!
We should have hired him instead of Hurley.
What a broken record!
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Munford doesn't have Robinson, Hardaway Jr., Stauskas, etc. to share the ball with.
Gonebaron, let's be serious. The lineup that finished the game Saturday included Munford, Powell, Buchanan, Malone and Hare. Who else would you like to see taking shots down the stretch? Powell is undersized and can't beat defenders off the dribble. Buchanan's offense is limited unless he can get to the rim. Malone is a midrange jump-shooter. Hare is raw and undeveloped with no post game to speak of. They have one option. As much as you want to pound X for being a gunner and cite shooting percentages, URI's roster is what it is right now. Take your eyes off the box score and watch the game.
Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Forget it Wisemen. You're wasting your time.
Everyone knows Ryan Brooks should take as many shots as Munford.
What's wrong with you?
The John Wooden of KeaneyBlue.com has spoken!
X sucks and so does Hurley!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Forget it Wisemen. You're wasting your time.
Everyone knows Ryan Brooks should take as many shots as Munford.
What's wrong with you?
The John Wooden of KeaneyBlue.com has spoken!
X sucks and so does Hurley!
I know you will never get it but, as I said from the beginning of the year, if I had to bet my house on it, I want X to shoot 20 shots. However, I wanted each and every possession to be a learning experience. I could not care less if we won 6 or 10 games. "No!", screamed Rod. Getting to Barclay's is important! Squeeze every win! Well, guess what, we have six wins and still playing summer league ball at the end of games. Everyone sits around watching X. Great. That worked well. On top of that, Hurley is getting his *ss handed to him in the end game. I have no doubt that he will bring in better players. There are already some on the bench right now. But, guess what, he will never have UCLA 1971 out there so he's going to have to manage the end game. I hope it is just learning curve stuff. But, I am not as hopeful as I was two months ago.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

What Hurley is trying to do here isn't about two months. It isn't about 10 games. These are all glorified dress rehearsals. URI could run the Four Corners for the rest of the season just to see if that works. The results don't matter.
What we are seeing, however, is how certain players perform in the clutch. If it looks like some are shrinking and disappearing in the last 5 minutes, they likely won't see the floor in the same situations next season and going forward. That's all being noted by the staff. Mike Powell can't get a shot or get to the rim? Mike Powell won't finish games. T.J. Buchanan turns the ball over at a critical time? T.J. Buchanan won't finish games. Xavier Munford wants to take the big shot? He'll be rewarded by finishing games -- and be given help.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Most posters including me are giving DH a pass for this year but I believe his reputation as a head coach will depend upon next season with very little room for excuses when I expect an NIT invitation.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!