Team Progress

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Team Progress

Unread post by The Dude »

What does everyone think of the team's progress at this point in the season?
The team seems to be improving with every game. It's great to see. Unfortunately, so has the competition. Playing St. Louis, VCU and Butler...ouch. Two of which were on the road. There's been a lot of talk about each individual player and their positives and negatives. In my opinion, the team is developing exactly as I thought they would. The only difference is I thought they would pull off a few more upsets, since I originally projected they would have a 17-12 record, but I'm satisfied with their progress thus far. I've noticed that some of the game day conversations are beginning to trend towards the topic of the team and player development as a whole, so I figured I'd create a topic for it. I have pretty high hopes (not expectations) for next year.
Side Topic:
I'm not sure why people keep saying that TJ isn't a point guard. He played point guard and shooting guard in high school. He has the tools to be a point guard, if he needed to be one. I feel like this kid thrives in physical games. I don't know if people recall, but he was one of the better prospects coming out of Michigan in 2010. He had a tough winning mentality. Personally, I think T.J. is severely underestimated.
Jordan Hare is exactly what I thought he would be....a FRESHMAN...with a lot to learn, but with great athleticism and potential. I turned to ATP just before the tipoff at the VCU game and said that I felt the big man for VCU was going to be what Jordan will probably look like in a couple years. I think I was referring to the Junior, Juvonte Reddic who's listed at 6'-9" 235lbs. and Hare is currently listed at 6'-10" 205lbs. If Jordan puts on a little weight the next couple seasons I anticipate he'll be just as good, if not better, than a Reddic. I think it's great that he's been able to have as much playing time as he has as a Freshman.
If the development of people like Brooks, Powell and Buchanan are any indication, I don't think there's a lot to worry about as far a player development goes with respect to this team and coaching staff. Just look at Mike Aaman and Xavier Munford, who played for Hurley in the past. You can see these coaches obviously get the most out of every man on the floor. Mike is a hustler and tough guy. He may not have the athleticism of a Jordan Hare, but the guy competes and makes up for the lack of talent with effort.
Xavier is a talented scorer and is a pretty good one at that. If there's an area he could improve on, it's turnovers. He leads the team. Now don't get me wrong, it's to be expected that the guy who has the ball in his hands a lot and gets a lot of minutes would have a lot of turnovers. It's just one area, where he may have room for improvement.
Powell...what can I say. I know people have mixed feelings and reviews about Mike Powell. I'm in Mike's corner 100% and I'll tell you why. It's got nothing to do with his father being on the board and everything to do with this kids attitude on the floor and development after having one solid year of great coaching from the Hurleys. In my mind, there is no question he's a better point guard than last year. Anyone remember dribbling Jones or Parfait Bitee who used to drive to the corner of the floor and get trapped all the time. Bitee didn't become a decent guard till his Junior year. I would argue with some that Jones didn't become good till his senior year. Some of you may disagree...but the point is that Powell is a pretty solid guard for a sophomore. He has some things he could work on like making an extra pass on a break away or trying to avoid size mismatches down low (dribbling into the trees....as some would say), but all in all he's played well and played well against respectable competition. He's gone up against guards from Virginia Tech(away), Ohio State(neutral), Seton Hall(neutral), Providence College(away), Saint Mary's(away), VCU(home) and Butler(away)....ONLY 1 of which was at home...and he's performed admirably for the vast majority of each game in my opinion. I know some are still upset over the VCU loss and some feel Mike was to blame for a crucial play that was called for a charge. I would argue the rest of the team is just as responsible....how about the open layup Brooks gave his man when he didn't get back to the paint after helping to trap a VCU guard at the top of the arc. There were more as well. Nik was bad on offense in that game some bad turnovers and little in the way of points, but I give him credit for his hustle on defense.
As frustrating as it was to watch at times, Mike didn't turn the ball over too many times against the VCU press...one of the best, if not the best pressing teams in college basketball....and to be honest the times he did get trapped and swarmed by 2 or 3 VCU players, I didn't seen his free Rhody teammates, you know...the ones who's guy left to go trap Mike, coming to his aid to help make passing the ball away a little easier. It's kind of the same deal with the inbounds plays, if anyones been watching. They move for the first few moments until they reach their designated spots and then stop. It's like they forget they still need to get free to get the ball in bounds or something. If there is one area that needs improving the most it's this one in my opinion, but regardless I think all the players are developing and playing admirably. I for one see nothing but good things continuing to happen for these players and with this program as long as they maintain a competitive "I need to continue to improve" attitude.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Re: Team Progress

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

You predicted them winning 17 games this year? Yikes.

Didn't really read the rest of the post but I'm very happy with where this team is. Wins and losses don't really matter at this point. While it would've been great to make it to Brooklyn this year, in the end it won't matter much. Can't wait to see the infusion of talent next year and beyond.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I think smart money says this team has a great chance at making the tourney next year. I am basing it by how competitive this team is with not much on the shelf.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the team is improving, I don't think anyone expected them to be perfect. We have seen glimpses of what the time is possible of (SLU, first half of VCU and Butler) and we've also seen the ugly.

-Powell is improved from last year, he's playing better and could still improve on some areas (everyone can)
-Hare has shown glimpses of what he is capable of. I don't know if he will ever be a back to the basket player but he may not need to be. We may need him to be an Ulmer type of player (get rebounds and will score on put backs and dunks)
-Buchanan will be a role player and a good one. he has shown this year the ability to run the offense and score
-X is a pure scorer and will benefit from not being the only focal point of the offense next year. I expect his number of shots to go down but not necessarily his scoring.
-Aaman will be the back up center next year, he's a hard working aggressive player that's not afraid to bang bodies

I see next years line being like this (starters then subs)
1: Minnis, Powell, Matthews
2: Munford, Buchanan
3: Reischel, Martin
4: Biruta, Hare
5: Onyekaba, Aaman

of course some players will cross over positions
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

It will be nice having an inside game for a change!
twisted3829 wrote:the team is improving, I don't think anyone expected them to be perfect. We have seen glimpses of what the time is possible of (SLU, first half of VCU and Butler) and we've also seen the ugly.

-Powell is improved from last year, he's playing better and could still improve on some areas (everyone can)
-Hare has shown glimpses of what he is capable of. I don't know if he will ever be a back to the basket player but he may not need to be. We may need him to be an Ulmer type of player (get rebounds and will score on put backs and dunks)
-Buchanan will be a role player and a good one. he has shown this year the ability to run the offense and score
-X is a pure scorer and will benefit from not being the only focal point of the offense next year. I expect his number of shots to go down but not necessarily his scoring.
-Aaman will be the back up center next year, he's a hard working aggressive player that's not afraid to bang bodies

I see next years line being like this (starters then subs)
1: Minnis, Powell, Matthews
2: Munford, Buchanan
3: Reischel, Martin
4: Biruta, Hare
5: Onyekaba, Aaman

of course some players will cross over positions
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I like where we are in the transition(not the record)of the program into the Dan Hurley era. For me the best like is that I think we are puting notice to the rest of the league that URI is on the move to A-10 success. I also like the reports on the make up of next years roster. Making it to the Dance is a huge leap, in one year, as the rest of the A-10 is just gonna stand by and watch. The roster change over does make me thnk though that leap can be made in one year. Go Rhody!!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Twisted, I agree with your lineup projections.
Only thing is, there are two more players coming in,
who we don't know about, yet.
What makes me more optimistic about next year than I was previously,
is our European trip.
That will give staff a chance to mix, match and blend this team under game conditions.
That's far better than a couple of exhibitions following the practices, and then still
learning where to fit personnel in the OOC schedule.
I now believe we have a great chance to hit the ground running
for next season.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

I'm very excited about next year. I'm even excited about the end of this year.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Twisted, I agree with your lineup projections.
Only thing is, there are two more players coming in,
who we don't know about, yet.
What makes me more optimistic about next year than I was previously,
is our European trip.
That will give staff a chance to mix, match and blend this team under game conditions.
That's far better than a couple of exhibitions following the practices, and then still
learning where to fit personnel in the OOC schedule.
I now believe we have a great chance to hit the ground running
for next season.
absolutely, but without knowing who they are I had to leave them out. the trip to europe will certainly help the team mesh together
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

I'm really jazzed that the team is able to go over the Europe. It'll be a great experience for the team to develop skill-wise but I'm sure will also be an amazing experience for them as people.

Something I'm curious about though...with all the NCAA regulations on practice time and coaching before the season begins, how are trips like this one excused from that?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Trip to Italy to play some pro teams...will be a great experience for the team and our future!!!
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Well, The Dude does where rose-colored glasses.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Agree with everything The Dude says, especially about Powell. Remembering Marquis Jones as a Soph, I would have to say he is much more advanced than jones was as a Soph. Of course he has seen more playing time. If Mike can improve yearly as much as Marquis did than he will be something special as a senior. I forsee him improving his shot each year as well as his court vision and awareness as most PGs do. Hare seems to be gaining confidence and his teammates are now looking for him more on offense. He had a nice game against Butler which was very encouraging. Early in the season he looked lost, not anymore. The team will benefit most I suspect by the added bulk next year. They need another couple outside threats to replace Nik and Andre and hopefully surpass their offensive contributions. I haven't seen any of the transfers or freshman. Has anyone seen much of them? Are Martin or Matthews outside threats? And what's the story on Reischel? What kind of player is he?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Reischel is a good all around player, who DH says is a strong finisher. He's a SF.
Biruta is a bullish PF, from Rutgers. Good inside player, who is working to broaden his game with an outside shot.
Oneykaba, strongest player at URI in memory. Surprising skill low post moves. DH said he has 3 years eligibility left,
and thinks he'd have been a 10 ppg 7 rpg if he played this year.
Minnis is in the hunt to start PG next year. Big, physical, defender, who is working on his outside shot, but likes
to go to the hoop to score or dish.
Martin right now, is an inside player, but he wants to play SF, and will be working on his mid range game in Kingston.
Matthews is a slasher-driver. Can shoot from deep, but not his forte.
Two more recruits, and staff wants offense. May go with jucos.
So, no, there are no knock down shooters on the projected roster.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Thanks Rod. We really got to get the shooters. I have a lot of faith in the Hurleys to come up with the answers. This program is going to burst back onto the scene sooner or later with these guys in charge. I am a patient manbut I get a lttle ansy once in a while. Hoe it's sooner than later. Then we can really have some fun.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, they're looking for a two guard and another bigman.
From what I've seen and heard, most of what these recruiting sites say, is
untrue. Recruits they claim we were after, turns our, we weren't. Nobody
in the Western hemisphere predicted Oneykaba, who was nominated for a McDonald AA,
even though he's now in college. This staff has a long recruiting radius.
Still, there will be scorers, not necessarily shooters, like Munford, Matthews,
Biruta et al. and numbers, so nobody plays 40 minutes and tires at the end
of games, like they do now.
Think of this...our team plays even the toughest teams close, as they did with VCU and Butler, and beating St. Louis.
Now this team regularly gets beat by the scout team by plenty.
What does that say about how good Biruta, Big O, Reischel and Minnis are?
And that isn't with Matthews and Martin and two others unnamed!
There will also be balance, with an inside game, that we lack, now.
Rebounding and interior defense and offense will be greatly improved.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think we are progressing, I watched the Butler game and loved how we competed
0 x
runninrams5
Steve Chubin

Unread post by runninrams5 »

I agree we really would benefit from bringing in another shooter, but I think that Mike and X will shoot a much better percentage from 3 next year as they will not have to jack up so many threes at the end of shot clocks like they are sometimes forced to this year. I expect to shoot high 30's% possibly even 40 next year. TJ is also showing when there is good penetration and he is open he is capable of knocking down the 3.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Would like to see a designated three point shooter come into the mix, someone to spot up at the three point line for some inside-outside game, and on the secondary break.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

What is going to be really good about next year is we should have some interior defense! it has been killing us against better competition. Having some big bodies to keep opposing bigs out of the paint is key when buckets are at a premium.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I think people are being a little too bullish on Oneykaba. He's a big kid but is a work in progress skill wise. His touch and skill in the post is very raw.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So when Dan says Onyekaba would be a 10pt-7rb guy this year, that doesn't tell you something? In the open practice, he was the only kid on the floor who knew how to play back to the basket. He had some moves even in November!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The person most bullish on Oneykaba is the one who matters most.
Dan Hurley.
Says Big O has huge upside with the ability to be a 10-7 player, had he played this year.
To state that Big O is the best bigman in practices should trump this "raw" tag.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Well, they're looking for a two guard and another bigman.
From what I've seen and heard, most of what these recruiting sites say, is
untrue. Recruits they claim we were after, turns our, we weren't. Nobody
in the Western hemisphere predicted Oneykaba, who was nominated for a McDonald AA,
even though he's now in college. This staff has a long recruiting radius.
Still, there will be scorers, not necessarily shooters, like Munford, Matthews,
Biruta et al. and numbers, so nobody plays 40 minutes and tires at the end
of games, like they do now.
Think of this...our team plays even the toughest teams close, as they did with VCU and Butler, and beating St. Louis.
Now this team regularly gets beat by the scout team by plenty.
What does that say about how good Biruta, Big O, Reischel and Minnis are?
And that isn't with Matthews and Martin and two others unnamed!
There will also be balance, with an inside game, that we lack, now.
Rebounding and interior defense and offense will be greatly improved.
The transitive property of hope. If the scout team is winning by 30 and Butler is beating us by 6, then we should be 24 points better than Butler. It just doesn't work that way. Coaches love throwing out that transfer(s) are the best players on the floor in practice. We will see. No doubt this team will be better. A lot of where we finish, of course, is dependent on what the makeup of the A10 looks like next year. I think the Europe trips helps and I could see a 20-10 type year just on the NCAA bubble.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sounds reasonable Gonzo.
My point was, next years team will be far better, and deeper, than this years team.
If you doubt Gil Biruta is better than anything we have in our present frontcourt, then there's no point
in any futher discussion.
All the transfers were highly recruited in high school. Look it up.
Then add Matthews, Martin and two more players to the mix.
Lot of work for the staff, but that's what they're here for.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd still like to know why the Big O lost a year of eligibility.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley said it wasn't anything the kid did wrong, and that he's an advanced student.
Also the NCAA will be petitioned to get his forth year back, when the time comes.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

the one definite in my book is that Gil Biruta will dominate A10 big men. i watched a good deal of his games at RU, he combines russian toughness with european big man skills. look what kanacevic does for st joe. no reason to think Gil wont be that and more, Kanacevic was a hofstra recruit, Gil a big east recruit. i'll take the leap and say he will be a dominant force in our league next year.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Sounds reasonable Gonzo.
My point was, next years team will be far better, and deeper, than this years team.
If you doubt Gil Biruta is better than anything we have in our present frontcourt, then there's no point
in any futher discussion.
All the transfers were highly recruited in high school. Look it up.
Then add Matthews, Martin and two more players to the mix.
Lot of work for the staff, but that's what they're here for.
No doubt. That's why I said 20-10. Better defensive rebound rate alone will net 5-6 more wins. I think the talent is there for 20+ wins. I am interested in the OOC, though. I could see some rough spots (and some bad losses that eventually keep us out) just because it is so hard to incorporate that many new guys before turning it on in conferencec. The Euro trip will be great. It's like a six week head start to work out the guard rotation, etc. Still hope Hurley can pull in a shooter. There are usually a few dozen guys who have graduated with a year of eligibility left that are looking around at the end of the year. Maybe get one of those guys. In a perfect world it would be a 2/3 type that can stretch a defense.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good points, Gonezo.
I hadn't thought about the post-grad thing, which is
relatively new.
Also, I wonder when the NCAAs new transfers being able to play immediately with a certain GPA
goes into affect?
We really need a pure shooter, as there is none on the projected roster.
Playing against pro teams in Europe should toughen and help bring this team together.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Might bring in a shooter that's a post grad just to start evening out the classes
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

I'm not totally up to speed on the recruits. Why is Minnis projected to start at PG over Mathews? I'm assuming Mathews will get significant time at SG, especially as he refines his ability to operate the offense. Is Minnis considered a better prospect overall or am I missing something? I've only seen clips of Mathews playing and he looked very impressive.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Here's what's possibly going on. Matthews is a freshman, who will eventually work his way into
the lineup. At what point, depends on his adjustment to college ball.
Minnis is a big, physical, defensive PG, who was recruited by the likes of Georgetown, high school AA coming out of high school.
Some schools backed off, because of academics, but he squared them away and went to Texas Tech. Read below. Kind of kid we'd kill for coming out of high school. I wasn't impressed when we got him, but talking to some Philly people, and others, has changed my mind.
This from the TT site:
" late addition to the roster, DeShon "Biggie" Minnis is a versatile player that saw his point production increase each season in high school, culminating in All-America honors.

PRIOR TO TEXAS TECH
Earned third team NCSAA high school All-America honors as a senior at Egg Harbor Township (N.J.) Atlantic Christian School ... was a two-time NCSAA Northeast Super Regional honoree and TSCAC All-Conference selection at the school ... averaged 18.5 points, 6.0 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.8 steals per game in 2010-11, after chipping in 17.1 points, 4.2 assists, 3.8 rebounds and 3.4 steals per game as a junior ... as a sophomore, he led South Philadelphia High School to the Philadelphia Public League Class AAAA Championship, after averaging 15 points and four assists a game ... earned first team All-Public League and third team All-City that season ... also recruited by West Virginia, Marquette, St. John's, UCF, Marshall, Providence and Penn State."
""We are extremely happy to have DeShon here on campus," Gillispie said in a story on the school's website. "He is a strong and very versatile player, who is highly regarded. He has the ability to play more than one position and he is the type of guy that we like to coach. Moreover, he is a great young man, who we think will get along great with our other players and gives us a great chance for success."
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Thanks Rod. I didn't realize Minnis was a transfer (oops). That makes a lot of sense.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

More on Biggie from ESPN. Kind of backs up my thought that's he's primarily a driver. He's
said to be working on his shot, to balance his game.

"Player to watch

Deshon Minnis (Egg Harbor Township, N.J./Atlantic Christian)
2011, PG, 6-3
A big lead guard with great size and strength, Minnis has all the tools to play at a high level. Although he can be too nonchalant with the ball at times, he isn't rattled by pressure when handling the ball, makes good use of his frame to shield off the defender and always has his head up. He has a ton of explosion in his game, attacking the rim with his dribble, and he has incredible body control finishing around the rim. Minnis has a knack for hanging and maneuvering in mid-air to outlast or avoid shot blockers. His Achilles' heel offensively appears to be his jump shot. He didn't attempt anything outside the paint for as long as we watched."
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

We are who we thought we were:

a complete and total rebuilding project that started with the barest of cupboards. A very young team, with not a lot of high level basketball talent, maxing out their potential through great coaching and effort.

Once this system and the players needed to run it hit the floor together next year...the A-10 will go through Kingston.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Pappy Owens told ppl Biggie had pro potential. take that for what its worth, Pappy is a Philly guy and had seen a lot of Biggie in high school.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

This about Jarrelle Reischel. Sorry, he was the one recruited by Georgetown.
"One of the top available seniors in the state, 6-foot-6 Point Pleasant Beach Sr. Jarelle Reischel is down to two schools. A decision is expected in the next few days.

NJ Hoops

Jarelle Reischel

Reischel is considering Seton Hall, Rice and Penn State. He has already visited all three campuses.

Other schools that were in the mix were Temple and Georgetown.

As a junior Reischel averaged 22.7 ppg, 13.1 ppg, 4.4 spg, 4.1 apg with 31 treys. He was named NJ Hoops 8th Team All State.

Reischel is a good athlete with a good skill level. He can score oustide or inside as well as put the ball on the floor. He also gets to the free throw stripe quite frequently.'
"
Jarelle Reischel

Jarelle Reischel

Shooting Guard

Class: 2011

Point Pleasant BeachSchool
N/AAAU
6'5Height
200lbsWeight

Verbal Status

★★★★★

Jarelle Reischel is a smooth shooter who does a number of things well. Reischel is a good finisher around the rim and has excellent control of his body. Reischell is a solid rebounder for his position and often grabs the board and leads the break for his Point Pleasant Beach high school team. Reischell struggles against more athletic competition because he isn’t very laterally quick or explosive. He is turnover prone when seeing double teams which may be a result from playing with inferior talent surrounding him. -Dave Krupinski (Fall 2009)

Reischel has put on more muscle to his frame improving his rebounding ability. Reischel is a very unselfish player but sometimes he needs to be more selfish and aggressive and realize he is the best player on the floor. Committing to Rice is a very appropriate level for him to reach his full potential. -Dave Krupinski (Fall 2010)"
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

They've talked to X after game and he says he plays and defends Reischel in practice and they are about the same
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Pappy is still my favorite ex player. I always enjoyed sitting with his great family who usually came up to the games. He certainly knows BB, especially guards.
I've been thinking about next year's team a lot lately. I agree with those that have said that it usually takes transfers and other players who sit out for a year a while to get in gear. However, I think this is a different situation.
First, we don't have just one player sitting out. We have a bunch. They're already getting used to playing together and in Hurley's system. Second, this Europe trip is going to be great for them. It's like having a mini season before the actual one starts.
I expect us to be able to start the season pretty strong.
I can't wait to have some toughness and muscle under the boards. It's been a long time since we've been able to make people pay for driving the lane on us. I still remember "what's his name's" matador defense. Yikes..
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

didnt take Rotnei Clarke too long to get going on Butler

i would prefer a group of transfers versus a group of young guys, in terms of getting in sync quickly. they dont have to adjust to the speed, size or talent difference inherent with high Div 1 basketball, like FR do. yes i think it will take 8-10 games for the new team to build that on court chemistry, but i dont think it will take much longer than that. i have high hopes for next season.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

sf2010 wrote:I'm really jazzed that the team is able to go over the Europe. It'll be a great experience for the team to develop skill-wise but I'm sure will also be an amazing experience for them as people.

Something I'm curious about though...with all the NCAA regulations on practice time and coaching before the season begins, how are trips like this one excused from that?
Teams are allowed one of these types of trips every four years. VCU went to Italy in August of 2012- it was a 10 day trip, five cities and four games. The competition isn't always the greatest, but the personal and game experiences, especially with so many new players, are important. Plus, the NCAA now allows incoming freshmen to go on these tours, so Martin and Matthews are in.
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

this season (for us fans) has nothing to do with the players or the record. It has to do with the culture the Hurley bro's are instilling in this program...and even in the losses, you see huge improvements over the culture we've had the previous 10 years or so. Yes, Baron winning 20 or so per year was nice, but never yielded an NCAA bid. With the way Hurley runs things, this team (once we have our real squad out there) will be very good. 2013-2014 will be fun to watch and they'll be competitive, but in 2014-2015, when Hurley's had a few years with the studs and Jordan Hare rounds out his game, they will be a nasty ball club. The future looks great, which makes watching this years team (even with the losses) fun to watch...and should create optimism amongst those of us who follow Rhody ball.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

ace wrote:
sf2010 wrote:I'm really jazzed that the team is able to go over the Europe. It'll be a great experience for the team to develop skill-wise but I'm sure will also be an amazing experience for them as people.

Teams are allowed one of these types of trips every four years. VCU went to Italy in August of 2012- it was a 10 day trip, five cities and four games. The competition isn't always the greatest, but the personal and game experiences, especially with so many new players, are important. Plus, the NCAA now allows incoming freshmen to go on these tours, so Martin and Matthews are in.
Thanks ace, I was wondering if I was going to need to repost that question :)

And I agree I think it'll be fantastic for the team to get that experience. I wonder if Nik'll tag along and be a tour guide...

Has Hurley happened to mention exactly where in Europe they're going?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i heard italy
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

ace wrote:

This is true. The only thing I will add is that the level of competition varies wildly, meaning the Hurley's will have a lot to do with how tough it is. Usually, it is the 2nd or 3rd division type pro teams and a local college. If it is Italy, it will be pretty good ball. At the very least, it will toughen them up. They pros will be mostly older and know how to bang.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Gonebarongone wrote:
ace wrote:

This is true. The only thing I will add is that the level of competition varies wildly, meaning the Hurley's will have a lot to do with how tough it is. Usually, it is the 2nd or 3rd division type pro teams and a local college. If it is Italy, it will be pretty good ball. At the very least, it will toughen them up. They pros will be mostly older and know how to bang.
The VCU scores were crazy. I think they beat one team by about 70.
0 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

Hurley might be done recruiting for next year.with only 1 senior on next years team that leaves 3 recruits available for 2014
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I don't see them leaving 2 spots open when there are still needs to address for next year's team.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hurley wants to win too bad, to not go with a full roster.
0 x