Game 20: URI @ #9 Butler - GameDay!!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: Game 20: URI @ #9 Butler - GameDay!!

Unread post by twisted3829 »

ElmCityRhody wrote:Sure we won't win.. But this team never gives up

I am proud of this team..

Next year, things change
not over just yet
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Ahhh TJ that wasnt the shot we wanted!!
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course their 56% free throw shooter goes 8-8 today!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

good fight, tough shooting in the second half but fought all the way
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I appreciate the effort Rhody.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:good fight, tough shooting in the second half but fought all the way
I really never thought we had any chance of making that a game again about halfway through the second half. Pretty impressive.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Bravo Rhody...good show! Glad that Rhody played Butler well today...and at Butler no less. It's impressive. I really can't wait till next year. Oh man what a team we will have. Butler 75-68...not bad.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

All a10 losses by 8 points or less..
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Loved that late push to make a game of it with a few minutes to go. Solid effort from everybody. Seems like the same old some after every game... awesome effort just don't have the talent. Very pleased with the team and coaching today.
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

These guys play very hard and never stop. The oils have easily folded at the end of the Butler run, down 14' but they didnt't. This is a complete cultural transformation we've witnessed in less than a year. Very encouraging.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

I've never been so proud of a 6-14 team. These guys fight til the bitter end in every game.

Plus, the fact we're only losing by a few pts in all these games only makes me more excited for next season. No one will want to play us.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

EZBuckets wrote:I've never been so proud of a 6-14 team. These guys fight til the bitter end in every game.

Plus, the fact we're only losing by a few pts in all these games only makes me more excited for next season. No one will want to play us.
Exactly, it'd be one thing if they were playing their asses off and still getting blown out. But we've been in almost every game. Very encouraging.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

adam914 wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:I just saw why hare can't play inside
Haha you beat me to it...hopefully thats something that can develop a little over time, but I dont think it'll ever be a major part of his game.
I love how you guys ignore the other side of the argument which, as I have said is the most important one. Where is everyone harping on X going 3-13? How about a "now I know why he shouldn't take outside shots"? Unbelievable. It's not about Hare getting shots. It's about getting some touches and some semblance of offense, inside and out, installed so there won't be another huge learning curve year, even if these guys don't all start. Keep shooting X! No mention of his 13 shots but a string of posts on one of Hare's post moves. Talk about blind. "But, he is the only one who can get shots!" Guess what, he doesn't make them. He isn't a good offensive player. Enough. 14 points on 13 shots is not getting it done.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

go away friar fan or family member of the former coach. please
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Can't wait to see a fully loaded team next year! In the meantime, excited about some great teams still yet to play this season, many of them at the Ryan Center (LaSalle, Xavier, Dayton, UMass... and Bonnies).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Weekly Call-In Show is LIVE NOW!!

http://www.livestream.com/urirams
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Call in! Show is LIVE.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Similar to other posts, this team has one heck of a heart. Never quitting, always hustling.

Have not and will not quit...that ram team
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
adam914 wrote:
ElmCityRhody wrote:I just saw why hare can't play inside
Haha you beat me to it...hopefully thats something that can develop a little over time, but I dont think it'll ever be a major part of his game.
I love how you guys ignore the other side of the argument which, as I have said is the most important one. Where is everyone harping on X going 3-13? How about a "now I know why he shouldn't take outside shots"? Unbelievable. It's not about Hare getting shots. It's about getting some touches and some semblance of offense, inside and out, installed so there won't be another huge learning curve year, even if these guys don't all start. Keep shooting X! No mention of his 13 shots but a string of posts on one of Hare's post moves. Talk about blind. "But, he is the only one who can get shots!" Guess what, he doesn't make them. He isn't a good offensive player. Enough. 14 points on 13 shots is not getting it done.
No matter how many times you post it, I'm still not going to be agree with you. If anyone else on the team was capable of scoring on a regular basis X would not need to shoot as much. I also don't believe its worth it to go out there game after game and get blown out just for the sake of giving certain guys touches who clearly aren't ready for that. Like it or not they are trying to win games.

So you can continue to try and convince me all you want, but its a waste of your time at this point.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Just got back from running around.
Not going to bother responding to the broken record guy with the boner for X and Hurley.
Hare can't catch shit in the post, plays LOUSY defense, and generally isn't the answer going forward.
Butler inside players were going over, under, around and though Hare all game long.
People peeing their pants over some dunks and blocked shots, just don't know much.
Flash over substance.
On a more positive note, this team just has no quit.
This game was like a carbon copy of the VCU game. Good first half and
coming out in a coma for the second half.
Nik really played hard, especially down the stretch. Big three by TJ,, too.
Limping Munford stopped Clarke from doing anything down the stretch.
To make it a two posession game after being down double figure, with their best player hobbling around,
at Butler, says so much about the Hurley and staff way of doing business.
Anyone not proud of this team, isn't a Rhody Ram fan. Period.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Unread post by 3wisemen »

I would argue that URI's last decent front court player was Kahiem Seawright. He played in 28 games as a freshman, starting none of them. He played 18.6 minutes per game. He averaged 4.4 points, 3.5 rebounds and blocked 16 shots total. He shot 50.5 percent from the field.
Jordan Hare had played 20 college games to date, starting 15. Dan Hurley has said Hare is nowhere close to ready -- rather, he's playing 20.6 minutes per game out of necessity due to URI's thin front court. He's averaging 5.3 points, 3.9 rebounds and has blocked 39 shots, good for third in the conference. He shoots 60.9 percent from the field.
Now, considering the type of player that Seawright developed into, are you still ready to dismiss Hare so quickly? He's not even close to the finished product. And I'll guess by reading your posts that you have faith in the coaching staff, Rod. So allow them to develop Hare and put some players around him. The addition of Onyekaba and Biruta instantly make Hare a better player. Give it time and don't be so reactionary.

P.S. -- I am in no way endorsing any of gonebarongone's positions with this argument. Hare isn't ready to take more shots or have the offense run through him. SGreenwell's Allen Iverson post is in line with my personal views -- and, not coincidentally, Munford's favorite player happens to be Iverson.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Well, let's just say, there is a view, not actually mine, that's not all that enamored by Hare.
Why not compare Will Daniels to Hare,while you're at it.
Seawright and Hare is apples and oranges.
Baron NEVER played freshmen. His two freshmen at Canisius have not gotten off the bench.
187lbs. no moves, no instincts, no shot, 3 rebounds in 23 minutes. Aaman got two in 9 minutes.
I don't care if he played with the Miami Heat around him, how is that going to improve him, with so many basic parts
of the game, missing? What Biruta, Oneykaba and whatever bigman staff brings in, will merely relegate
Hare to a role player.
Maybe a miracle will happen and Hare will shock some of us, who don't think he's a D-1 bigman.
So Iverson is Munford's favorite player? BFD.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Regarding Munford, does the fact an NBA GM was looking at him matter to GBG?

FootBasket‏@Foot_Basket

Xavier Munford is a player to watch here. Spurs GM RC Buford in attendance taking notes of the URI guard. #ButlerURI
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Will Daniels as a freshman -- 28 games played, five games started, 6.4 points, 3.7 rebounds, nine blocked shots, 40.5 percent from the field. He was overwhelmed just like Seawright was overwhelmed -- and just like Hare is overwhelmed now. It's up to the coaching staff to develop him, much of which happens in the offseason. They simply don't have the time to do that now with games, practices and classwork going on. It's going to take a period of months or even a couple years for him to get stronger, work on his game, etc.
And Baron never played freshmen? You have a short memory, Rod. Jonathan Holton averaged 28.5 minutes per game, 10.2 points and 8.1 rebounds last season.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he only played Holton because he had no choice, did you follow this team last year other than the stat page?
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

twisted3829 wrote:he only played Holton because he had no choice, did you follow this team last year other than the stat page?
And Hurley has a choice now with Hare? Absolutely not. He's playing out of necessity.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rod, have to disagree with you on Hare. Yes he gets pushed around on D, has bad footwork, no back to the basket game, appears lost at times...but his upside is through the roof. Its impossible to predict if he will reach his potential, but I am definitely not ready to give up on a long, athletic 6'10" freshman who has blocked 8 shots in a game, scored 14 in his debut PC game, and had spurts of play where he has been a force (opening 5 of VCU for example).
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hare is going to be a role player the rest of his career at URI. He does some things well, but nowhere near enough to be a starter once others become eligible next year.

Yes, he will improve of course. How much is anybody's guess. The inference here, is that maybe Jordan's work ethic in practice doesn't enamor him to the coaching staff. Is he willing to work hard enough to improve his game? That's been discussed here before.

The other thing here, is that Hare was basically a Baron recruit, and maybe if Hurley had had more time to recruit big men, would Jordan even be here? Maybe Dan really had no choice, knowing how shorthanded he was going to be up front this year?

Just food for thought. As we've already seen, the level of recruit that the Hurleys are bringing in, is night and day better than what was already here. Except for Mike of course.

Would have been nice, though, to see how much Holton would have helped this team on the boards, playing inside, and NOT hoisting up 3's!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Baron didn't even play Scott Hazelton in his first year here.
Baron only played Holton because he made promises to him.
That's why Baron allowed him to crank up 3 pointers at will.
If Aaman was healthy, Hare's time would be even less.
It's not up to staff to make Hare better, it's up to Hare.
I don't know whwere this "unlimited upside" baloney comes from.
If you have a low basketball IQ and zero instincts for the game, how?
Unless there's dramatic improvement over the summer and in Europe,
Hare's a role player.
If Hurley believes Oneykaba this year would have been 10PPG and 7 RPG, what does that imply?
Add Biruta, and you get.....bench player next season.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Just wanna say , I haven't seen this many dunks by a legit forward on this team in my life, more than seawright, or Martell or even outerbridge. Saying that. Having an athletic and aggressive base is fantastic to build on. Add in the other guys next season and that's an awesome frontcourt
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I don't give a crap about dunks. This isn't And One basketball, or Sports Center Top 10.
I'd rather have a center score five baskets on shots over a couple of dunks.
What about defense? Did you watch the game? Oh, but he blocks shots!
Yes, but opponents abuse him under the boards.
3 rebounds in 23 minutes?
Flash over substance.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

It's inexperience. It has nothing to do with flash or substance. Why is it flash -- because Hare dunks the ball instead of laying it in? There hasn't been a much more athletic move since the Ryan Center opened than the Hare dunk early in the VCU game.
Watch the press conference videos from the start of the year. Dan Hurley has said several times, "Jordan's going to be a great player." That's the future tense. He's trying to slow expectations because he knows Hare was never challenged in high school and barely coached. Mike Aaman gets by on grit -- he's had to know how to play because he's limited physically. Hare was always been the most athletic guy on the floor in high school, and that can develop bad habits. Those habits need time to be broken, which this staff will do.
Look at Ryan Brooks. Look at how lost he was his first three years. Look at the difference in his game this season -- he's actually playing some decent minutes at times. Hare's talent is infinitely greater than Brooks, and the staff has three years to work with him, not just one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yup, he's the greatest.
Hakeem Olajuwon came here having no AAU or high school
experience and was a stud from day one at Houston.
You have it or you don't. A feel for the game is instinctive.
When was the last time you heard Dan Hurley say Hare was going to be a great player?
Crickets.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

he has potential but is a long way from being great. Coming off the bench will help him out next year as will getting him as much instruction as possible over the summer.

3wise you obviously never saw Ulmer or Mbang play since they were just as if not more athletic than Hare
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

Note the part where Dan Hurley says, "The kid's going to be a heck of a basketball player."
This was after the VCU game. So, Rod, that would be Wednesday night, Jan. 30.
And yes, Hurley also lists Hare's deficiencies. Those aren't in dispute. But they're no reason to quit on the kid after 20 games.
And yes, I saw Mbang and Ulmer play. Mbang was much more of a perimeter player. If there was a bad 3-pointer, he took it.
Ulmer was the perfect piece when he was here. He didn't demand the ball, scored on the offensive glass and used his length. But he was nobody's idea of an elite talent. He wasn't a top-125 recruit. Hare is, the first one since Delroy James that this program has had. If he develops and reaches his potential URI has something very, very special, but that's not going to happen overnight.

http://narragansett.patch.com/articles/ ... o-13180425
Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good, you go right ahead and send Hare a Valentine card.
I'm done with this idiotic discussion.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

rodfromcranston wrote:Just got back from running around.
Not going to bother responding to the broken record guy with the boner for X and Hurley.
Hare can't catch shit in the post, plays LOUSY defense, and generally isn't the answer going forward.
Butler inside players were going over, under, around and though Hare all game long.
People peeing their pants over some dunks and blocked shots, just don't know much.
Flash over substance.
On a more positive note, this team just has no quit.
This game was like a carbon copy of the VCU game. Good first half and
coming out in a coma for the second half.
Nik really played hard, especially down the stretch. Big three by TJ,, too.
Limping Munford stopped Clarke from doing anything down the stretch.
To make it a two posession game after being down double figure, with their best player hobbling around,
at Butler, says so much about the Hurley and staff way of doing business.
Anyone not proud of this team, isn't a Rhody Ram fan. Period.

Nik played hard? Not on defense. How many backdoor dunks did he give up, 3 or 4? Then looked to blame someone else.

Time to give Hare a break. Same people ripping Mike are now looking for a new target. Try the senior who doesn't get it.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Guess you missed Nik's 18 points, most coming down the stretch.
How many points did Hare let in? A hell of a lot more than Nik did.
Nik is a small forward, not responsible for interior defense or lack of same.
Granted, he's deficient on defense, but nobody in the frontcourt is a defensive wiz.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Really? The 8 points on dunks and another 7 rotating late on Clarke. He's useless on D. Played well on offense down the stretch, had a favorable matchup and exploited it, yet I didn't complain about his offense, did I?

And like BAR said, Hare never needed to learn the basics in HS, dude was 6'10 and probably dunked 100% of the time. Putting on weight is pretty easy during the offseason training and teaching low post moves is much easier than teaching a jump shot, ask Rando. If Hare is this bad and can score 8 points, that says something about his raw talent. Will he be a force, doubt it? But, he could be a double-double guy his junior and senior year with the right coaching and work effort.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

2 points in the second half. Yawn. 3 rebounds in 23 minutes!
Double double guy? Will Daniels wasn't a double double.
ARD wasn't a double double guy. Lamar wasn't a double double guy.
We haven't had a double double guy since Kenny Green in 1989!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Can't completly over look blocks. Sure he gets backed down, thats lack of strength but hes blocking way more shots than any forward I remember in the past couple of seasons. And its obvious in a game like today that we were hurt more in the paint with Hare on the bench. Tall lengthy athletic players like Hare create a much tougher shot. Vedder had 3-5 inches on Hare and isnt half as affective on defense OR offense. Same goes for Martel who finally developed a hook shot his senior year. Hare is a FR. Give him a summer to lift weights and learn some more moves.
0 x
GO RAMS
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

rodfromcranston wrote:Guess you missed Nik's 18 points, most coming down the stretch.
How many points did Hare let in? A hell of a lot more than Nik did.
Nik is a small forward, not responsible for interior defense or lack of same.
Granted, he's deficient on defense, but nobody in the frontcourt is a defensive wiz.
Nik is a small forward? Certainly not at the defensive end on this particular team. He's played the power forward spot most of the season out of necessity, as they've used three guards at just about all times. Look at the VCU game. Nik was guarding Graham -- VCU's 4.

Consider the minutes today against Butler:
Malesevic 30, Hare 22, Malone 28, Powell 33, Munford 37, Brooks 7, Bigby 10, Buchanan 24, Aaman 9.
Hare plays the 5 exclusively. Aaman is a natural 4 and has been forced to play the 5 at times. Powell, Munford and Buchanan certainly aren't power forwards. That leaves Malone, who is a perimeter player, and Nik. Mismatch or not, equipped for it or not, it's his job to defend and give this team some toughness. His experience demands that. The coaching staff has demanded that. He has delivered it in spots, but not on a consistent basis.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:2 points in the second half. Yawn. 3 rebounds in 23 minutes!
Double double guy? Will Daniels wasn't a double double.
ARD wasn't a double double guy. Lamar wasn't a double double guy.
We haven't had a double double guy since Kenny Green in 1989!
Lamar was here one year and basically played the point. Will should have been, but was he even coached to rebound by Baron? And I think we overrate ARD a bit, great guy, good player.

I wasn't talking year-end stats more than say 40-50% of games. He needs to get stronger, more aggressive and learn the game. You say his basketball IQ is low, which it is now, but you insinuate that he can't learn the game.

You also said both Mike and TJ, referencing 10% FG % at nauseoum, were god awful. How is that turning out? Both playing much better than you ever thought. See a trend?
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Kenny Green is my all-time favorite Ram. I have nice dreams of that dunk against the Cuse.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Aaman is NOT a natural four. Give me a break! He's a back to the basket player and was in high school.
I doubt he's seen 10 minutes all season at the same time as Brooks and Hare.
Nik is not physically equipped for being a PF. He's a swingman, or a SF. So if a team ran a four guard offense, you'd say some 6'3" guy was a power forward? Wow!
Understand this, and Hurley agrees with me....this team does NOT have a true forward on it. Nik is almost as thin as Hare, but you want
toughness out of him? Amazing. He's supposed to morph into Jeff Ruland, because he's playing that position, which isn't close to being a natural one for him.
Sweep, I loved Kenny Green. I feel sorry that he's stuck in the Middle East and can't come home.
0 x
3wisemen
Jeff Kent

rodfromcranston wrote:Aaman is NOT a natural four. Give me a break! He's a back to the basket player and was in high school.
I doubt he's seen 10 minutes all season at the same time as Brooks and Hare.
Nik is not physically equipped for being a PF. He's a swingman, or a SF. So if a team ran a four guard offense, you'd say some 6'3" guy was a power forward? Wow!
Understand this, and Hurley agrees with me....this team does NOT have a true forward on it. Nik is almost as thin as Hare, but you want
toughness out of him? Amazing.
He's supposed to morph into Jeff Ruland, because he's playing that position, which isn't close to being a natural one for him.
Sweep, I loved Kenny Green. I feel sorry that he's stuck in the Middle East and can't come home.
You make my point for me. Nik is no more equipped to play the 4 on defense at this point than Hare is to play the 5. They've been forced into these roles out of necessity. Come crunch time they're playing Powell, Munford, Malone, Malesevic and Hare. Who does that leave to guard the 4? Nik, whether he's a power forward or not. They need him to do it. At times, he has. At other times -- more often than not, actually -- he has not.
And the Celtics used to have a certain back to the basket player named Kevin McHale. Did that make him a 5? No. He was one of the best power forwards in the history of the NBA. Playing with your back to the basket doesn't automatically make you a 5.
Last edited by 3wisemen 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

He has had the worst luck. His bad knees cost him a permanent NBA roster spot. He was that talented.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

OK Wiseman, then where the hell is Hare supposed to play, if not center?
We're getting to the point of the ridiculous.
Let's just agree to disagree.
As for Powell and TJ, I have said Powell has worked to improve his game, to his credit.
He's done fine, but he's not a world beater, as evidenced by the last three games. TJ is a hard working
role player and will always be a role player for this team.
Not every roster spot is a star, or a star in the making.
Some are, some are supposed to be and never become one, some develop beyond expectations,
and some never improve.
It's been that way since the game began.
Sweep, if Kenny had two good knees, he'd have been an NBA All Star. He had that Kevin Garnett
attitude, and was his best in big games.
I remember the first time I saw him, just before they redshirted him.
He wore thick glasses and had these huge knee pads, all of which made him look like a young
Satch Sanders.
I remember wondering, "What did Brendan Malone bring in, with this guy?"
What a player he was! He could shoot, drive, dunk, pass, rebound and play wicked defense.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

I agree that TJ is a role player. Solid defender and a good slasher. With better post weapons, he could exploit that more. I love role players, they make teams more complete and keep the scorers on the team happy as they don't take away their shots.

Complete big man is an understatement.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote:Regarding Munford, does the fact an NBA GM was looking at him matter to GBG?

FootBasket‏@Foot_Basket

Xavier Munford is a player to watch here. Spurs GM RC Buford in attendance taking notes of the URI guard. #ButlerURI
Also heard that a scout from the Raptors was there to see X as well.

BUT HE TAKES TOO MANY SHOTS!!!!1111!!!!!
0 x