The students came...

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

The students came...

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Will it continue? I'm guessing it was the first game a lot of them have attended. Do they go go back to their dorms/frats/sororities/houses and tell their friends how great it was, resulting in building the fan base even more? Or do they go back and say it sucked and never go back? The marketing dept. and Dan did a great job getting the kids to come to this game. The question is, does it continue?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: The students came...

Unread post by Blue Man »

Next Saturday at 2pm will be a test...a weekend game for a suitcase school against the bonnies.

I think Dayton and X will pull big crowds as well.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

for some reason students don't go to weekend games, probably drunk/hung over/gone home
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

I hope it continues, but it wont reach that level again until we start winning. I would be satisfied seeing the first two levels relatively full and students making some noise. As we all know winning is what will get a consistent student presence at the games. The winning will come and the students will with it, but with last season as bad as it was and this season not being the best, its tough to grab the students attention. The student body does not really have the most school spirit anyway. I mean, how can you when your football team is atrocious and the basketball team has never been a highly successful program in the years they have been here. It will be a uphill battle, but if the team starts off strong next year and we have a solid season, students will definitely make the trip to the Ryan Center.
0 x
Plyuri02
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Plyuri02 »

Weekend games are tough. We lived "Down the Line" and it was challenging to mentally want to drive back to Kingston on a Sat. However that was when we played at Keaney and when Jerry D was coaching so that probably had a lot to do with it. Driving 25 mins to watch Zach Marbury drive the lane and get stuffed over and over was not a fun way to spend a Sat.
This administration should have a different affect on the students. I'd absolutely drive to campus to watch Hurley sweat through a blazer! Dude is an animal and I relish the opportunity to be part of the rebuilding. I sat in the alumni section last night and even though the older gentlemen behind me asked me to sit down numerous times, I still had a blast. Great to see the passion back in this program!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Plyuri02 wrote: I sat in the alumni section last night and even though the older gentlemen behind me asked me to sit down numerous times,
Next time, turn around kindly tell that gentleman to watch the game on his couch then.

Other than that I agree, students never want to go back to campus, and the ones that are on campus go home. Kinda sad, but if this were VCU on a saturday I think it'd be packed anyway.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

i had no problems going to weekend games as a student but then again i went to every game back then.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

They should have a couple of buses leave from Eastward Look for every game...Easier for kids to drink and not worry about driving as well...
0 x
Clapton is God
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

gorhody89 wrote:They should have a couple of buses leave from Eastward Look for every game...Easier for kids to drink and not worry about driving as well...
That would be a good idea. May have to wait a few years for this one to really work, since the product on the court will have to be good enough to get that many kids that want to go but I think its a pretty good idea once the interest is there.

I would however feel very bad for those bus drivers.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

When I was in school in the '70s, URI used to have school buses to take us to the Dunk. It got a little rowdy, but nothing out of hand.
I don't think it's a big deal for students to drive from Bonnet or wherever to catch weekend games. But things have changed in terms of students actually interacting with other people instead of, say, their iPhones/Pads.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramblinrose wrote:When I was in school in the '70s, URI used to have school buses to take us to the Dunk. It got a little rowdy, but nothing out of hand.
I don't think it's a big deal for students to drive from Bonnet or wherever to catch weekend games. But things have changed in terms of students actually interacting with other people instead of, say, their iPhones/Pads.
Yes, and I remember PC fans trying to tip our bus over....assholes.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So overall attendance was highest since Senior Night 2009-10 (NIT Semi-Final year) when 6984 filled the Ryan Center. Of course, I'm not including last year's sellout vs Providence College.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Didn't see anyone post this, but Dan Hurley put a thank you video together for the students who helped make the Ryan Center so loud Wednesday vs VCU:
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund