TJ Buchanan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Re: TJ Buchanan

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

If Danny Hurley, bobby Hurley, and Preston Murphy really thought there was anyone else on this team that could at least somewhat run the offense our pg wouldn't be averaging 38 mins a game. There is not.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

15 Year Lurker wrote:Um because if you try something different we will lose by 50. They're doing a great job being competitive with a team that was decimated.
Well then at least we'd know for sure :D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ballallday »

Iggy1979 wrote:Yes. Great is the new standard. URI fans have already seen good and that didn't cut it. If Mike can lead URI into the tournament that would be great. The only opinion on Mike that counts is Hurleys
Iggy:

For the sake of the board, all opinoins matter.
It's fun to here what diehards have to say.
so folks , please don't think my comments are
personal. I love being on the board from time to time
in my down time.

Although I enjoy the games, and I have my opinions
on a lot, I don't comment on other players. I just
love the vibe here and hopefully Mike is coming
back to URI as an alumn after a championship , or two.

" I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
is trying to please everyone"

Now let's beat Butler, St Louis did it.:)
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Blue Man wrote:As much of a troll post as that was...I'm actually starting to buy into some of what I said.

Really the point I'm trying to make is why not just see what happens with a different starter for a game or two?

They'll both be here next year, why not see what can happen when there really aren't any consequences this year? I think no matter how bad Mike plays this year, he's head and shoulders better than he was last year. But just because you're coached by Bobby Hurley doesn't mean you'll become Bobby Hurley.

And I'm probably wrong, and players make huge jumps during their careers, but the freshman/soph jump is usually the biggest. I am very confident he'll get better moving forward, especially with how hard he's been working and who our coaches are, but not THAT much better.

I just don't see him as the starter moving forward. I see him as a key role guy and ballhandler to give a rest to whoever the starter is - but I don't see him as more than a 15 min/game guy. He's not the guy I want handling the ball in pressure situations with the game on the line.

All I'm saying is why not try something different just to see?

PS - The similarities between Aaman start and stop at effort and hustle. They both are animals in those categories. Aaman is a world away in terms of skill and potential though.
Again, how do you go from being the primary ballhandler for 2 or 3 possessions a game because the starter desperately needs a couple of minutes of rest to being the starter? Wouldn't the first step be for TJ to actually be the true backup and be the primary ball handler for say 10 minutes a game? Clearly the coaching staff isn't comfortable with even 10 minutes at this point, but they're going to make him a starting point guard "to see what happens".
I actually see ball handling as Powell's strength, I think he has a long way to go in other areas but he's rarely stripped and is usually great at bringing the ball up versus pressure. VCU was a different level of pressure, the way to beat that press is spread everyone out and make passes. Powell's struggles came when he was abandoned in the backcourt and got trapped. Clearly, there will be a battle for the starting point guard position next year but TJ won't be in it.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Just heard Dan mention on the Mews show that TJ had surgery on his foot. I didn't know that.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

BFC - i didn't think through the whole post, and a much more rational stance would be that they split time 70/30 or 60/40 at the 1 and see what happens.

I just feel like the rest of the year is such a crap shoot...why not just change things and see what happens?

None of this is based in reality or rationality..that's the fun of a message board :-D
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

ballallday wrote:
Iggy1979 wrote:Yes. Great is the new standard. URI fans have already seen good and that didn't cut it. If Mike can lead URI into the tournament that would be great. The only opinion on Mike that counts is Hurleys
Iggy:

For the sake of the board, all opinoins matter.
It's fun to here what diehards have to say.
so folks , please don't think my comments are
personal. I love being on the board from time to time
in my down time.

Although I enjoy the games, and I have my opinions
on a lot, I don't comment on other players. I just
love the vibe here and hopefully Mike is coming
back to URI as an alumn after a championship , or two.

" I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
is trying to please everyone"

Now let's beat Butler, St Louis did it.:)
I would like to add that Mike has bought into the new coaching staff and his effort has been consistently outstanding.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ballallday
Abdul Fox

Unread post by ballallday »

Blue Man wrote:I would like to add that Mike has bought into the new coaching staff and his effort has been consistently outstanding.
Iggy:

Mike didn't buy in.
Heck, you don't buy in to certain
kinds of coaches. You do as you
are told, if you want to be on
the floor.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Giving MikeP fewer minutes would improve his game. Do we get better PG play by giving some of MikeP's minutes to TJ? I never favored giving TJ the starting PG job at this time.

I thought that the situation was that TJ had not been 100% and was now getting back to 100%. Playing MikeP 38Mins may have been the best alternative when TJ was at 80%, but not when TJ was playing at 100%. TJ having foot surgery is news that may end conversation about giving TJ more minutes.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Am I missing something, or did TJ JUST have surgery, or was it a while ago, and he's recovered from that?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

it was over the summer
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

But TJ isn't a point guard! Does anyone get that?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:But TJ isn't a point guard! Does anyone get that?
I do.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

We know TJ isnt a PURE point guard, but I havent seen a game where he looked out of place calling plays and hamdling the ball. His height and size could cuase mis-matches as well
0 x
GO RAMS
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Powell over TJ but TJ is coming along as a good back up PG/SG
0 x
GO RAMS
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

TJ will be fine. Hurley loves his work ethic and his attitude.
There will always be a place for someone like TJ, just not as a starting point guiard.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

If TJ can improve his scoring, he could be a very effective 6th man. That's always been my favorite position. He's certainly intelligent enough to make in-game adjustments, is a good defender and he can play different positions.
Being such a team player, I think he could feel comfortable in that role.
Whether he is or not, i still love this kid.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I liked what I saw of TJ, good bench guy
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Tom Penders ‏@TomPenders
@JonRothstein When Powell stays low and gets a crack going left he's unstoppable.. Must stay low with the ball.! He's learning.

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Mike Powell is going to have two high level years for URI at PG when he's a junior + senior. Has vastly improved from last season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

TJ the glue guy??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938