Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Obadiah »

OK, I’m a little late on opening this thread. The A-10 took a hit in the rankings as two losses by VCU last week assured that they would drop from the Top 25. Butler continues to be ranked in both polls, # 9 in the AP and # 10 in the USA Today Coaches poll. La Salle is getting some votes along with VCU.

Tough week coming up for URI as they play the two A-10 newcomers VCU at the Ryan Center and Butler at Hinkle.

Last Saturday’s loss to Fordham was a bad loss which tells us that URI will not make the trip to Barclay’s. Fordham and Duquesne are probably the other two candidates to be left out, but the identity of the fourth team looks to a battle among several schools.

A-10 action tonight, in addition to URI –VCU:

Richmond at Temple.
St Joseph’s at Fordham.
UMass at La Salle
Dayton at Xavier

In OOC action:

Vermont at Hartford
Seton Hall at Georgetown
Auburn at Georgia
Georgia State at Northeastern
SMU at Marshall
St. Mary’s at San Francisco
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Temple, Joe's and UMass all early winners.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No upsets in the a10 tonight
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Umass over la salle was an upset and a nice win by the mnutemen
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Definitely.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

URI OOC opponents went 4-2 last night with Seton Hall and Auburn being the losers and Vermont, St. Mary's, SMU and Georgia State winning. Georgia State 78-73 victory over Northeastern ended the Huskies' 8 win start to their CAA season. A crowd of 1,845 watched at NE's Matthews Arena.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Tonight's actionIn action tonight:

In the lone A-10 of the evening, St. Louis leads Butler in the early going.

George Mason with a twenty point lead late in the first half, faltered badly in second half on its home court to lose, 58-54, to Drexel.

Canisius beat Loyola (MD), 91-79. All the Griffs' five starters scored in double digits. Billy Baron put in 16 points and had 7 assists.

In a barn burner of a game that went into overtime, UConn outlasted PC, 82-79. Great effort by the Friars.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

That UConn-Providence was very entertaining. UConn was out-rebounded 49-21 but got the win. Huskies did not foul up three, and it almost cost them, shot was in and out.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ace wrote:That UConn-Providence was very entertaining. UConn was out-rebounded 49-21 but got the win. Huskies did not foul up three, and it almost cost them, shot was in and out.
Get it right, Ace (sarcasm). PC out-rebounded UCONN 55-24 and still lost. Cooley benched Council for the first 9+ minutes to prove a point about playing defense/accountability and PC got down 25-10. I don't think it made a huge difference, Council fouled out in the 1st 5 seconds of OT and PC had the gap all but closed by halftime.

One of the most exciting games I have seen/experienced in a long time. PC choked though (typical).
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ace wrote:That UConn-Providence was very entertaining. UConn was out-rebounded 49-21 but got the win. Huskies did not foul up three, and it almost cost them, shot was in and out.
Get it right, Ace (sarcasm). PC out-rebounded UCONN 55-24 and still lost. Cooley benched Council for the first 9+ minutes to prove a point about playing defense/accountability and PC got down 25-10. I don't think it made a huge difference, Council fouled out in the 1st 5 seconds of OT and PC had the gap all but closed by halftime.

One of the most exciting games I have seen/experienced in a long time. PC choked though (typical).
What? Why so hostile? Or are you my former English teacher who would rage against the use of the passive voice?

I said UConn was out-rebounded 49-21 (49- 21 are the numbers in the ESPN box score).

me saying UConn was out-rebounded = you saying Providence out-rebounded UConn
Last edited by ace 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

What? Why so hostile?

I said UConn was out-rebounded 49-21 (49- 21 are the numbers in the ESPN box score).

I hate internet tonality --- I was just messin with you brotha ... I think it's more embarrassing that we outrebounded them by 31 (which is all I meant to reference - worse than the 28 you had lol), had 28 offensive rebounds to their 5, and still lost the game.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
ace wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:

What? Why so hostile?

I hate internet tonality --- I was just messin with you brotha ... I think it's more embarrassing that we outrebounded them by 31 (which is all I meant to reference - worse than the 28 you had lol), had 28 offensive rebounds to their 5, and still lost the game.
sista, actually- but ok, gotcha
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

SLU just smashed Butler 75-58 in St. Louis
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

twisted3829 wrote:SLU just smashed Butler 75-58 in St. Louis
Of course they did, because everything this year in college basketball makes no sense at all. I love it!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

ace wrote:
sista, actually- but ok, gotcha
My apologies, clearly I've been on the crap end of everything tonight, why change that now? :D
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Right, I had forgotten about UMASS over LaSalle no doubt an upset

Great win by STL !!
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

A-10 is becoming more like the Big East. Butler and VCU were mainstays in the Top 25, then conference play begins and teams start beating up on each other.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

So with URI heading to Hinkle this weekend...... "...you're tellin' me there's a chance"
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

seems like a little trouble on smith street

a senior PG and program mainstay for 4 years getting benched, not a good sign.

providence should be winning more games.

what happened to Sidiki? has the preacher already worn out his welcome with his current team? would love to hear from the friar faithful that are tolerable. that would be you sean, and superfly
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Cooley is also upset at VC tweeting his plight to two former PC
players, who questioned Cooley's loyalty to VC.
Cooley said his players are not allowed to talk about basketball
in social media.
Probably a good policy, which Hurley seems to have implemented, too.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

VC just tweeted, Coleman and Giplaye I think responded to it, but I dont think VC tweeted to them specifically.

Yes not a good idea for VC to air his dirty laundry on social media, but that is my point....a senior starting PG should not be a cancer unless there is something going on behind closed doors.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Cooley is doing what he has to do to keep and maintain control over his team -- lets be honest -- this season is a lost one, so you need to set the table for next year. Rumor have it that they might have been out having a few drinks the night before a game. So did they deserve to be benched for the start? You tell me, especially if it is team rules.

Henton got in after 3 minutes. Council got in after 9+. Council was also running his mouth on twitter about being benched, which played into it. So did Cooley do the right thing?

I don't think it's necessary a sign of him losing control. The team played well, they are still playing the Cooley way. I don't mind the benching, since it kept some guys like Council fresh until the end of the game. And lets be honest, he still fouled out 5 seconds into OT ... It's not like he really left minutes on the bench. PC was in the game for 23 minutes of regulation and all of OT, have to convert when you have the chances. It's also holding them accountable for other things -- like their lackluster defense.

As for Sidiki, there are a lot of fatal flaws in his game (FT %, zero ball movement) that make it really hard to play in a close game when you need more defense and better shot selection. It's not like he has wowed and deserved playing time, plus we don't know what is going on behind the scenes. Kid played 3 minutes against Louisville, maybe 10 against BC, dont think he got much run against 'SHU either. Cooley seems to like him more in certain matchups, and with PC outrebounding UCONN by 31, was his biggest and only consistent asset necessary?

All things said, with all those problems, PC should have won by double digits.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i dont get the notion that this is a lost season for PC heading into it.
you have a good amount of talent. experience in the back court. last year was the lost season, saying this year is too seems to be giving Cooley a long leash. so is next year the year for high expectations? i assume then that all hopes are hinging on Mr Ledo because what other major changes are coming? i hope for ed's sake and the rest of the fan base he actually suits up.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

We seem to be playing the top teams right after they get upset.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:i dont get the notion that this is a lost season for PC heading into it.
you have a good amount of talent. experience in the back court. last year was the lost season, saying this year is too seems to be giving Cooley a long leash. so is next year the year for high expectations? i assume then that all hopes are hinging on Mr Ledo because what other major changes are coming? i hope for ed's sake and the rest of the fan base he actually suits up.
I mean, I think it was basically lost going into the Big East. They lost two winnable games against Brown and Boston College, and winnable is an understatement. Let's be honest, their ceiling for Big East wins was roughly 8 games -- and with all of the injuries and struggles early on entering BE, it basically became 6. There were just too many pieces entering the equation, especially with a few who need to develop chemistry in game situations. With an 8-4 record entering conference, looking at best basically a 6-12 conference record, that would give you a 14-16 regular season record before BET.

Maybe lost is a little strong, but with a young team and all the injuries, they are basically trying to develop a culture for next year. There are still 3 guys not playing on the bench who will all be key role players, top of the rotation guys for the most part. Ledo is iffy at best, but Dunn missed a whole college offseason plus OOC. And Brandon Austin is a Top 40 recruit at the moment. Everyone is sleeping on Rajay, who I think might really surprise some people. The tools are there, he's a former 5*. Cooley is still working hard to get some "talents" to buy in on the defense end, but the bench is still not that deep. Heck, Bancroft played 24 minutes, a walkon, and PC almost beat UCONN. Cooley is trying to set the tone, you work hard, you play right, you get minutes.

It's tough, because when is accountability too much? It's tough when it leads to a walkon playing 24 minutes because he is the 4th/5th guard on the roster.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Council obviously isn't a Cooley recruit either, so similar to Malesevic / Brooks with Hurley, I think it's more that they have to coexist for a year or two. Also, with Council's injuries, I imagine it hasn't been easy for him to reintegrate into the lineup, and defense (at least when I've had my own minor bumps and bruises) is tougher to play following an injury than offense.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i see things i would be concerned with half way through Year 2.

you have 3 quasi PGs who are all talented and you guys committed 18 TOs against UConn, who is not the UConn they used to be. you say you are young, but you arent really that young this year. Your 3 best scorers, Council, Cotton and Batts are Seniors and Juniors. Your next best player is a Soph who played a ton as a FR. So 80% of your starting lineup have been in ECs system for 18 months. Please dont pin your hopes on Carson Desrosiers or Tyler Harris, you will be disappointed. I dont get those 2 transfers to be honest, unless EC wants to play a half court game.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Cotton is not a BE level pg. Dunn is coming off injury. If Ledo stays; this team will be fine.
I thought thus was an nit team if everything broke right. This season has been a nightmare.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

I remember the talk was with Ledo you guys were a legit NCAA team, possibly ranked during the season? do you still feel that way, just curious.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:I remember the talk was with Ledo you guys were a legit NCAA team, possibly ranked during the season? do you still feel that way, just curious.
As of right now, very close.

PC doesn't have a true "scorer", a go-to guy that you can give the ball at the end of the game and tell them to make a play.

Cotton is a shooter with some slashing ability, but he is basically a set-catch-shoot guy.

If you ask me, with Ledo, I think we are 16-4 right now instead of 10-11. Maybe overly optimistic, but at worse PC is 15-5.

I mean, look at the losses. PC doesn't lose to BC/Brown with Ledo. They dont' lose to UMASS with Ledo (but probably NC St. and Tennessee) to still go 1-2 in Puerto Rico. They beat DePaul at home, and likely win at least 2 out of 3 (UCONN/Syracuse/Pittsburgh).

If PC is say 15-5 right now, there are 4 sure-fire winnable games (@ USF, @ Rutgers, St. John's, Seton Hall). @ Villanova and @ UCONN also would be winnable. PC probably ends up 10-8 in conference at a minimum (because that says no further upsets; splits UCONN/Villanova), and now is 20-10, getting a higher seed in the BET to finish probably 21-11. If my thought of 16-4, 11-7 in conference, 22-10 overall after BET.

Maybe NCAA, definite bubble, high NIT.

Maybe thats an overly optimistic look, but Ricky Ledo is a gamer, anyone who has seen him play knows what difference he would be making.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

High school game, but St. Anthony (and their 83 game winning streak) vs St. Benedict's should be a great one tonight.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:High school game, but St. Anthony (and their 83 game winning streak) vs St. Benedict's should be a great one tonight.
Is it possible to watch that one online or TV somewhere?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

adam914 wrote:
ace wrote:High school game, but St. Anthony (and their 83 game winning streak) vs St. Benedict's should be a great one tonight.
Not that I know of; game time is 8 o'clock. I'm just glad the two schools can play each other now. There was an unofficial Hurley family agreement that kept that from happening before.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

bigappleram wrote:I remember the talk was with Ledo you guys were a legit NCAA team, possibly ranked during the season? do you still feel that way, just curious.
With a healthy Council and Ledo; I think this team would be ranked.

Ledo is that good.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

that's a big leap sean, I have seen him play on a few occasions. it is VERY rare for any FR to have that type of impact. you are saying he alone would get you from the bottom of the big east to the upper middle or top of BE in order to be ranked. council has to be close to 90% from what i have seen lately, if not better.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

seanmc94 wrote:
With a healthy Council and Ledo; I think this team would be ranked.

Ledo is that good.
Would you consider Ledo better than Noel and PC better than Kentucky in this scenario? Kentucky has had a hard time staying ranked with Noel on the team and they've played a comparable schedule (according to SOS at least).
Last edited by adam914 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like Ledo is the next Michael Jordan!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Only game tonight is Brown at Dartmouth.

In Saturday action in the A-10, in addition to URI at #9 Butler:

La Salle at GW
Dayton at St. Louis
UMass at Charlotte
Duquesne at St. Bonaventure
Xavier at Richmond
Temple at St. Joseph’s
Fordham at VCU

In OOC action:

#24 Cincinnati at Seton Hall
#11 Ohio State at Nebraska
Virginia Tech at North Carolina
Auburn at #17 Missouri
Old Dominion at Georgia State
Loyola (MD) at Niagara
Houston at SMU
George Mason at James Madison
Norfolk State at Coppin State
Brown at Harvard
Portland at St. Mary’s
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Although not teams we have played, I am really looking forward to this Indiana/Michigan game tomorrow. Should be a good one.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

agree with that. great game.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Ledo is good. He is not, however, the second coming. :P
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:
here is the game:
http://www.ihigh.com/stbenedicts/broadc ... verlight=1
Last edited by twisted3829 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

game starts at 845
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:Ledo is good. He is not, however, the second coming. :P
I don't think my 16-5 (made a mistake initially) thought doesn't indicate him to be the 2nd coming ...

Look at PC's 11 losses ...

UMASS by 2
Puerto Rico Game 2
BC by 3
Brown by 2
Louisville by 18
DePaul by 10
Syracuse by 6
Georgetown by 9
Pitt by 4
Marquette by 10
UCONN by 3

The only games I would have deemed them out of would be Louisville, Georgetown, and Marquette. I think they lose 2 in Puerto Rico either way, just to better competition. Tell me Ledo doesn't make a difference in all of those close games? Kid is a future NBA lottery pick.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We'll see. If he plays next year, and is as good as people think he is, then bye-bye after next year?

He might have to go to the NBA, depending on his eligibilty. For him to be a lottery pick, he'd better deliver next year, then.

Potential is one thing. Performing to that potential is something else.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rambone 78 wrote:We'll see. If he plays next year, and is as good as people think he is, then bye-bye after next year?

He might have to go to the NBA, depending on his eligibilty. For him to be a lottery pick, he'd better deliver next year, then.

Potential is one thing. Performing to that potential is something else.
I agree, Ledo won't have a problem with that -- If it weren't for questions about his maturity, he would have been an easy top 10 5-star players. That said, going 4-14 in conference won't turn him into a lottery player. PC will likely need to be a few games over .500 in conference and competing for the NCAA Tournament.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Wow! St. Anthony's lost. First loss in years.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Wow! St. Anthony's lost. First loss in years.
March of 2010, an amazing run! The last time St. Anthony lost, Dan was still coaching at St. Benedict's.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ennis plays for Benedict's, am I right?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Billyboy78 wrote:Ennis plays for Benedict's, am I right?
Yeah, Briscoe, too. Each team has 3 or 4 players already committed to D1 schools.
0 x