Week #13 - Games of Interest

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: Week #13 - Games of Interest

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ace wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:Ennis plays for Benedict's, am I right?
Yeah, Briscoe, too. Each team has 3 or 4 players already committed to D1 schools.
I saw them on TV a couple of times last year. I love Ennis' game and Briscoe was quite a freshman last year. He must be something to be so young and be a star on one of the best HS teams in the country.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

In last night's action, Brown won at Dartmouth, 62-50, on a dominating performance by the Bruins' sophomore center, Rafael Maia, who put in 21 points on 10-11 FG shooting. Jordan Hare take note.

As an aside, in game pitting two 6-16 teams, Siena beat Manhattan, 66-63 in Albany. The game was played before a crowd of 6,098. Amazing attendance given the circumstances!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. Sienna's got some hard core fans up there.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

The game was on espnu
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'm watching the Cincinnati-Seton Hall game, where they honored the 92-93 team that won the Big East. Guess Danny had other plans.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Virginia Tech fell in OT to UNC, 72-60. The Hokies fell apart in the extra session..
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

And Ledo has not guaranteed that he's coming back next year- he still could, of course, but if I'm a fan, I'd prefer something a bit more solid.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Oh boy... I'd like to hear Superfly's and Sean's analysis on this Sidiki news.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I don't want to delve into PC's business, but
Cooley seems to have a lot of internal problems going on.
Council isn't happy. Cooley blasts Henton in public and he's not played
the same since Brown. Ledo is playing footsies with the NBA draft.
His recruiting didn't go all that well this year.
Now Johnson bails,after being a disappointment.
All this sounds like trouble in paradise.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Anybody know the reason for Johnson's voluntary leave of absence?
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ATPTourFan wrote:Oh boy... I'd like to hear Superfly's and Sean's analysis on this Sidiki news.
His leaving is being characterized as his choice and for personal reasons. He's a 20 year old young man, so you have to hope things can be ok for him. But, with his history, it makes him hard to count on as part of your program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Most don't know, but Dan Hurley coached him at one time.
He said, if Cooley couldn't make it work with Johnson, nobody could.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:I don't want to delve into PC's business, but
Cooley seems to have a lot of internal problems going on.
Council isn't happy. Cooley blasts Henton in public and he's not played
the same since Brown. Ledo is playing footsies with the NBA draft.
His recruiting didn't go all that well this year.
Now Johnson bails,after being a disappointment.
All this sounds like trouble in paradise.
For a guy who doesn't want to delve into PC business; you sure did; surprising to no one getting most of it wrong.

VC is frustrated; you would too if your nba dreams got dashed by a fluke injury. Ledo has been playing footsie since day one. Nothing new here. Sidiki was a wild card from day one as well. Henton has struggled this year. Period. Nothing to do with EC blasting him.
Struggling with recruiting? According to who? He signed a top 50 guy and another solid player.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:Most don't know, but Dan Hurley coached him at one time.
He said, if Cooley couldn't make it work with Johnson, nobody could.
Yep, Sidiki and Myck both left when Hurley left St. Benedict's.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Cooley blasted Henton after he scored 37 points or whatever at Brown.
That 24 points in a row was as awesome a display as I've ever seen. How was that struggling?
A lot of the recruiting targets went elsewhere.
2-7 in the Big East. Is that what you expected, Sean?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

call it like it is sean...this season is a major disappointment for Friar fans.
If Ledo goes pro you guys are Facked!
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

rodfromcranston wrote:Cooley blasted Henton after he scored 37 points or whatever at Brown.
That 24 points in a row was as awesome a display as I've ever seen. How was that struggling?
A lot of the recruiting targets went elsewhere.
2-7 in the Big East. Is that what you expected, Sean?
Brandon Austin was PCs top priority and he was landed.

Depth at bigs can still be shored up.
One game doesn't mean jack. Watch ALL the games Rod. Henton has been erratic. When your guy goes off for a huge game as well, you will hear about it.

2-7 is disappointing. PC has been in most games. BC and Brown were awful losses. Team has fought through a ton of adversity this year.

Injuries have been a big part of things. Team is showing no quit.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

PC showing up today, thank god for Keno's boys - Cotton and Fortune.

I think it was superfly who downplayed Cotton's abilities, to excuse the season. For my money he is a very good college player, would take him on my team anytime. All the intangibles and a helluva shooter.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

I hope and pray that next year turns out better than year 2 did for our neighbors to the North.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

PC may blow it, they were up 9 with minutes to play (52-43) and were tied up at 52 with 10 seconds to play.

Cotton hits a 3 with 2.2 seconds left that may save the game for PC
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote:PC showing up today, thank god for Keno's boys - Cotton and Fortune.

I think it was superfly who downplayed Cotton's abilities, to excuse the season. For my money he is a very good college player, would take him on my team anytime. All the intangibles and a helluva shooter.
BAR,

Thinly veiled shot at EC. Keep in mind it was Cooley that convinced cotton to stay last year and evaluated fortune and decided he was worth a scholly.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

bigappleram wrote: I think it was superfly who downplayed Cotton's abilities, to excuse the season. For my money he is a very good college player, would take him on my team anytime. All the intangibles and a helluva shooter.
Cotton is a shooter, not a scorer. I'm sorry that's how I feel. That shot he hit today was huge, and I love Bryce, but typically when it comes time to make a play at the end of the game, he is running off of screens to try to get open, and that is not what a "scorer" usually does. I definitely don't use Cotton's ability as an excuse for the season, but appreciate the awful defense by 'Nova (truly inexcusable). Defender should have been in his face and respected the drive way too much.

He's a catch and shoot type of player for the most part -- there is a need for that on every team, but that doesn't take a team to the next level unless you have the "playmaker" getting him the ball, and after four years, pretty clear that playmaker isn't Vincent Council.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Fly, is Council still hurting?
I thought he was a terrific player before this season.
Cotton? I wish we had him.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Essam wrote:I hope and pray that next year turns out better than year 2 did for our neighbors to the North.
Different circumstances my friend -- I don't use this as an excuse, but Coach Ed really has only had one recruiting class of "his guys." Henton is the only player he brought in year 1 (Kiwi was ineligible), so everyone else he brought in Year 2 is a freshman or sitting as a transfer. You can only rely on a handful of freshman to be truly consistent in the college basketball world.

Flip it, Hurley has already gotten in a lot of "his" guys. He has a great recruiting class for year 2, but just look at the transfer list. With those guys practicing and getting ready for next year, that gives Coach H some weapons at his disposal for year 2.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:Fly, is Council still hurting?
I thought he was a terrific player before this season.
Cotton? I wish we had him.
If he is hurting, it is minimal. Council is getting hurt by the same things that have plagued him in the past.

His shooting %'s aren't great, and he isn't a great 3 point shooter or FT guy.

He is best running in transition, and is basically having his best year assist wise. He averages 7 assists (before today) in 30 minutes, and last year was at 7.5 apg in 39 minutes. He is also averaging about 1 less turnover per game (before today, so that will change).

Problem with VC is that he has always been a defensive liability and struggles in a half-court offense, and with Coach Cooley returning all but him, it's hard to really change things around because he is trying to set the table. His decision-making at the end of games has also always been terrible. He just can't create.

As for Cotton, I don't want to make it seem like he is a loser or I hate him. I just think having a guy like Ledo who can create his own shot and create for others is something any good, above-average team needs. Cotton may be the Ray Allen, but the winners need a Lebron or Pierce to say good night consistently and close games out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I always felt Pierce had it in his contract to take the last shot, which he's missed far more often than not.
James' last shot percentage is less than 30%.
I loved Ray Allen, and he was always clutch. The best shooter in NBA history.
He could go to the basket and create his own shots in Seattle, when he was younger.
Nobody gets their shot off quicker than Allen, and he is a winner in my book.
Anyway, if Council is as deficient as you say, why do so many
hold him in high regard?
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

rodfromcranston wrote:I always felt Pierce had it in his contract to take the last shot, which he's missed far more often than not.
He could go to the basket and create his own shots in Seattle, when he was younger.
hold him in high regard?
Hey I'm with you Rod, I love Ray Allen as well. Cotton has developed incredibly, but sometimes against BE level athletes, his main way of scoring is by catching and shooting. His release is lightning quick, and he has been very accurate, I don't know, just don't feel like with him as your #1 offensive weapon, that there are not enough tools there to make big plays consistently when it matters. When you are 6'0 and lack an off-the-dribble mid range game (consistently speaking), it makes it hard to create for yourself when it matters.

As for Council, I think it's become more evident as the team has made strides defensively that Council is a real weak link. When no one was playing defense (like under Keno and even last year), he just sort of blended in. Now that PC has a Top 100 defense (or so says KenPom), his deficiency becomes even more obvious. In regards to his offensive ability, I think he always got the pass that, "Well look at his stats with no weapons, it could only be better with more guys around him." However, that has not changed his bad shot selection, or late game deficiencies (which he was able to hide until last year). He was also always given the pass, "Well when you play 40 minutes a game, you fatigue easier," but now that he is playing less minutes (about 10 less per game), that excuse also begins to fall out.

I feel like some people get too caught up in the numbers (ignoring the fact he was playing 39 minutes per game last year), and miss what other guys in less time put up. I've gotten in many fights on the Scout boards because I am an advocate of "stats per 40 minutes," at least in comparing players of similar talent or competition.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:I always felt Pierce had it in his contract to take the last shot, which he's missed far more often than not.
hold him in high regard?
Hey I'm with you Rod, I love Ray Allen as well. Cotton has developed incredibly, but sometimes against BE level athletes, his main way of scoring is by catching and shooting. His release is lightning quick, and he has been very accurate, I don't know, just don't feel like with him as your #1 offensive weapon, that there are not enough tools there to make big plays consistently when it matters. When you are 6'0 and lack an off-the-dribble mid range game (consistently speaking), it makes it hard to create for yourself when it matters.

As for Council, I think it's become more evident as the team has made strides defensively that Council is a real weak link. When no one was playing defense (like under Keno and even last year), he just sort of blended in. Now that PC has a Top 100 defense (or so says KenPom), his deficiency becomes even more obvious. In regards to his offensive ability, I think he always got the pass that, "Well look at his stats with no weapons, it could only be better with more guys around him." However, that has not changed his bad shot selection, or late game deficiencies (which he was able to hide until last year). He was also always given the pass, "Well when you play 40 minutes a game, you fatigue easier," but now that he is playing less minutes (about 10 less per game), that excuse also begins to fall out.

I feel like some people get too caught up in the numbers (ignoring the fact he was playing 39 minutes per game last year), and miss what other guys in less time put up. I've gotten in many fights on the Scout boards because I am an advocate of "stats per 40 minutes," at least in comparing players of similar talent or competition.
RJ, I think that's a fair and even analysis of Council. If you want to make a small excuse about his defense, he has been hurt for a lot of his PC career, so that can make it tough to play defense, which I've always thought is the end you need to be healthiest on to excel at. Council has struck me as a guy that's an above-average player on a good team, not a star, but the per-game statistics were misleading in the past because *someone* on those teams needed to score. (Similar comparison, one that will make GBG happy - Xavier Munford will probably have a career high in points per game this year, just because he's the best player on a bad team, but hopefully the decrease in future years is mitigated by gains in efficiency, defense and per minute stats.)
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:Xavier Munford will probably have a career high in points per game this year, just because he's the best player on a bad team, but hopefully the decrease in future years is mitigated by gains in efficiency, defense and per minute stats.)
I don't think anyone would disagree with that regarding Munford. I do think it's easy, across sports, to fall into the trap of blaming the better players on a bad team, even when they're the farthest thing from the actual problem.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

When Ed Cooley was recruiting last year he had a ton of minutes to offer to guys like Obekpa and Sampson.....and frontcourt minutes...and he swung and missed on these targets....then he had to take transfers who had to sit a year when he needed big kids this year....

.....he successfully recruited Dunn with the transition from Fairfield to PC.....we were considered a leader for Dunn before the summer leading up to his senior year and then he blew up......Cooley's ascension to PC from Fairfield helped keep Dunn interested in playing for him....we lost any chance at him with his monster summer as BCS schools came calling....

.....Ledo is Ledo....the story is well known about his PC recruitment from Keno Davis days and the draw of playing at home....if he ever plays in college....

....Fortune was a Davis signee that Cooley held serve with.....Sidiki Johnson had character issues while at his first college....Henton fell into Cooley's lap after the coach at Dayton left and there may have been a Michigan based assist there.....

I am not really impressed with his recruiting.....

.....if Hurley swings and misses at his targets next year and takes more transfers I will be dismayed....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I'd be very comfortable with Hurley taking a transfer for 13-14 with one of the two (assuming everyone else comes/stays) remaining spots. There are just too many transfers in today's college game to rule it out completely.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

He definitely swung and missed quite a few times, but you could easily attribute that to the type of player he was chasing -- Wasn't it a minor miracle that a school like PC was even on those guys?

Noel - #1 player in country -- ends up at Kentucky.
Obekpa/Sampson -- End up at St. John's. Sampson had previously committed there. Obekpa a NY native.
Sanchez - Ruled ineligible.
Dickerson - So glad he didn't come to PC, but he was the only recruit lacking notoriety, although still a high-major prospect.

It's easy to say Dunn and Ledo were a fluke, but what's the excuse for Brandon Austin? Kid isn't local -- Rated as high as 35 in some rankings, between 65-75 in most. He picked PC over UCONN and Texas as his final 3. Was that also a fluke? However you wish to slice it, bringing 3 Top 75 players to PC as freshman is an impressive feat considering the lack of success for the program over the past decade -- and all of his major targets for next year are all Top 100 players ...

Jalen Lindsay - 14th overall
Abdul Malik Abu - 45th overall
Jared Terrell - 47 overall
Ben Bentil - 57 overall
Others in Top 100:
Quadri Moore
Goodluck Okonoboh
Kaleb Joseph

Reality is, to land most of the "big fish," you need to win. Most kids don't want to commit to play for a loser. Also, very hard to jump in on the top guys at the last minute. Most of those players have been recruited by certain teams for 3-4 years, and then Ed jumps in at the last minute. Hopefully now that he has been recruiting the current batch of 2014 hard (no more scholarships currently), they can land at least 2 of those 7 recruits.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Ramulous,
You forgot about ladonte Henton, all BE rookie

Top 10 recruiting class in the nation in his first full year.
URI was never a serious contender for Dunn. Cooley had the inside track at Fairfueld and PC sealed it.

Second recruiting class he got Brandon Austin, top 50-ish guy and Bullock(sleeper).

Not impressed? You're the only one.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Henton fell in his lap when Gregory left Dayton. Easy on the credit there, extenuating circumstances similar to Dunn and Ledo.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:
Essam wrote:I hope and pray that next year turns out better than year 2 did for our neighbors to the North.
Different circumstances my friend -- I don't use this as an excuse, but Coach Ed really has only had one recruiting class of "his guys." Henton is the only player he brought in year 1 (Kiwi was ineligible), so everyone else he brought in Year 2 is a freshman or sitting as a transfer. You can only rely on a handful of freshman to be truly consistent in the college basketball world.

Flip it, Hurley has already gotten in a lot of "his" guys. He has a great recruiting class for year 2, but just look at the transfer list. With those guys practicing and getting ready for next year, that gives Coach H some weapons at his disposal for year 2.
My mistake superfly I thougt this was CE second year and DH first year. Touch of sarcasm
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

bigappleram wrote:Henton fell in his lap when Gregory left Dayton. Easy on the credit there, extenuating circumstances similar to Dunn and Ledo.
So by your logic, we shouldn't be impressed with Hurley as a recruiter, since some of his recruits he had previous relationships with?

It's a stupid argument -- Gregory left Dayton, Henton wanted no part of Dayton. PC assistants identified Henton as a target, Cooley went out and brought him in -- with no previous relationship.

And lets keep ignoring Austin out of Philadelphia who Cooley beat out UCONN and Texas for as a Top 75 recruit.

Credit the coaches for having good enough relationships to maintain success --- Credit Cooley for keeping Dunn after he had interest from Louisville, UCONN, and others, just like you should credit Hurley for grabbing Biruta when he had interest from Maryland, etc.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"Gregory left Dayton, Henton wanted no part of Dayton. PC assistants identified Henton as a target, Cooley went out and brought him in -- with no previous relationship."
With a little help from Preston Murphy.
Ask around.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

PM steered Henton bc of his relationship with Cooley. At some point you guys are going to have to give Cooley credit for something. Top recruits aren't showing up on Eaton street fir nothing. DH gets a top 100 kid to Kingston and you guys are going nuts. Cooley delivers three top 50 kids in 2 years and its all luck.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Some posters on your board agree with me concerning Cooley's recruiting....I am not alone...

....Dunn was considering URI until he blew up.....I stated we had no chance after that....I am realistic....and Henton couldn't come to URI because Dayton is also in the A-10....I heard he wanted to come but it wasn't allowed so PM referred him to Ed Cooley...

....it is harder to get a top 100 to the A-10 than to get a similar kid to a big east school....

....if Hurley's second recruiting cycle is as bad as Cooley's I will say so.....

.....two of his recruits are playing....the rest are in some form of limbo.....Austin is a very recruit for Cooley.....Dunn was a very good recruit for Cooley....Ledo is in his own category....let's see if he plays....reading about him lately seems to me that he is never gonna play....it is sad...

.....I am waiting on all transfers to assess them myself....those at URI and those at PC....they tend to be problematic because they failed somewhere else already....see Sidiki Johnson.....

......Cooley had the most precious commodity to offer his big-man recruits.....immediate playing time in the big east....and he swung too many times and missed so you are relying on Henton, Batts, Kofane, Goldsborough and Johnson as your big kids in the big east....

.....the jury is still out on Cooley in my book....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

So you are going to stick with your opinion that a coach that has recruited in 2 1/2 recruiting cycles
An all BE rookie
2 HS AAs
Top 50 recruit

Is suspect at recruiting?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Say it aint so Sideki Johnson !!!!
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

You also have to look at the school ... How many RSCI Top 75 players had committed to PC since 1998? That would be 5. How many committed under Cooley? 3.

You misspoke earlier about Friar fans sharing your opinion, Ram. After last June, yes most began to really question Ed Cooley and whether he could go out in a place where he had no advantage and land a recruit of big-time name.

He then told everyone to go screw and hopped on the Brandon Austin express and shut everyone right up.

If it were so easy to get a Top 50 caliber big man by promising PT, why is it so hard for schools to get them then?

I'm not defending Cooley for whiffing on Noel, Sampson, Sanchez, and Obekpa, but we aren't exactly talking about under-the-radar 3 star recruits ...

You're big test will be class of 2014 ... He has been setting the table for a few years now with all of these Top 100 players. He should come out of 2014 with 2 Top 75 players, at least.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I think I will stick to my opinion....the proof will be in the pudding.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Proof will be in results of W-Ls.
I don't care how well any coach can recruit, if
you can't get them to blend on the court.
That's why Calipari is so good. Yes, he gets the best of the best,
but gets them to buy into working as a team.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

That is fine, Ram, I respect that.

So by your own admission of Cooley, I just want it detailed clear as day, that Hurley is also an unproven recruiter for most of the same reason you give for Cooley, correct?

Are you concerned with Hurley's recruiting, just like you are Cooley?

After all, Hurley has utilized his past relationships with players, as well as the Murphy express, to land most of this talent. Didn't quite do it on his own there, go out and grab the big guns.

Just want to make sure you are consistent Ram. I don't agree with that point, but do you since you are concerned?

And Rod, spot on. Top 100 recruits mean crapola if you can't get them to buy in on the court. Anyone who watches PC consistently can see the change, it just hasn't led to consistent results, yet. Think PC fans are overracting to the W/L. Need to change the culture. Having a Top 75 defense with the guys we have is a pretty big victory.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The jury is still out on Hurley's ability to recruit.....Hare, Aaman are okay...not great....and Hare is one of the vaunted top 100 type recruits....which is why I don't rely on those rankings to be frank....Munford is very good in my opinion...but he is a juco....

....for PC I like Dunn's athleticism but I question his shooting touch.....I see him as about the same as Gerard Coleman....and I don't believe Dunn is a PG.....Fortune is streaky....

I will evaluate the red-shirts when I see them in real competition.....not anecdotal stories of how they are doing in practice.....both those at URI and those at PC......

....I will evaluate the freshman when I see them play in college....at both schools...Mathews, Martin, Bullock, Austin etc.

.....I kept thinking how good Sidiki was supposed to be and many friar fans were thinking he would be an impact player based on his year of practicing but not playing....and he hasn't lived up to the hype and his character remains in question.....

....I wonder if we fans are over-hyping Reischel, Biruta, Minnis, the Big O, Harris and DesRosiers and will get the same results as Sidiki....

......I call them as I see them.....Both Keaney Blue and BlackandWhite....
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

agree with a lot of that Ramulous....you can never know with transfers, ours included. the only 1 i feel little doubt about is Biruta, because he has had proven results already.

agree on Dunn as well, with all the hype i expected a much more polished offensive player. his athleticism is great, he will be a beast on defense. but he also looks like someone who benefited from being a 6'4" PG playing in a weak CT league. his shot leaves much to be desired and it is very tough for a PG to be an impact player without being able to consistently hit three point shots. defenses can sag and play to your tendencies when you aren't a threat from the outside. but it is too early to tell on Dunn, only a FR and likely a bit behind in development due to the injury and b/c he hasn't logged many minutes at his eventual position (PG).
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Ramulous wrote:The jury is still out on Hurley's ability to recruit.....Hare, Aaman are okay...not great....and Hare is one of the vaunted top 100 type recruits....which is why I don't rely on those rankings to be frank....Munford is very good in my opinion...but he is a juco....

....for PC I like Dunn's athleticism but I question his shooting touch.....I see him as about the same as Gerard Coleman....and I don't believe Dunn is a PG.....Fortune is streaky....

I will evaluate the red-shirts when I see them in real competition.....not anecdotal stories of how they are doing in practice.....both those at URI and those at PC......

....I will evaluate the freshman when I see them play in college....at both schools...Mathews, Martin, Bullock, Austin etc.

.....I kept thinking how good Sidiki was supposed to be and many friar fans were thinking he would be an impact player based on his year of practicing but not playing....and he hasn't lived up to the hype and his character remains in question.....

....I wonder if we fans are over-hyping Reischel, Biruta, Minnis, the Big O, Harris and DesRosiers and will get the same results as Sidiki....

......I call them as I see them.....Both Keaney Blue and BlackandWhite....
Fair enough, Hare was a Baron/Murphy guy but nonetheless, agree on all points. Just wanted to make sure there was no URI bias.

I don't agree with you on the recruiting side per-say but your reasoning is more than fair to me.

Sidiki was a different type of transfer to me -- the type that scare me. He was a midseason transfer, usually always character issues with those. He also didn't practice with the Friars until summer session and had virtually no game experience. I was all for taking the risk on him because I definitely see some potential there but those who thought instant impact were misled on his ability. Johnson is still a raw prospect -- who will never develop if he can't hit FT regardless where he goes. He actually has a decent offensive post game, but his style draws contact, and he can't hit FT, which renders him useless at times. But he grabs boards, play physical. That was who he is, if you read all scouting reports.

Other transfers usually get 2 summer sessions and a full season of practice before joining the team. Most transfers aren't instant impact (depending on where they are from - Biruta to A10 a nice fit), but provide nice depth.

As a PC fan, not surprised by Dunn at all and his response from the public -- People measure players with tangible stats like ppg. Dunn was a kid with a lot of athleticism and raw potential. That athleticism has translated on the defensive end where he has been a very above average on ball defender. However, he is not a 4th/5th weapon on offense type of player. He needs the ball in his hands to make plays, but between Council/Cotton/Henton/Batts, the touches aren't there. He'll be more than ok, and definitely wasn't helped by the injury.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I hope for Dunn's sake his shot comes around....the injury may affect it.....I never saw him play in high school so I don't know if he has a good outside shot....

......transfers always scare me for many reasons....I am a little more comfortable when they transfer down a level a competiton...like big east to A-10...Big 12 to A-10.....I get leery of the lateral tranfer or the transfer up in competition....

.....I've said before if Hurley is still taking transfers from other colleges in this next recruiting cycle...instead of high-schoolers....I will be very disappointed in him.....
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Yes, the Hurleys have quite a few connections, but the proof in the pudding, so to speak, will be a little down the road with a couple years' results with the Rams.

It's going to take at least a couple years to build the program, and that means not just players, but the facilities here. That's a work in progress also, there's still a ways to go in that regard.

Getting top 100 recruits to come to URI will involve a lot more than proven coaching ability.

Until URI starts winning and making multiple Dances [and winning once there], the jury is still out, of course.
0 x