New Strategy to Get Students to the VCU Game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NY2Rhody
Abdul Fox

New Strategy to Get Students to the VCU Game

Unread post by NY2Rhody »

I have a friend who is an RA. Apparently HRL (housing/residential life) is giving all of the RAs tickets to the game tomorrow. Whichever RA gives out the most tickets to their residents gets a $50 gift certificate to Charlios. Personally, I think this is an awesome idea. Hoping for a big turn out tomorrow!
0 x
Quite Friarly my dear, I don't give a Ram!
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: New Strategy to Get Students to the VCU Game

Unread post by adam914 »

That is a great idea. Hopefully it works and students actually use the tickets. Glad they are trying something though.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

They also could blow those balls out of the cannon and one of them could be marked as a winner of $100 gift card to Mews or the Bookstore....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyfan3
ARD

Unread post by rhodyfan3 »

That is a great idea. Anything to get students to the games. Hopefully ideas like this, with some winning in the future and we can rock the Ryan Center.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I agree that it is good that they are trying something but this isn't much. Students get free tickets anyways. What's a $50 gift certificate to an RA? I can't imagine many students being motivated to go to a game so their RA wins something. Attendance will get better when the team gets better and gets national attention. You need to be a basketball purist to enjoy going to current games. The Baron era sucked away student interest in going to games.

The current product is a hard sell. Many students have more interesting and amusing ways to spend their time. Having intramural basketball teams play a 5 minute game at half-time would draw more students to the game.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Anything helps, I like it !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just win baby, climb in the polls, play exciting uptempo style, beat PC and UMass on regular basis, free tickets, allow signage, reseat the students, come up with more campus give always and incentives....has anyone surveyed the campus to get their input?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rhody72 wrote:I agree that it is good that they are trying something but this isn't much. Students get free tickets anyways. What's a $50 gift certificate to an RA? I can't imagine many students being motivated to go to a game so their RA wins something. Attendance will get better when the team gets better and gets national attention. You need to be a basketball purist to enjoy going to current games. The Baron era sucked away student interest in going to games.

The current product is a hard sell. Many students have more interesting and amusing ways to spend their time. Having intramural basketball teams play a 5 minute game at half-time would draw more students to the game.
can you send that idea to someone..its that good
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody72 wrote:I agree that it is good that they are trying something but this isn't much. Students get free tickets anyways. What's a $50 gift certificate to an RA? I can't imagine many students being motivated to go to a game so their RA wins something. Attendance will get better when the team gets better and gets national attention. You need to be a basketball purist to enjoy going to current games. The Baron era sucked away student interest in going to games.

$50 to a bar is a ridiculous amount of money to any college student.

That being said...that intramural half time game idea would be SICK. I hope you passed that on to Adam or Thorr.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If I were an RA, I would pay 49 students in my dorm one dollar apiece to go to the game. That way, I would win one dollar.
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

maybe one of the RA's will discover a kid in the dorms who can rebound..
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

How about we ditch the stupid gimmicks and just sell beer?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

STC I've already been yelled at about that. Good luck.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Horrible idea. Who wants to sit near drunken morons?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:Horrible idea. Who wants to sit near drunken morons?
I do. It beats sitting next to silent morons that only get excited for t-shirts.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Not really. Silent fans aren't obnoxious and causing problems.
If someone needs to get tuned up to watch a game, they should stay home.
Besides, it's an on campus facility, and can't sell beer.
Moot point.
"The NCAA does not allow beer to be sold at a college game, IF the stadium is on a college campus. You are not allowed to sell beer ON the college campus itself. If the stadium is not on campus, i.e.- Miami, Southern Cal, UCLA..., then you are allowed to do whatever the stadium normally does."
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Just because they sell beer doesnt mean everyone will be drunk. Besides, a lot of kids drink before anyways so it would only increase profits and interest in attending
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'm fairly certain that the NCAA rules only govern alcohol sales during championship events.

That being said I've definitely bought drinks at the A-10 tourney in AC.

I've been served alcohol at the Ryan Center before - there's a cash bar in the alumni lounge, and they give out beer and wine in the boxes.

I'm sure no matter how a rule is written, they wouldn't apply the rule differently to people based on what they pay to the university.

I think there's a lot of money to be made here - for a minimum inconvenience, if any to an average fan.

And for the family crowd and atmosphere that we might hurt - give me 6 college kids willing to spend money on beer, be aggressive and loud, and buy drunk food instead of mom, dad and baby shushing the others around them.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not really. Silent fans aren't obnoxious and causing problems.
Moot point.
"The NCAA does not allow beer to be sold at a college game, IF the stadium is on a college campus. You are not allowed to sell beer ON the college campus itself. If the stadium is not on campus, i.e.- Miami, Southern Cal, UCLA..., then you are allowed to do whatever the stadium normally does."
Hi Rod, sorry, this is not true. At least three teams in the A10 with on-campus arenas, Xavier, SLU and Dayton, sell alcohol to the general public. As does Syracuse at the Carrier Dome and Pitt at the Petersen Events Center.

URI could sell beer at concession stands one day if they so choose.

The only restriction is for NCAA sanctioned championship events such as NCAA Tournament and NIT - no beer there (not even at MSG for the NIT final 4).
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Not really. Silent fans aren't obnoxious and causing problems.
Moot point.
This has been discussed several times. This is simply not true. You can sell beer all you want. The NCAA just bans it at their events, ie the NCAA tournament. Agganis arena is on BU's campus and they sell beer. The Carrier Dome is on Syracuse's campus and they sell beer. There are plenty of examples. Most choose not to do it because as you state who wants to sit next to a bunch of drunks, which is what you would get if you sold beer to the masses at events like these.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I've never been shushed by a family, I have been told to sit down in the final minute of a close game by old people who could have definitely used a drink.
The Dunk sells beer, their crowds aren't drunken, there as sleepy as ours.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Sorry, I've had my fill of drunks in my lifetime. I fucking HATE drunks.
I've seen too many lives and those around them ruined by alcohol, including having a SWAT team at my
house, to deal with a drunken asshole, holding a gun on my daughter and her kids.
If you need a drink, you have a problem.
I have no use for anyone who doesn't respect other people or families
at events.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

beer isnt the solution to an amped up crowd

all it means is more use of the bathrooms

fordham has a bar under the gym, enjoyed a beer there this past weekend.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

they sell beer at the football games dont they?...or did
0 x
GO RAMS
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I don't think beer sales is a solution to an energized crowd either (again, See: The Dunk), but no matter your feelings on drinking, the reality is many people like to enjoy an adult beverage at sporting events. I've had someone say to me they prefer going to games at the Dunk because they can have a beer, they're not alone. It could help attendance, it's a revenue source, and it can be restricted to reduce "drunkeness". If it's ok for the alumni association members, than why not the rest of us?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Rhodymob05 wrote:they sell beer at the football games dont they?...or did
they did at tailgating but have since gotten rid of it (rip off on prices)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

and now we know why Rod is so set against alcohol. Completely understand your opinion now. Please excuse my disagreement with you however.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

As a URI fan why would you not want booze sold at the Ryan Center?

-Students might actually show up for a game! (Is anyone shocked a crappy team and gimmicks aren't getting there asses in the seats?). Coach Hurley gave me a slice of pizza at the library and now I feel compelled to go to a game, PUH-LEEEEZE!
-Increased Revenue!! ($9 beers at the dunk, man just imagine what URI could rake in even if beers were $5 bucks). It seems like every topic around improving athletics comes back to resources so heres a way to bring in more money!!! Wake up!!!
-Drunken fans? Really, this is a concern? Have you ever been to a pro sports event because they all sell booze and although there will be the occasional drunk hooligan I dont think URI fans actually care enough to get into fights/arguments over the team when they are drunk. Also, drunk students will be contained within the student sections.
-The few students that do go are most likely going to drink anyways. Me and my friends would usually drink before we go and then line our coats with nips, so whats the difference?
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

You don't NOT do something just because a few people will abuse it. What you do is deal with them by ejecting them immediately, with a zero tolerance policy. You act like an ass (because you're drunk, not just being an ass like most :) ) you get the boot. Simple.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how many people will suddenly decide to come just becasue they can have a beer, and most strudents wouldn't be able to get any anyway. So I'm doubtuf that this will "raise revenues" in a material way. I suppose we could bid out the concession, and that would raise a few bucks.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Sweep The Leg »

Alcohol does not equal anarchy. At Gillette, they have entire sections devoted to being 'family orientated' which includes prohibiting alcohol be consumed in those sections, why can't the same be done in the Ryan Center?

In addition, most college students are under the age of 21, so they couldn't 'legally' buy alcohol at the Ryan Center anyway.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I dont think alcohol sales would have much of an affect on students one way or the other. Even if you are of legal age, you're going to drink all your beer in your room/house before the game rather than spend $5-$8 for one at the arena.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hey Mods, since this topic has totally sidetracked to talking sbout selling beer to the general public, can we get a poll setup for people to vote on?
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:I dont think alcohol sales would have much of an affect on students one way or the other. Even if you are of legal age, you're going to drink all your beer in your room/house before the game rather than spend $5-$8 for one at the arena.

Students of legal age may spend $5-$8 to keep their buzz going during a two-hour game if they were drinking before hand.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sweep The Leg wrote:
adam914 wrote:I dont think alcohol sales would have much of an affect on students one way or the other. Even if you are of legal age, you're going to drink all your beer in your room/house before the game rather than spend $5-$8 for one at the arena.

Students of legal age may spend $5-$8 to keep their buzz going during a two-hour game if they were drinking before hand.
Yeah, maybe some. But I think we are forgetting just how broke we were in college.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

There's always been a generation gap at the Ryan Center, there's students, families, and old people. Very few young alumni in their 20's. That's the market that's being missed out on. The building is not going to sell out because of beer sales but it can certainly help.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

Is there student transportation to the game on campus? I know most of the dorms are close by, but during cold, windy days at night, who wants to walk? Even if it's only for 5 minutes....

And why non-students don't go to games..... Exit 9 on I-95 is the Mason-Dixon line of Rhode Island. There is a greater population living north of West Warwick. The state is so small, that residents complain about driving more than 10 miles to get to their destination, which isn't good for our attendance. People in RI rather drive a shorter distance in traffic to Providence which in the end takes longer South County is considered the boonies unless it's beach time. It's like that nowhere else in the country. Families drive 2-3 hours to see a high school football in other parts of the country.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote:
Sweep The Leg wrote:

Yeah, maybe some. But I think we are forgetting just how broke we were in college.

But, that was Natty Lights and Taco Bell were for. Plus, back in my day, Pepsi was providing scholarships in the range of $1500 to students for halftime activities. A good reason for us poor college kids to go to a game that is free to begin with.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

alcohol at the games isn't that big of an issue. I went to URI 1998-2002 and they didn't sell beer in Keaney, but you can be damn sure we pre gamed like crazy and were half in the bag come tipoff. There were a hell of a lot more students at the games back then than there are now (and I'm talking about the dustin helenga years, not the 1 year odom graced us with his presence). They need to do a better job of marketing to the fraternities as they encompass the vast majority of students likely to attend the games. just my opinion.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Sweep The Leg wrote: But, that was Natty Lights and Taco Bell were for. Plus, back in my day, Pepsi was providing scholarships in the range of $1500 to students for halftime activities. A good reason for us poor college kids to go to a game that is free to begin with.
Seriously if I had all that Natty Light money back right now I could probably retire already.
0 x
Sweep The Leg
Tom Garrick

ChiPhiRhody03 wrote:alcohol at the games isn't that big of an issue. I went to URI 1998-2002 and they didn't sell beer in Keaney, but you can be damn sure we pre gamed like crazy and were half in the bag come tipoff. There were a hell of a lot more students at the games back then than there are now (and I'm talking about the dustin helenga years, not the 1 year odom graced us with his presence). They need to do a better job of marketing to the fraternities as they encompass the vast majority of students likely to attend the games. just my opinion.

I went to URI from 1991-1995 and beer was not sold at Keaney as well. After 1988, the campus decided to be a dry campus. They were getting a bad reputation of being a party school, and from the stories I heard, and I didn't blame them, but it sucked for us.

There were more students at the games in my day as well, but they was still a lot of apathy within the student body limiting attendance. But, with morden technology, kids seemed less engaged socially to meet at an actual place other than cyberspace. And fans still can gamecast on their smart phones rather than attending.
0 x
'No Mercy.'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

There are 2 things that need to happen to make the Ryan Center a lively place:

1) sell beer and tell security to stop being the fun and swear police or
2) put a winning product on the floor.

for option 1) - why would college students, especially URI ones, waste a night of being hammered with friends to go sit in the stone cold sober ryan center where security treats you like 6 year old children and you can't be drunk no matter if you're bothering anyone or not, you can't say swears, you can't bring in funny signs. There's nothing there for students.

option 2) when you win, people come. Kingston isn't providence, it isn't even warwick. Not a lot of people work down here (granted I work in a building with 1100 people that's a mile tops from the Ryan Center, and I haven't seen URI even try to grab people from this building). There is absolutely nothing to do down in kingston. Nothing worth going down here for. People can walk to a PC game after going to a multitude of bars or restaurants, and can leave the dunk and do the same.

The only pull in Kingston is the team themselves. If they don't win, no one from the outside will come that isn't a die hard basketball fan. Those fans are few and far between. So either adjust to the fact that no kitchy marketing will work for these people, and that you either win - or put an environment in place that would have the thousands of fans that live next door to the arena wanting to come.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

There are a ton of students here tonight
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

nice
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

twisted3829 wrote:There are a ton of students here tonight
Thats awesome! Now lets pull off the damn upset to keep them coming back!!
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

watching the live stream and the joint looks empty to me. lame.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

radio said 2500 students

looked full behind the 1 hoop they showed

if so looks like the mktg tricks and vcu drew well
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

stand corrected. place looks packed. Good stuff. Now win the damn game.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Place probably looked empty on TV because the endzones were where all the students were. Another lame showing from the season ticket holders.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Agreed. There should be a priority point bonus for ticket redemption. Disgraceful turnout by season tix holders. Virtually full rows empty in lower 205.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Love our fans running out with a couple of minutes left.
It got down to three at one point.
I wanted us to win, just to spite those, who had to leave to beat the big traffic jam.
That section diagonally opposite 214 was row upon row of empty seats.
0 x