Game #19: Virginia Commonwealth University - GameDay!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: Game #19: Virginia Commonwealth University - GameDay!

Unread post by lasumesa »

I'm not sure if you guys already mentioned it, but there's a great story on VCU and it's HAVOC in this weeks SI. It makes me feel even better about last night's performance.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: Game #19: Virginia Commonwealth University - In Game

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Gonebarongone wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:Hey gang,
since I'll be sitting down with Dan Hurley tonight,
any questions you think I should ask him?
I will be asking him about recruiting, in generalities,
knowing he can't be specific.
Why did Jordan Hare only get five shots against a team who has an effective height less than the national average? Especially since he was 5-5 and the two shots that he took that were not dunks/putbacks were very nice moves? Will he be trying to get him more shots over the next ten games?
You have some weird obsession with this, regardless of how many times people try to tell you this, but I'll try again - Hare can't create his own offense. Of his five "shots," only one was an actual shot, as the others were just pick and roll, putback and transition opportunities. If you want to see what Hare's shooting percentage would look like if they just forced the offense through him, go look up the past lines of guys like Jon Clark and J.R. Moore. The previous coach would normally try to run the offense through them early in each game, and it wasn't that successful.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

I'm really really interested in scheduling for next year.

I know he inherited a beast schedule this year, but I'm curious to see when our talent goes up next year, how they plan on scheduling it.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Speaking of Jordan, here's another question Rod could ask Hurley:

Has he given thought to sending Jordan to a big man camp this summer?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Geezus GBG, if Jordan Hare could establish position deep on the blocks and had a back-to-the basket game I am sure we would be feeding the ball to him all game long. I trust what the coaches see in practice far exceeds any notions you might have. If you listened to the pre-game with DH yesterday he specifically said we dont have anyone on our team who can play with their back to the basket. I assume Jordan was included in that assessment. His FG% is through the roof because 90% of his shots are dunks or tip ins. It does not mean that we should be feeding him for 10-12 shots a game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

You guys need to understand that we have already established that Gonebarongone knows more about basketball then both Hurley brothers combined because he looks at Kenpom!!
Last edited by adam914 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Ask DH if he/s still renting and does he intend to purchase a home in RI ?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Hey Rod

There appeared to be an entire high school basketball team in attendance last night, seated in the lower south stands just to the right of the tunnel leading to our locker room.

The sweatshirts looked to me like is said CBA......could we find out who the team was....I think there may be a tournament somewhere around RI this weekend...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

There is a weekend tounament, but would they get here on a Wednesday?
Probably The Communist Basketball Association here looking for Shengalia.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

SGreenwell wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote:
Why did Jordan Hare only get five shots against a team who has an effective height less than the national average? Especially since he was 5-5 and the two shots that he took that were not dunks/putbacks were very nice moves? Will he be trying to get him more shots over the next ten games?
You have some weird obsession with this, regardless of how many times people try to tell you this, but I'll try again - Hare can't create his own offense. Of his five "shots," only one was an actual shot, as the others were just pick and roll, putback and transition opportunities. If you want to see what Hare's shooting percentage would look like if they just forced the offense through him, go look up the past lines of guys like Jon Clark and J.R. Moore. The previous coach would normally try to run the offense through them early in each game, and it wasn't that successful.
There is no reason, over the course of 40 minutes, against a team whose biggest weakness is interior defense to not get Hare a dozen touches and a few more shots. No one is talking about running the offense through him or forcing anything. As for creating his own offense, he most certainly could have against VCU. He posted up easliy and spun/laid it in off the glass the singular time someone actually thought about an entry pass. This board can "tell me" all it wants but X getting 15 shots against a guard oriented team is just mind boggling. Doesn't make sense for the game, season, or program. Yet, it happens every game. Next year, everyone will be screaming that Hare hasn't developed while X is still a 40%/30%/70% guy. You know what? hare could have easily had 200 more touches this year without forcing a thing, letting him get a feel for the game. Even something as simple as taking a post pass, pivoting, and finding an open man. Or,drop step baseline. But Frick and Frack, college guards remember, keep drawing up contested 18 footers in games that don't matter.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Frick and Frack forgot more than you know.
If X hits two more shots, the game is tied.
College basketball is guard oriented. The NBA grabs the best freshmen bigs,
every year.
UConn had Walker shooting his brains out, leading them to an NCAA Championship.
Drop step? Hare? Guess you haven't watched him much, huh?
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Is the type of game VCU played last night what we have to look forward to when we have players. If so bring it on. Maybe we will get back to really being the running rams. Much more exciting style that will help keep students coming to games
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Frick and Frack forgot more than you know.
If X hits two more shots, the game is tied.
College basketball is guard oriented. The NBA grabs the best freshmen bigs,
every year.
UConn had Walker shooting his brains out, leading them to an NCAA Championship.
Drop step? Hare? Guess you haven't watched him much, huh?
So, you are surprised that a guy who has shot 40% all year managed to shoot 40% last night? What's the definition of insanity again? Where are those two magical extra shots coming from?

Last week, you said all Hare could do was fling the ball off the backboard. Last night, the one freaking time someone got it to him, he made a nice move. Again, if my house was on the line, maybe I hope X has one of his streaky hot games and I win. But, this is about building a program. 15 shots every night from X, especially now that we are knocking on February, doesn't do anyone any good.

PS Kemba Walker was 5-19 in the title game. I'll call that a "Munford Special". You probably thought he played a great game because he could get his shot.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Frick and Frack? Now you have shown your true colors, get this non fan outta here please.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Ask him if he is considering moving the PC game to the dunk next year
;)
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: There is no reason, over the course of 40 minutes, against a team whose biggest weakness is interior defense to not get Hare a dozen touches and a few more shots. No one is talking about running the offense through him or forcing anything. As for creating his own offense, he most certainly could have against VCU. He posted up easliy and spun/laid it in off the glass the singular time someone actually thought about an entry pass. This board can "tell me" all it wants but X getting 15 shots against a guard oriented team is just mind boggling. Doesn't make sense for the game, season, or program. Yet, it happens every game. Next year, everyone will be screaming that Hare hasn't developed while X is still a 40%/30%/70% guy. You know what? hare could have easily had 200 more touches this year without forcing a thing, letting him get a feel for the game. Even something as simple as taking a post pass, pivoting, and finding an open man. Or,drop step baseline. But Frick and Frack, college guards remember, keep drawing up contested 18 footers in games that don't matter.
So here is a serious question for you then, since you clearly seem to think that Hurley doesnt know what he is doing. Is it your opinion that you are a better judge of talent and whats best for this team from watching games on tv/online as opposed to a professional basketball coach who practices with these kids every single day?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

what a dumb question....GBG is right 62.9% of the time, compared to DH who so far this season is successful less than 32.5% of the time based on our W/L record. furthermore, with a weighted adjustment that accounts for the fact that GBG is making his calls from 1000 miles away he would jump up to 71.5% if he was actually in the state of RI.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: There is no reason, over the course of 40 minutes, against a team whose biggest weakness is interior defense to not get Hare a dozen touches and a few more shots. No one is talking about running the offense through him or forcing anything. As for creating his own offense, he most certainly could have against VCU. He posted up easliy and spun/laid it in off the glass the singular time someone actually thought about an entry pass. This board can "tell me" all it wants but X getting 15 shots against a guard oriented team is just mind boggling. Doesn't make sense for the game, season, or program. Yet, it happens every game. Next year, everyone will be screaming that Hare hasn't developed while X is still a 40%/30%/70% guy. You know what? hare could have easily had 200 more touches this year without forcing a thing, letting him get a feel for the game. Even something as simple as taking a post pass, pivoting, and finding an open man. Or,drop step baseline. But Frick and Frack, college guards remember, keep drawing up contested 18 footers in games that don't matter.
So here is a serious question for you then, since you clearly seem to think that Hurley doesnt know what he is doing. Is it your opinion that you are a better judge of talent and whats best for this team from watching games on tv/online as opposed to a professional basketball coach who practices with these kids every single day?
So, that's the game we are playing now? Then why have a board? This is constant conversation about specific games and the direction of the program. Who should be starting. Should he have called for a foul up three with six seconds left. Should he play man or zone. A million things have and will be discussed. If you want to go kiss the ring and think everything he does is perfect, have at it. My preference is to have constructive discourse.
I have said this from the beginning. I think he is good for URI. I think he will recruit well. I think he brings a positive energy and direction. I am just not yet sold on his in game management. And, frankly, no one should be. His resume (aside from being a HOFers kid and a decent college player) really isn't special. 29.2% of the time X is in there, the possession ends with his shooting or turning it over. What good does that do anyone? Earlier, it was because the extra wins would be good for the program. Well, we aren't really getting the wins and the valuable shots/possessions are lost.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonebarongone wrote: So, that's the game we are playing now? Then why have a board? This is constant conversation about specific games and the direction of the program. Who should be starting. Should he have called for a foul up three with six seconds left. Should he play man or zone. A million things have and will be discussed. If you want to go kiss the ring and think everything he does is perfect, have at it. My preference is to have constructive discourse.
I have said this from the beginning. I think he is good for URI. I think he will recruit well. I think he brings a positive energy and direction. I am just not yet sold on his in game management. And, frankly, no one should be. His resume (aside from being a HOFers kid and a decent college player) really isn't special. 29.2% of the time X is in there, the possession ends with his shooting or turning it over. What good does that do anyone? Earlier, it was because the extra wins would be good for the program. Well, we aren't really getting the wins and the valuable shots/possessions are lost.
Of course I don't think everything he (or anybody) does is perfect. But I think there is a big difference between questioning a few specific in game management decisions (like fouling up 3, playing man or zone at a specific time) and trying to argue that anyone on here would know better how to use a freshman player that we have seen play 20 minutes on average in 19 games so far as opposed to a coach who sees him every single day for hours at a time in practice. To continue to argue the same point that he should be giving Hare more offensive looks implies that you are seeing something that he is not. I realize Hare had one decent move away from the basket (as in not a dunk or put back) last night but I believe that there must be plenty more that Hurley is seeing in practice that leads him to believe that Hare is not ready yet to be trusted to do that on a regular basis.

Do you believe that this team has a chance to be much better next year and finish in the top half of the A10? Because I do, and then I would argue that it is very valuable to get X heavily involved in the offense. He'll likely still be our leading scorer and go to guy next season and lets not forget that like Hare, this is his first season of DI basketball. This will be very valuable experience for him as he continues to be the go to guy in our offense next season as well.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and thats why this is a discussion board, but I am also entitled to think that you are wrong and that I will choose to trust Hurley's talent evalutation over yours.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

adam914 wrote:
Gonebarongone wrote: So, that's the game we are playing now? Then why have a board? This is constant conversation about specific games and the direction of the program. Who should be starting. Should he have called for a foul up three with six seconds left. Should he play man or zone. A million things have and will be discussed. If you want to go kiss the ring and think everything he does is perfect, have at it. My preference is to have constructive discourse.
Of course I don't think everything he (or anybody) does is perfect. But I think there is a big difference between questioning a few specific in game management decisions (like fouling up 3, playing man or zone at a specific time) and trying to argue that anyone on here would know better how to use a freshman player that we have seen play 20 minutes on average in 19 games so far as opposed to a coach who sees him every single day for hours at a time in practice. To continue to argue the same point that he should be giving Hare more offensive looks implies that you are seeing something that he is not. I realize Hare had one decent move away from the basket (as in not a dunk or put back) last night but I believe that there must be plenty more that Hurley is seeing in practice that leads him to believe that Hare is not ready yet to be trusted to do that on a regular basis.

Do you believe that this team has a chance to be much better next year and finish in the top half of the A10? Because I do, and then I would argue that it is very valuable to get X heavily involved in the offense. He'll likely still be our leading scorer and go to guy next season and lets not forget that like Hare, this is his first season of DI basketball. This will be very valuable experience for him as he continues to be the go to guy in our offense next season as well.

You are obviously entitled to your opinion and thats why this is a discussion board, but I am also entitled to think that you are wrong and that I will choose to trust Hurley's talent evalutation over yours.
Completely fair. I do think they have a chance to be good. I just don't think that there is much more to X's learning or playing curve while Hare really does have a million outcomes. X is going to be X next year whether he takes 10,11, or 20 shots every game from here on out. I don't think he is a bad player. He is a volume scorer who I think can be even better with better players around him and a little bit of discretion in shot selection. If Rhody can get 8 points/8 board/2-3 blocks from Hare next year, that will go a long way to improving the team and I, as I have said, think extra touches this year will help that happen. It's impossible to replicate game speed in practice.
0 x
EZBuckets
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EZBuckets »

Ramulous wrote:Hey Rod

There appeared to be an entire high school basketball team in attendance last night, seated in the lower south stands just to the right of the tunnel leading to our locker room.

The sweatshirts looked to me like is said CBA......could we find out who the team was....I think there may be a tournament somewhere around RI this weekend...
They were a prep school visiting from an Eastern European country...I was told by someone where exactly, but it totally slipped my mind.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

GBG, it's fine if you disagree with the coach's decisions - I think everyone does at one point or another. It's part of being a fan, or a reporter, or anyone watching the game. I guess my issue is that there are a variety of people who post on this board, and you're alone in a corner on a couple issues, like that Munford needs to pass more, and that Jordan Hare should be getting 10 to 15 shots a game.

I can contort and at least see the argument on Munford, although I don't agree with it. The Hare thing... I don't even know HOW he would attempt 10 to 15 shots a game from watching him play. Even if you force fed him in the post, he doesn't have great hands right now, and I'd guess that half of his turnovers come just from trouble establishing position in the post and catching the ball. He doesn't really have much of a face-the-basket game, since I think if he could shoot open 15-footers, the staff would be happy to see him take those. And beyond all that, he picks up cheap fouls and is very ineffective on defense except for the blocks, two factors that would probably limit his minutes and thus offensive opportunities anyway.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

SGreenwell wrote:The Hare thing... I don't even know HOW he would attempt 10 to 15 shots a game from watching him play. Even if you force fed him in the post, he doesn't have great hands right now, and I'd guess that half of his turnovers come just from trouble establishing position in the post and catching the ball. He doesn't really have much of a face-the-basket game, since I think if he could shoot open 15-footers, the staff would be happy to see him take those. And beyond all that, he picks up cheap fouls and is very ineffective on defense except for the blocks, two factors that would probably limit his minutes and thus offensive opportunities anyway.
And the other half of his turnovers seem to come from passing the ball directly to someone on the other team. His ppg total would also be higher if you counted the points he tips in for the other team on defense (harsh, I know, but not incorrect). I like Hare- there are occasional flashes of good stuff, and I like when he gets all fired up. This coaching staff has all the reasons in the world to want Hare to develop; combine this with the fact that Hurley would love to be coaching differently this season, on offense and defense. They're working on skill development with him, that's where he's at. He's still in the process where everything seems to be happening too fast around him. It's not unheard of for a freshman big man.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Just got back from The Mews.
Had one of the best times I've ever had.
Great people, great food, and a lot of fun.
Everyone was so nice. Thorr, Daryl Jasper, Adam Schemm,
Steve McDonald, the owner and staff at The Mews.
Sat next to Don Kaull most of the night, and had a ball with talk of his time at URI.
Dan's family were there, and his boys kept my granddaughters entertained. Good kids, all.
Now, on the the questions. He told me some very frank things, which he asked not be
shared here, so I'll honor his request.
Other than that, it was, "So what else do you want to know?"
Oneykaba....he said he's be a 10 point 7 rebound guy, if he played this season.
Said his upside is enormous, and he works hard.
Recruiting....needs a scorer and a bigman. Wants a big off guard. Could be jucos.
Point guards.....Biggie likely top dog next year, with Powell, and eventually Matthews
breaking into the lineup. Some combination getting playing time together.
Munford...Dan said he'll be a 45% shooter next year. Said what he's had to shoulder this year,
is almost unfair.
Hare....can't pass to him in the post, because he has no post up game. (Got that Gonezo?)
They'll bring in several people to work with him over the summer.
Said Hare only played high school ball in Michigan, and no AAU for years.
Reischel.... great finisher, good all around 3.
Biruta.... proven product, who will be a big contributor.
Minnis... very impressed with his defense and toughness.
Loves Martin. Sees him at least on the Delroy James level, if he doesn't grow any more.
Here's the biggest news, which could change the entire outlook of next year's team...
The team is going to Europe on a playing tour, like VCU did the year they went to the Final Four.
This will give game experience to help blend all the new talent.
He said next year will be like night and day.
Now to the strange personal questions some wanted me to ask.
Favorite restaurant.....takeout from Outback.
Why rent and not buy? Had trouble selling their house in NJ, but will buy
when wife decides on where in RI she wants to livee
Daryl told me when they announced me at the game, KMac said, "That's Rod from Cranston."
Met coach Tirone. Nice guy.
Steve introduced my daughter and granddaughter to the audience. Dan's wife and my daughter are both named
Andrea, but pronounce it differently.
There was some joking about Dan's wife's chocolate cake.
The biggest surprise was when the waitress told me Dan picked up my dinner tab!
Just died and went to Rhody heaven tonight!
Adam Schemm
@AdamSchemm
It was great to see @RodfromCranston at the Rhody Basketball Radio Show this evening. A true fan. #GoRhody

Thorr Bjorn
@thorrbjorn
Great to have @RodfromCranston at the the@dhurley15 radio show tonight @mewstavern. Nice to meet your daughter & great seeing the grand kids
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Rod that's awesome, you deserve for your year as a devoted fan.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Sounds like an amazing night Rod, you definitely deserved it!

Awesome info you brought back to the board, thanks for doing that!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Rod....will you become insufferable?....oh, wait....you already are.....lol

Sounds like you had a great and memorable time...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
rhodyRams08
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by rhodyRams08 »

Dan mentioned the trip to Europe during post game, which will be great for the team. Glad you had a great time. I had a blast couple weeks ago as season ticket holder of the game, it was great to meet Dan, pmurph, Daryl and everyone else. Don Kaull was funny as hell.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Don's wife was also very nice.
The assistants were all at some tournament, likely a prep school one.
I forgot to mention, Dan said he likes TJ, because TJ isn't delusional about his role,
and works hard.
I have to admit, I was surprised Dan sat with us for at least a half hour, and his
candor is so refreshing.
He said if he had last year's team, Wilson would have been the star.
Stated, he could have worked with Holton, because he had talent.
Billy leaving was a surprise to him, and it hurt, particularly because
it was past the point of being able to recruit a replacement for this season.
I'm sure I'll remember other things, later on.
08, I wonder if the Hurley show gets a bigger in person audience,
where in Mews they'll have to move it to?
Really only four tables, plus the dias on the raised area.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote: Stated, he could have worked with Holton, because he had talent.
I believe that. Dan loved coaching J.R. Smith, whom others have labeled as a "problem child," because he was good but had an even better work ethic.

Glad you had a good time, rod!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Good night to play a good game since apprently there were a handful of nba scouts at the ryan center for the vcu game
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great recap Rod !! Very much appreciated !!
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Great recap Rod, great job, thx.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Rod congrats! Couldn't think of a more deserving loyalist for this to happen too. Love all the answers to the questions for the simple fact it isn't coach speka but honesty.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

It all sounds good, Rod, thanks!

Wish I could have been there. Once I get settled in my new place and the divorce is final, I'll have a lot more free time for Rhody hoops!
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rodfromcranston wrote:Recruiting....needs a scorer and a bigman. Wants a big off guard. Could be jucos.
With all of the transferring now a days, I'd be surprised if they weren't saving at least one open scholarship to see who pops up.
0 x
MARhody
Abdul Fox

Unread post by MARhody »

Just getting around to reading the thread and putting my thoughts together, very much enjoyed your comments Rod from the Mews and Dan, well done.

Enjoyed the game Wednesday night, from the opening tip when Malone stripped the ball and went in for a breakaway dunk all the way to the final buzzer, the five on the floor fought tooth and nail for an entire 40 minutes, never gave up. A few other misc thoughts:

- Great atmosphere, huge student contingent, love the idea of the dorms having a contest to get the most students in attendance.
- Arena was loud from the opening tip, players gave much to cheer about in the first half to keep it going. Forced turnovers, good stuff.
- VCU just better all around, bigger, faster, but again, Rhody kept it close and fought all the way to the end, even when down by double digits with only a few minutes left, they kept hammering a way to make a game of it.
- Seemed like VCU made an effort to keep Malone off the scoreboard in the first half, then again, no one got an easy shot in the half court set.
- The press gave Powell fits, it was too quick so he couldn't beat it on his own, he needed help and too many times didn't get it. Several close 10 second calls before they got called a couple times. Burned many timeouts to prevent, which hurt down the stretch when they had none for the final four minutes of the game, but they had to be done in a close game not to give up the ball. I thought the times they got Hare the ball worked out well, especially when they attacked down court from that; also second half thought Buchanan did good job breaking the press. Seemed like too many times they left it to Powell to break it all alone with few passing options.
- Even though it took 8-10 seconds to bring it into the front court, half court offense did well, only a few times did I feel like they had to rush a bad shot.
- Inbounding continues to be a problem.
- For all the complaints we've had so far, excellent referee crew on the game. A tough physical game by both teams, yet only 11 fouls combined both teams in the first half. I don't enjoy how often they go to the monitor to check things, but this is ncaa mandated and in the end they got the call correct each time. Several times officials had a quiet word with players as they went up the court after not blowing the whistle, I hope we see more of this as it made for a very entertaining game where neither side had anything to complain about.
- VCU made an adjustment at halftime to attack Nik inside, which worked several times early in the second half.
- Enjoyed the fight that the team gave the entire game, VCU was running in 2-3 players every couple of minutes, they clearly had the manpower but Rhody held their own and made them earn a tough road victory.

Games like this make me feel like the long ride is worth it, looking forward to the next home game...
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rod, I'm so happy for you. Loved your line "Rhody Heaven" up above. Great recollection of your long conversation too.

Dan's so candid in the stuff he doesn't mind you sharing. I wonder what he told you that needed to be kept quiet (don't tell us!!, we don't want to lose Dan's confidence in sharing stuff).

Maybe it was "names" of recruits or something. I dunno. Don't really care. Glad Rod knows though!

I'm sad that I can't make it to any of these Thursday shows this season due to a family commitment. I'm hopeful to be at most of them next year. I hope they remain at the Mews or Rhody Joes or something.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The team was going to go overseas this year but with the roster influx that was canceled. Great to here it's going to happen. Will be a chance for the transfers to become more a part of the team.
Rod: any signs of unhappiness or impatience with Hurley?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Iggy, the whole family loves it here.
What surprised me was, he's not angry or unhappy about this year.
He accepts what the limitations are, and goes about his business.
My daughter asked him about his sideline antics.
He told her he was number one in technical fouls his first year at Wagner.
With his second year and a better team, he returned to coaching and calmed down.
Said he needs to go crazy with this team, but won't next year, and might actually have a
seat for himself on the bench.
ATP, only two recruits were specifically mentioned and one who we all seem to want, is not high on
the staff's list. Another closer to home seems more favorable. (just read between the lines)
Said he wants the new recruits to be offensive players.
On Pollard, he said they didn't want him, because he overlapped Martin, although he loved Pollard's
game.
Oh, and the thing everyone wonders about.....he said one of the problems is the scout team keeps winning
scrimages by 30 points and he thinks it has possibly a demoralizing affect on the guys on this
year's team
He's just amped about the future.
Said he's never home, so where he lives is more his wife's decision.
I asked him about his life, and he said there's some downtime in May and a little in August,
but it's a rat race the rest of the time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

The reason the assistant coaches weren't at the Mews, according to our good friend RR12345, was that they were out watching St, Thomas Moore, specifically Duane Notice and Marquise Moore.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:Iggy, the whole family loves it here.
What surprised me was, he's not angry or unhappy about this year.
He accepts what the limitations are, and goes about his business.
My daughter asked him about his sideline antics.
He told her he was number one in technical fouls his first year at Wagner.
With his second year and a better team, he returned to coaching and calmed down.
Said he needs to go crazy with this team, but won't next year, and might actually have a
seat for himself on the bench.
ATP, only two recruits were specifically mentioned and one who we all seem to want, is not high on
the staff's list. Another closer to home seems more favorable. (just read between the lines)
Said he wants the new recruits to be offensive players.
On Pollard, he said they didn't want him, because he overlapped Martin, although he loved Pollard's
game.
Oh, and the thing everyone wonders about.....he said one of the problems is the scout team keeps winning
scrimages by 30 points and he thinks it has possibly a demoralizing affect on the guys on this
year's team
He's just amped about the future.
Said he's never home, so where he lives is more his wife's decision.
I asked him about his life, and he said there's some downtime in May and a little in August,
but it's a rat race the rest of the time.
So, I'm guessing they're not that interested in Severe but are interested in Williams. If I had to guess, I'd think Duane Notice is a target right now(since as I wrote in another thread, the assistants were looking at him this week), who is another big guard with a good game and also a 4.0 GPA. I wish I knew what big guy they might be targeting, no clue on that one.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The big man's wan't mentioned. He did say both players could be jucos.
It's hard to find much juco information online.
Notice would be a nice get, and Hurley is mindful of the academic status
of the team.
He's obviously not shy about taking jucos and transfers to fill gaps on
the roster.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rodfromcranston wrote:The big man's wan't mentioned. He did say both players could be jucos.
It's hard to find much juco information online.
Notice would be a nice get, and Hurley is mindful of the academic status
of the team.
He's obviously not shy about taking jucos and transfers to fill gaps on
the roster.
Did he say anything about possibly holding a scholly back for '14, or does he want to use both of the remaining ones this year?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rod this is great stuff. Thanks for actually asking some of our questions and reporting back.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Good job, Rod,
It's a good sign when the coach is targeting certain types of players and is concerned about overlapping styles. I feel "what's his name" just brought in whoever he could get. Probably why most of his recruits were so similar.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He was very blunt about the condition the program was in
when he got here, on and off the court.
He was worried about the academic situation, and that the UConn
type penalty was closely avoided.
Outerbridge left school after the season, and hurt the team cumulative average.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Billyboy78 wrote:The reason the assistant coaches weren't at the Mews, according to our good friend RR12345, was that they were out watching St, Thomas Moore, specifically Duane Notice and Marquise Moore.
That makes sense since I was there with a few friends and saw the assisants and some marketing guys but not the hurleys
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote:
Billyboy78 wrote:The reason the assistant coaches weren't at the Mews, according to our good friend RR12345, was that they were out watching St, Thomas Moore, specifically Duane Notice and Marquise Moore.
That makes sense since I was there with a few friends and saw the assisants and some marketing guys but not the hurleys
Do you mean you were at the St. Thomas game? If so, how did Notice look?
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

the national prep invitational tournament is this week at RIC, this is the tournament that used to be at URI until the NCAA put in the rule not allowing prep school tournaments on D1 college campuses.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE