My dilemma as a URI fan

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

My dilemma as a URI fan

Unread post by BCRhody03 »

I have been reading this board for as long as I can remember now. I'm 26, and have been around URI athletics since I was born. Some of my fondest memories as a kid growing up involve URI basketball (and football, although unfortunately most of the memories revolve around losses). I was the ball boy for bball for a few years, including the elite 8 season and one season after with Lamar. I was also the ballboy for the football team until that gig got cut short due to me getting absolutely steamrolled by Bobby Apgar and two defenseman on the sidelines. I was a season ticket holder for the first 8 seasons of the Ryan center years. Like everyone else, I was crushed when Cuttino got mugged. I was devastated when Lamonte got fouled in MSG. I used to lose my every time Will Daniels, my personal favorite Ram, would be glued to the bench time after time for god knows what reason. I was always in a great mood every new year, just another 12 and 3 start for Rhody. I also knew what lied ahead though. A cruel late season loss against the bottom feeders of the A10, as well as heartbreaking losses to the in the final minutes against a good team. I argued for Baron to go for years. When they hired Hurley I knew we were in for better days. This season has been great despite the record. It's just so refreshing to see a coach with such passion for the game. You know we are in for big things once the talent arrives.
My dilemma is that I also root for PC. If they play URI I am all in on Rhody. They are my team. However, I am a diehard college hoops fan and can't help but root for a team from Rhode Island. We have no other home teams that have any real national exposure. As I said, it's Rhody first, but I can't help but hope that Ledo stays in Rhode Island for a season...
My question to all of you longtime fans is. Can you accept a new member into this community knowing what you now know?
0 x
Roz
ARD

Re: My dilemma as a URI fan

Unread post by Roz »

Yup
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Welcome aboard! My parents were lifelong PC fans.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sure, why not. I often tried as a kid, in CYO, to do the jimmy walker running right hander on the side walk going into Keaney with my Pops, dragging me to RHODY games....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

No problem. You are a breath of fresh air compared to the pseudo fans who play/ed mind games when in reality, rooted for the black and white.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

And I forgot, I know hoops in RI is better when PC is good. We are all raised and will continued to be elevated with Bryant emerging...
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Great intro, BCRhody03. Glad to have you aboard!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Captainron@
Kenny Green

Unread post by Captainron@ »

Stay away from Red and you'll be fine :-)
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

hmmm, I think wanting Baron to go got my vote. WELCOME RHODY FAN!
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I don't understand how you can be a fan of both teams, but I don't really have a problem with it. As long as its Rhody first I'm willing to overlook it! Welcome aboard!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I say no...just kidding I'm not a pc fan and enjoy watching them lose unless URI is having a good year since pc winning will help us out. You are not along in rooting for both URI and pc here, Sean is very active on both boards and I know others that don't necessary say they root for pc but still follow them.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
jmck
Lamar Odom

Unread post by jmck »

i'm old school, i hate those guys. welcome to the board though.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Welcome
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
RhodeIslandRams
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodeIslandRams »

BCRhody, I've found over the years that there are a few specific categories of fans on the URI/PC thing. Obviously many hate everything about PC, always. A few root for both. But a lot fall into this category, including myself:

I bleed Keaney Blue. I root for URI to always be considered the top team in the state. Always. But when we are clearly better, I hope PC is also good. Also, since I've lived out-of-state for many years now, I will root for PC when they play programs like Duke on national TV. As a child, I walked to games at Alumni Hall to watch Ernie D. I didn't know much about the Rams then. After I went to URI as a student, and realized what I perceived to be a lack of media coverage for the Rams then, combined with a sometimes cocky attitude of some PC fans who usually didn't even ATTEND PC, I started rooting less for PC's success.

So in a year like this...when URI is 'rebuilding', I can't root for PC in any games. But in two years, when we're nationally ranked? Sure. lol

Bottom line? You're not alone.
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

I figured I wasn't alone with this. I figure if I had web to school at URI I would have Los the rooting interest in PC. However, I can't help but root for a Rhode Island team when I see them playing someone like Syracuse on ESPN. I'm glad you all can accept that little detail that I bring to the boards. You can even up an asterisk next to my name of you want.
Anyways, I'm happy I finally signed up here and I look forward to contributing to the game threads as well as othe Rhody forum topics. Lets kick some Fordham ass today!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look forward to reading your posts and exchanging ideas with you!
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I grew up as a PC fan (everyone in the Providence area, everyone in my family, was) but switched allegiances when I started at URI in 1975. The rivalry was at its heated peak in the late '70s.
Not sure how you can root for both. Thought I think the rivalry dipped when they stopped playing twice a year. I suppose it you live in the state and didn't go to either school you could cheer for each. But welcome aboard, no need to fret.
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

As a die hard sports can I should be ashamed of myself. It's almost like rooting for the Red Sox and Yankees. It's definitely the fact that there both from RI. Going to college bball games is my escape every winter. Weeks like this where URI and PC play back to back home games are awesome. I wish they still played twice a year. I can't even remember if I was attending games yet when that was around. Can't wait for URI VCU Wednesday then PC UCONN Thursday. Ill be upset if URI loses. They're the team that messes with the emotions. Ill always bleed Rhody blue.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was a PC fan before I enrolled at URI then I switched allegiances

At first I still kind of pulled for PC to do well

Then as I got older I am very indifferent and really dont care if they win or lose
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

It was a better rivalry when they played twice a year and before conference emphasis neutered old rivalries. The old ECAC tourney was great. The best game between URI and PC I saw live was the ECAC tourney game in '78. Of course a lot of things were great when I was young. Back in my day, sonny ...
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

I wish I was around to see Rhody in there glory days. My dad fills me in from time to time. I remember exactly where I was when uri best Kansas (parents bedroom... The only good tv in the house at the time), when Lamar hit the 3 in the A10 championships (my grandparents house, we didn't have cable at home) etc... But all my vivid memories of the team involve season ending implosions and unexplainable losses to cupcakes. Last year was the fewest games I've attended since I was 10. I couldn't take watching Baron ball anymore. What a difference a year makes! You can just see the change in the entire culture of the team. With an infusion of talent, we can make some noise in the next couple of years.

I have a bet with a friend. I'm interested in your opinions on my chances. I URI makes the tourney within Hurleys first 3 seasons, than I get an all expenses paid trip to there first round game. If they don't make the tourney, I have to provide an all expenses paid trip to the final four at the end of the 3rd season.

Let's go Rhody!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like your chances to win that bet. I think year 3 we will have at least a 70 % shot to dance
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

BCRhody03 wrote:I was the ball boy for bball for a few years, including the elite 8 season and one season after with Lamar.
We were ball boys together? Awesome. Welcome back.

I've been pretty clear on this board, and in all walks of life - that it's only good for our school and our state to have PC be a good team. I want PC to win every single game of the year except the one they play us in. I hate UMASS wayyyyy more than I could ever hate PC.

I've been to 4 PC games this year so far. I'm probably as obnoxious as I am at Rhody games, except a loss doesn't phase me like a URI one does, and a win doesn't feel the same.

I come from a family that is almost exclusively PC alums - grandpa, 3 uncles, 2 aunts, 2 cousins - and all of them have multiple season tickets. Only me, my mother, father, brother and aunt are URI alums. I only hold ill will towards PC the 1st week in december, and usually a week after.

So long story short - welcome home!
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Welcome to the Board,
I always root for PC to lose.
Dave Gavitt did not allow URI to participate in the Big East when it was formed, however he did invite Boston College and Connecticut. UMASS, URI and Holy Cross were left out in the cold.
Sly Williams chose URI over PC and Gavitt never got over that.
Don't hold your breath about URI getting an invite to this new version of Big East Basketball. UMASS might get in, but now way that PC will allow URI to join that League.
Ask Rhody if he roots for PC, ever - I mean the Rhody Mascot that got beat to hell in the Dunk Public Restroom.

I doubt that you would seen the Rival in any other state root for the opposition, ever.
Florida - Florida State
Michigan - Michigan State
Indiana - Purdue
Colorado - Colorado State
Clemson - South Carolina
Georgia - Georgia Tech
Washington - Washington State
Oregon - Oregon State
Kansas - Kansas State
UMASS - Boston College
Pittsburgh - Penn State
Only in Rhode Island do you get so much of this "wanting to see PC be successful" thing from so many URI fans. My guess is most grew up in Providence as PC fans - then went on to URI later.

anyway, I also was a PC fan as a kid, all changed when I went to URI, and I want PC to lose every game they play in.
Their favorite phrase is "Wait until next year"
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I may be wrong, but didn't Holy Cross reject the BE offer?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

ramster wrote:Only in Rhode Island do you get so much of this "wanting to see PC be successful" thing from so many URI fans. My guess is most grew up in Providence as PC fans - then went on to URI later.
I think this may have to do with the size of our state. Rhode Islanders have a unique perspective compared to all of the other rivalries you mentioned above in that URI and PC are pretty much all we have (no offense to Brown or Bryant).
0 x
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

as a non-rhode islander who could give a damn about in-state rivalries, welcome aboard pal.
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

It might be interesting to note how many "full time" PC fans also root for the Rams.
0 x
Surfri72
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Surfri72 »

i always root against pc .....always will.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ditto.
When you hear idiots like Adam Bagni, on TV 10, saying things like,
"Even at a school like URI, 75% of their games are televised". like we're
such pond scum, that brings it all back.
We're expected to be second class citizens in our own State.
I heard the story on a local TV station of the PC player being convicted of beating
up the student. Strangely, PC was never mentioned in the story.
It's like Obama being protected and coddled by mainstream media.
Endless and mindless.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Most of the teams you listed play in the same conference...and those are largely not basketball rivalries. Football trumps all.

BC/BU is a rivalry...not BC/UMASS.

Maybe it's just because we've been irrelevant for so long that I've softened on the PC/URI rivalry - but it never seems like a win or loss in that game affects our post-season chances.

The game is always earlier in the year. It doesn't affect our conference record. I don't remember when PC was good enough to be a "signature win," instead of just a win against a lower tier Big East team like Seton Hall or Depaul.

However, UMASS is full of a bunch of dirty assholes - both fans, players, and coaches alike. They've always had smarmy douchebags around that entire campus, and that never seems to change. Their games usually affect our post-season outcome. They've kept us out of the NCAA tournament a few times. We play them twice.

Yeah PC fans have an air of superiority about them, and projo puts on one of the most blatant and pathetic biases onto the Friars and against the Rams.

It's frustrating because PC isn't even all that good...however, we have found a way to be worse for a decade. Our in-state media are terrible when it comes to which side they're on...but the second URI actually produces a winning program, they'll jump on it just like it was in '98.

If URI were a clearly better team, and not just a team we could debate about who was better, you'd see the bias flip to our side in a heartbeat.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

The legendary Frank Caruso said it best....it was a long time ago when the Cold War between the US and the USSR was still vibrant....

....."if PC is playing the Russians...I am rooting for the Russians!"

I cannot root for them although I like Ed Cooley.....there is a core of their fans that make me rooting for them impossible....I'm sure there is a core of our fans that make them hate us, too.....Their conference has always been better than ours and they lord it over us.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Ew.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Frank C. was (is) right about PC vs The Russians. However, if they did play each other, I'd bet it was at the "Dump." lol.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Ditto.
When you hear idiots like Adam Bagni, on TV 10, saying things like,
"Even at a school like URI, 75% of their games are televised". like we're
such pond scum, that brings it all back.
We're expected to be second class citizens in our own State.
I heard the story on a local TV station of the PC player being convicted of beating
up the student. Strangely, PC was never mentioned in the story.
It's like Obama being protected and coddled by mainstream media.
Endless and mindless.
Rod,

Your conspiracy theories are hysterical. Your anti-friar paranoia knows no bounds.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

And so true. Look at the statement this clown made and tell me where I'm wrong.
0 x
BCRhody03
Steve Chubin

I can't stand UMASS either. The only time I ever wished UMASS well is when Liam Coen was playing there. We were friends growing up so I had to make a small exception for that. Besides him, I have yet to meet someone who went there that I've actually liked. Bunch of punks in my experiences.

As for the PROJO, I don't even bother to read it anymore. They add nothing to the sports landscape. I get pretty much all my URI info (for better or worse) right from this website.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If Dave Gavitt had included URI in the BE it would have been charity. Dave got PC to be part of a conference that did more for the school than anything else before or after. URI and PC share the same small media market. It made no sense for Gavitt to include them in his new league. BC is in the Boston market, UConn is in the Hartford market (which doomed the inclusion of UMASS).

I don't hate Dave Gavitt. He didn't intentionally stiff URI - we were collateral damage in his efforts to do something for his employer. We should hate Mo Zarchen for his lack of initiative in starting a great conference for URI before Dave did.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I hate UMASS also
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Why hate UMASS? Because they worked to improve themselves athletically and move up in football. Do you really believe that others should not try to better themselves because it will make URI look worse? Such an attitude is so RI - reluctant to make investments and take risks to improve itself. It is the result of the socialistic influence in the RI culture.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote:Why hate UMASS? Because they worked to improve themselves athletically and move up in football. Do you really believe that others should not try to better themselves because it will make URI look worse? Such an attitude is so RI - reluctant to make investments and take risks to improve itself. It is the result of the socialistic influence in the RI culture.
I don't care about college football. It's completely irrelevant to my fanhood. I hate UMASS because they are a bunch of dirty assholes, in every single sport they play. As fans, as players, everything. I played rugby against them at least 4 times - those account for some of the dirtiest opponents i've ever played against at any level of rugby. Their fans are gutless, classless bro douchebags - in all sports.

I also hate UMASS because they are an actual rival, with a history of games that cost us post season play. One game that cost us an NCAA bid thanks to one of the worst moving pick/tackle no calls, and then a 6 step (counted on sportscenter) travel that lead to a layup and buzzer beating loss.

I don't know anyone on this board who is reluctant to make investments or take risks in the interest of the school or state...those in our government and the decision makers at URI may be different.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

UMass could end up being in the Big East for football, and then basketball. From what I gather from this board, most people want to end up in a conference with the CE7. I think I still rather be in UMass shoes and end up with a conference like the Big East with all of its troubles. I don't think that UConn will be in the Big East, 1st chance they have they will go to the ACC when an opening comes up.
http://www.gazettenet.com/blogs/umasssp ... -according
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Obram, that reasoning is sound, except UConn isn't getting in the ACC, unless that conference implodes also.

BC doesn't want them. They are the reason UConn isn't already in the ACC.

They would be a perfect fit there. Great BB conference, and their FB program would be where it belongs. A good FB conference, but not a great one.

As for UMass, if they don't get in the BE for football, they might as well come back to the CAA, and stay in the A10 for BB.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

UMass is bleeding money with their football program.
How long they can sustain massive losses, is up to question.
Moving their home games to Gillette made it tough for students and normal fanbase to attend,
not to mention the gigantic rental costs.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

BlueMan, fans on this Board were reluctant to turn on JB for 11 years. How long did UMASS put up with Bruiser or Lappas?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote:BlueMan, fans on this Board were reluctant to turn on JB for 11 years. How long did UMASS put up with Bruiser or Lappas?
I'm confused, what does that have to do with the entirety of western mass and that school being dirty, classless assholes?

I get that you're saying we have a lot in common...which is what I think a good rivalry needs. Duke/UNC, Michigan/Ohio St, etc.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What 72 is saying, Mass dumped two coaches who were not successful, in the time we stayed with Baron
for over a decade. People at the school and in the media protected Baron, and were content with mediocrity.
Mass acted to get rid of their mediocre coaches.
Mass's committment to athletics is greater than URI's. Just look at their football program.
I don't know how intellectually, you can call an entire region of a State, classless and dirty etc.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote:What 72 is saying, Mass dumped two coaches who were not successful, in the time we stayed with Baron
for over a decade. People at the school and in the media protected Baron, and were content with mediocrity.
Mass acted to get rid of their mediocre coaches.
Mass's committment to athletics is greater than URI's. Just look at their football program.
I don't know how intellectually, you can call an entire region of a State, classless and dirty etc.
Ohhhhh I'm with you both now. Yes, PC did the same. I HATE that about us - I think most people on this board do as well. The idea that JB was even a decent coach was kept alive by a couple of geezers who thought that Baron shaking their hand at a booster function meant he was the man for the job.

However, I view my generalized opinion on that entire school one indicative of a rivalry. That, and the next positive interaction I have with a UMASS fan, player, or coach will be the first.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

A lot of people here, defended Baron until
he left them little to defend.
That was part of the problem. If there was no noise, those in
charge felt it was alright to continue with the status quo, and not rock the boat.
I think, at the end, it was lost revenue, and projected further revenue losses, that drove them to make
a change.
It took hitting rock bottom to do so.
0 x