Game #18- URI @ Fordham

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Game #18- URI @ Fordham

Unread post by twisted3829 »

URI travels to Fordham (5-14, 1-3) Saturday afternoon at 1 pm
TV: Yes Network (Cox: 128/1128 Verizon: 595 Direct TV: 631)
Possible Free Video stream: Click Here

Line: started at URI +1.5 but has moved to URI -1.5
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
URI96
ARD

Re: Game #18- URI @ Fordham

Unread post by URI96 »

Tom Penders being inducted into the Fordham HOF as well!
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

AWESOME!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Nice, I just read Penders book two weeks ago. Now this will be the perfect follow up to be there tomorrow and see him inducted at half time.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

what makes that line move? lol
0 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

People are taking URI.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Yeah line is to URI -3

Most likely moving towards URI due to Gaston probably being out
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I am now seeing several different numbers ranging from 2,2.5 and 3 with URI favored. Projo this morning has the game even.
Regardless, will be a tough game today.

Fordham has a good, active message board. 5 page game thread on the Dayton disaster and then 2 pages on Pregame URI.

http://fordhamfans.smfforfree.com/index ... pic=6368.0
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Tough to be a Fordham fan. Someone on that board said it, the bottom half of the A10 is improving [especially us], except for them and maybe Duquesne.

We're going to leave them far behind, and soon.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Good morning everyone! Happy Game Day. Looking at the 2 teams, here are a few notes and observations from what I saw. As twisted wrote, Gaston may not play but I am just assuming that he is.

Defending Against Key Players:
-Branden Frazier (#1): Fordham’s starting PG and leading scorer. Powell will have his hands full with this guy. He has 3in. and 10lbs. on Powell. I would like to think that Hurley would play Buchanan more than his usual amount of minutes (14 mpg). Perhaps take a page out of the Jim Baron play book and play a little offense/defense substitution with Powell and Buchanan where he can to get Powell on offense and Buchanan on defense. TJ is more equipped to handle Frazier. TJ has a reputation of being an above average defender and he has 1in. and 10lbs on Frazier. Frazier has a very good, very well-rounded, game. Shoots 38% from the field, 31% from 3. He also hits 84% of his FTs so fouling him will result in a higher chance of him putting up points. To exploit any weakness of his, force him to shoot as many 3’s as possible. The sample size is large enough that 31% is what we can expect him to make. Buchanan/Powell can’t allow him to get towards to basket.

-Chris Gaston (#33): A 6’7” 231lb Forward. This guy has got some size to him. He is only Fordham’s 4th heaviest player and he still outweighs URI’s heaviest player (Ryan Brooks) by 10 lbs. He puts up 14 points per game and likes to score from down in the low post. He has zero 3-point attempts on the season which explains why he is shooting 46% from the field. His game is either going up and laying it in/dunking or take short-to-mid-range jumpers…often termed as “high percentage shots.” He is, however, less than stellar from the FT line. He is shooting 66% from the line. While the hack-a-Shaq approach won’t be as effective, I think it still should be followed. As an example, if he gets the ball down low three times and isn’t fouled and can get up to the rim, that is 6 points…now say he gets fouled those 3 times (by different people – to avoid any foul trouble), the numbers say that he will only hit 4 of the 6 shots resulting in 4 points instead of the 6. And as URI fans learned from Wednesday night, those 2 points can sometimes make all the difference. *This is assuming he plays.*

-Bryan Smith (#24): 6’2” 200lb Guard. This guy’s game is almost identical to Branden Frazier (see above). The numbers are basically the same but he takes far fewer shots per game and is not as much of a focus of the Fordham game plan. He will likely be guarded by Munford who is the same height but 20lbs. lighter. Now, this may seem counterintuitive, but Munford will actually have the advantage because of the weight discrepancy. In guard play, speed/quickness and length (height/wing span) are the key factor after having a high shooting percentage. Down low, size matters because of blocking out for rebounds and trying to back another guy down to the basket. With guards, the lighter you are the better because the lighter guard is quicker and can gain separation more easily for open shots. Munford will be able to handle Smith on his own and will be able to keep up with him to the point where Smith will get frustrated that he can’t penetrate the defense and will jack up 3’s and long 2’s.

Even though Fordham has a good number of players with size, they are all (with the exception of Gaston) ineffective and not a focal point of the game plan and only play 15-18 minutes per game. Fordham plays with a lot of guards on the floor. Out of the only 5 players Fordham has that play over 20 minutes per game, 4 of them are guards. This should help URI overcome their lack of size.

Thoughts on the URI Offense:
-This will be the game to really let Malone and Malesevic loose. They will be guarded by players smaller than them and will be able to get going early by driving to the basket for a few easy buckets and then as the players guarding them start giving them some space (as they don’t want to get beat again for another lay-up) those 2 can start shooting 3’s.

-I am not concerned about getting Munford going like the other 2. Munford is a lethal scorer and can certainly be counted on to get his points.

-If Munford can get his 18 points that he’s averaging and Malone and Malesevic can each score 11 or 12, URI should be able to continue their hot shooting.

Random Notes:
-URI should be able to continue their hot shooting and go for 3 games in a row of shooting 50%. Fordham is giving up 83.4 points per game over their last 5 overall and 71.6 points per game over their last 5 home games.

-URI is one of the top defensive teams in the A-10. If URI can put up 72 points, they win and they win easily.

-This will be the first game in a while where size will not be a disadvantage for URI. Outside of Gaston, the other 4 big men on the Fordham roster average 0.28 points per minute played.

What do you guys all think?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham just lost to Dayton (1-3) by 45 points. Dayton's first 3 games were losses to Butler, VCU and LaSalle - not exactly an easy way to start the A10 play against those 3 teams.
But a 45 point blow out???? Even without Gaston that is embarassing.
If we lose to Fordham, without Gaston, that would be crushing. If we win we still have a chance at the A10 Tourney
Munford leads the A10 in FT Percentage at 94.4% hitting 17-18 FT's - that's Jimmy Baronlike shooting.....and most of those FT's hit net only
I'd like to see Hurley let Munford really loose in this game - drive, take 3's, Munford will be the best player on the floor - let him go for 35 today.
Munford can make a play for being at least 3rd team all conference this year. He is 3rd in scoring at 19.3 ppg
Fordham leads the conference in Blocked shots - so Mike does not need to be driving inside to the hoop too much - we know what happens when the opponent is good at shot blocking
0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

I don't think we're going to blow them out. If we're nailing threes, they are toast, if not they could hang in there. They can be terrible (see Georgia Tech, Miss, and Dayton), but they have hung in there more often than not, and against some decent teams, (including UMass and Charlotte immediately before the Dayton humiliation). Having said that I think we win by 8 or 9.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

ramster wrote:Fordham just lost to Dayton (1-3) by 45 points. Dayton's first 3 games were losses to Butler, VCU and LaSalle - not exactly an easy way to start the A10 play against those 3 teams.
But a 45 point blow out???? Even without Gaston that is embarassing.
If we lose to Fordham, without Gaston, that would be crushing. If we win we still have a chance at the A10 Tourney
Munford leads the A10 in FT Percentage at 94.4% hitting 17-18 FT's - that's Jimmy Baronlike shooting.....and most of those FT's hit net only
I'd like to see Hurley let Munford really loose in this game - drive, take 3's, Munford will be the best player on the floor - let him go for 35 today.
Munford can make a play for being at least 3rd team all conference this year. He is 3rd in scoring at 19.3 ppg
Fordham leads the conference in Blocked shots - so Mike does not need to be driving inside to the hoop too much - we know what happens when the opponent is good at shot blocking
One thing I've noticed is that in the last two or three games, Mike P. has not gotten blocked once. I don't know if adjustments have been made to his game or if he's just been getting lucky, but hopefully we've seen the last of him driving down the lane getting stuffed.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Ramettes
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Ramettes »

Here is the video stream link for today's game: http://www.fordhamsports.com/allaccess/?media=338524 .
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

The link that twisted listed in the first post is up and working for me!

Thanks, twisted!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

that site is usually pretty liable
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

coaches vs cancer weekend (suits and sneakers everywhere)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Some day I'll be able to watch this team on tv, I hope.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Let's go rhody!!
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Fordham in a zone, URI has 2 3's already
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HobbyBurley »

It might be because I'm hungover but this play by play guy seems like he never takes a breath

Thanks for the link, finally good quality.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

ESPN box score has Jarelle Reischel starting, Malone off the bench.

They've put Minnis in a couple of games, too.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

ace wrote:ESPN box score has Jarelle Reischel starting, Malone off the bench.

They've put Minnis in a couple of games, too.
Guess they are just looking forward to next year like the rest of us...
Last edited by adam914 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

playing a little too fast right now, making some early mistakes
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

didn't like the second three that nik put up, not the best shot selection

also, gotta figure out how to play defense. Fordham is not that talented
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

If Fordham keeps shooting like this and getting these rolls it will be a long day.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Thanks for the link, Go Rhody.

Random note, Andre Malone played for a different head coach in each of his 4 years in college.

2009-10 : Jeff Lebo
2010-11 : Tony Barbee
2011-12 : Jim Baron
2012-13 : Dan Hurley
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

brooks giving some good minutes

rebounding seems to be an early plus for rhody...
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Unread post by RIhoopz14 »

Our D doesnt seem as tight as it normally is, they are finding open shots
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Shots all seem way off so far. They dont seem to really be in any kind of rhythm so far.
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

The big guy on the other team is already 2 pts away from his season high, with 11:59 left in the first half. yikes
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

really don't like the offense when mike p is on the bench
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Refs arent helping us out once again, i've seen two non-existent shooting fouls on Powell and Munford
0 x
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

Good to see Aaman in there!!!!!!
0 x
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

RIhoopz14 wrote:Refs arent helping us out once again, i've seen two non-existent shooting fouls on Powell and Munford
Seems like they're calling it pretty tight both ways so far.

Frustrating start.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

This Canty kid is a punk huh...
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

URI shooting 30%, fordham shooting 50%
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I like the elbow to Canty's gut by Hare - notthe greatest sprotsmanship but I like the toughness in Hare on that.
We are making Canty look like an All Conference player and he stinks.
Rebounding is #1 priority for next year
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I remember when that used to be called basketball. Now its a flagrant foul.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

how can they review that? and isn't a flagrant for above the shoulders only??
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
HobbyBurley
Jeff Kent

URI has 2 assists and 6 turnovers so far
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

All things considered, being tied right now is a gift. They are not playing well at all, and Munford has disappeared. We've seen this from him before though, and then he seems to be able to turn it on in the second half. I have a feeling we'll hear from him before this one is over.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Not much to like in this one, so far.
Worst half I've seen from Munford, on both ends of the floor.
Does he have relatives watching him at the game?
So, Hare elbows the punk Canty, and the guy grabs his shirt and swears at Hare.
The refs look at the tape and ignore what Canty did.
Amazing!
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
RIhoopz14
Kenny Green

getting sick of Malesevic's careless turnovers. Happens way too much
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

ugly half, glad to have the lead. need to take care of the ball, 8 TOs is way too much
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Ugly half.

I know we sure have a lack of talent this year, but Fordham looks worse.

Poor defense from Rhody, poor ball control, lots of things for Hurley to yell at them for

A positive has been getting to the free throw line, good aggressiveness shown by TJ most notably.

Need X to stay out of foul trouble in order to give us some scoring punch.

At times Aaman, Bigby, and Buchanan were on the court at the same time. That lineup is going to struggle offensively, and everybody was playing too poor on defense to justify it.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Pretty bad half as a team, we're lucky to be winning. I thought TJ and Brooks both played well, but didn't see much of anything out of anyone else. Nik is back to bumbling around and Powell looked lost out there towards the end of the half.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Canty stinks and he is killing us
Hard to watch
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Nice to see the refs pull that punk Canty out of there and tell him to shut the hell up
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

At least Canty is a crappy free throw shooter and was funny in Bridesmaids.

URI is being awfully careless with the basketball, which is concerning.

Smith should have just given him the layup there rather than tough guy him into the stanchion. Four more points for X.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus