Game #18- URI @ Fordham

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #18- URI @ Fordham

Unread post by RF1 »

Obadiah wrote:I didn't get to see the game, but Fordham fans are dumping all over Hurley and in the DalyDoseofHoops' review of the game there was a closing statement about Hurley that was rather harsh.

I could care less what Fordham fans think. Let them enjoy the win this season. At least we won't have a team this bad again next year. Are they able to say the same?
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Obadiah wrote:I didn't get to see the game, but Fordham fans are dumping all over Hurley and in the DalyDoseofHoops' review of the game there was a closing statement about Hurley that was rather harsh.
But from Jaden Daly? Who cares? It was a cheap shot, substantiated by nothing. There are a whole lot of respected people in this game who would vehemently disagree with him.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Can't wait to see what "Jaden Daly", whoever he is, says about next year's game, when have a complete team.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Maybe I am late to the game here, but did anyone else see, during the final URI timeout, the cameras were in on the Fordham bench and the head coach said that "if they get the ball call a timeout or just drive to the basket, we'll get the whistle"? I'm normall not one to blame the refs and even though there were some bad call both ways, the Fordham HC's statement seemed pretty telling of how the calls were going.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Tough loss, I was the fool who bet on URI
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, we've seen the best this team can be [the St Louis game], and now we've seen the worst [the Fordham game]

How good [or bad[ is this team?

Somewhere in the middle of that.

3 more wins this year, folks. Somehow. We'll still pull an upset or two, the Hurleys won't stop coaching.

As for the refs, it's as bad as I've ever seen it. Not just against us. Overall. There are a lot of bad officiating crews out there. The A10 had better seriously look into finding a way to upgrade this. Pay more to get better refs? Wonder what Dan and Bobby think about that right now?
0 x
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

The Dude wrote:I really don't know what to say. Losing to Fordham without Gaston and with Thomas fouling out, is an all time low. They just didn't show up in the second half. Plus, is it just me or does it feel like Rhody is getting shafted with blown or bad calls by officials lately?? Don't get me wrong...Fordham deserved to win even though some players were acting like a couple thugs, but the officiating just seems really bad...especially with the game on the line at the end. It's simply an observation, rather than a complaint.
Speaking of Thomas, he is the son of former Rhody player Chad Thomas.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Dude, yeah, the refs suck, but Rhody should never have been in a position to lose that game at the end anyway. We're not going to get the calls, simple as that.

The better we get, the better calls we'll get. That doesn't sound right, but it's a fact of life.

Dan and Bobby are doing EVERYTHING they can to get wins, it just isn't good enough right now. With all the sideline antics, it might even be costing us. Baron never got the calls either.

I just can't wait until we are not going life and death with teams like Fordham and GW. Next year, the close ones will be with the best teams in the A10.

At least I hope so. Stuff like this might make people question even the Hurleys right now. I'm not ready to go there though.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That Daly guy thinks Dan was provoking the other coaches? No, he was reacting to the officiating. Not saying he wasn't at times out of control (like when he went over half-court and had to be pulled back by his assistants - can't believe he wasn't T-d up for that!), but he wasn't directing any of it to the other bench. That should be very obvious.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Actually, Hurley and Pecorra know each other, and spoke to each other at points during the game.
I don't know who Dilly Daly is, but he sounds like a goof.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Ramtastico
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Ramtastico »

All this talk about refs??? WE GOT KILLED ON THE BOARDS--- Fordham got offensive rebounds when they needed them, case closed. Hate to pick on players, but Brooks is D3(no offense to D3 players) and Nik is a whiner. Rebounding is about position and effort. At least Hare will get some muscles soon.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Hurley is the coach who you love to hate as an opposing fan, but love as the coach of your own team.

As URI fans you'll hate the way I put this, but the guy is a jackass on the sideline. He's stomping his feet, he's coming way out of the coaches box to voice his displeasure, he's screaming at officials on the other side of the court. The guy is a wild man.

There will always be people who HATE it, and those who LOVE it. Fact is, a lot of the great coaches in college basketball are jackasses on the court, and as long as you get results, you will have support.

I'll always call him out as a PC fan for what he looks like, but fact is, he gets results doing it his way, and thats all that matters.

That paper isn't saying anything new.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Well, he's saying that URI got most of the calls in the game, which is objectively untrue.

I honestly don't see much difference between Hurley and any high energy coach on the sidelines (like say for an example...Cooley). The matter of degree isn't even that wide.

Just to refresh my memory, can anyone remember Hurley picking up a technical foul this year? Even Baron grabbed a few a season when he was here.

Edit: Looks like one against Ohio St and one against St Mary's.
Last edited by EasyEdBrown 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Brooks got 8 rebounds. Hare got 2.
10 fouls called on us in 10 minutes in the second half, says it all.
Replays showed lousy calls against us.
Again, on the tech to Hare, how can the refs review the tape, and see the Fordham punk grab Hare's shirt and swear at him, and not call a double technical?
Tell Dilly Daly to watch a replay of the YES broadcast.
As for Hurley's actions, yes, I can see where the opposing
fans would dislike his sidline act.
Sometimes you get more by picking your battles, unstead of screaming on every call.
The refs get so used to all the yelling, that it gets to be white noise, and
tuned out.
Hurley has been T'd up at least twice this year.
I'll start worrying about it when he throws a chair.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

EasyEdBrown wrote: I honestly don't see much difference between Hurley and any high energy coach on the sidelines (like say for an example...Cooley). The matter of degree isn't even that wide.
Personally, I wouldn't put them in the same category on the sideline. There are a lot of PC fans who wish Cooley would be more animated when on the butt end of a lot of bad calls. I don't think Cooley has been T'd up this year, and felt he was more animated last year (but no where near Hurley level).

On coaches I have personally seen work a sideline, I would put Hurley up there with the best of them (Calhoun, Boeheim, Pitino, etc.) in terms of stomping around, being wild, and as you put it "high energy."

That said, I don't think Cooley is an angel. While I don't think he is a jackass on the sideline, he is definitely a jackass in the media on several occasions. He's always holding kids more than accountable with vivid descriptions, etc. A lot of people hate that, but personally, I love it since the Coach before him allowed the team to do or say whatever they wanted.

But I do love Hurley in the media. I think he gets the perfect blend of accountability without going too far (which Cooley unfortunately does from time to time).
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Here's my first post.. Been following URI hoops since 1976.. Long cold walks to Keaney from the dorms. Wild rides to the Civic Center for PC games. Trip to NIT for NC game a couple of years ago. Still attending 4 to 5 games a year with my wife another avid fan..
I am with everyone that we are heading in the right direction with the Hurleys as long as they stay. The RC will fill again and be loud again just not this year..
Observations on Fordham game. I get mad at refs just like many others but why didn't X take advantage of that and go to the hoop with 15 seconds left as in GW game. Either a foul is coming or a dump off to someone open is a strong possibility IF officials stayed consistent.
Also, I am thinking refs are not into the constant Hurley histrionics.. Announcers are even noticing his many faces and rampages up and down the sidelines. I think it is great for the demeanor of the team and is working with this not too talented group of kids but tone it down with the refs. If you noticed at the end of yesterdays game lots of moaning from players other than Nik which is not a good thing.
Hope this team keeps plugging and looking forward to better things next year.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

rjsuperfly66 wrote: Personally, I wouldn't put them in the same category on the sideline. There are a lot of PC fans who wish Cooley would be more animated when on the butt end of a lot of bad calls. I don't think Cooley has been T'd up this year, and felt he was more animated last year (but no where near Hurley level).
I didn't know he toned anything down...admittedly I watched more PC last year than this year (only seen the 1 game).

Hurley kinda reminds me of Tarkanian without the towel and massive violations. But I was young when he was at his peak, so I could be misremembering.

Jeff Ruland sticks out as someone who is a coach that was much worse than anything you're seeing out of Dan this year.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Welcome Ram 1980. Look forward to your posts and
exchanging ideas with you.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

rjsuperfly66 wrote:Hurley is the coach who you love to hate as an opposing fan, but love as the coach of your own team.

As URI fans you'll hate the way I put this, but the guy is a jackass on the sideline. He's stomping his feet, he's coming way out of the coaches box to voice his displeasure, he's screaming at officials on the other side of the court. The guy is a wild man.

There will always be people who HATE it, and those who LOVE it. Fact is, a lot of the great coaches in college basketball are jackasses on the court, and as long as you get results, you will have support.

I'll always call him out as a PC fan for what he looks like, but fact is, he gets results doing it his way, and thats all that matters.

That paper isn't saying anything new.
No problem with that, and big Ed thinks he's a preacher or Obama reincarnate with his antics and general demeanor. Give me a break. There is always something to hate about your rival.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

"big Ed thinks he's a preacher or Obama reincarnate with his antics and general demeanor"
No, that would be Ray Lewis.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Having watched Dan coach for years, this is who he is as a coach, and it works for him. It makes me a little crazy, I'll admit. However, I have noticed that when he has players who pick up the slack with regards to intensity, he's a bit more calm (relatively speaking, of course). He's an emotional guy, good or bad, but the idea that he was "provoking" the Fordham coach is stupid. Like rod said, they know each other and are friendly. Pecora has a history with the whole family, having coached a number of former Friars.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

If Hurley wins no one will care how he acts on the sidelines. Two of the biggest agitators I've seen are Pitino and Boeheim. They've done pretty well.
As for Cooley, why would PC fans care if gets a tech or jumps up and down? Dean Smith used to coach as if he was listening to Beethoven, seldom broke a sweat. Worked well for him, too.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Ramblinrose wrote:If Hurley wins no one will care how he acts on the sidelines. Two of the biggest agitators I've seen are Pitino and Boeheim. They've done pretty well. As for Cooley, why would PC fans care if gets a tech or jumps up and down? Dean Smith used to coach as if he was listening to Beethoven, seldom broke a sweat. Worked well for him, too.
Yep, the only thing that doesn't work so well is asking a coach to act in a way that's not authentic.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I wish Kmac would stop doing stories and Hurley would stop talking about the in eligible players. There's too much basketball to be played this season. We know this team isnt great and next year will be better but I don't need to be reminded weekly.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like what I have seen of DHs sideline demeanor, I like the high energy

I also like the way he congrats the other teams coach after the game as opposed to CFL who would just race by the other teams coach without saying anything
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

I agree with everyone that we lost the game by letting Fordham get way too many Offensive Rebounds, we actually played pretty good defense all day. And yes the Ref's were terrible, and there was a whistle every single time down the floor.

Another point about Rhody's offense. In the second half, they never got the ball into the paint. I don't think they took a shot from closer than the 3 point line or just a step in. Every possession the ball was passed around the perimeter and then a contested jump shot was taken. I don't think any URI player had an open look in the second half. They needed a better offensive game-plan, at least in the 2nd half.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
NJRhodyFan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by NJRhodyFan »

I attended the game on Saturday, and aside from URI losing, the game was actually enjoyable to watch. Both teams played their butts off, and the the score was tight throughout.

Just a few comments regarding Hurley and his courtside demeanor. He is definitely an emotional guy, and I love to see that type of intensity from our head coach; there is no doubt that he's an extreme competitor, and our players seem to take on his personality on the court. But that emotion can sometimes work against you, especially in relation to the refs. The officiating was clearly below par for the game, but that works both ways. Bobby had to literally grab Danny a few times and calm him down because he appeared ready to blow a gasket. It seemed like Danny was barking at the refs after every whistle (ie: Jim Baron), and I was actually surprised that he didn't receive a technical on a few of those occasions. In fact, his "antics" were so irritating to some of the Fordham fans, that a few guys sitting in the row behind me appeared ready to charge the court and attack him! LOL

All of that being said, I think Danny is an excellent coach (from what I've seen first-hand), and his ability to motivate and instruct the players in-game is light years ahead of anything I ever saw from Baron. The future looks very bright for our beloved Rams. Hurley just needs to tone it down a bit when it comes to yelling at the officials, because some of them will interpret his enthusiasm and emotion as a means of embarrassing them, and that's not the reputation you want to inherit as we move forward in A-10 play.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As I said, pick your battles.
Can't scream on every call.
It becomes white noise to the refs.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Fun experience I had a while back:

I was able to sit in the first row behind the UConn bench when they played UWashington in late December (the same day that Kevin Ollie had his extension announced). Ollie had been up and screaming about every call for the first 10-12 minutes of the game, and during a timeout on of the refs came over and said: "You've been riding my a** on every single call I've made so far. I'm not that bad, I might miss one or two, but I haven't missed every single one. You need to lay off." Ollie was notably less animated for the remainder of the game.

Don't think it's the kind of thing that any ref would have said to Calhoun, but Ollie has yet to earn it. So too does Hurley, I would imagine.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

sf2010 wrote:Fun experience I had a while back:

I was able to sit in the first row behind the UConn bench when they played UWashington in late December (the same day that Kevin Ollie had his extension announced). Ollie had been up and screaming about every call for the first 10-12 minutes of the game, and during a timeout on of the refs came over and said: "You've been riding my a** on every single call I've made so far. I'm not that bad, I might miss one or two, but I haven't missed every single one. You need to lay off." Ollie was notably less animated for the remainder of the game.

Don't think it's the kind of thing that any ref would have said to Calhoun, but Ollie has yet to earn it. So too does Hurley, I would imagine.
Not to get too off topic...but one of my favorite Calhoun stories is one where after one of the games a players parent (parents tickets were right behind the bench) complained to Calhoun about how much he curses and yells at the players and refs during the games and how she didnt think it was appropriate. Calhoun listened and said he understood and thanked her for bringing it up. The next game the parents showed up and their tickets were on the other side of the court and on the opposite side of the benches.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

adam914 wrote:
sf2010 wrote:Fun experience I had a while back:

Not to get too off topic...but one of my favorite Calhoun stories is one where after one of the games a players parent (parents tickets were right behind the bench) complained to Calhoun about how much he curses and yells at the players and refs during the games and how she didnt think it was appropriate. Calhoun listened and said he understood and thanked her for bringing it up. The next game the parents showed up and their tickets were on the other side of the court and on the opposite side of the benches.
That's a good one.

As a PC fan, my favorite Calhoun moment would probably have to be the Gomes press conference after Gomes and Co. went to UCONN and beat #4.

"You want me to say I ****** up? I ****** up!"
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

URIGONZO wrote:I agree with everyone that we lost the game by letting [team xxxx] get way too many Offensive Rebounds
You can keep this quote for the rest of the season. This will apply to at least 75% of our remaining losses.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I looked at the late February schedule.
It's a killer.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

What I didn't like about the officiating was how they allowed the Fordham big man was continually getting away with pushing off on the offensive glass, and their forwards were allowed to go over the back of Malesevic and on one blatant occasion a guy climbed over Bigby to pull a rebound away in a key spot. I think the officiating was a key factor in the rebounding edge. That's why Hare and Malesevic were getting increasingly frustrated by the ticky tack calls against them when they were doing their jobs getting position and being bumped out of the way.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

There may have been 1 or 2 over the backs that went out-called, but URI simply got out-muscled under the basket. It could just be the lack of experience playing at this level, but I think Hare needs to play a lot more physical if he wants to be a good rebounder at this level. Same thing with Bigby, and Nik. The best rebounders aren't the always the biggest guys on the court. It's about toughness.

I feel like Charlotte did the same thing. They were the more physical, tougher team.
0 x
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Spot on Gonzo. We haven't played tough underneath all year. Maybe the refs could have made a few more calls but as a team early in the game the players need to realize how tight the refs are calling the game. If they are letting things go we have to become as physical as is allowed. If the whistles are tight then you tone it down. The problem with our bigs is they seem to only have one level and its not cutting it against the real physical teams.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

When was the last time we had a really tough inside player?
Baron recruited all these 200lb kids, who he said were,"athletes".
I watch Michigan State, year after year. Tom Izzo(who by the way, stands all game yelling at the refs)
doesn't get the top high school or prep players, like Kenutcky or UNC, but he always has a team that's tough as nails.
His frontcourt always looks like NFL guys who got hyjacked playing basketball.
I hope Oneykaba and Birutas are typical of the kind of frontcourt players Hurley and staff
want to bring in. Big, strong players, who at least look like they mean business.
I'm so tired of watching us get destroyed on the boards.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm confident Biruta can/will be that guy. He average 5.5 boards a game in the Big East as a freshman, so there is no reason to think he can't pull down 7-8 at least in the A10.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Marcel Momplaisir was good example of someone who wasn't physically as big as many of his opponents, but he always banged around down low and gave the effort, Seawright did as well for that matter.

I don't see anyone on this team giving that type of effort on the glass.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The weakest part of this team right now is rebounding, followed by scoring.

No such issues next year, at least on the rebounding end.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

Jordan's post defense is very bad. He didn't position himself well to deny the post entry, and when his man got the ball he simply planted his feet and stuck his hands up. His man simply took two dribbles around him and got an easy layup.

Right now I'm worried about his heart and willingness to be physical.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I'm still willing to believe/hope it will come with time. He could probably get away with doing that in high school and still block shots. Plenty of time for him to turn it around.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

He's going to have to pick up his game next year, like I've said, or he'll be ridin' the pine.

The big O and Biruta look far more physical. Hare will get better for sure, how much is the question.

I would guess that the guys who are playing, are getting dominated in practice, by the guys that aren't.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Rod, congrats on the season ticket holder deal, looking ahead to late Feb. sked being a killer? From we're stand, I think all games are killers.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938