In bounding the ball

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

In bounding the ball

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Is it just me or does this team have absolutely no clue how to in bounds the ball, regardless of who the coach is? Last year we couldn't inbound the ball if it was 5 on 0 and this year isn't any better. You'd think this wouldn't be a problem but it's happening way too much.
0 x
Go Rhody
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Re: In bounding the ball

Unread post by Andrew »

Touched on that in the game-day post. Last night was the first time I noticed it.
0 x
Go Rhody!
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Agree - I think this issue was specific to last night only. I remember thinking to myself "shades of Baron", but first time all year I've uttered those words in my head. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Also, when the game was on the line, Hurley drew up a play that got our best player a clean look at the basket.

That was accomplished despite the fact that everybody in the Ryan Center knew who was getting the ball.

In crunch time, it worked.

At least Hurley seems to know how to diagram a play to get a shot, while it seemed that the previous administration designed plays to pass it out to half court.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

There were plenty of times though where the in bounder just threw it from the baseline to past half court, including a couple turnovers.
0 x
Go Rhody
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

Agreed, but as others have mentioned, that's the first time this year that it's been noted as an issue. I think that's due to lack of ability by members of our current roster to fight free of coverage rather than a play-calling deficiency. Whereas in years past, when the talent WAS there, the play would always go out to half court. 60% of the time, every time.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

In bounding the ball should really have nothing to do with how fast you are or how big you are. It's all about body positioning. I could go out there and catch an inbounds pass...of course from there I wouldn't be able to do anything with it but that's a different topic.
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

Still love the way they're playing just want them I win more of those close ones so they don't get discouraged.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

How about the god-awful passes just over the half-court line that were intercepted and brought back by GW for easy lay-ups? How many times did that happen last night. And there were a few close ones that URI managed to get back.

THAT is the difference in a 1 point game.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

15 Year Lurker wrote:In bounding the ball should really have nothing to do with how fast you are or how big you are. It's all about body positioning. I could go out there and catch an inbounds pass...of course from there I wouldn't be able to do anything with it but that's a different topic.
Not sure I agree with this...if the guy guarding you has an athletic advantage (height, strength, quickness, anticipation, etc.) and is therefore able to position his body better than you are while also being able to dictate where you "position your body," getting open for an inbounds pass is less easy than it sounds.

You can also guess by my take on this were I fall in the effort vs. athleticism debate regarding rebounding (everybody "wants" the rebound by and large)... effort being only part of the picture whereas athleticism+luck of the bounce+positioning+effort=rebound
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

URIGONZO wrote:THAT is the difference in a 1 point game.
So was Jordan being 0-4 from the line.

So was X's in-and-out shot in the closing seconds.

So was the officiating.

So was MacDonald making a really tough contested jumper with 9 seconds left.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Well, they made a great inbound on the final play.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

GW was a tall and lanky team and quite athletic and used those strengths to clog the passing lanes. Against such a team you cannot be casual with your passes especially inbounds passes and the fact that GW had three breakaway steals and created some havoc on URI inbounding the ball is evidence of that. I don't see this as a basic problem for the Rams, but it is something to work on as prep for similar type teams.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Making casual passes is just being lazy, or not being mentall into the game. I can live with a missed open-look or a couple of missed foul shots. But these guys watch tape, they have scouting reports, they know GW is tall and lanky and gets into the passing lanes. No excuse for being casual with the basketball.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

There was one instance last night where URI received a 5 second call out of a time out. Needless to say Hurley blew a gasket and mouthing 'you gotta be fucking kidding me to Nik' on tv.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

I don't like Powell inbounding it. Too small. Near the end Hurley changed to Malone.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
URIGONZO
ARD

Hare should in-bound it and then head straight for the hoop. I'm sure that is something Hurley is thinking about, just wants to get him some more experience and confidence in handling the basketball.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

STC wrote:There was one instance last night where URI received a 5 second call out of a time out. Needless to say Hurley blew a gasket and mouthing 'you gotta be fucking kidding me to Nik' on tv.
I don't how it looked on TV but that was the fastest 5 second call I've ever seen. That ref with the white hair is a terrible ref. This is the 2nd game he's done this year at the RC and he has a penchant for inventing palming calls, 3 second violations and not understanding how goaltending works. Hope we've seen the last of him for a while.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Is this the ref we're talking about with the white hair?

He's worked 3 games so far in Kingston this year: Loyola, Brown, and GW
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/john-hughes/schedule
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Kind of like how I mentioned the ability to avoid fouls in the other thread, I think inbounding is one of those skills tied to athleticism that can go overlooked at times. With the Baron teams, I think it was more the Xs and Os, but with Hurley, I think it's more that the players lack the skill to execute the play, or the athleticism to post up / separate from their man, so usually, you're forced to throw in a loft pass to Powell, Malone or Munford frequently.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

I wish we had Bonzie Colson to inbound. He was great at it.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

ATPTourFan wrote:Is this the ref we're talking about with the white hair?

He's worked 3 games so far in Kingston this year: Loyola, Brown, and GW
http://statsheet.com/mcb/referees/john-hughes/schedule
Yep, this guy. Horrific. Any way to tell if he's scheduled for more games in Ryan this season?
0 x
Go Rhody!
Rhody77
Jim Eitner

Unread post by Rhody77 »

ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. (AP)--Michael Gerrity hit two free throws after a questionable foul call with less than a second to play and Charlotte rallied from a late five-point deficit to beat Rhode Island 75-73 in the first round of the Atlantic 10 Conference tournament Wednesday night.

I had to go look this up to find the year. It was 2008 but I'll never forget it.
The write up says it was called by Will Bush. It was right in front of me. It was Hughes.
He sucks
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Yeah, that was a horrible call in the A10 tournament. It was an illegal screen or something 5 feet from the center jump circle. Just ridiculous.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

That is him, somebody needs to tell him to swallow his whistle. Hopefully he's done at the Ryan.
0 x