Game #17: George Washington - GameDay!

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Re: Game #17: George Washington - GameDay!

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

buchanan big steal....Malone for 2 . plus 5
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Bring it home ATP
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Defense changes when everyone has 3 or 4 fouls.

I got this, ECR!!!!!!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

GW on 7-0 run . 63-61 GW up with 2 mins left. Disano just called it - we are looking tentaive on offense. Powell picks up a cheap foul #5 with 58 seconds left
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Can't see the game, but just based on the situation that's not a good foul.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Mike Sr just threw his laptop through the window, I hope!!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lets get a stop!
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

was a bad foul- way away from the basket. X just with a major take to the basket to go up one. GW timeout with 28 secs left. Now down 1 - big shot by freshman over TJ. 3.8 seconds left- URI timeout. Lets get it
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Not your fault ATP...

We'll get some players next year
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

X had a good look for a baseline 3 for the win . Didnt go down. Hare with put back attempt which was partially blocked. Hurley looking for a foul call . Announcers said there was contact. Replay looked like it was a pretty good block with minimal contact on Hare's hand after intitial contact with the ball
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

we got the shot we wanted (X with a semi open J in the corner), rimmed in and out, Hare went for the putback and looked like on the replay he was fouled

they didnt call it, hurleys irate, we lose

powell worst game of the season for him, but he was due 1 with such a long stretch of consistent play

Andre and TJ both contributed all over the court today, would like to see more of that from Malone he has it in him.

X was solid again and Nik played pretty well.

another one we shoulda coulda woulda won.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Goddamnit
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Disappointing this one we had ops but again can't bring it home. Can the players sitting out give us boards??
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Horrible refs, inconsistent officiating, too bad munford didnt hit that shot to stick it to gw. Just another game that uri lost close and these are mounting. I think hurley needs to take a timeout to advace the ball on that final play as there wasnt much there with tj. This could have given us a chance to get a better shot than a three. We shot 50% and didnt win thats not good, they even missed a bunch of ft.
Last edited by RhodeIslandBred 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

section(105) wrote:Disappointing this one we had ops but again can't bring it home. Can the players sitting out give us boards??
Yes, I imagine Biruta and Onyekaba will be able to get a rebound or two. Or 10.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

and Aaman and Reichel and Martin.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Lost this game on the glass - specifically the offensive glass. Stat sheet is pretty even otherwise. Wonder how much of a difference Aaman could have made.

If I were a pessimist I would be talking about how our issue with closing out games survived the coaching change (in my Eeyore voice), but I'm not so instead I will say that I'm confident that Hurley will get it corrected. Old habits die hard, I guess.
0 x
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

RhodeIslandBred wrote:Horrible refs, inconsistent officiating, too bad munford didnt hit that shot to stick it to gw. Just another game that uri lost close and these are mounting. I think hurley needs to take a timeout to advace the ball on that final play as there wasnt much there with tj. This could have given us a chance to get a better shot than a three. We shot 50% and didnt win thats not good, they even missed a bunch of ft.
Can't advance the ball with a TO in college, that's an NBA-only rule. Worst rule in professional sports if you ask me - why should the last minute dictate that you get a 70-foot advantage with a TO when that's not the case the whole game?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Hate to lose, but if they have to lose this way, better this year than next.

Still get no respect from the refs, especially at home. How many D1 teams does this happen to at home?

Any time these games are close at the end, it can go either way, but you would think it would go the home team's way more often.
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

What a shame! Played hard, but found a way to lose again. Fouls called tight all night until the last one. Great game to watch though as most of them are with this group. If Malone and Malesevic continue as they have in the past two games and Hare keeps improving they will win some of these.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

rambone 78 wrote:Hate to lose, but if they have to lose this way, better this year than next.

Still get no respect from the refs, especially at home. How many D1 teams does this happen to at home?

Any time these games are close at the end, it can go either way, but you would think it would go the home team's way more often.
Agreed rambone even when the boos were at their loudest there were a few makeup calls but not enough to make up for all of the chippy fouls they called against us.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Hare needs to do better at the line. 0-4tonight was a killer. Now only 16-35 (.457) for the year.
Last edited by RF1 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

TruePoint, I share the frustration with losing close games. It's still happening like years past, but with one big difference:

We lost a lot of close games under Baron due to stupid unforced errors on offense and defense, time and time again.

This is decidedly NOT the case this year.

It's just going to take a while before these games start to go our way. We're getting NO respect from the refs, it's like they know we're short on talent, and they're not about to help us out.

By next season, this team is going to be good enough to avoid a lot of these close games, and win by daylight. The key will be winning them against the better teams, which I think they will. Look at Butler tonight. Even THEY lost a one point game! Rare for them, but it happens, and it's going to happen again.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Tough one....but well played and coached.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

RIBred, I think the fouls issue has to do with the style of D Rhody plays under the Hurleys.

The aggressive defense Rhody plays, doesn't play well with some refs. I'm not saying that's right, just the way it is right now.

As for the foul shooting, URI actually shot them a little better then GW.

What happened to the FG defense though? GW shot 50% from the field too, that's a lot better then they usually do also. Even though we shot well, we're not going to win many games when we allow the opponent to shoot that well.

Rebounding was the difference between this being a 1 point game, and us winning by 10 or so. Next year, that will no longer be an issue.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game #17: George Washington - PreGame

Unread post by RF1 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Dan challenges the student body and Rhody Nation to show up and support the Rams Wednesday night!
According to the box score, 4111 came out on a very cold night.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Even Kevin McNamara said Hare was clearly fouled on that last play, still would have had to hit at least one of the free throws, which is far from a given.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I will say this going forward:

If URI keeps playing [and shooting] like this, they will be in every game here on out, with the probable exception of the VCU and Butler games.

A lot more close games, and we'll win a few. The problem is, unless we win more than a few, this loss makes it much harder to even think about going to NY.

At least by the end of this season, the rest of the A10 will know what's coming for them starting next year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley's teams will tend to foul a lot. This is a problem when there's only 8 players. I'm impressed they were able to stay with it with some of the combinations that were forced out there tonight.

I mean, Ryan Brooks is averaging 17 minutes a game on this team... Ryan Brooks, y'all!

TJ had a 3 and a dunk tonight, fun to see if nothing else.
Last edited by ace 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

We're not Duke. They would have called it at Cameron Indoor. That's life in the college basketball pecking order, which we're at or near the bottom right now.

Unless the call is blatantly obvious, they're not going to call that at the end. Fouling the shooter on a game's last shot, is hardly ever called. Sucks, but true.

If this happened, say late next year with an NCAA at large berth on the line, I'd be livid, for sure.
0 x
Andrew
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Andrew »

Just got home from the game. X played well, Malone was much more aggressive which was nice to see, and Nik played pretty well also. Was one of Powell's weaker games, and his last foul was atrocious. He's 30 feet from the basket, and he tried to pick the guy from behind, when he already had 4 and the "refs" were calling it tight all game. Terrible decision.

Officiating was atrocious. Both teams were in the bonus with 10 minutes to go in each half! Horrible, horrible job. Gotta let people play a bit and swallow the whistle.

Obviously got killed on the boards, but I think we played pretty well defensively. They got a lot of put backs, especially in the 1st half. Aaman would have helped today.

Not gonna argue with game mgmt. Rushed the guys down the court without a TO to get GW out of position. After a time out, play call was good, X got a look, and it just didn't fall. It happens. There's no way a foul gets called in the last second like that - never does. We had a ton of trouble inbounding the ball the entire game for some reason. Very unusual. Looked like last year, with the inbounder tossing it at least to half court.
0 x
Go Rhody!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

My take.
One of the worst officiated games I've seen in a long time.
When did you see everyone with at least three fouls?
TJ played his best game of the year, but what I don't get was his rushing down the floor
trying to score ,in the last minute.
Munford's game is getting better and better. Some of his passes were Rondo-like.
His last shot was a good one. It just popped on him.
Malone was terrific in the second half.
Nik was fine.
So, in theory, we had three guys between 20-16 points, and we still lost.
Powell's last foul just was silly. tags the guy 40 feet from the basket.
Bad game or not, I still want the ball in his hands in crunch time.
He certainly sees the floor better than TJ.
Big GW margin on rebounds and second chance points.
I thought Hurley was going to have a stroke at the end.
Tough, tough loss.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

another positive note, i think Hare had his first official back to the basket move tonight. just missed on the lefty layup, and then bricked 2 free throws.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

On X's shot, two inches one way and it's in. That's how close that loss was.

If Aaman played, they would have won.

A lot of what-ifs. Always is, when it's a loss. GW was lucky. I will say this, though. They are better than previously thought. A mid pack A10 team this year. We're not that far from that.

They won't be in position to get lucky against us next year.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

0 x
Rambone65
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Rambone65 »

Hurley can stroke all he wants. The other guys missed 12-24 at the line. We were lucky to have a chance at the end after getting manhandled on the boards by a team starting four diapers.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Some of these bottom tier A-10 teams have bright futures with young talent and aggressive coaches.....only Fordham seems to have no up-side.....too bad...a great academic school in a great media market city.....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Rambone65 wrote:We were lucky to have a chance at the end after getting manhandled on the boards by a team starting four diapers.
Freshmen or not, GW has size and rebounds. Having Aaman would have helped, maybe Hare being able to play more in the first half, too.

Why so many Rambones?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I like Rambone, but he needs to learn to use the edit feature to put his thoughts on one post.
Maybe GW's freshmen are good?
The same kid that beat us, also beat UMass.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

we got a good shot to win, I thought it was in and that Hare was fouled on the rebound put back. Refs didn't really allow either team to get into a rhythm until the last 8 minutes or so. Way too many whistles tonight, we need real refs.
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

rodfromcranston wrote:I like Rambone, but he needs to lear to use the edit feature to put his toughts on one post.
But apparently there's two of them now?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, yeah. Weird. One guy has only one post, and it's a shot at Hurley.
I'm not saying it........
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sounds like we had a tough loss

Good to see Andre getting it going
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rambone 78 wrote:RIBred, I think the fouls issue has to do with the style of D Rhody plays under the Hurleys.

The aggressive defense Rhody plays, doesn't play well with some refs. I'm not saying that's right, just the way it is right now.
Well, also, as the skill level of the players improves, you also get players who can play better defense without fouling as well.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

One of the most boring close games I have attended at the RC. Reminded me of the Howie Smith years. The officials stopped any flow to the game. What a grind. On one hand, URI's tenacious defense creates a situation for officials to call these types of games - but many of the fouls were tic-tac and could have been overlooked because they disadvantaged no one.

It was good to see X come out shooting. MikeP was not guarded until he crossed half-court which kept him fresher - but he didn't have a good game. With MikeA, we probably win.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

The view from 205
1. Students did show up. We would be nowhere near 4000 if they didn't. Thumbs down to the season ticket holders who took night off, especially in 205. The only positive was that I could be more loud and obnoxious without offending my neighbors.
2. X was tremendous, again.
3. Refs - in both halves, GW was shooting one and one after about 7-8 minutes. For a team that has no bench this was a killer. The white haired ref (name? actually, I used a couple of good ones during the game) did a poor job officiating. I counted at least three no call travellings against GW, when they finally called one it was the outside official who called it while Mr. Whitehair, right in front of the play refused to blow the whistle.
4. Boxing out on foul shots - good grief
5. GW played some good defense, and we had a difficult time in bounding the basketball.
6. GW went zone for awhile, which gave us a couple of open looks.
7. TJ played fine, take the shot when you have it.
8. Two in a row for Nik, let's keep it going.
9. Not making excuses, but when Powell screwed up the fast break that would have put us up seven, - how many times do we actually fast break in a game. I know they practice it all the time - game conditions?
10. Andre really gets up on his jump shots - great second half.
11. If Hare does go to the foul line with no time left, any thoughts on how many he would make?
12. When I returned home to Manchester, telling my wife about the last minute of the game, she responded by saying "you've seen alot of these in fifty years". Sadly, yes
13. No one works harder for forty minutes than coach.
14. There will be payback next year!
15. Go Rhody, see you next Wednesday.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

We probably should have known the officiating was going to be "interesting" when Malone got called for a carry in the first minutes of the game. A carry?! Didn't know they called that anymore.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

I don't know who rambone65 is, but he ain't me.

There must be a shortage of good refs these days. We don't get many good ones at the RC lately.

As we get better, maybe the A10 will start assigning better ones to our games. I know they will deny that issue, but it sure looks like it.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

From looking at the box score and play by play line, it was not the officiating that beat URI. Rhody lost this game in the final 5 minutes with their inability to close it out after building a slight lead. This same problem cost them wins in games against Seton Hall and Loyola-Md earlier in the season. Rhode Island led GW 61-56 with 5:01 left when Andre Malone hit a jumper. During the last five minutes of the game, URI went 2-7 from the field and turned it over twice. GW went 4-6 from the field and 1-2 from the ft line in that same span. That was the difference.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

While that was, bar none, the worst officiated game in a long time (you know it's bad when the church known as the Ryan Center boos the refs collectively more than 5 times), Mike Powell lost that game for us.

He's made such strides this year, but he straight pooped his pants when it counted.

We were in that game despite the officials, and had a 5 point lead with 4-5 mins left. We got the ball off a steal or long rebound, Mike is coming down the right side of the floor with 2 big men in front of him, and one rhody player trailing.

Instead of doing the smart thing, slowing down and setting up the offense - he decides to go for the body of the defender, not the basket. He made it so blatantly obvious that he was going for the body because he stepped off the path to the basket, and lowered his shoulder. As bad as these refs were that was the one call they got right.

That lead to a 7-0 GW run, and eventually our loss.

On the referreeing note - there has to be some kind of discourse or formal complaint that URI can lodge with the A10 because we've get getting f**ked raw a couple games, but this was one of the worst these eyes have ever seen.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL