URI Basketball Right Now

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

URI Basketball Right Now

Unread post by Blue Man »

We stand at 6-10 right now - obviously Hurley doesn't think that's good enough, and we've certainly let wins slip away, but here are the positives:

We are 1 win away from our win total last year, and not even a full season into a rebuilding process.
Our RPI is 137. SOS is 16.
We're coming off one of our biggest road upsets probably in a decade.
We are playing controlled, consistent basketball (offense is ALWAYS inconsistent, even on teams that can score). We're top 25 for least turnovers per game.

We also stand on the precipice of a couple of winnable games, leading to potentially the highest ranked team to come into the Ryan Center for a game since St. Joes was here almost a decade ago, and an opportunity to do something we haven't done since before the turn of the century.

I'm not saying or predicting anything - but everyone should be all in for the rest of this season to see how far these guys can go. Our boys have earned it.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: URI Basketball Right Now

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I hadn't thought about us having more wins than last year, but we could by the
end of the week.
I think maybe Xavier, Dayton and Temple came in here ranked higher in some years, than the 24 or so that VCU will
come in with.
The thing I see on this board from some is, "we'll wait until next year to support the team".
I understand it's not the prettiest or most talented team to watch, and our record isn't good, but they work so
hard, and hustle so much, while never quitting.
They deserve better than, "we'll sit it out and come back when they're winning."
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Our SOS is end going to end up being pretty darn good. We still haven't played Temple, Xavier, Butler and VCU. I know Fordham at Bonnies will even that out a bit, but shouldn't kill it like in seasons past.

At large bid anyone?
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rodfromcranston wrote: I think maybe Xavier, Dayton and Temple came in here ranked higher in some years, than the 24 or so that VCU will
come in with.
VCU is 19/16 right now, I can't see them losing or dropping since they play richmond and la salle. I'm figuring they'll be top 15 in at least the coaches, maybe 15-16 in the AP

But everything else I agree with. Time for people to hop on now and support what we've got.

Like Hurley said - "if you don't appreciate effort, you just don't get it."
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

It will be an awesome thing to watch I will be there rooting them on!! Here's the thing this isn't the most talented offensive team, however the way these kids play defense and the overall effort they give it's just awesome to watch. What I can say about this team is that there is a consistency to the way they play even if their offense isn't consistent. These kids never give up fighting and they will fight every team on every play. I love that Hurley has instilled that mindset to his players and you can tell that he only kept players that with the right mindset to fight for every play. This mindset is what will allow us to beat any team on any given night and while it will be hard to predict which games they will win or lose, because the offense comes and goes, this team will be fun to watch either way. And when that offense gets better and consistent-- you'd better watch out.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

The team and coaching staff better get a loud standing ovation when they take the court Wednesday night. I know of at least two other fans in Sec 205 who will help me make some noise for them.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Wish i could be there Wednesday night but daughters soccer at 7 PM rules me out. Let's keep this going!!!
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

thanks atp - :)
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The way this team has played so far at 6-10 already has me wanting to move back across the country and get season tickets. I fear how I'll feel once we start winning on a regular basis...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I've been to a few games this year. I go looking for signs of hope, that things will develop as time goes on. I'm not surprised people haven't been turning out in big numbers. Fans tend to jump on board when teams win with a hardcore faithful that sticks around no matter what.
A year ago, there was no hope. Only hope for getting rid of Baron. The only significant down point for me this season is the possible break up of the A-10 and wondering where URI will land if it comes to that.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I got hooted down when I suggested staff should be in on this St. Anthony's kid.
Think we could have used a real forward putting up similar numbers?

Jon Rothstein‏@JonRothstein

Miami is agreeing with Jerome Frink --- and we're not just talking about the weather. FIU's 6-6 freshman F averaging 9.5 PPG + 7.3 RPG.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I don't want to see this team quit and regress, and I don't think Hurley will allow this to happen. I didn't get depressed during Tyson's freshman year, and I am not now. We are fading in games because of fatigue and a talent short bench. All this will change next year. Players at URI today (in and out of uniform) represent an increase in talent; and more are coming in. I plan on being there Wednesday night.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

The fact that this team is 6-10 given last years 7-24 debacle is a minor miracle. Hurley is a star coach in the making, bottomline. Then you also take into consideration losing the 3 best players off last years shitty team (Holton, Outerbridge, Baron) and this team should be one of the worst in D1. Credit to Hurley for not only being competitive game in and game out but I have to give him an A grade so far for being on the cusp on tying last years win total.

I don't see how you can give Hurley anything less than an A whether it be on court results or the tremendous job on the recruiting trail.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Well, the only thing, if you really want to nitpick, would be the fades at the end of a few games earlier this season. But of course, can you attribute that to coaching, or just not enough depth with guys getting tired at the end of those games? For the most part, I would go with the latter explanation.

So, do you give the Hurleys an A, or an A+?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I thought they didn't give A+ at URI, but I certainly could be mistaken. I didn't sniff an A+ in my four years of academic "excellence" so I wouldn't know.

Hurley deserves and A+. I think they fade due to the lack of depth, that bench is so short. Looking at some of the minutes played in the box scores are startling.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

As many expected overall we are in good place and opposing coaches have gotta think I am not looking forward to playing uri now and especially down the road.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

If you aren't excited about where URI is heading then you either aren't paying attention or you're a Friar fan. You can't really say that a 6-10 team has "arrived," but they're clearly ahead of schedule. We are an improved team with a roster half the size and less talented than last year's 7-24 embarrassment, and I get giddy thinking about what we are going to do with a full roster that is much more talented and with another year in the Hurley system.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Everything is going according to plan as far as I am concerned

I am still jacked as ever
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Reef, when are you coming back East to take in a game at the Ryan Center?
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
BH06
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BH06 »

RI Ranked 13th in Eamonn Brennan's A-10 Power Rakings, Above GW even after Wednesday's loss.

"Whatever their limitations, the Rams believe. It's exciting stuff to see."

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... ngs-a-10-6

I think this team has some upsets in them. We may lose to some teams we should have beat (see GW,) but will beat some teams we should have no chance against (see St Louis.)

I predict at least one more big upset this season, (Temple looks like a good target) and wins against Fordham, Duquesne. I think they will take one of two from Umass (hopefully at home,) we might steal one from either St Joseph's or (I can't believe I'm saying steal a home game against...gulp) St. Bonaventure.

Ideally, wins @ Temple, @ St. Joes, and vs. Umass would be a great way to end the season, propel us to the A10 tourny, and would hopefully get the fans excited about next year. That would put us with 5 or 6 conf wins and a good shot at the 12 seed heading to Brooklyn, considering how jumbled-up the A10 is this season.

I'd be very happy with a 11-12 win season with this team especially after last year.
0 x
"Success is how you bounce on the bottom." - Gen George S. Patton
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

With the loss by URI to GW and the recent successive road wins of both GW and SBU, it is looking more likely that Rhody will not be going to Brooklyn this season. The Colonials and Bonnies were the two other programs that URI was fighting with for 12th place and the last bid to the A-10 Tournament. It now appears that unless things take a dramatic turn that Rhode Island's best hope is for a 13th place finish just ahead of Fordham and Duquense. Getting double digit wins and avoiding 20 or more losses would be a reasonable goal at this point. This would be a slight improvement over last year and something to build on. Considering that the A-10 is stronger and Rhody probably has less talent than last year, this should be looked at as an accomplishment. Change unfortunately does not come all at once.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I will finish the topic of this thread

URI Basketball right now

IS VERY BAD!
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The program is at one of the lowest ebbs ever. To lose to a school like Fordham two years a row is devastating. Further depressing is their fans now think they can make it to Brooklyn.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No excuse to lose to a bottom dweller like Fordham but I am still jacked about this future

We arent going places this yr so wins dont really mean as much as opposed to when we are bubbling
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

We won't be losing to Fordham again for a long time to come.

Next year we'll wax them by 30.
0 x
gene1052
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by gene1052 »

I hear and read that this season will be a tough one. My question is who do you see as our scorers for next season.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

Matthews, Munford, Biruta, Reischel, Martin, Youncofski, Onyekaba...these guys all have offensive talent.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Scoring next year will come from all over the court.
Munford, obviously. Biruta and Oneykaba inside.
Reischel is an all around scorer, who can shoot and drive.
Matthews and Martin will add athleticism, and running ability.
Minnis is a good driver. Powell should be improved even more.
With these athletes in Hurley's defensive system, scoring will also come from turnovers.
He won't have to slow the pace to conserve his limited numbers,
and limited offense.
The wild card is, who Hurley and staff bring in for the two openings.
If they can bring in Jon Severe, you have a real shooter coming off the bench, and
succeeding Munford the following year.
Coach Carr told me that they were also looking for another bigman.
All these new players will take a while to blend, but when they do,
depth and scoring shouldn't be a problem going forward.
0 x
gene1052
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by gene1052 »

Is Youncofski someone new have not seen that name mentioned
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Sorry it was a joke...he's a walkon that (I think it was against St Mary's) the announcers said was a key missing piece from the Rams on that game.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

He's a 5'8" walkon. He was injured, according to the St. Mary's announcers,
and a reason we lost.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Also Rod, Biruta can stretch the floor too. He has legit 3 point range that he kept bottled up at Rutgers.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Biruta needs to keep it bottled up. With his size; he shouldn't ever leave the paint. Careful on looking fo rofense out of teh big O. Still very raw. I see him being a banger and a defensive presence first, offense later
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've seen the Big O show some moves that bely his experience
Wicked drop steps, aggressively finishing.
Biruta might have come here with the promise that he could work on his mid-range game for the next level.
Kind of like ARD in his senior year, hoisting up 3 pointers.
I agree, I'd rather see an inside presence from our bigs. I still have nightmares about
Holton being given the greenlight to throw up bombs from everywhere. Ugh!
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Sean,

There is nothing inherently wrong with your 4 having the ability to hit the 3-pointer.....it stretches the defense....so long as your 4 doesn't fall in love with the long ball....

.....I think with the potential scorers on the team (I say potential because I have never seen them play or they are transfers who are not always as advertised) I believe Big O, Aaman and a physically improved Hare will only have to provide defense, rebounding and the occasional low post move...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

seanmc94 wrote:Biruta needs to keep it bottled up. With his size; he shouldn't ever leave the paint. Careful on looking fo rofense out of teh big O. Still very raw. I see him being a banger and a defensive presence first, offense later
have you ever seen him play?
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

With the addition of at least 6 new players Dan will be able to play his style of defense from the get go. It will allow him to keep fresh bodies on the floor at all times. They've played good defense this yr & I expect even more pressure defense next which, hopefully, will turn in to more transition baskets. With Biruta at the "4" we should be a much better rebounding team which will also get us out & running for easier shots. That's not to say we won't be good in the half court sets, but this yr we struggle in the half court, don't rebound well, & get very few transition baskets.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I'm impressed how Hurley has been willing to call out Nik for lack hustle or just dumb court sense, getting a tech when he is already in foul trouble, for instance.
I don't think Dan will shed many tears when Nik's time is up. Nik is a warm body right now for this coach, not much more.
The player who has disappointed me most if Hare. I guess I just had higher expectations. He is young and lean and I hope the staff can mold him into something better. Not writing him off, but the hype was better than this.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Holton had a better first year than what Hare's is shaping up to be. Hope I'm wrong given the season is far from complete. Makes you wonder about the various rating systems on recruits.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

With Hare the main problem right now is his weight and his effort. There are some plays on D when he gets scored on just because he is physically not strong enough to body up his man, but there are also just as many plays where he doesn't move his feet or make any attempt to prevent his guy from getting to the bucket. The Canty dunk in the 1st half was a perfect example of this.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Biruta yes, live a few times
O just on video
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

Things aren't great right now, but they could be worse. Baron could still be here, or we could be Northern Illinois...

http://deadspin.com/5979325/northern-il ... dent-recap
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

I would like to see them try to get Hare involved a little more on offense. I know he doesn't show much yet, but now is the time to work on it. There were at least 2 times in the Fordham game when he was on the baseline 3 to 4 feet behind defender with ball at top of key asking for the alley oop. This is his strength right now.. Try it at least a couple of times a game. It may give him more confidence on both ends of the court. I am afraid his frame will never bulk up enough to deal with bigger guys under the hoop. He needs to use his athleticism to be of help. He has shown flashes, but few and far between. He wants to score some. Find a way to get it done now to get him ready for next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

How about somebody teaching him shooting technique?
Enough people on staff who knew how to shoot. What's the problem?
He just throws the ball at the hoop, instead of shooting it.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:How about somebody teaching him shooting technique?
Need to send him to a big man camp this summer if possible.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Hare needs more than weight. With his frame, I don't know how much noticeable weight Hare can add. He'll never look like Jason Francis. He needs to get stronger, a lot stronger. Maybe that will give him more confidence to play with the bigger players. Making a free throw every now and then won't hurt, also.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

adam914 wrote:
rodfromcranston wrote:How about somebody teaching him shooting technique?
Need to send him to a big man camp this summer if possible.
Will Martell went to a big man camp, didn't he? I know he wasn't the best of big men, but he developed a few nice moves around the basket as his URI career went on.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I think Hare will be a double digit scorer as early as next season though.

I do think he'll develop a move and touch shot...along with some weight that he'll add.

But the key is that he won't be stuck at the 5 ever, and won't be matched on someone else's banger. He'll be free to get open runs to the hoop, and he's a hell of a lot more athletic than most 4's. I think we'll see a lot more oops to Hare next year when he's free to get those looks.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL