OT: Manti T'eo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

OT: Manti T'eo

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: OT: Manti T'eo

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Where have you been?
Manti's tragedies are well known.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

Rod, that's saying it's not real that it was all a hoax
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Yes, francesa going nuts

ND just issued statement.. They said T'eo was a victim in the hoax..
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

twisted3829 wrote:Rod, that's saying it's not real that it was all a hoax
Exposed as a linebacker against Alabama. Exposed as a person by Deadspin.

This is as bad as it gets.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Actually.. As francesa points out.. The wording issued by ND doesn't really exonerate T'eo..

More 2 come I am sure
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I didn't initially read the link, I thought it was just a regurgitation of the story.
How could he be the victim of a hoax?
If my girlfriend and grandmother died, I think I'd know if it were true or not,
and sure as hell would realize the truth within hours.
Not sure what sicko game is being played here, but, wow!
What a world.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

Allegedly he never met the "girlfriend"
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is too bad and I believe Teo is the true victim

Stuff like this happens online all the time

He obviously met someone online who tried to take advantage of him
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

reef wrote:This is too bad and I believe Teo is the true victim

This South Bend Tribune article (that has now been removed from online) sure does make it sound like they met...
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Teo is the true victim?

Before we get into all of the lies about who met who, and the fact that they apparently met in person - what NFL caliber/Heisman Trophy candidate would date A FAKE GIRLFRIEND THAT HE MET ONLY ONLINE!?

Did you also know a nigerian prince told me I won $500,000 through email? I'm going to put a new court in the Ryan Center when the check comes in.

Johnny Football, AJ McCarron - that's the level of talent T'eo was grouped in with...shit, even F list celebrities on dumpy reality shows no one watches score 10s. The people that get actually catfished are pathetic, sad, lonely, homebodies that have no social life, and no life outside of whatever they have on the internet.

Plus, you're going to tell me that the star employee of your billion dollar organization has a girlfriend that he wants to see (or meet) and there's no way for Notre Dame to accommodate that? For 3 years? BS.

Now getting back to the fact that he blatantly LIED about meeting her, her visiting him, etc - and what you have is one of the sickest, most sociopathic pleas for attention - probably to garner a nifty story for a Heisman candidate, or whatever other reason someone would have for that kind of attention - and one of the worst human beings on planet earth.

No surprise he comes from Notre Dame though - where they sweep real deaths under the rug, and glorify the fake ones.

Pathetic.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

reef wrote:This is too bad and I believe Teo is the true victim

I can buy that he was initially the victim of a hoax/prank but he found out the truth a LONG time before he is letting on. And he let it become part of his narrative. Hell, Teo and ND let one of the networks run a story of the two tragedies after ND knew about it on 12/26.

Tell me how you supposedly have been talking to a girl every night for four months, she gets into a car accident, but you never try to call her in the hospital room to find out if she was OK? Never send flowers to the funeral home, let alone try to make the funeral?

Not buying it one bit.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Something's rotten in Denmark.

Turned on espn last night, and all they had on was the ND guy going on and on about it.

Must truly have been a slow sports night.

As far as I'm concerned, who gives a crap?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

rambone 78 wrote:Something's rotten in Denmark.

Turned on espn last night, and all they had on was the ND guy going on and on about it.

Must truly have been a slow sports night.

As far as I'm concerned, who gives a crap?
I only care because ND is the most fake-righteous, pius, undeserving university in the history of college sports.

It is literally 100% their fault for the conference realignments and the BCS.

I'm so sick of them being able to sweep shit under the rug...like that time Brian Kelly killed a kid, and just keep moving on ala penn state.

I just want them held accountable and called out for being the dicks that they are.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Blue Man wrote:No surprise he comes from Notre Dame though - where they sweep real deaths under the rug, and glorify the fake ones.

Pathetic.

. . .

I only care because ND is the most fake-righteous, pius, undeserving university in the history of college sports.

It is literally 100% their fault for the conference realignments and the BCS.

I'm so sick of them being able to sweep shit under the rug...like that time Brian Kelly killed a kid, and just keep moving on ala penn state.

I just want them held accountable and called out for being the dicks that they are.
Stand by for TruePoint's rebuttal in

0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

ND does it the right way, and have done so over the years.
The most storied school in college athletics history.
They have been for a reason.
To compare them to what happened at Penn State is ludicrous.
Anyone who denies this is just a hater. Period.
Calling them names is just plain immature.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

http://deadspin.com/5976640/espn-report ... ifferently

"ESPN senior columnist Gene Wojciechowski went on SportsCenter tonight and explained what happened with his Te'o story, which aired in October. Wojciechowski says he couldn't find an obituary for Lennay Kekua. He also couldn't find any records about a car accident. Obvious red flags. So why didn't Wojciechowski push further? Because Te'o told him to back off."

A) that to me, sounds like a liar who is completely complicit
B) wow, ESPN is garbage for actual journalism

And Rod, they have zero right to act as an independent yet get a seat at the BCS table, and a conference size share of BCS money...just because they're Notre Dame. What have they done in the past 2 decades? Why did they deserve to be counted as a conference, when a school with Bear Bryant and an equal or better tradition was a part of a conference? Because of a movie? Because NBC was dumb enough to sign them to a ludicrous TV contract?

Them being above the conferences has allowed them to play soft schedules, and still find ways to lose those games. In my lifetime they haven't been relevant at any legit level, and obviously the championship game proved it. They are not the elite class of football, they aren't royalty. They are like ancient rome and should be treated as such...history.

Fact is their schedule and BCS system robbed football fans of what would have been a great game of Chip Kelly's sugar snap offense versus that Alabama defense.

Them refusing to join a conference for football is what started this conference shake up at the football and basketball level, and is negatively affecting schools like ours...all because of the Notre Dame "brand."

I am comparing them to Penn State because there exists a culture where terrible things can happen to innocent people, and it all gets swept under the rug in the same way. Am I accusing them of raping young boys? No. But I am saying that it is a carbon copy of that type of environment.

Brian Kelly killed a kid. At a practice. That was swept under the rug quite quickly. Te'o was allowed to perpetuate a story about a fake dead girlfriend for attention and press. Who else knows what they have to hide.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Beacuse Bear Bryant could admit a Joe Namath with a 736 SAT score.
Think Ara Parsegian could do that?
Oh, and Ara beat Bryant in the NCAA championship game decider.
How about talking about Bryant's racist policies for decades? Alabama didn't have a black player until 1971!!!
Brian Kelly and the kid in the tower was an accident. Nobody ever said differently,
including the Indiana DA.
This Manti thing is so bizzare, I don't know what to think. Why should the school have looked into death certificates?
It was a story from the player, not the school. It speaks more to the player, not the school. Is he a gullible rube, or
a slick con artist?
They play Michigan,. Michigan State, Pitt, USC, Stanford, Oklahoma all traditional football powers. All went
to bowls games this season. What the hell more do you want them to do?
ND has an individual footbalk TV contract that every other school would die for.
Did ND force the networks to give them that?
Keep hating.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

also: calling notre dame the most storied school in college football, or the gold standard, or anything to that effect is exactly like saying the lions or browns are the standard bearers for the NFL.

Someone go to Paul Brown stadium, look at their product, their empty seats, and tell me that's the case.

Yes, pre-1950, television, computers, single-line home telephones, cordless phones, commercial aviation, the establishment of pro-football, the korean war, the vietnam war, the assassination of JFK, sputnik, the moon landing, when polio was still a death sentence - Notre Dame was the standard of football.

When it was basically Notre Dame, some Ivy league schools, and a loose collection of essentially club football teams with leather helmets...they were the gold standard. Just like the Browns and the Lions.

However, when modern medicine, plumbing, highways, and modern society began to take shape...they weren't even close to the "standard" that so many people think they were.

Since 1960 - ND won 4 national titles. '66, 2 in the 70s, '88.
Since 1960 - Bama won 10 titles. 7 of them before the creation of the BCS. 3 in the 60s, 3 in the 70s, and '92. 3 in the BCS era.

Unless anyone is ready to tell me why the Browns or Lions are the most storied franchise in NFL history, you should allow ND to been seen in the light called reality, and call them on their bullshit.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They also had three one loss teams that finsihed second nationally.
ND football was highly relevant until Lou Holtz left in the mid 90's.
FACT. That's 30 years beyond your artificial timeline.
So, you can worship the racist, cheating, admit anyone, Crimson Tide, with
all the other rubes drooling, "Roll Tide" in Alabama.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I refuse to believe ANY program in NCAA football that competes at the BCS level is clean.

The only reason programs like that appear clean, is because they are powerful enough and have a large enough influence over the surrounding community to keep everyone quiet about anything. (See: Paterno, Joe; Spanier, Graham; State, Penn; et al). You can't honestly say that football jesus doesn't have that kind of power.

It's northwest Indiana. They have nothing else but ND.

No program: Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Ohio State, Oregon, Notre Dame, NO ONE. Is clean. It's a multi-billion dollar industry where the employees aren't paid a dime.

I'd rather schools just be up-front about it instead of acting above it.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Hey Blue Man, I'm a little confused, do you not like Notre Dame? ;)
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

South Bend is an hour and a half from Chicago, where there's plenty to do.
What's your point?
So, Tuscaloosa, AL is a hotspot?
Duke is clean. Indiana under Bob Knight was clean. ND is clean.Stanford is clean. Vanderbilt is clean.
I could go on, but, why bother. Oh, and Paterno's football program was clean. Sandusky had nothing to do
with how the school recruited players, and the academic standards applied at PSU.
It gets very dangerous to paint everyone with one brush.
Sorry, I don't share your cynicism.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man, you are preaching to the choir as far as I'm concerned. On this point though:
Blue Man wrote:"ESPN senior columnist Gene Wojciechowski went on SportsCenter tonight and explained what happened with his Te'o story, which aired in October. Wojciechowski says he couldn't find an obituary for Lennay Kekua. He also couldn't find any records about a car accident. Obvious red flags. So why didn't Wojciechowski push further? Because Te'o told him to back off."

A) that to me, sounds like a liar who is completely complicit
B) wow, ESPN is garbage for actual journalism
ESPN is total garbage, but in this instance, I'm not sure Wojo did anything wrong. Knowing what we know now, we obviously wish he had pushed harder and I'm sure he does too. But at the time, he thought he was dealing with a grieving kid - I don't think you can blame Wojo for how he handled it. If Te'o didn't want to talk about (what we thought was) a difficult, emotional time for him, I don't think Wojo could have been expected to come at him hard; it would have been viewed as totally insensitive.

As to your first point, yes, this story sounds like Te'o was completely and 100% in on the hoax, and may have conjured it himself. Very very interested to see what comes out about this in the coming days and weeks. I don't know if ND can cover this one up like they did with Declan Sullivan - this could get really messy, and if it was indeed Te'o behind this, you have to start to wonder how far he'll slip in the draft.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What's even stranger is, a player for the Arizona Cardinals, claims he met Leanay Kekua, in Hawaai.
Says he's mantained an online relartionship with her, since.
He described her as being beautiful, looking like a model.
Wonder what we're dealing with here?
Is Teo an pathological liar/conman, or a dupe??
If he's the former, he should go to Hollywood, instead of the NFL.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

There were some strange tweets from the previously deactivated account of this "girlfriend" last night, claiming some sort of response or press conference or something today at Noon PT. Could just be the original hoaxers back at it, but who knows.
0 x
"Our goals have not changed, we want to be the best program in the Atlantic 10, and even more than that we want to get to a Final Four someday." - Thorr Bjorn - March 22, 2018
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Bottom line.....who in his or her right mind,
would call someone they have never physically met,
their "girlfriend"???
A girl who is a friend, sure, but girlfriend implies an actual
relationship, not a cyber one.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

Saying Duke basketball is clean is very debatable - There are many stories for many years about players and their families receiving "benefits"... It's almost like saying Calipari is clean because he's never "technically" been caught.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rodfromcranston wrote:Bottom line.....who in his or her right mind,
their "girlfriend"???
His teammates were certainly suspicious:

http://deadspin.com/5976762/manti-teos- ... nnay-kekua
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

rodfromcranston wrote:South Bend is an hour and a half from Chicago, where there's plenty to do.
What's your point?
So, Tuscaloosa, AL is a hotspot?
Duke is clean. Indiana under Bob Knight was clean. ND is clean.Stanford is clean. Vanderbilt is clean.
I could go on, but, why bother. Oh, and Paterno's football program was clean. Sandusky had nothing to do
with how the school recruited players, and the academic standards applied at PSU.
It gets very dangerous to paint everyone with one brush.
Sorry, I don't share your cynicism.
Duke is far from clean
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Bottom line.....who in his or her right mind,
their "girlfriend"???
While I agree with you, it happens all the time. Just crazy.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Game; blouses.

I mean without the facts to back it up, I said the culture is strikingly similar to Penn State - but this is downright scary in terms of coverups: sexual assault and rape, "suicide," and football moves right along...hmmmm

"But, again: is falling for — or even completely making up — a fake girlfriend really the worst act a football player has ever committed against a woman? No way. Just ask Notre Dame."

http://jezebel.com/5976718/notre-dame-s ... al-victims
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Again, one instance, and it's going on all the time.
It's a "history" but the write can only cite one time.
Yellow journalism anyone?
Ridiculous.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Penn State was only one time too. Funny how investigations start.

But this counts as 3 for me...her, Declan Sullivan, and Manti's story. And now that we're including rape coverups, yes I view ND EXACTLY as bad as Penn State. Apparently complete with the same blind fanbase who will stand by their school no matter what.

But I guarantee if we had a player who raped a girl playing at any sport here, we'd all be pissed as shit if they were on the team - nevermind allowed to play in THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP GAME.

ND swept this under the rug, as they apparently do quite often, AND A GIRL WAS RAPED AND DIED BECAUSE ND SWEPT IT UNDER THE RUG AND IGNORED HER.

People were about to form a mob and go find sponge holton because he videotaped consensual sex, and all parties are alive and well.

Knock, knock. Who's there? Reality. Reality who? Reality that maybe everything you thought about an institution is completely false because they have the resources and wherewithal to cover up something that would be detrimental to their brand or profitability.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Seeberg was using Effexor. Obviously she had problems mentally beyond whatever incident happened.
I had a friend who was an Assistant AG, who used to tell me the number one
weapon some women used for revenge was to cry rape. I can cite numerous incidents of false claims, right
here in RI. Its a heinous crime, when it actually happens.
If it was so egregious, the woman should have gone beyond
the campus police. If something happened to you at URI, would you just leave it to the campus police?
Please.
Your hatred of ND is ridiculous, and clouding your common sense.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Looks like the family were in on this, for sure:
"In an article published in October in the South Bend Tribune, Teo's father, Brian, said of his son's "girlfriend:" "They started out as just friends. Every once in a while, she would travel to Hawaii, and that happened to be the time Manti was home, so he would meet with her there. But within the last year, they became a couple."
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

This is all just VERY, very weird. I want some more answers.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Ditto!
What about Skype? He never Skyped this girl?
Hell, I've had Skype here with soldiers in Iraq.
This guy didn't suggest Skyping to actually have a face to face cyber conversation?
It's beginning to defy logic.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

adam914 wrote:There were some strange tweets from the previously deactivated account of this "girlfriend" last night, claiming some sort of response or press conference or something today at Noon PT. Could just be the original hoaxers back at it, but who knows.
Well, here was the "statement" I was referring to.

L K ‏@LennayKay

My statement: This is incredibly embarrassing to talk about, but I have been told by Alabama's offense that Manti Te'o is not real.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I don't get why he would go on TV and call this girl his girlfriend, when he never actually met her. Even if he was getting duped, he still never actually met her, so why would he go on TV and call someone he had never actually met his girlfriend?
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

For the record.....I actually am the Gonzo, and I do exist.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

URIGONZO wrote:I don't get why he would go on TV and call this girl his girlfriend, when he never actually met her. Even if he was getting duped, he still never actually met her, so why would he go on TV and call someone he had never actually met his girlfriend?
If you buy that he was in on the hoax, it's being theorized by some that he was using the "human interest story" to generate publicity and raise his Heisman stock.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I am 100% cybernot. This message is being generated from a satellite on Mars.
I approve of this message.
0 x
URIGONZO
ARD

I am actually Rodfromcranston, posing as the Gonzo from Warren.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'll have my cybernot army track you down.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

URIGONZO wrote:I don't get why he would go on TV and call this girl his girlfriend, when he never actually met her. Even if he was getting duped, he still never actually met her, so why would he go on TV and call someone he had never actually met his girlfriend?
Its the way things are these days. He would be far from the first person to consider someone he never met but has an online relationship with to be his girlfriend.
0 x
Essam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Essam »

John Wooden ran a "clean" program. Star players did not get NCAA scholarships . They got "jobs" and thus did not have to follow NCAA rules and regulations and JW knew nothing about the jobs. My suggestions is to wait and see how this shakes out with Notre Dame and Teo.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, Wooden went to his grave swearing he knew nothing about
sugar daddy Sam Gilbert.
Big difference paying players than some stupid internet nonsense.
I doubt Manti broke any NCAA rules with this nonsense.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Fox News is spending a lot of time on this story tonight. This kid must be a Democrat.
Add this story with the Alabama game and Manti isn't having a very good month.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

adam914 wrote:
Its the way things are these days. He would be far from the first person to consider someone he never met but has an online relationship with to be his girlfriend.
This is all too common since the dawn of the internet age and things like AOL IM, Twitter, Facebook, etc...
This is not the first person who's had this happen and he won't be the last. There are a lot of scumbags in the world who are bored, sick, sad pathetic human beings who get kicks out of doing stuff like that. I feel bad for Teo. It's bad enough to be duped, but to have it nationally televised on ESPN and on the World News Tonight with Brian WIlliams....WOW...that's horrible!
The worst thing that happened is the mainstream media got fooled about a story and are upset that they look like fools who can't fact check a story or report worth a damn....oh wait...they can't. They decided to get rid of the investigative journalists (cough, CNN, cough). Ooops! Keep feeding the hype machine boys and girls(boys and girls = national media).
"I make my living off the Evening News,
Just give me something-something I can use,
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry" -Don Henley
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey