OT: Manti T'eo

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: OT: Manti T'eo

Unread post by reef »

Here is what I think happened

I think Teo met this girl online or guy for that matter who was in on this scheme with some girl

I then think he was talking to this girl nightly but obviously it was not Linnea who obviously didnt exist

Then through the correspondenses they told him that Linnea passed away in Sept which he believed

Then in Dec he received a call from Linnea's number and then he realized he was duped

That is kind of what I think happened or something like that. That is why I think Teo is totally not in the wrong

Hey I get a couple of facebook friend requests from hot girls and we chat via yahoo im, is she really a chick I am chatting with ?? Probably not
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I do wonder if its possible that he thought she was real for a long time and then found out he was being duped and was so embarrassed he just kept going with the story.

Unfortunately we'll never get the complete truth.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

reef wrote:Here is what I think happened

I think Teo met this girl online or guy for that matter who was in on this scheme with some girl

I then think he was talking to this girl nightly but obviously it was not Linnea who obviously didnt exist

Then through the correspondenses they told him that Linnea passed away in Sept which he believed

Then in Dec he received a call from Linnea's number and then he realized he was duped

That is kind of what I think happened or something like that. That is why I think Teo is totally not in the wrong

Hey I get a couple of facebook friend requests from hot girls and we chat via yahoo im, is she really a chick I am chatting with ?? Probably not
I somewhat buy that (you have to acknowledge that he's pretty stupid to get duped for that long), but it's now out that he mentioned her as a real person at least twice after he was informed that he was scammed. So you can't say he's not in the wrong. He continued the lie, which really raises the question - did he know before that? If he was willing to stick with the narrative after he "supposedly" found out, can't you argue that he may have found out sooner and kept up the lie?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Probably didn't want to look like an idiot to the nation.
Just a mess.
Does anyone give a crap about Lance Armstrong? Enough already!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Chuckle Chuckle...

http://teoing.tumblr.com/
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Oh, good.....now Bill Simmons is wondering if Manti's hoax was just
a guy who was in the closet, covering himself. Says he could become the Jackie Robinson of gays.
Hilarious article on ESPN.com.
The last part has Bill Belichick doing the hoax to get Teo to drop to the Pats in the draft.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Oh, good.....now Bill Simmons is wondering if Manti's hoax was just
a guy who was in the closet, covering himself. Says he could become the Jackie Robinson of gays.
The last part has Bill Belichick doing the hoax to get Teo to drop to the Pats in the draft.

That thought actually did cross my mind, that maybe he didn't want to come out of the closet but wanted to stop college girls from being all over him...Not that having a gf stops college girls from trying
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's possible, for sure.
I mean, St. Mary's is right there in South Bend, as
well as the ND coeds. I would think an AA jock at ND would have to fight women off.
The real thing would sure beat an online woman for anyone normal.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Exactly...
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Oh, good.....now Bill Simmons is wondering if Manti's hoax was just
It isn't just BS. I have heard this from several sources. Regardless he's being shady.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I do agree that Teo didnt do a good job once he found out it was a hoax
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Teo to talk to Kate Couric
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

who have the same PR person
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

This has turned into a PR nightmare. The closeted gay thing has been bouncing around a lot. Who knows? From what I've read, this guy grew up in a rather sheltered Mormon culture. It sounds like this really stretches the meaning of "girlfriend." Either this guy is a big manipulator or incredibly naive.
Must be great to have a buddy who pulls this kind of practical joke on you.
If his play in the Alabama game didn't drop his stock, this might do it.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Mormon culture may cusion a person to an extent, from the negatives they face in life.
It doesn't however, produce dopes.
The Mormon successes in the real business world demonstrate that.
Teo may have his own problems having little to do with his Mormon upbringing.
The gay angle might have credibility. Not much else can explain it. Not that there's anything
wrong with that.
He stunk against Alabama, but we've seen great NFL players stink Sunday in a big game.
Doesn't mean they can't play the game. Means they played a bad game.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

I wasn't buying the naivety storyline when this whole thing first broke, but I'm more inclined to now that we know more facts. The only thing that keeps me from believing Te'o 100% is I just have a hard time believing someone can be THAT naive.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I wasn't buying the naivety storyline when this whole thing first broke, but I'm more inclined to now that we know more facts. The only thing that keeps me from believing Te'o 100% is I just have a hard time believing someone can be THAT naive.
I'm really starting to believe that he got totally duped at first and then felt so stupid and embarrassed about it that he just kept the story going.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

In his Schapp interview, he said that since "Lennay" died he has had "real" physical contact with other girls (Alex Del Pilar) on campus, but how could we believe him when he'd go on camera and talk about his dead girlfriend. So weird.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Poor guy. It's bad enough he got suckered, but to catch so much flack from people and the media on top of it is brutal.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just a crazy story and now we have the Raiders story with Tim Brown saying Callahan sabotaged the 02 Super Bowl
0 x