ESPN Article on Home Court Advantage

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ESPN Article on Home Court Advantage

Unread post by Blue Man »

Mods - feel free to include put this into the mob/student section post. I figure it deserved it's own billing.

This basically says everything the rational, actual sports fans here (and me) have been saying for years, and that our athletic department is doing it wrong.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... basketball
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Re: ESPN Article on Home Court Advantage

Unread post by twisted3829 »

my thoughts exactly when I read these earlier
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

ya know it wasnt too long ago when I was at the ryan center vs PC (we won) and our student sections were completly packed and had chants goin and everthing. A few years before that (when we were ranked), the student section had "rhody nation" shirts on and it looked awesome. WHAT HAPPENED?!
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Great article by Jason King, lots of info to chew on
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote:ya know it wasnt too long ago when I was at the ryan center vs PC (we won) and our student sections were completly packed and had chants goin and everthing. A few years before that (when we were ranked), the student section had "rhody nation" shirts on and it looked awesome. WHAT HAPPENED?!
If all that was possible under the last coaching staff, it will happen again SOON with Hurley's running the show.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

Someone should send this article to Thorr...the location of the student section needs to be fixed for next season
0 x
Clapton is God
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Where is the toughest road game in the A-10?

For my money it's Xavier followed by Dayton in a close second.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

Agreed, It was so much better in '05-'06 seasons when I attended. Student section was in the 100s and wrapped around to behind the baskets for big games. Allowed for much more involvement by students in the game. We need to get back to that.
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

I think a lot of fans misunderstand the concept of homecourt advantage. It's more about your home team getting a boost from the crowd rather than an away player being intimidated by the noise and size of the crowd. As a visiting player, as soon as the ball is thrown up, you forget about the crowd. Noise can be an issue sometimes, but rarely. That's what hand signals are for.

But as a home team, the crowd gives you a boost. You want to perform for the crowd, earn cheers, fill seats.

So as far as strategically placing student sections for noise levels and intimidation factors, that's all nonsense to me.

Toughest place to play in the A10? It's gotta be Xavier, but also Bonnies simply because Olean is a hellhole and it's a miserable trip
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Keaney.Blue wrote: So as far as strategically placing student sections for noise levels and intimidation factors, that's all nonsense to me.

You should read the article
0 x
Clapton is God
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

gorhody89 wrote:
Keaney.Blue wrote: So as far as strategically placing student sections for noise levels and intimidation factors, that's all nonsense to me.

I did, and the example they gave at the beginning didn't even occur during the game. When you're an away team, your starting lineup is announced first while the lights are on and no music is playing. Then when the home team is introduced, the lights are dimmed, music booms, and the crowd roars. Yes in big venues it's almost impossible to hear the coach, but that's not during the game. In huddles it can be loud but it's not as difficult as pregame introductions.

Cameron Indoor is a great place to play, but Duke doesn't enjoy a homecourt advantage because of the crowd noise or the Cameron Crazies. It's not even a loud arena. It's more about the tradition, reputation, and the immensity of the game that gets to the away team. That and the refs.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Putting the "hardcore" fans (which mostly is the students) in the front of the stadium creates a different atmosphere because it is strength in numbers rather than a couple of fans dotted in small groups all throughout the stadium. Unfortunately we do not have that great of an atmosphere in those higher sections and that will only return when we have a loud student run section to lead the whole Ryan Center. Unfortunately the effort is just too disjointed right now. You could make the argument that it's because the team is not playing their best ball right now but I can remember some of the best games I went to as a student were the ones where the students were all bunched together in the lower section because then you wouldn't feel as though someone was going to look at you weird because you were screaming your head off- we didn't even have to be winning. Now with that same group of friends and not being around other students we get the feeling that we cant be as loud as we want because there is only a small student section behind the endzone, which is just a weird feeling. If you look at all of the best stadiums Duke, UNC, all have the students in the lowest sections. Just my thoughts. Also I see no problem getting this trend started right now when attendence is down. We should fill the Ryan Center for every game. I think if you could get the students great seats in the Ryan Center they would show up in large numbers because they could have a great time feeling a part of the team, and you'd still have plenty of seats for the people paying.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Keaney.Blue wrote:
gorhody89 wrote:

I did, and the example they gave at the beginning didn't even occur during the game. When you're an away team, your starting lineup is announced first while the lights are on and no music is playing. Then when the home team is introduced, the lights are dimmed, music booms, and the crowd roars. Yes in big venues it's almost impossible to hear the coach, but that's not during the game. In huddles it can be loud but it's not as difficult as pregame introductions.

Cameron Indoor is a great place to play, but Duke doesn't enjoy a homecourt advantage because of the crowd noise or the Cameron Crazies. It's not even a loud arena. It's more about the tradition, reputation, and the immensity of the game that gets to the away team. That and the refs.

What about when the article quotes someone who says the floor felt like it was shaking after a dunk...You really don't think that has a negative effect on the away team?
0 x
Clapton is God
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

"Back in the day" Keaney was voted one of the top "pits" in the east (along with the Cage in Amherst and the gym in Orono). Phi Mu Delta sat right behind the visitors bench and many times the opposing coach had to bring their chairs to mid court to be heard. Obviously, they are not building smaller arenas, but the decibel level back then was off the charts. Ask the favored Washington State and DePaul teams that ventured in.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Neil,
the loudest crowd I've ever heard was the one during
the #1 Temple game in 1988.
You could not even talk to the person sitting next to you.
Penders had Section 8 sitting behind the opposent's bench.
I watch the famous venues elsewhere, and the students make them go.
We're lucky to have 500 at any given time.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

I can personally remeber two really loud moments, the PC game in 09 i beleive and the BC game in 2010. Rams won both but it was insaneeee. The students held a giant sheet reading "not in our house". I was in the mob during the BC game and we were right behind the bc bench and next to the bc fans. We were close enough for the bc players to hear our chants and taunts lol. The bc fans were angry at us during our "score board" chant. Anyways, Yes its true that we should concentrate on cheering on our team rather than taunting the visitors, BUT that is what makes home court advantage an advantage. In there face chants while also cheering for our team....in their face.
0 x
GO RAMS
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

Rod, Temple game was very loud. We complain about late arriving crowds, but I don't think I'm exaggerating to say that everyone was in their seats for that one an hour before the game. Too bad chief got some early fouls.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Could not even get a ticket for that 88 Temple game, thats how big it was
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote:Anyways, Yes its true that we should concentrate on cheering on our team rather than taunting the visitors, BUT that is what makes home court advantage an advantage.
No. Home court advantage is attacking opposing players, coaches, and teams. Making them uncomfortable. What do you think is more effective? Saying "go rhody" or knowing a player's girlfriend just left him and reminding him of that constantly?

That's why having fans on top of the visitors bench was awesome. When you're 2 rows behind the visiting bench you make them feel like they can't get comfortable. When you have organized, loud taunts at a specific player during a timeout enough to get him to turn around and acknowledge you, while not paying attention to the play...that's how you get in people's heads.

You can do it with 5 people behind the bench, but it's far more effective with a hundred.

Me and two other mob members got thrown out of a game once because we didn't stop chanting a players name for probably 2 straight minutes, apparently I pissed the cop off. We were 3 rows behind the bench, and he was turning around constantly. But that's the Ryan Center now. A f*cking church where we all need to be respectful and sit down and be quiet unless we say "rah rah team."

That's why the Mob was effective. We had a large enough group with a nucleus of loud assholes that spent too much time researching opposing players personal lives, and had inventive things to say without swearing (god forbid some adults say a mean word to other adults) Now...not so much.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Blue Man wrote:
Rhodymob05 wrote:Anyways, Yes its true that we should concentrate on cheering on our team rather than taunting the visitors, BUT that is what makes home court advantage an advantage.
No. Home court advantage is attacking opposing players, coaches, and teams. Making them uncomfortable. What do you think is more effective? Saying "go rhody" or knowing a player's girlfriend just left him and reminding him of that constantly?

That's why having fans on top of the visitors bench was awesome. When you're 2 rows behind the visiting bench you make them feel like they can't get comfortable. When you have organized, loud taunts at a specific player during a timeout enough to get him to turn around and acknowledge you, while not paying attention to the play...that's how you get in people's heads.

You can do it with 5 people behind the bench, but it's far more effective with a hundred.

Me and two other mob members got thrown out of a game once because we didn't stop chanting a players name for probably 2 straight minutes, apparently I pissed the cop off. We were 3 rows behind the bench, and he was turning around constantly. But that's the Ryan Center now. A f*cking church where we all need to be respectful and sit down and be quiet unless we say "rah rah team."

That's why the Mob was effective. We had a large enough group with a nucleus of loud assholes that spent too much time researching opposing players personal lives, and had inventive things to say without swearing (god forbid some adults say a mean word to other adults) Now...not so much.
Blue Man, I agree, I don't think it always has to be at the level of personal attacks it does help to have an involved student "mob" to get inside the other team's heads. A big group a people yelling during timeouts by the visiting team is what gives a great homecourt advantage and an exciting atmosphere. Wish we could convey this to Thorr and return the student section back to its rightful place. Of course they would lose a little in revenue by not selling these seats outright but I think having the loudest and best fans in these seats will bring more people to games overall and in the long run generate more revenue. We need to think BIG, and get ready for next year!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodeIslandBred wrote:
Blue Man wrote:

Blue Man, I agree, I don't think it always has to be at the level of personal attacks it does help to have an involved student "mob" to get inside the other team's heads. A big group a people yelling during timeouts by the visiting team is what gives a great homecourt advantage and an exciting atmosphere. Wish we could convey this to Thorr and return the student section back to its rightful place. Of course they would lose a little in revenue by not selling these seats outright but I think having the loudest and best fans in these seats will bring more people to games overall and in the long run generate more revenue. We need to think BIG, and get ready for next year!
I agree and think they're looking at it wrong. If you were able to provide an exciting atmosphere rather than the church peu-esque one we have no...you might actually fill more seats overall, instead of just the extra money from the closer to court seats...

Plus those seats suck money wise because they're hard and plastic...they were meant for the students.

On top of that...the only metal bleachers in the arena are down in the 100 level. So any additional noise that you could make, is wasted because the people who would stomp their feet are standing on concrete.

You'd be able to fill up the entire bottom section if it were all students down at floor level, no problem.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I agree 100% that the students should be on the lower level at least through the opposing bench.
You'll never fill the entire lower bowl with students. Not in RI, not in 2012 or anytime in the near future.
I watched VCU last night. Really homely women, but the crowd of students, kept jumping up and down in sync all game long!
The racket they made was incredible. Their place is smaller than Ryan, but you get the idea
of what an opposing school in our conference is bringing to the table.
Our crowd is more like the UCLA crowd. Very laid back, only with a lot less people.
0 x
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Unread post by twisted3829 »

You might be surprised how many students will show up if they are sitting/standing court side for a game, the 100 level taking away 106 (URI parents) and 114 (band) and the 50 seats required by the NCAA is 682 seats. That's not that much to be honest (about 45% of the student allotment)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
gorhody89
ARD

I would move the URI parents as well, there are plenty of good seats in the Ryan center for them, they don't need to be right behind the bench...If I was on the team I wouldnt want my parents right behind the bench anyway, just another distraction...
0 x
Clapton is God
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Along the note of homecourt advantage we have to start building up a good video intro as well (since we cant dim or shut off the lights) to get people excited at the start of the game. I believe this and fixing the student section will bring the excitement back to the Ryan Center.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Did anyone else notice how this season they edited out the shot of Jim and Jimmy Baron from the pregame hype video "100 Years of Basketball Tradition"? (it's still in this original video)

0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Rod,

Was there in 88. I believe it was Super Bowl Sunday. Steve Lane attempted a half court shot before halftime that went wide. And....Howard Evans made a huge 3 pointer in that game. Had a much bigger impact than Mark "Macon" Bacon had on the game. I will never forget the F*&% Bill Cosby chant that resonated throughout Keaney that day. Great Memories!!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

What I most remember was referee Higgins whistling Tommy for two fouls in the first minute, and we had to fight with one hand
behind our backs for the half, and never were ahead in the game.. Mark Macon had a lousy game. I always thought he was overrated.
Higgins finally retired this year.
I think that was the game everyone was chanting,"Rocco sucks!" for something Joe Rocco said about us on TV 10.

Oh, and about the pregame film, how the hell can anyone leave JIM HARRICK out of the thing??????????????
Like he had nothing to do with the Elite 8, right? Don't justify it by saying he left us or there were minor sanctions after he left.
Sly was in prison for serious crimes and they show him in the film. Ridiculous.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

was at the temple game, only game ever where i had to be separated from my dad to watch the game. sat along the horseshoe, deafening noise. section 8 was awesome during that 2 year run.

as far as the video it should be much more uptempo and uplifting, show more video footage of the plays and players from 88 - 99, too much time spent on the history which is great and all but not necessarily inspiring. how can "how do you do?" not make an appearance, probably the biggest goose bump moment in modern URI basketball history. that is the decade the young fan and old fan can all relate to. show cat, tyson, lamar, silk, tommy, harrick, penders, al more they are all well known figures.

also should be edited better, too many screens with multiple photos on them which are tough to read on a board in the corner of an arena. need full screen images, more video, maybe there is a rights issue.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

That Temple game was the loudest URI game I've ever been to. I still miss John Chaney. He was such a nice guy. He had a habit of sitting in the upper stands alone an hour before the games at Keaney. He was very approachable. A few times, we would make a point of getting there early and sit with him for a few minutes.
As this conference realignment bullshit plays out, I miss the "olden days" even more.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

rodfromcranston wrote:Neil,
the loudest crowd I've ever heard was the one during
the #1 Temple game in 1988.
You could not even talk to the person sitting next to you.
Penders had Section 8 sitting behind the opposent's bench.
I watch the famous venues elsewhere, and the students make them go.
We're lucky to have 500 at any given time.
First game that came to my mind Rod. Had to be 100 degrees in Keaney that day . I recall a sign somone had which read, "Macon is bacon and Keaney Gym is the griddle" That is when the whole lower level was general admission (or people just treated it tht way ) with no assigned seats. I got there very early and sat pretty much at mid court facing the benches. Temple was #1 at the time I believe. Temple went to the Elite 8 that year losing to Duke. Had a teriffic starting 5 with Macon, Vreeswyk, a goon underneath in Rivas, Tim Perry at PF, and Howie Evans running the show. They did not have much of a bench as I recall though. Perry had 27 points and 15 boards against Rhody as Temple prevailed 77-70.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I'm revising my timeline. I think it was 1987.
Tell you why. In 1988, was the famous brawl at Keaney,
which began after Miguel Rivas elbowed little Silk Owens and knocked his front tooth out.
(Silk played the rest of the season and the Sweet 16 with it out).
It was a wild fight, with Bonzie Colson picking up a chair, WWF style.
Of course, we lost a close one. We never had any success with Temple until Skinner's latter years.
Those Temple teams were great. Always balanced. Always had a 3 point bomber, a big guy and a nice swingman.
Chaney could coach and recruit.
0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

Rod,

I think your first thought was correct. It was Jan. of 88'. The fight you are referring to happened in my frosh year in 86'. If I recall correctly, the team made the NIT in 87 and lost to Florida. The Temple game on SuperBowl Sunday was the year we lost to Temple 3 times and Duquesne twice of our (I think) 7 losses. Good call on that Higgins foul. That had a HUGE affect on that game.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I think the big Temple game was 1988 and it occurred early on Super Bowl Sunday if I am not mistaken. URI lost three times to Temple that year. It was well worth it though as it got Rhody an NCAA at large bid and gave the Rams the experience it later needed to beat Missouri and Syracuse. That was a breakout year for the A-10 as Temple was #1 for much of the season and the league had TWO teams in the NCAA Sweet-16.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Look at the Sweet 16 films and you'll see Silk minus a front tooth.
That brawl was in 1988. Penders was coach. He wasn't in 1986.
There was no brawl in the nationally televised game vs. number one Temple
that we're all talking about.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i am 99% sure the game against Temple when they were #1 was in Penders second year, which is the same year we went to sweet 16. his first year we lost to florida state in the nit. not sure about the fight game, though i do remember it vividly. maybe it was penders first year (season of 86-87). season of 87-88 was our run to the ncaa's. and yes 5 of our 7 losses that year were to temple and duquesne, who was an average team but had our number for some reason. i remember a bunch of tall white guys that killed us.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Maybe I'm off. I do remember Silk's missing tooth in the NCAAS.
Duquesne had a bunch of big white guys, who shot the lights out,
and beat us twice that year. For some reason, they had our number.
Silk also had a bullet in his arm, from a high school shooting.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

The Dukes has some 6'8'' guy who couldn't miss against us. Took a lot of shots from around the foul line. I remember seeing him in other games and he couldn't do anything.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Ansellino? or something like that.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Another thought I had after watching the games today...specifically the Butler ending.

Say that a top 15/10 VCU comes into the Ryan Center in a few weeks. Say we (if by some miracle we won, which we won't) storm the court.

How do we do that? Do the old stiffs taking up the 100 level seats run on the court? Do we have all 75 students that sit down there?

Sounds like another glorious opportunity for URI to screw itself out of great publicity.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I believe the fight game vs Temple was at Temple not at URI ???? When Bonzie threw a chair
0 x
89er
Michael Andersen

Unread post by 89er »

The more I thought about it, I believe the fight happened in 87' not 86'. Brendan Malone was the coach in 86' and I believe the fight happened in Penders first year. It was at Keaney. Bonzie and Ramon Rivas (who spent a cup of coffeee with the Celtics) were involved in the chair incident. It was ugly.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It was definitely at Keaney, because I was sitting with the Bazars in the front row
in the balcony.
VCU is a really tough matchup. They are the most physical team we'll play all season.
They went through some sort of Navy Seal workouts in the off season, to make them even tougher.
They come at you in waves. 40 minutes of constant pressure, which Shaka Smart
labels HAVOC.
To stay with them with our shallow bench, would take a miracle.
Oh, yes, I'd rush the court if we won that one!
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

I believe 89er is correct. I was at the game when Silk got his tooth knocked out by Ramon (not Miguel) Rivas & Bonzie chased him with a chair. Wild day.

BTW - my daughter noticed the missing "Jim" Baron the 1st night they showed it. She was a big Jimmy fan. Wore his jersey to all the games.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

VCU is a fun team to watch compete, and I like the players they get now a lot. When you look at the way Smart distributes minutes, I think it's somewhat similar to what Hurley would like to do with his teams (and has in the past when he's had the chance). I think we'll still see a couple players around 30 a game next season, but it will definitely be different.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

back to the mob chants.....i wasnt encouraging personal life insults here, just anything appropriate to yell and get into the opposing teams heads....like duke, Sure the crazies have home team chants but MY GOD i would hate to be an opposing player in cameron
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

yes I think the chair incident happened in our NIT season of 86-87 Penders 1st season
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

I'm going to start rating a game by game basis of the off-court product in the Ryan Center -

Good - Announcer guy - i legit love this guy. he adds character to a building and crowd that is decidedly lacking any. his calls of some big shots down the stretch actually got the crowd pumped. I think he finally realized he has that power.
John Vanner - hilarious when Ben was bricking shots during a time out, great at involving the crowd on rhody, rhody, rhody chants, and he shouldn't have to do this - but telling everyone to get on their feet in the last minute was good.

Bad - we should have a center scoreboard that drops down like every other school does.
we should also have the blackout shades to go over lights for the opener,
the mob was pretty quiet tonight,
season ticket holders that didn't show up should be beaten with sticks and drop in priority points for not going because it was cold.
national anthem guy he's talented, but not only is this like the 4th time we've seen him, his rendition - while done very nicely, is much more suited for the opening of a nursery school rather than a division I sporting event. Can we get some pipes in here please?

Ugly -
section 209Could someone please rationally tell me why security was going gestapo and kicking people out of 209? Is it now a holy site? Are they leaving it empty to remember the 6th man who used to be at the Ryan Center? Did they just want the TV cameras to pick up how empty the Ryan Center could look?
student seating - I think twisted said that it was less than 50% of our total student alottment to fill the seats in the 100 level. then give the rest to them in one of the endzone.

As it stands right now - the only stands that make noise are the metal ones at the 100 level. The only people that make noise are students. You have the students on top of concrete and further away from the floor...and you have people in the last minute of play in a close game that need to be told they should be standing, on top of the metal. This needs to change.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

The usher lady at the top of the 205/206 aisle was kicking people out of the empty 205 even at the 10 min mark in the first half. WTF?!!

Anyone who actually showed up should have been handed a voucher for a slice of pizza or hot dog or soda or candy bar.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Blue Man wrote: As it stands right now - the only stands that make noise are the metal ones at the 100 level. The only people that make noise are students. You have the students on top of concrete and further away from the floor...and you have people in the last minute of play in a close game that need to be told they should be standing, on top of the metal. This needs to change.

I agree with most of what you said, however I don't think the students are even making any noise. I have never seen a student section with such a lack of energy, sitting down the entire time with hardly any cheering or chanting. There was actually a good amount of students at last nights game which I guess is a start but a part of me wanted to go over there and try and teach them how to be a student at a basketball game...
0 x
Clapton is God