Why Can't We do Tournaments Like This?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Why Can't We do Tournaments Like This?

Unread post by ramster »

Dayton Booster Tickets For The Maui Invitational Now On Sale

Travel packages and tickets for the 2013 EA Sports Maui Invitational are on sale now for Dayton Flyer fans
The Flyers will participate in the 2013 EA SPORTS Maui Invitational November 25-27, 2013. Booster ticket packages are on sale now through the tournament's official travel agency, Oahu Travel.

Per tournament guidelines, University of Dayton Booster tickets are only available through the purchase of the hotel and ticket package below. A booster ticket will allow admittance to the three (3) Dayton games only. Ticket-only purchases are not available through the University of Dayton.
To purchase travel packages, call Oahu Travel, the tournament's official travel agency, at 1-800-826-3822 .
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Re: Why Can't We do Tournaments Like This?

Unread post by RF1 »

Dayton gets invited to tournaments like this because it doesn't have 20 loss seasons and travels extremely well.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

We barely travel to DownCity.............let alone AC, and probably BK(when he go....)
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Asked and answered before I even opened the thread.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ATPTourFan wrote:Asked and answered before I even opened the thread.
Hah I thought the same.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I would love to see URI in the Maui classic or Great Alaskian Shootout
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

or any of those pre-season events that get some eyeballs to the TV set........
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
sf2010
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by sf2010 »

reef wrote:I would love to see URI in the Maui classic or Great Alaskian Shootout
IIRC, weren't we in the Great Alaskan Shootout a few years back? Lost to Troy, I believe.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

No, that was the Top of the World Classic in pitch-dark, freezing cold Fairbanks. NOT the same. :)

I think we played such great teams like Troy, Centenary (who since decided to give up on D1 Hoop), and host Alaska-Fairbanks (non-D1) in front of literally dozens of fans.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Are you kidding? I'm anxious to see if the bus trip
to Fordam has enough people to take place.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

There are a bunch of tourneys in Vegas each yr maybe one yr DH can enter one
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef wrote:There are a bunch of tourneys in Vegas each yr maybe one yr DH can enter one

Maybe Rhody can play in a Las Vegas high school gym again like it did a few years back in the LVIT. What a wonderful tournament that was. Didn't Lubbock Christian also take part in it?
0 x
15 Year Lurker
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by 15 Year Lurker »

URI has played in both those tournaments, in the same year even. Of course, that was 10 years ago. Plus the Maui invatational I've heard is in the worst part of Hawaii anyway. Give me Puerto Rico...
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI should look to get into the Old Spice Tourney in Orlando, the Charleston (SC) Classic, or one of the tournaments in the Bahamas or Puerto Rico. They are all in the east and have had other A-10 teams not named Temple and Xavier take part in the last few years. They usually have decent fields and are reasonable for travel (team and fans).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

15 Year Lurker wrote:URI has played in both those tournaments, in the same year even. Of course, that was 10 years ago. Plus the Maui invatational I've heard is in the worst part of Hawaii anyway. Give me Puerto Rico...
The Tournament is played at the Lahaina Civic Center on the part of the Island that has the Maui Sheraton - the big tourist area of Maui and absolutely beautiful - I was just there last year on vacation.
0 x
CT Rhody
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by CT Rhody »

I was actually on my honeymoon in Maui the same time this year's Maui invitiational was going on. We hit up three different islands and explored all over and the tournament def isn't on the worst part of Hawaii as one poster alluded too. The pro of this tournament is that you get to see the players and coaches at the same restuatuants, hotels, shops, pools, and beaches that your at which is super cool. This provides access that you normally wouldnt have. I had Hubert Davis from UNC showing his kids how to swim with what seemed to be his wife right in front of my pool chair. I met some really nice Butler fans which I wished them lucked and told them to carry the A-10 flag.

The downside of the tournament is that it's Maui winter which just simple means higher winds, some days worse then others. But tickets are 60-75 per game which is high and when you add in the flight and hotel cost which is expensive, I don't think URI has enough of a following to make it worth while for the organizers. UNC had a ton of fans at our hotel which was the Westin.

I think we have to start selling out the Ryan Center first before we think we can get invited to big time tournament like this.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Maui...the worst part of hawai'i???
Wtf are you talking about???
Btw...worst part of hawai'i???...that's an oxymoron.
What made you say that? They don't have a district 9
in paradise.
0 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

Lahaina is great. Was there in Jan 2011. Much different from Oahu, not to say anything wrong with Oahu. Just a slower pace. Both places were great.
0 x