OT: Patriots

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OT: Patriots

Unread post by section(105) »

congrats to all you Pats fans.....
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Re: Pats

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I'm guessing another SB appearance this year, and another loss....to the Niners.

Gronkowski re-broke his arm, he's done....huge loss
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Aren't they undefeated without him?
How do you know SF will get by the Falcons?
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Falcons were lucky to win that game....the Seahawks took 6 points off the scoreboard in the 1st half going for it on 4th downs....

Of course, if the Falcons somehow win next week, that will make NE a lock in the SB if they get there, imo anyway...

The Pats have had a charmed existence lately. First the Texans lose the 2 seed in the last week, so the Pats get a week off. Then the Ravens beat the Broncos, so the Pats get another home game....although Baltimore will NOT be an easy game for them at all...they know how to play the Pats.

Losing Gronk might not cost the Pats the Ravens game...but it just might in the SB to SF if they play.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Aren't they undefeated without him?
How do you know SF will get by the Falcons?
They lost to SF without him. They can win without him, but I think if he were healthy, they would be very tough to beat.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think it will be Pats and SF and that should be a heck of a game
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rambone 78 wrote:The Falcons were lucky to win that game....the Seahawks took 6 points off the scoreboard in the 1st half going for it on 4th downs....

Of course, if the Falcons somehow win next week, that will make NE a lock in the SB if they get there, imo anyway...

The Pats have had a charmed existence lately. First the Texans lose the 2 seed in the last week, so the Pats get a week off. Then the Ravens beat the Broncos, so the Pats get another home game....although Baltimore will NOT be an easy game for them at all...they know how to play the Pats.

Losing Gronk might not cost the Pats the Ravens game...but it just might in the SB to SF if they play.
As a Falcons fan, I love hearing people say we were lucky. Did we blow a big lead, yes, but this is the playoffs. Nobody is going to lay down and die no matter how much you are up. Was it luck to come back and drive down field for a game winning field goal with like 40 seconds left? I dont think so...
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Falcons weren't lucky. Ryan's final drive was great.
As for SF, remember, when the Pats came out of their comas
they scored 31 second half points on the 49ers, without Gronk.
The Pats' secondary is a lot better than when they played the Ravens
earlier in the year. The defense still gives up a lot of yardage, but they're tough in the red zone.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

That was a heck of a last second drive by Matty Ice, I think we get 2 more great games next Sunday
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

Unread post by gorhody89 »

rodfromcranston wrote:Falcons weren't lucky. Ryan's final drive was great.
As for SF, remember, when the Pats came out of their comas
they scored 31 second half points on the 49ers, without Gronk.
The Pats' secondary is a lot better than when they played the Ravens
earlier in the year. The defense still gives up a lot of yardage, but they're tough in the red zone.

The pats were not in a coma...The 49ers were bulling the Patriots in ever area of the game, then made the mistake of letting up when they had a huge lead.
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Re: OT: Patriots

31 points worth of letting up? Give me a break!
The Pats were one defensive play away from the greatest comback in NFL history.
How are the Giants and Jets doing in the playoffs?
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

I'm glad that they'll get the chance to knock out class acts like Ray Lewis and Bernard Pollard. Sending those two clowns home (one of them for good) would be quite satisfying.
0 x
RAM67
Art Stephenson

Unread post by RAM67 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:I'm glad that they'll get the chance to knock out class acts like Ray Lewis and Bernard Pollard. Sending those two clowns home (one of them for good) would be quite satisfying.
Beat me to the punch.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Um, has anyone told Ray Lewis, that his dancing is lame?
Just asking.....
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I also saw a cheap shot by Ngota on Peyton Manning.....he went right after his lower legs ala Bernard Pollard....no call no comments no nothing....

.....I don't like dancing and prancing punks....a trend in football.....even Talib for the Patriots goes too far for me....
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I/ll take the Ravens with the points................
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

So few players can just make a play they're SUPPOSED to make and walk back to the line of scrimmage for the next play without some kind of "look at me!!" bullshit.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

Unread post by ramfan85 »

Didn't Pollard also injure Welker and Gronk (in addition to Brady)? Why is he still able to walk off the field after these teams play? Times have changed.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

ramfan85 wrote:Didn't Pollard also injure Welker and Gronk (in addition to Brady)? Why is he still able to walk off the field after these teams play? Times have changed.
He did - just an all-around dirty player.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

You are kidding right?

The Brady one, debatable. He didn't come in late, was trying to make a play though to wrap the ankles. Fine he went low, but when I grew up, you play to the whistle ...

The Welker play, Pollard made the tackle, but Welker screwed up his knee non-contact. Go watch the play. Welker tries to cut to get around Pollard and his knee gives out before contact.

The Gronk one again, guy is trying to make a tackle and Gronk's feet/ankle get caught under him and Pollard, nothing dirty there.

I agree with the thought, someone should pop the guy for being part of such tough plays for the Patriots, but wouldn't call him dirty or classless because of those plays.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Pats win but dont cover
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:31 points worth of letting up? Give me a break!
The Pats were one defensive play away from the greatest comback in NFL history.
How are the Giants and Jets doing in the playoffs?

It started by letting up, its called quicksand...If you have ever competed at a high level of athletics you would know how fast things can spiral out of control after relaxing just a little bit...
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Another All American heard from.
I was thinking, Brady is in danger of becoming a .500 SB QB,
if he loses another one.
He started out 3-0 and has gone 0-2 since, and is only 10-8
including interceptions in 5 games in a row unntil Sunday, in playoff games since the Pats last SB win.
He needs to win this one for many reasons, including his legacy.
Ditto for Belichick.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:Another All American heard from.
hah are you referring to me?

I may not have been an all american, but I was a Div 1 NCAA athlete for the University of Rhode Island...Whats on your athletic resume Rod?
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Go take a hike.
I trained with Master Fumio Demura.
When you know who he is without Googling him, then we'll talk.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

Rule #1 in this forum dojo:

No one is allowed to disagree with Sensei Rod.

Once everyone falls in line, there will be peace.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Very funny.
What's your take on the playoff, GBG?
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

rodfromcranston wrote:Go take a hike.
I trained with Master Fumio Demura.
When you know who he is without Googling him, then we'll talk.

Congrats Rod your amazing...
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Never knew what he was yelling half the time.
He got killed in Rising Sun, and was in another fight scene
later in the movie. Guess the editors figured nobody would notice.
He's like 5'6", and is an amazing artist and quite a character.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I can't watch a team make a big comeback without thinking of our game, several years ago, with US International. Claude pulled the starters half way through the second half. I remember him celebrating with the starters on the bench. All of a sudden USI got hot. Even when he put the starters back in, they couldn't gear it up again. It's still the worse loss (not counting tournaments) I've seen.
I never get upset when coaches keep the pedal to the metal.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The USI coach, Freddy Goss, wore a full length coat throughout the entire game!
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

That Saturday afternoon game really ruined our weekend.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I think those Claude teams ruined more than a weekend.
He suspended Roland Houston before playing nationally
ranked BC, and we lost by 6 points.
Larger than life personality, but not a good head coach.
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

That was what I was trying to say Ramfan...Big comebacks happen all the time, it is human nature to relax just a little bit even if you are telling yourself to keep the pedal down. You can start to play conservative and not to lose while the opponent plays without any pressure becase they have nothing to lose being already down big..One thing goes wrong and another and then doubt and panic creaps in while they believe more and more and can sense your fear...

I think Patriots fans are putting too much weight into the comback against the 49ers...
0 x
Clapton is God
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

That's true. Teams start playing differently that the way they got their lead in the first place.
In basketball they start trying to milk the clock, and offense stagnates and they opponent comes back.
Prevent defense in football is a great way to let a team run down the field and put up points.
As for the Pats, 31 points in a half, under any circumstances, is hard to ignore.
The first half was as bad as I've seen any Pats team play under Belichick. A lot of it was
unforced errors, and not what the 49ers were doing.
Let's see if they get by the Falcons in the Dome first.
Kaepernick was unreal Saturday.
I remember him from playing Boise State. Boise beat Nevada three years in a row, but Kaepernick lead them to a comeback win
in his senior year, which knocked BSU out of a BCS bowl chance.
He wasn't that great of a thrower, but more of a huge running QB.
Saturday he showed he's developed to where he can put the ball exactly where he wants it.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

rjsuperfly66 wrote:You are kidding right?
He's not dirty because of those specific plays. He's dirty period. Did you see his blatant helmet-to-helmet hit in the Wild Card game versus the Colts? Or how about when he got in an Indy coach's face and taunted him? Classless.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

SmartyBarrett wrote:
rjsuperfly66 wrote:You are kidding right?
He's not dirty because of those specific plays. He's dirty period. Did you see his blatant helmet-to-helmet hit in the Wild Card game versus the Colts? Or how about when he got in an Indy coach's face and taunted him? Classless.
I don't have a problem with the hit, but obviously taunting a coach isn't a player's proudest moments. But you can look at plenty of guys on the Patriots (Brady included) who point or taunt the opponents sideline after a big play. Not as extreme, but remember 2007 San Diego? But I can agree with you calling him classless over that, thought you were referencing those Pats plays in particular. My apologies sir.

I hate the NFL because if you go for the chest, there is a chance you hit the helmet. Guy leads with his shoulder, helmets make contact, throw the flag. But if you go low, you can probably do more damage by screwing up a players knee or upending him on his back.

Maybe it's because I like players with an edge, or not afraid of the opponent. IE - J.J. Watt spits on midfield and is talking all game, wagging his fingers in people's faces, etc. I wish someone would pop that guy, win or lose. At least not be afraid to talk back within the rules of the game.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Very funny.
What's your take on the playoff, GBG?
If I had to bet a little money on this game, I would probably take the Pats but I am not touching this with a ten foot pole. The Pats covered against a team that mauled the Ravens when every single thing went against them. The shady penalty on Lloyd. The forward progress nullifying the fumble. Woodhead out. Gronk out. Special teams being awful. Still, Ravens/Pats is always a slugfest so I just don't know.
0 x
Ramblinrose
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Ramblinrose »

I don't think Pollard's plays against the Pats were dirty. Welker tore up his knee on the lousy Houston field and the Brady hit was borderline. The Gronk situation was a tangling. But Pollard is a trash talker and has been dirty against other teams.
I'll take Pats over Ravens for what should have been the second time this year. I still don't think the Ravens field goal was good.
San Francisco looks scary. Good luck to the Falcons, a good team that few seem to believe in. I'm going to say Pats over 49ers, not that I think they're clearly better, just because that's the way I hope it goes.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

The Pats comeback was due to the Niners' going to a zone in the 2nd half. The old prevent defense, as in prevent from winning.
Brady absolutely destroys zone defenses. When the 49ers went back to man to man late in the game, they stopped them.

Of course, you have to have the talent to play the Pats receivers man to man. San Fran does.

That and a good pass rush up the middle from the front 4, with little or no blitzing. That's why the Giants won both SB's against the Pats.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

As I said before, the Patriots were fortunate to get the bye, thanks to Houston losing their last game to Indy, and then playing the AFC title game at home, thanks to the Broncos gagging.

Now, if the Pats get Atlanta, they [NE] will win that game easy. Atlanta wins a lot of close games, but this SB will be over by the 3rd quarter, if not earlier.

Now, if the Pats get SF, not so easy. SF by a touchdown, unless Kaepernick turns the ball over too many times. If he doesn't, there isn't a defense alive that can stop him, with that running ability. My guess is, the Pats will try to take the running game away, and dare K. to beat them through the air. It's their best chance.

Atlanta has a chance to win against SF, only because they're at home. I'm sure the Pats will be rooting for them.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

yes I agree if the Pats get the Falcs then I think Pats will win if Pats play SF that will be a tough one

Just like when the Pats lost both SB to NYG I think they would have beaten GB in 08 and SF last yr if NYG didnt get there
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rambone 78 wrote:As I said before, the Patriots were fortunate to get the bye, thanks to Houston losing their last game to Indy, and then playing the AFC title game at home, thanks to the Broncos gagging.

Now, if the Pats get Atlanta, they [NE] will win that game easy. Atlanta wins a lot of close games, but this SB will be over by the 3rd quarter, if not earlier.

Now, if the Pats get SF, not so easy. SF by a touchdown, unless Kaepernick turns the ball over too many times. If he doesn't, there isn't a defense alive that can stop him, with that running ability. My guess is, the Pats will try to take the running game away, and dare K. to beat them through the air. It's their best chance.

Atlanta has a chance to win against SF, only because they're at home. I'm sure the Pats will be rooting for them.
I'm not so sure the Pats want the Falcons. SF is the better team but I think they are also the better matchup. The one area the Pats are suspect still is getting picked apart by a talented, accurate Qb and elite wideouts, which the Falcons have in Ryan, White, and Jones. Add in that the game would be in a dome on turf, I'm not sure the Falcons are the best matchup. The Pats have seen the 49ers once, which helps against the Kapernick express and I trust Belichick to have a good gameplan against the zone read given two weeks, especially with smart guys like Nink, Mayo, etc.
0 x
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

IMO Pats would much rather see the Falcons than the 49ers. The 49ers bring a much more balanced attack and also a very talented coach in Harbaugh. Falcons are a very unproven team in the playoffs, and rely on their receivers (mainly) to get it done for them. Patriots run defense is very good especially inside, and their cover guys have gotten much better. I think this game will be close for a while but Pats will prevail. 38-28 Pats.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'd rather have Atlanta. The Pats secondary is so much better now than it was at the beginning of the season. The addidition of Talib and the emergence of Dennard has put the DBs where they are best suited. McCourty moves to safety and Arrington moves into the slot. Both McCourty and Arrington were getting burned deep when they played outside CB and Chung was not good at giving safety help with the deep ball. Talib and Dennard have allowed them to play man and bring more pressure and McCourty gives them speed at safety that they didn't have before. Yes, Ryan is a good QB, but I actually think Kaepernick is more dangerous right now. In fact, if Kaepernick plays like he did last week, just hand over the Lombardi to the Niners....then again, let's worry about the Ravens first.
0 x
ramfan85
Carlton Owens

I'm not even thinking of the SB. I'm very worried about the Ravens. They're playing their best FB now. They also are showing their ability to throw deep. This isn't good, especially when you consider the fact that the Pats safeties (most notably Gregory) take horrible angles to the receivers and the Pats seldom get to quarterbacks.
I can't believe the point spread on this one. But,the good thing is that Vegas is usually right and I'm usually wrong. That's why I don't bet any more.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! Chip Kelly just stuck it to Oregon!
A week after he made a big to do about staying put,
he signs on to coach the Eagles. Guess they had to hire a college coach
named Kelly? ND's Kelly shot them down, so on to Chip.
Can you believe anything any of these coaches say?
"This is my dream job...blah blah blah!" and next week, gone!
0 x
gorhody89
ARD

I think Chip Kelly really wanted to stay at Oregon. But rumors are swirling that the NCAA is about to hand down some sanctions, so that might have changed his mind.
0 x
Clapton is God
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Slimy coaches. Calipari has perfected that move....
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think the Eagles made a good hire, Chip is an innovator on offense and should get that team firing on all cylindars if he gets the right QB in there to run his system

I wonder if they will go for 2 when they score their 1st td like he did at oregon all the time, lots of 8-0 leads
0 x