Game 15: URI vs. Charlotte, in-game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Game 15: URI vs. Charlotte, in-game

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

rodfromcranston wrote:Leave it to Gabrone to jump on X after a bad game.
He was widely regarded as one of the four or five best juco players in the country,
last year.
He's done damned well for us. He averages 17 plus a game. We lost by 8, he scored 9 under his average, 10 lower than his
coming into the game average.
IF HE PLAYED HIS AVERAGE GAME, URI WINS.
Got it?
I honestly don't care what the Brothers Hurley do with X this year. Have at it. Rhody is short handed. My point has always been it is hard to go from shooting 15+ shots per games and dialing it down with better talent around. He should not be the #1 option next year. I know some don't want to look down the road and that is fine but am interested in what the staff is going to do with a guy who is used to having the ball. 29% of Rhody possessions when he is on the floor end up with a X shot or TO. That is a ton. I'd like to see that # decrease as the year goes on as we look into the next few years.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Certainly X will not have the main burden to score next year. Many more options, but what we need, will be a guy or two that can consistently knock down open jump shots. That will open up the inside even more, keeping teams from sagging their defenses into the paint.

That imo is the only piece missing right now, from a potential NCAA team next year. I'm not saying they're a lock to make it, it's going to take time to get everyone on the same page, but at least the Hurleys won't mind that problem, that's for sure.

I give us a 50-50 shot to Dance next year. The year after, I will be very surprised if we don't, especially if Dan gets what he wants on the recruiting trail.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

It is a mega jump to go from where we are now to the Dance in single year turnaround.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Holy cow. I'd sign up in a second for a 50% chance at the dance. Lots of unknowns so it is almost impossible to put a number on it. Martin, O, Birutas, Reischel, etc. It's basically a new team. 50% seems a bit optimistic, though.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Huh? The only missing piece is a shooter?
Have you looked at our frontcourt lately?
We are clearly the worst rebounding team in the A-10.
Hare has regressed.
The biggest need on this team is a frontcourt to rebound, score, and
play interior defense.
None of which happens on the present team.
Also, unless Hurley brings in Severe or a similar type shooter, there are no
knockdown shooters coming up for next year.
Again, for the 1,000th time, I don't care who the player is, sitting out a year of
real competition, takes quite a while to get the rust off, let alone gelling with the existing team, to make a cohesive offensive and defensive unit.
Lamar Odom had more talent then any of these guys, and he didn't shake the rust off until February.
Anyone expecting a giant year next year, is being totally unrealistic.
Some here are like Laker fans. ooh, we got Dwight Howard and Steve Nash, to go with Kobe and Gasol. We should be instant winners.
Doesn't always work that way. The Big 3 weren't an instant success in Miami. Those are top of the line
NBA players, let alone freshmen and transfers in college.
The best chance for an NCAA will be to get their act together for a late run and win the
A-10 tournament.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Rod, I meant for next year. This year, we're missing everything.

I agree we may struggle out of the box next year, but come on strong late. What a refreshing change that would be.

I think we've forgotten the last time that happened, it's been so long!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Gonebarongone wrote:
Rhody72 wrote:Finally, made it home after the game - dinner, visiting and then a drive. Some comments about what i saw.

We lost because X shot poorly. If he had a normal game we would have won. We could have won other ways but this team needs X's offense.

Every time MikeA left the floor, Charlotte had a field day inside against Ryan and Jordan. Ryan gives more than Jordan, but I prefer seeing Jordan out there because he is a freshman.

It seems as though URI has a team of players with boys' bodies who are playing against teams of players with men's bodies. This has been the case too many times this season.

Opponents are making MikeP work very hard on both ends of the court in order to wear him out. When he tires, he is much less effective. URI has no viable substitute. 90% of what is wrong with MikeP can be attributed to playing longer than he can handle.

It was good to see old friend Des Oliver before the game.
X has shot poorly all year. He is what he is. Rhody wins when he plays above his average. He shoots 40% from the floor and under 30% from three. I'm not sure why people think otherwise. He is the best that Rhody has but his "normal game" isn't good enough to carry this Rhody team to a win.

I get that there are very few options but I really hope this doesn't bleed into next year.

I'm sure I will screamed at again but X just isn't as good as a lot think he is.
We already know how you feel about X....no need to keep repeating yourself.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

So, if everyone has praise for someone, they are allowed to just say it one time? I actually have no feelings for X. I am sure he is a good kid doing what the coaches tell them. From the beginning, I have been leery of the Hurley's usage. When 30% of a team's possessions end with one guy either shooting it or turning it over, that is not a good sign. Every possession should be treated as an opportunity for these kids to get better and instill in them the basics of a good offense. To let them learn while the bullets are firing. Has Hare gotten any better on offense? Who would know, really? Who cares if he goes 0-10 from the field. Give him chances. Smooth out the game. Troy Aikman was 1-15 his rookie year (actually, he sat of the game they won if I remember correctly). I'm sure they could have gotten a journey man Qb to go 4-12 but they didn't. I said this at the beginning of the year when X was taking 15-20 shots every game playing YMCA ball. Maybe you win 8 games instead of 6 funneling shot after shot through your putative best player. I just don't think it is the best use of possessions and minutes. I know these thoughts are against the grain of the board but I think they are valild and fair. Again, nothing against X. Decent player doing what the coaches want him to do.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Yes, let's give Hare 10-12 shots a game, so he can fumble the pass, or
fling the ball in the gereral direction of the basket.
The kid has zero shooting technique, and I'm pretty sure staff has tried to
teach him. His hands are susppect, too.
He can't get position on anyone, despite usually having a height advantage.
15 shots a game isn't saturation shooting.
Who do you want to shoot the ball? Nik Noshow? Bigby, who passes up wide open 10 footers? TJ, who shoots 10%?
WHO? Malone, who starts out strong and visibly tires during the game?
Powell gets his shots, so WHO?
I know, we play little league and make sure we're an equal opportunity offesne, despite one guy clearly being
better than anyone else on the roster at getting his shots. Right?
Glad you're not our coach.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Gonebarongone wrote:Every possession should be treated as an opportunity for these kids to get better and instill in them the basics of a good offense. To let them learn while the bullets are firing. Has Hare gotten any better on offense? Who would know, really? Who cares if he goes 0-10 from the field. Give him chances. Smooth out the game. Troy Aikman was 1-15 his rookie year (actually, he sat of the game they won if I remember correctly). I'm sure they could have gotten a journey man Qb to go 4-12 but they didn't.
Every game is being treated as an opportunity to teach them what it takes to win. Giving up on winning by making one of your least skilled offensive players the go-to man just because he's young would be the wrong lesson.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:Yes, let's give Hare 10-12 shots a game, so he can fumble the pass, or
fling the ball in the gereral direction of the basket.
The kid has zero shooting technique, and I'm pretty sure staff has tried to
teach him. His hands are susppect, too.
He can't get position on anyone, despite usually having a height advantage.
15 shots a game isn't saturation shooting.
Who do you want to shoot the ball? Nik Noshow? Bigby, who passes up wide open 10 footers? TJ, who shoots 10%?
WHO? Malone, who starts out strong and visibly tires during the game?
Powell gets his shots, so WHO?
I know, we play little league and make sure we're an equal opportunity offesne, despite one guy clearly being
better than anyone else on the roster at getting his shots. Right?
Glad you're not our coach.
He'll probably fumble some more. I'm OK with that. He is a top 100 recruit, no? Munford has as many almost as many shots as Powell, Aaman, and Hare put together. Those three guys are the only three guys on this roster that will be part of the next good Rhody team unless you want to count Buchanan. I want them to use these games as a crucible. Big guys come along slower than guards. So, Hare and Aaman might look lost but why on earth do we really give a rat's you know what about Munford firing contested shot after contested shot, especially when he shoots so poorly? The only way you get better is by doing. I don't care how many times they show Hare in practice. You learn by doing.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Hare was a top 100 recruit because of his athleticism and his potential to be a difference maker on the defensive end, not because of his offensive ability. Even in high school, almost all of his points were dunks. The kid is not a shooter, even from the 5-8 foot range. If he can't shoot, you can't teach him to shoot. His value going forward will be in blocking shots, altering shots and (hopefully) rebounding. He could still score when he gets stronger from alleyoops, tip-ins and putbacks. But if he can't shoot, he can't shoot.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If Hare is really a top 100 recruit, they should shitcan the rankings.
He's the least talented offensive player since Jon Clark.
Aaman is always in foul trouble. They do go to him when he's in the game.
Neither Hare, nor Aaman is skilled enough to get the shots Munford gets.
Hare has no technique at all and I can't believe someone can't at least show
him the proper way to shoot a ball. It's called working on your game.
Munford shoots a better percentage than all the guards and wings!
Munford-40%
Nik-37%
Bigby-33%
Powell 31%
Malone 39%
TJ 28%
So which of these guys, who aren't the target of double teams and opposing
coach's strategies to, do you want to take the shots?
So, what you're saying is, Dan Hurley, Bobby Hurley, Preston Murphy and Jim Carr are clueless
and know nothing about anything on their own team.
OK.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

GBG, your philosophy behind the countless posts that shots should be more fairly distributed would be valid if this were happening next year. If Hurley forced X to defer to others, and gave more shots to Aaman, Buchanan and Jordan we would be losing by 30, there would be 5 people at the game and the entire team would have the confidence of a red headed stepchild. I am fairly certain the Hurleys know what they are doing, and if they feel winning games now is important and not taking away from player development then I am willing to believe them and trust their judgment on how to run the offense. Again, if the makeup of the team were different I think many of us might give your POV more credence. But with what is put on the floor I think for the sake of our sanity we all agree X should shoot as much as he does. And I also think you are losing sight of how good X could be with a better supporting cast....the kid can flat out score, against anyone. He is not a pure shooter, he is a scorer. When he has others on the floor that draw the attention of the defense he will probably look more like the player he is meant to be, right now he plays 1 on 5 at times out of necessity. I think you need to cut him some slack due to that.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hare could be taught low post positioning, low post drop steps etc., receiving the ball in low post and draw fouls be taking it strong(?) to the hoop......No??.......I am confident he's being schooled in these and more......He doesn't need to shoot J/s or God forbid burp up 3/s Holton style.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Consistent hard work in practice will get you more game time, too.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

What kind of PT are the current main players going to get next season?

X: will most likely get a lot of minutes at the 2. Have to see who Dan recruits though.

Powell: will split time with EC and Biggie, will play less minutes, maybe a lot less minutes.

Aaman: will split time at the 4 with the frosh and transfers. Maybe some 5. I like his potential.

Hare: same thing. To me, he's going to be a role player, too limited offensively.

TJ: role player same as Hare.

None of these guys, with the probable exception of X, will play as many minutes next year.

Apples and oranges. Can't compare.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I've changed my view of Mike Powell.
I never cared much for him as a player, last year, or early this year.
However, he has really worked to polish his game.
Most of his bad habits have vanished. He plays hard and smart.
His shooting isn't great, but he does a nice job overall.
I think he has value.
The question is, if EC Matthews is the real deal, something has to give.
Where does Minnis fit in? I see him as a defensive stopper, and disrupter.
I suppose Hurley could go three guards in some situations.
Nice problem to have.
A lot hinges on the final recruit or recruits. Jim Carr told me they were also
looking for a bigman, in addition to a 2 guard.
Reischel looks like the swingman, if he's as advertised. 6'6" is good size for his role.
Hurley will have so many more options all over the court, than what he has now.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

i think you are seeing with kris dunn how difficult it is even for a highly heralded PG to come in and make an impact. freshman PGs come with major growing pains, adjusting to the speed of the game, getting balls picked off they never did in HS, getting their pockets picked by longer and stronger defenders, etc. i think regardless of how good EC is, mike powell will still see major minutes next year.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

All true, but our three greatest modern era PGs all
started from day one.
Jiggy, Silk and Tyson.
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

As to shot distribution......Bigby, Hare, Brooks, and Buchanan don't look to shoot much, if at all....only in the waning moments of the shot clock....so that frees up more shots for X, Powell, Nik and Andre.....they get the lion's share....

Aaman gets a few more shots with his increase in minutes...but it is still 4 guys getting 90% of the shots...roughly....so 29% is not a significant amount in that light...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Ramulous wrote:As to shot distribution......Bigby, Hare, Brooks, and Buchanan don't look to shoot much, if at all....only in the waning moments of the shot clock....so that frees up more shots for X, Powell, Nik and Andre.....they get the lion's share....

Aaman gets a few more shots with his increase in minutes...but it is still 4 guys getting 90% of the shots...roughly....so 29% is not a significant amount in that light...
It's always going to be chicken-and-egg with that though. Those four are the only guys who can consistently create their own shots, so of course they take 90 percent of them. TJ was a bit more aggressive in the Charlotte game, but Aaman and Hare lack either the height or the polish (respectively) to get more looks, and you probably wouldn't want Bigby taking more jumpers.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Actually, I believe that X is hurt as a scorer because there is so little other scoring talent on the team as well as no rebounders who provide easier open shots before the defense recovers. With additional scorers and rebounders, the team would score more points and X will get his as well as improve his shooting percentage. Guess whom our opponents defense is focused on stopping this year?

As for next year, we will be better than a .500 team. While the ineligible players will have some rust, they have been part of Hurley's system for a year and some have college experience which should accelerate team development.

Hare regressing without injury is a bad sign. Is he losing weight and strength over the season? An important role for coaches is being able to get the most out of players. I think this is happening with everyone except Jordan and Nik, who is a head case that we can dismiss. Has something gone wrong between Jordan and the coaching staff?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Good points, 72.
We never get the scramble baskets that come from rebounding and passing, while the defense isn't
set.
I just wonder about Hare. He hasn't done much since the PC game.
He just gets the yips, when he gets the ball in the post, and rushes things.
Fundamentally, he's so raw, it's scary.
With Onyekaba and Biruta, he may be a third team bench rider next year, unless
something miraculous happens over the summer.
Maybe they should invest in sending him to a bigman camp?
That's help a lot of players like Hare develop through intense re-training.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Hare has a massive ceiling, with god given size and athleticism. Clearly he is raw, but I certainly would not give up on a 6'10 kid with springy legs and long arms. The development of big guys is often a slow and painful process, we see that first hand. Remember this is the same kid that had 15 rebounds and 8 blocks against Loyola. There is talent there, it is just very very raw. We don't get guys with that size to come to Kingston very often, I find it hard to believe the staff is as down on him as some are here. On alley oops and put backs alone he could be a productive offensive player, just needs more bulk, confidence and footwork around the hoop.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

While we're at it,
HAPPY BIRTHDAY! to Dan Hurley!
0 x
Keaney.Blue
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Keaney.Blue »

bigappleram wrote:Hare has a massive ceiling, with god given size and athleticism. Clearly he is raw, but I certainly would not give up on a 6'10 kid with springy legs and long arms. The development of big guys is often a slow and painful process, we see that first hand. Remember this is the same kid that had 15 rebounds and 8 blocks against Loyola. There is talent there, it is just very very raw. We don't get guys with that size to come to Kingston very often, I find it hard to believe the staff is as down on him as some are here. On alley oops and put backs alone he could be a productive offensive player, just needs more bulk, confidence and footwork around the hoop.
I'm going to take a conservative guess and say Jordan will not develop a real post game before he graduates. He's simply too raw and lacks offensive feel. Sending him to a big man camp will help a lot though. We don't necessarily need him to be a post threat, we seem to be guard-centric anyways. As long as he rebounds, plays defense, and blocks shots I'll be happy.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I didn't say give up on him, I suggested a bigman camp to help him.
However, if Biruta for the next two years, and Oneykaba, for three or four,
are two way players, who can score, rebound and play interior defense,
plus Martin will eventually occupy the 3 spot, Hare will be limited in his playing time
unless he improves his post game.
Also, staff is still looking for another big, to bring in next year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

With Gil and Big O in the mix next yr all we need is for Hare to be a big quality reserve playing 12 mins a game
0 x