Deadspin's Top 15 Watchable Teams

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Deadspin's Top 15 Watchable Teams

Unread post by Blue Man »

Number 14 will probably interest some of us...

But temper the enthusiasm, even though this was the front page of deadspin...Hartford cracked the top 10. So who knows how legit. Still cool to see some good rhody press for once in a decade.

http://deadspin.com/5973985/the-15-or-s ... al-ranking

14. Rhode Island. Coach Danny Hurley's teams at Wagner may have been known for their frenetic pace, but that offense was built on a foundation of pesky man defense. Hurley's certainly brought the latter to Rhode Island. Discounting the loss to Saint Mary's, in which the Rams allowed SMC to score 1.22 PPP, URI has held opponents to just .91 PPP in the previous seven games (a stretch when the squad went 4-2). Brown managed only 47 points in 66 possessions, a rate of .71 PPP, and though URI lost its first A-10 game (to Richmond), Hurley's squad still held the Spiders under a point per possession. The Rams don't do any one thing particularly well; they don't force turnovers or rebound particularly well. They just keep their opponents off-balance and prevent easy shots.
Next game: Saturday vs. Charlotte
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: Deadspin's Top 15 Watchable Teams

Unread post by bigappleram »

don't tell GBG, this author seems to think that despite our rebounding issues and lack of causing TOs that we still play some stifling defense. and he even has stats to back it up.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nice. I wish you could all go back a year and watch that 11-12 Wagner season. It was just so much fun. The difference between this season and next should be equally entertaining.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I had a chance to watch Wagner once last year.
People, the stagnant half court offense you see now,
will be replaced by a free flowing, exciting high scoring one.
The Hurleys are about running. It must kill them to do what they are now doing out of need, not choice.
Ace is right on the money.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I recall when Wags beat Pitt last yr at Pitt thats when I fell in love with The Hurleys
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

The person who wrote this for deadspin clearly was not at the URI-Brown game.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote:The person who wrote this for deadspin clearly was not at the URI-Brown game.
HAHAHAHAH that made me actually lol in real life
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodeIslandBred
Jeff Kent

Unread post by RhodeIslandBred »

bigappleram wrote:don't tell GBG, this author seems to think that despite our rebounding issues and lack of causing TOs that we still play some stifling defense. And he even has stats to back it up.
Wait a minute, I don't see Billy Baron or the Canisius team on that list. Must be a misprint.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Billy scored 20 the other night at Iona, and his guy got 32.
Baron suspended last years leading scorer, for arguing with an assistant.
What a coincidence! The suspended player was a guard!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

bigappleram wrote:don't tell GBG, this author seems to think that despite our rebounding issues and lack of causing TOs that we still play some stifling defense. and he even has stats to back it up.
arbitrary endpoints does not equal statistically sound. Seven games? Discounting the SMC loss? Huh? Picking a stretch of seven games arbitrarily to fit your narrative is lazy and then compounding it by eliminating the worst game in that arbitrary seven game stretch? OK.

Furthermore, ending possessions by actually getting the rebound or turning the all over matters in college hoops.

Do yourselves a favor. Spend a few bucks, subscribe to Kenpom, and you will get tempo neutral stats that account for strength of schedule. This will tell you where Rhody stands offensively and defensively.

If you do not want to spend the money, I will give you the Cliff's notes: NOT STIFLING.
0 x