Women's Uni's

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Women's Uni's

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

I see the women unveiled their new jerseys..

While I am not crazy about "RHODY" across the front, they are pretty stylish.

I like the font on the #'s and the navy blue.

Be interesting if the men's will be similar.

Uni's are important.. You have to have a stylish product out there.. Of course it's all about the w's but I am a firm believer that it helps in the overall marketing

I was soooo tired of the prior few years cookie cutters Nike's that mirrored other schools
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Re: Women's Uni's

And where can I sign up for the kallie banker fan club ?
0 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

Sign me up for the Megan Straumann fan club!

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... megan_emd2
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

GOOD CALL !
0 x
RamInLA
Michael Andersen

Unread post by RamInLA »

Rhodyhooopz wrote:Sign me up for the Megan Straumann fan club!

http://www.gorhody.com/sports/w-baskbl/ ... megan_emd2

NOT BAD AT ALL!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I'm a little disgusted with women's athletics ar URI no matter what their UNIs look like.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Rhody72 wrote:I'm a little disgusted with women's athletics ar URI no matter what their UNIs look like.
I literally have never seen a women's athletics event at URI nor do I have any idea how good or bad any of their programs are or have ever been. I'd prefer that we waste as little resources as permitted by Title IX. Its good to have sports for girls because I definitely believe that they deserve the chance to play and I would encourage my daughters to play, but the reality is that its not never going to generate any revenue for the athletic department and it isn't fun to watch. I view it basically like T-ball; give them all a trophy or whatever and congratulate them on their effort, but don't try to convince me that its entertaining.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

The womens uni's are not very nice looking, very plain, not enough Keaney blue either, and worst off there are no player names on the back of the jersey.... looks smalltime to me, I hope the mens dont follow the same style.
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Shinze.. I agree.. How do I redact my original post ?..

Well, except for kallie.. I don't redact her..
0 x
GandysFantasy
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by GandysFantasy »

I've enjoyed plenty of female athletic events in my day.

Most recently, the Olympics......women's soccer, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, to name a few.

Maybe that puts me in the minority....but as a wise man once said, I'd rather be right than be in the majority!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

GandysFantasy wrote:I'd rather be right than be in the majority!
I've heard that before from a sage as well.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

GandysFantasy wrote:I've enjoyed plenty of female athletic events in my day.

Most recently, the Olympics......women's soccer, gymnastics, swimming, track and field, to name a few.

Maybe that puts me in the minority....but as a wise man once said, I'd rather be right than be in the majority!
I agree with you Gandy. I'm probably much too rough on women's athletics, mostly because I resent ESPN shoving women's basketball down my throat. I've thoroughly enjoyed watching women compete in tennis, soccer and many Olympic sports. I was being honest about my relationship with URI's women's athletics programs, though. They have never really crossed my mind before.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Just say no to URI womens hoop, its all about the men !!!!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

That's rough, Reef! I'm not a huge fan of watching the women's game in general (at any level), but I don't doubt the players are trying. Who knows what's wrong with the Rhody women's program??
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

That is rough Reef...not that the Rhody women have been all that fun to watch, but women's athletics in general are taking a beating in this thread and I think we are ignoring the fact that women can be extremely competitive, sure in general men's sports may be more exciting, but lets not rule out women on the highest levels of any given sport.

It reminds me of an older male caller to a sports radio station who insisted that any given year the D1 boys high school champs from RI would beat the D1 womens NCAA champs, not that anyone here has made such an outrageous claim, but lets cut women athletes some slack here. Personally I love basketball, of course Rhody men's first, but I've been known to enjoy a women's game here or there. If Rhody women bb put out a decent product I'd go see a game or two, especially if they were double headers, (women opening up for the men of course, otherwise it would be like The Who opening for The Orleans).

Also, tell me men could pull off roller derby better than women and you would be fibbing. How entertaining would roller derby be with men?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Justns11
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Justns11 »

RR that reminds me of a time when I was a freshmen in HS playing on the boys JV basketball team. We were terrible...I think we won 2 games all year.

Towards the end of the year we had a scheduling conflict, where the girls varsity and the boys JV was scheduled to practice on the same court at the same time.

At the time our girls varsity team was 18-0.

We ended up scrimmaging and my team (JV boys) beat the girls really bad. I think we stopped at 40-6 or something like that.

It's just a completely different game..but I do still enjoy watching it occasionally.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

It's a 100% different game. And by different, I mean boring. They say it's about "skill" instead of speed.

Sorry, maybe I'm not PC enough for it, but women's basketball at any level is dreadful. Women's soccer at a higher level is more tolerable, as is tennis, but I'm sorry it's just not entertaining.

Title IX is a great idea, but it cripples some athletic programs when you have to sacrifice what could go to teams that keep the lights on, for teams that are just there so people don't feel left out.

Title IX should be scaled back so that maybe schools are required to give 3/4 or less scholarships to women than men, simply because the sports are not equal. Allow athletic departments to do what is best for them. You can't cry foul or scream equal treatment, when the result of such treatment doesn't yield equal results.

For instance; a few schools probably make money right now with women's hoops: UCONN, Tennessee, Stanford, Baylor. Maybe. But for the rest of the schools, those programs cost massive amounts of money and scholarships, with very little upside. Women's sports are not profitable. You can't force people to watch something they don't want to watch.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

If profitability was the deciding factor for every program, URI wouldn't have an athletic department. Yes, men's basketball has the potential to be profitable but it hasn't been. Private schools whose athletic programs are not subsidized with public funds have a valid complaint against Title 9. But even if Title 9 was eliminated, public colleges would most likely lose in court if they cut women's sports.

(I have a one man boycott against roman numerals.)
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

You are right, and I probably should have used "potential for profit" instead. Profitability is really more of a misnomer anyways, seeing as how only a very small handful of college ADs are profitable. Men's basketball keeps the lights on at URI, and certainly is the only program here that has the potential to bring in big money and sponsorships.

Profitability would also impact our "football" program, or whatever is thrown out there on Saturdays. Football though, is the pre-eminent big money ticket in the NCAA, so the hope of reviving the program is worth it, as long as we can keep the lights on otherwise. Women's basketball, and women's sports in general just do not have the marketability and profitability to sustain an athletic department, period. Even the best programs don't exactly go after big money, it just isn't there.

But more importantly BFC, what terrible things did roman numerals do to you to earn such a fate??
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Blue Man wrote:But more importantly BFC, what terrible things did roman numerals do to you to earn such a fate??
They made it completely impossible to know what number Super Bowl it is, why are we all supposed to be so impressed by capital v's and i's?
0 x
Running Ram
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Running Ram »

don't forget your m's, x's and c's, how would we know what year it was without c's and m's?
0 x
Go Rhody!!!
Birthplace of 'Fastbreak Basketball'
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

BFC wrote:
Blue Man wrote:But more importantly BFC, what terrible things did roman numerals do to you to earn such a fate??
They made it completely impossible to know what number Super Bowl it is, why are we all supposed to be so impressed by capital v's and i's?
Very true. Those bastards.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Sorry guys I actually enjoy watching the womens final 4 but when it comes to URI womens I could really care less
0 x