Game 15: URI vs Charlotte - Pre game

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
twisted3829
Carlton Owens

Game 15: URI vs Charlotte - Pre game

Unread post by twisted3829 »

I figured I'd start the discussion for tomorrow's game

URI host Charlotte (13-2, 1-0) Saturday afternoon at 2pm at the Ryan Center
TV: Ocean State Network
Radio: WHJJ 920 AM, 102.3 FM the Wolf in S County and CT
Gamenotes: http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... rlotte.pdf
Line: URI (+3)
0 x
NOT IN OUR HOUSE
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Game 15: URI vs Charlotte - Pre game

Unread post by section(105) »

Thank God.........eventhough the Charlotte out of conference sked is viewed as light, I think we/ll still be in need of all these for a win; for X and two others to get into double figures, noone in foul trouble, out rebound them, get to the foul line, and some points in the paint. Mike Aaman to start?? We gotta find a way to get X off early and often.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

twisted3829 wrote:Line: URI (+3)
You get 4 for being at home...so its basically an even matchup (Charlotte would be favored by 1 on a nuetral court).
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
URIGONZO
ARD

Unread post by URIGONZO »

Spooky if it were a neutral court URI would be getting 7. They're only getting 3 because they're at home.
0 x
From the Standpoint of Sitting Down.
lasumesa
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by lasumesa »

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to listen to the Post Game show on the radio on the way home from the game? Can WHJJ buy a power booster or something? It's pathetic. There must be a better way. B101 is fine when they have the games.
0 x
BarlowHall05
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by BarlowHall05 »

I'm really looking forward to the conference home opener. I know Charlotte has a cupcake padded ooc schedule, but it's still 13-2, and would be a nice confidence boost before headed out to Snooze, I mean SLU.

Here's hoping that this is the first step towards Brooklyn!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

after watching SLU against UMASS I have no doubt we will take a beating in that game. they are experienced, play tough D and are big inside, not a good matchup for us.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Braswell is a tough match-up.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

lasumesa wrote:Wouldn't it be nice to be able to listen to the Post Game show on the radio on the way home from the game? Can WHJJ buy a power booster or something? It's pathetic. There must be a better way. B101 is fine when they have the games.
You can hear the games in Southern RI and SE Connecticut on The Wolf 102.3 FM. They were added to the Rams Radio Network due to WHJJ's spotty coverage in Washington County.

If you have any kind of smartphone, the iHeart app is free and let's you listen live from anywhere. I like to listen to pre and post games on my phone as I walk between my car and th Ryan Center.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on URI lets get our 1st conf win !!!
0 x
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Hey everyone, I took a look at both teams' information and here is what I think a few keys to the game are for URI (I am sorry about the length-tried to be thorough, haha):

Charlotte is a team like URI who like to control the pace of the game and slow the game down. Both schools take approximately 53-55 shots per game. The key difference here is the efficiency. Charlotte is shooting 46% from the field compared to URI’s 39%. This explains how both teams have the same number of shots but Charlotte scores 70 points per game and URI scores 61. The efficiency advantage of Charlotte is because they don’t take nearly as many 3′s as URI does. Charlotte take about 12/13 3′s per game whereas URI takes about 20.

Thank God URI has Aaman back as they’re going to need all the size they can get down low for this game. If Charlotte takes about 42 shots from inside the arc (assuming most will be down low), rebounding will be a big key for URI to pull off the “W.” Charlotte does have some guys with some size. Their top scorer, Chris Braswell (#35), is a 6’9″ F at 12 points per game. Their next top scorer is DeMario Mayfield (#11), a 6’6″ G at 10 points per game. It will most likely be Munford on Mayfield (if URI plays man-to-man) which is a match-up nightmare on defense as Mayfield has 2 inches and 22 pounds on Munford. The key to stopping Mayfield will be to keep him on the perimeter. He’s a slasher who loves to drive it (of course he does, given his size) so he has a 51% FG% on the season but only 25% from 3. They don’t need to hold him to only shooting 3′s but if they can play aggressive enough defense and get in the driving lanes, they can hold him to mid-to-long range jumpers (17ft. or so) which would be huge. There is a big drop off in shooting percentage with this guy outside of the paint.

The only issue with getting into the lanes against Mayfield will be that Aaman, Hare, or Brooks will need to rotate over to help which could leave their top scorer, Braswell, open down low for Mayfield to dish it off to him.
The only way I can see URI attacking Braswell is just to try and have Hare and Aaman play right up against him and make absolute sure that neither one commits any silly fouls putting them into foul trouble. Braswell is a good shooter from the floor and from the free throw line. It won’t be like Maia (on Brown) where they can play the old “hack-a-Shaq” knowing he’s terrible at the line.

Since Charlotte’s big advantage is size, on offense, URI will need to exploit their biggest advantage – quickness. Even Charlotte’s PG is 6’4″- 200 (Powell is 5’11″-175). If URI can execute a lot of good high screens, Powell, Malone, Malesevic, and especially Munford should be able to shake free from the defense for open shots. Look for Munford to continue his hot streak from 3 from the Richmond game.
I know it is only a small sample, but Charlotte is avergaing 70 points per game on the year but only 62 points per game on the road. Coupled with the fact that, at home, URI only gives up 50 points per game.

I think URI grinds this one out and wins 60-55.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

thx kyle. with that analysis, we/ll need to avoid foul trouble to have a shot at this..................
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

No way is Mike Powell 5'11"--probably 5'9".
0 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

To me, Charlotte is the biggest unknown of the conference upper tier. They have been able to finish games and as a result 13-2. Are they a "paper tiger" like SMU was?
.....I am hoping they are legit, and that our defense can get the job done.
.....We will get our 60, but can we hold them to 55?
.....Let's hope the coaches come up with a great plan.

In spite of the 5-9 record, I am enjoying the games a whole lot more this year. The team is putting forth a good effort.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

Saw then against a pretty good Miami team.
They got killed in that one, and were never in the game.
Nice analysis, Kyle. Sounds like Braswell will provide the toughest matchup.
Should be interesting.Nik and Malone need to produce.
I hope people actually show up for a change.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I like to see the game plan to have targeted plays to get-the-ball into X/s hands early and often to get him off early and maybe open up some middle/inside action for Mike, Jordan.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhodyKyle
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Charlotte does have a good offense, very efficient but (and I know it's a very limited sample - only 3 games) they seem to be a different team on the road. I thought 55 because URI holds teams to 49ppg at home and Charlotte scores 61ppg on the road so I met those scores in the middle.

Thanks, Rod. Yeah, Braswell has a complete set of skills for a big man: high FG%, and a high FT%. Should be interesting to see how URI handles him and Mayfield. I think if Coach Hurley can come up with a creative way to take those two out of the game (to an extent - at least limit them), URI can win.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I can't wait for this game to start, should be a good one
0 x
GO RAMS
ChiPhiRhody03
Michael Andersen

Unread post by ChiPhiRhody03 »

this game being streamed?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Different starting lineup, according to Smarty...

Dave Ascoli‏@smartybarrett

Mike Aaman and Ryan Brooks will start for URI, with Malesevic and Hare coming off the bench. #GoRhody
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Locking this one up, since the game is upon us.
0 x