Hurley article in Winter 2013 Quadrangles

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Hurley article in Winter 2013 Quadrangles

Unread post by ace »

I hadn't seen this one posted before...

http://www.uri.edu/quadangles/features/relentless/

Written by Mike Laprey, URI Associate AD for Communications & New Media
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Re: Hurley article

Unread post by TruePoint »

Great read. Thanks for posting, Ace.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
bpaz11
Steve Chubin

Unread post by bpaz11 »

Great article. Good find and good post Ace.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Got to the end of the piece and was pleasantly surprised to read the author's name - Mike Laprey. I don't think I've seen any longer format writing from him previously.

Very much enjoyed this! Thanks for posting it!
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by GansettRam74 »

Good article but the last paragraph "That’s what we came here to do. That’s what we came here to accomplish. With a total commitment by everyone involved, we believe it can be done.”.... has
me thinking more about a rumor I heard today from two separate URI alumns. Both said today that they've heard the Hurley's aren't too happy here especially Bobby. The reasons were that they were promised things from the School and the school is now reneging/going back on things promised. No specifics were given but wondering if others out there have heard anything to this effect???
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Oh what the hell.... could things get any worse??
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This is becoming a form of torture...a nightmare - please wake me when it's over. For my mental health, I need a break from this.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I will say that, while there are a lot of decision makers, they have complete support from Bjorn.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be nice if some details emerge from this. The Hurleys have been very upfront about things, maybe they need to speak openly. I imagine they have talked to Thorr if there are any issues.

That's the one thing that has worried me since they were hired. Would URI follow thru on their committment to improve the program? The Hurleys know what needs to be done by now.

If not, they won't be here very long. One Dance invite, and they could jump at any offer, especially from the new BE. Then, with the future state of the A10, good luck finding another coaching staff this good. Just great.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

I like you, Rambone, but Jesus, put your thoughts together. FIVE posts? Calm down.
I don't care about rumors from unknown sources.
I'm sure not going to lose sleep and post every thought on if it is or isn't
true, and what the reasons are and balh blah blah ad infinitum.
That article seems pretty dated, going back to November or even October.
Where in the article is it even remotely hinted at that there's unhappiness?
Dan keeps saying how much he and his family love it here.
Let's stop the nonsense!
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Jesus Rambone. Take a valium and try to get some sleep.

Some guy says he heard a rumor and you post five consecutive posts, then go start another thread (which is about to be gone). If someone has something concrete, they're welcome to share. But between the conference realignment thread and this garbage in this thread, I'm getting annoyed by the neuroses on this board. Lots of people here scared of their own shadows. Being a fan and following a team is supposed to be fun. If it is stressing you out this much you might reevaluate some things.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, I'm just reacting to the post which said that this rumor was from today, not the article. This is something that might be going on now, who knows? Maybe I am overreacting, but if this is true, it's VERY disturbing news that could impact the Hurleys' future here. Let's hope not.

Until or unless we hear something that proves there is an issue, then I'll cool it. And sorry about my diarrea of posts!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Thank you TP.
Rambone's hysterical reaction is way over the top.
"MAYBE" you're overreacting? YA THINK???
It's totally baseless and the ultimate shit stirring.
My God! Everything is the end of the world.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Rambone, you're a good dude and a good fan, but these are public forums so pumping rumors that are unsubstantiated isn't always a good idea, especially when doing so probably isn't in the best interest of the program that everyone here supports.

If people bring info to the board, that is cool and welcomed. But melting down about a rumor isn't really helpful.

Keep posting as much as you want (the more the better, actually), but just try to keep things in perspective.
0 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

TruePoint wrote:Take a valium and try to get some sleep.
That's just solid advice for a variety of circumstances.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I got my quadangles in the mail the other day, cant wait to read that article
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Are the hurley's having trouble getting players admitted?

Are the off-the-record perks materializing for them? (Do restaurants expect them to pay?)

Are there an inadequate number of essay writing assistants to give their players more time to practice foul shots.

Is the private plane for away games a prop rather than s jet?

Every coach wishes for more. This isn't Duke but it isn't Wagner either!.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Just for the record I wasn't shit stirring. Some of you are more in the know about URI basketball than I which is the reason I brought the rumor to the board and why I asked if anyone else has heard similar rumblings. No need to jump off cliffs or let the sky fall, was just sharing what I heard, to the discussion board.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

If someone with deep pockets asks you how you are doing you always say you could be doing better. Not too worried about this we have the Hurleys at least until they get a good run in the tourney.
0 x
seanmc94
Tom Garrick

Unread post by seanmc94 »

FYI,

I always ask the mods in a PM if i hear something that i know will stir it up first. I'd rather be right than first.
0 x
Warning: area protected by guard donkey
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

GansettRam74 wrote:Good article but the last paragraph "That’s what we came here to do. That’s what we came here to accomplish. With a total commitment by everyone involved, we believe it can be done.”.... has
me thinking more about a rumor I heard today from two separate URI alumns. Both said today that they've heard the Hurley's aren't too happy here especially Bobby. The reasons were that they were promised things from the School and the school is now reneging/going back on things promised. No specifics were given but wondering if others out there have heard anything to this effect???

Sounds like typical URI stuff going way back to Penders days. School never makes good on what they promise. Hope this isnt true now.
0 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

It's from the alumni magazine- they always get asked for money. One of the worse jobs I had in undergrad was making those alumni fundraising phone calls. People do NOT like getting those calls, but they did make for some interesting stories.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

GansettRam74 wrote:Just for the record I wasn't shit stirring. Some of you are more in the know about URI basketball than I which is the reason I brought the rumor to the board and why I asked if anyone else has heard similar rumblings. No need to jump off cliffs or let the sky fall, was just sharing what I heard, to the discussion board.
I think it is fair to bring that to the table Gansett if you heard that from two folks. Most of us are adults here and can adequately sift through information while making an ongoing judgement about the state of the program. I'm not going to worry about it but if another poster says the same in a month, well, there might be smoke and fire. That's why I value posts like yours.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Well, let's just hope that these "promises" weren't made to the Hurleys to get them to sign on the dotted line, knowing full well that they [URI] couldn't follow thru on them when the time came.

That's dirty, low down, and cheap. Again, if any of it is true, then Thorr needs to put his expertise in damage control abilities to the test!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

If I heard this from Terino, Milan, BAR or Iggy, I might be worried.
Third hand rumors from a seldom poster, is just stirring the pot, needlessly.
If anyone bothered to watch the Hurley show, he closed with going on at length about
how and why he loves it here in Rhode Island.
I'll take him at face value over some vague hearsay.
Anyone who goes off half cocked, assuming this crap is true, is an idiot!
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

rodfromcranston wrote:If I heard this from Terino, Milan, BAR or Iggy, I might be worried.
Third hand rumors from a seldom poster, is just stirring the pot, needlessly.
If anyone bothered to watch the Hurley show, he closed with going on at length about
how and why he loves it here in Rhode Island.
I'll take him at face value over some vague hearsay.
Anyone who goes off half cocked, assuming this crap is true, is an idiot!
Rod-we agree! Can't assume anything is true these days. I will add that taking what a coach says during a coaches show, which is essentially a program informerical, is just as dicey a proposition. You think he is going to stare into a camera and say he is p*ssed that there were broken promises?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

No, you're right, Rod. It's just that RF1 brought up a good point, URI has done this kind of thing before, albeit a past administration.

Until we get some concrete info, it's just a rumor I know. It's just very disturbing, coming on the heels of the conference mess.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Baron always bitched about not having "infrastructya" and the tools he needed to compete.
I think Hurley is a pretty blunt and not politically correct guy.
If he has something to say, he'll say it, and to the right people.
As my old Chief used to say to us, "Boys. we're molehill mouintain climbing on this one!"
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Again this is why I brought it here to an OPEN forum board. To spell or dispell the rumor. Just so you know, Rod, it came from a friend's son who goes to LaSalle with Bobby's daughter so I felt there might be some credibility since it "supposedly" came from her. I'll just go back to reading the Board daily and refrain from posting anythinhg about the program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Wow! That's hearsay plus one.
So, now we're giving credence to high schooler's rumors?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm betting GansettRam74's friend(and his son) is a PC fan.
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

GansettRam74 wrote:Again this is why I brought it here to an OPEN forum board. To spell or dispell the rumor. Just so you know, Rod, it came from a friend's son who goes to LaSalle with Bobby's daughter so I felt there might be some credibility since it "supposedly" came from her. I'll just go back to reading the Board daily and refrain from posting anythinhg about the program.
Please don't stop posting. Someone who is reasonably intelligent can decide for themselves the level of credibility. I think most prefer the discourse. I mean, it's a freaking message board after all. Some people think they are Ben Bradlee.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hmm, Catholic high school, right around the corner from PC?
Good guess, Billyboy.
High school girls love to gossip. So, it makes it on here, like it has
credibility. Then you call out the person who put it out there, and he's indignant
about being called out on it. Huh?
0 x
Rhody Guy
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhody Guy »

I dont see the harm in saying that. Gansett. No need to get up in arms Rod.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

"An infamous Scarlet Knights’ practice left Hurley red-faced and ultimately jaded about the college game. "

Does anyone know what this is referring to?
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Was that the one where players were forced to take free thorws in the nude?
I don't recall the coach, but he was fired at the end of the year.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Yup, I just looked it up, Kevin Bannon in 1998. Thanks.
0 x
GansettRam74
Marc Upshaw

Billyboy78 wrote:I'm betting GansettRam74's friend(and his son) is a PC fan.

No, we are all graduates of URI...my buddy in '95 and myself in '96 & '02. We couldnt hate PC more. My old man went to PC and oh the wars we used to have at the dinner table! When he passed away lasyt year, my mother tried to make me take his PC jacket! She didnt win that war!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Of course Hurley's not happy right now. We're losing. He hates losing. Doesn't mean anything other than that.

As for "infrastructya" i know the training room is getting brand new equipment, and that brand new locker room probably didn't hurt.

I agree, that if Hurley wasn't happy with the situation, he'd come right out and say it. Plus I don't think anyone that spends almost a million to bring a guy in and rest the hopes and dreams of their program on those shoulders would do anything other than what was agreed to.

Certainly seems like much ado about one rumor about nothing. And if I know anything about URI, and this state in general - no one knows anything, but will gladly tell you the opposite just to get some attention.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The only thing I have noticed, is except for Bobby wishing his daughter
happy birthday,today, there have been no Tweets since January 7th, by
either of the Hurley's.
Bobby's always on about football and other things.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I could see the Hurley's being disappointed in the fanbase to this point.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Boy did Baron do a number on the fan base... We hit Conf play soon so that should help. They need to beat Charlotte!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

GansettRam74 wrote:Again this is why I brought it here to an OPEN forum board. To spell or dispell the rumor. Just so you know, Rod, it came from a friend's son who goes to LaSalle with Bobby's daughter so I felt there might be some credibility since it "supposedly" came from her. I'll just go back to reading the Board daily and refrain from posting anythinhg about the program.
Gansett, there wasn't anything wrong with your post. If there was, I would have deleted it along with the others. Rumors are fine - they're part of the lifeblood of a forum like this. People can evaluate it based on the source and in the context of everything else they know and decide what to do with it for themselves.

The problem I had last night was the over-the-top reaction to your post and the chicken little-ness of it was way overdone. We can't have a meltdown-induced-spamming of the board proclaiming the end of the world every time some small piece of bad news trickles out.

I think its also important to remember that rumors are unreliable, no matter where or who they come from. Your credibility could be unimpeachable, and it wouldn't matter. Like in this instance, you could be saying exactly what you were told by your friend, who is repeating exactly what he was told by his kid, who repeated verbatim what Bobby's daughter said to him. But what if her statement was based in something that was said off hand or she took it out of context? What if he got a speeding ticket on 95 on the way home from work and walked in the door and said "goddamn this stupid state" - does that mean he hates being at URI and is trying to leave, or that URI is not living up to its end of the bargain? I think, even taking for granted that everything about this "rumor" is credible, that its just as likely that the daughter is upset about moving to RI (which is hard in high school kids) and her comment (whatever it was) is more of a reflection of that.

Anyways, sharing things you hear is welcomed and encouraged, its up to the other posters to react reasonably and appropriately.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Hoping we get some good crowds for the conference games - VCU and a couple others in particular
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ATPTourFan wrote:Boy did Baron do a number on the fan base... We hit Conf play soon so that should help. They need to beat Charlotte!
When do the students get back? I know they won't be back for Charlotte, but hopefully by the GW game on the 23rd, they will.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

The crowds suck, so far.
Lots of season ticket holders disguised as seats.
Can we talk about basketball?
There's a game tomorrow, and it's gone unnoticed here.
No previews, no anything.
Are we going to have another 3,810 crowd, as usual?
I could see the staff getting down on attendence. Especiallty if
part of the contract is tied to that.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

The coaches shouldn't be worried about the fans. They should be worried about winning. Do that, and they'll find more fans than they know what to do with.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

Yes fans will come when the team is winning here just like they would anywhere but is just being like everywhere else enough? Coaches look at the fanbase as part of the equation to build a program, not just the people who show up when the work is done. Hurley wants an energy around the university about basketball that recruits can feel when they visit. Hurley can sell himself, but he can't sell the conference, he can't sell TV exposure, he can't sell the facilities, and right now he has to be wondering if he'll ever be able to sell the atmosphere based on what he's seen.
I'm not saying the lack of excitement isn't justified given recent history, I'm just saying if I'm in their shoes I certainly wouldn't be impressed with the fanbase. Hopefully they're seeing other positive things behind the scenes to keep them believing this is the place to build a top program and hopefully we can give him the energetic fanbase he's looking for sooner rather than later.

Dan Hurley ‏@dhurley15
Fan base plays a huge role in creating a big time program. Impacts so many areas of the program. Continuing 2 create that culture is a must!
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Why can't he sell the facilities?
Nice arena, new lockers, new amenities.
Winning will help.
I wonder, in retrospect, if we ever had a fanbase to support some of
our ambitions.
Even when Harrick came here, the games weren't sellouts until later in the season.
It's been a long time since 1999.
This is more of a ground-up project, than a quick fix.
It's going to take an NCAA run to really turn things around.
Hurley talks about building a lasting program. He should realize, that includes building the fanbase.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

i will be commuting up from NYC for the game tomorrow and back to NY after it, so I expect as many people in RI to make it because dam 6 hours in the car for a 2 hour game is grueling, but well worth it IMO
0 x