Hurley article in Winter 2013 Quadrangles

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Re: Hurley article

Unread post by BFC »

He's talked about how the facilities aren't on par, I assume he meant the practice and training facilities. I know he was unhappy with the coaches' offices and that was supposed to be next to be addressed after the locker room.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Gansett has had some posts in the past that turned out to be true.
I wouldn't dismiss the Hurleys being pissed about something, but I would attribute it to how determined they are to do it the right way and to do it quickly. Successful coaches are never happy.
If it's true, and I haven't heard either way, I would say it's tied to promises about the program and not their compensation. It's possible that something Thorr told them he would do has been delayed because after going back to the CAA he needs to find money for football.
The Hurleys are not upset about attendance. While they would love to have more fans in the seats they realize they're building something and that it will take some time. Overall, they've been impressed with the passion for the program.
I think Rod has asked a great question, however: has the fan base even been there? What will it take to build one?
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Iggy1979 wrote: I think Rod has asked a great question, however: has the fan base even been there? What will it take to build one?
Winning. If we can win 3 of the next 4 games (Charlotte, GW and Fordham ... SLU away is going to be a tough game), kids will start attending and alums will start to notice.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Hurley will only be upset about attendance if the team is winning and the players are busting their asses, and no one is paying attention. I think everyone involved is well aware of what this season is about.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rodfromcranston »

No. Winning a few games this season, will wake up a few people.
I mean WINNING. Big winning.
NCAA caliber run winning.
Multiple years of NCAAs winning.
Building a fanbase, not just fairweather fans, but loyal ones.
We were on the verge of this three times in my life.
First was 1978, with Kraft and Sly and a John Nelson layup away from the Final Four.
(next two games were in Providence) Peak attendence was during the late 70's.
We never came close to the numbers at the PCC that were in a couple of those years.
Kraft's heart attack and retirement, ended that segment.
Second was the Sweet 16 under Tom Penders. The public's imagination was excited by the
team and Tommy Garrick's story. Penders' leaving for Texas ended that part of the story.
Third was the Harrick-Lamar era. It got the Ryan Center built, but
neither hung around long enough to fill it.
So, we have the Ryan Center and only once, I think, against Pitt, came close to capacity.
Maybe couple of the PC games, and playing number one St. Joe's on ESPN.
Nothing sustained over the years. just bursts and fades, for whatever reason.
Maybe, just maybe, the Hurleys can do what nobody else has been able to do.
Build a loyal fanbase that lasts more than a couple of years.
0 x
< Arthur is my spirit animal.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

For the record, rod, URI has had almost a dozen sellouts of the Ryan. Besides several PC games, there was Pitt and UMass in the first season and St. Joseph's in 2004. The high-water mark was the 07-08 season when there were four - PC, Dayton, Xavier, UMass. But sellouts have been sparse in the last four seasons with only the PC game selling out. It's the Baron effect.
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

BFC wrote:He's talked about how the facilities aren't on par, I assume he meant the practice and training facilities. I know he was unhappy with the coaches' offices and that was supposed to be next to be addressed after the locker room.
I think the coaches offices are pretty nice...they are right next to the alumni room in the Ryan Center.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I would think the people closest to the program, would know if there's any issues with the Hurleys' being unhappy about anything.

Again, if there's any truth to the rumors, it will come out sooner or later.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

EasyEdBrown wrote:
BFC wrote:I think the coaches offices are pretty nice...they are right next to the alumni room in the Ryan Center.

At 1:55 of the video, Bjorn says basketball office renovations are next. I don't think it's because the women's coaches complained.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

If I was a highly sought after NCAA coach and I was at a school that needed "multiple years of NCAAs winning" in order to develop a fanbase, I'd be gone. Let's face it, one NCAA tournament here will lead to offers. Unless you're addicted to Del's Lemonade and clamcakes, why make less money to try and convince your target audience to notice to you. I don't say this as a prediction in any way, we're still in the early stages here but it's on us to give these coaches more to work with. (I'm saying us, but I know the posters on this board, for the most part, are not the problem.) If Hurley is everything we think he is, I just hope we (URI Alumni/Students, RI Citizens) don't blow this opportunity.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

True, when Dan says that EVERYBODY must raise their committment to the program, that includes us as fans. Not just the school, the coaches, the players, the boosters, etc.

The average fan, including the students and alumni, probably remains skeptical. They have to see results first, then they will come.

I think the attendance at the Ryan will reflect that starting next season. I don't see any big increases this season. Winning is still the bottom line, although the basketball being played right now is much more solid than what we saw last year. Last year's team was unwatchable. Not this years's.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

Hey, I'm being realistic. We've had Sweet 16 and Elite 8 runs and no real fanbase was developed. FACT.
To have the kind of loyal fanbase that PC used to have, you need multiple NCAA runs.
We have apathetic alums, students and general public to gain interest.
Anyone thinking it happens overnight hasn't seen URI basketball over the years.
If someone leaves in a huff over failing to excite fans with results, so be it.
As for coaches offices....when Harrick came here, he gave me a tour of the pathetic offices located in the second level of
Mackel.
Ripped couch in the HC office. Junk furniture everywhere. As shabby as you could imagine.
Walter Boyle's ticket office had a plywood floor in Keaney.
I wonder how wonderful Wagner's coaches digs were? I doubt they were palatial.
How do you think a UCLA NCAA championship coach felt coming to the dump he found?
I'm sure Baron's office in the Ryan Center, was the Taj Mahal compared to what Harrick inherited from Skinner.
Last edited by rodfromcranston 11 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

Next year when we are competing for an NIT or NCAA bid the fans will come...it is too bad they don't come out this year as I enjoy watching this team compete even if we are undermanned. Last year was much more frustrating to watch.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I agree we need to get close to the big dance for the fans to pack the place, this yr it wont happen
0 x
EasyEdBrown
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EasyEdBrown »

BFC wrote:
EasyEdBrown wrote:
BFC wrote:I think the coaches offices are pretty nice...they are right next to the alumni room in the Ryan Center.

At 1:55 of the video, Bjorn says basketball office renovations are next. I don't think it's because the women's coaches complained.
That might be true, but it's not like the offices aren't already nice was my point. It could be a facelift, rather than a renovation.

I would hope though, for the sake of at least appearing to care about all sports, that if they updating the men's offices, they update the women's offices too.
0 x
"it makes me smile knowing the A10 is doomed" --Brutus
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I think they just want to "dress up" the coaching offices, to keep recruits convinced we're a big time program in the A10, or at least in the same discussion. These kids look at all this stuff (locker rooms, arena, coach's offices, etc) when evaluating the quality of the program.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hopefully some of these RC areas will be included in the RC Behind the Scenes Tour at the Big Chill Weekend game.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If the RC is such a nice, first class facility and it's only about 10 years old, why weren't the locker rooms, coaches offices, etc made to be first class also when they were originally built?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Everyone's definition of 1st class differs....maybe the people who were in authority then thought this was 1st class...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

They cut corners behind the scenes to cot costs
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

What was nice 10yrs ago isn't necessarily nice now, compared to the programs hurley is recruiting against.

Time for an upgrade to all the areas a recruit may see on a visit. These things matter when you are trying to steal BCS talent.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

rambone 78 wrote:True, when Dan says that EVERYBODY must raise their committment to the program, that includes us as fans. Not just the school, the coaches, the players, the boosters, etc.

The average fan, including the students and alumni, probably remains skeptical. They have to see results first, then they will come.

I think the attendance at the Ryan will reflect that starting next season. I don't see any big increases this season. Winning is still the bottom line, although the basketball being played right now is much more solid than what we saw last year. Last year's team was unwatchable. Not this years's.

Completely agree. Today's crowd was 3,758. That is about all you are going to get for most games the rest of this season. It pretty much is the season ticket hardcore Ram fans. Very few others are coming out or will until they see some tangible success on the court. Don't expect attendance to change much until midway through next season. That is the cold reality.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

It's not even seasnon ticket holders.
There are so many empty seats in season ticket areas, it isn't funny.
They are counted in the attendence. Guess they're too busy to
bother showing up on a rainy Saturday.
Pathetic.
0 x
Roz
ARD

Unread post by Roz »

I would have to say that the fact we stayed within striking distance with our offense makes me think next years team is going to have a legitimate NCAA tourney shot...defense is there and offense is on the way...win and people will come as the local coverage increases
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

Unread post by Optimistic »

rodfromcranston wrote:It's not even seasnon ticket holders.
There are so many empty seats in season ticket areas, it isn't funny.
They are counted in the attendence. Guess they're too busy to
bother showing up on a rainy Saturday.
Pathetic.
How many games did you go to last year, Rod?
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
This one just came out of the swamp
This one dropped a payload
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

As anyone who reads this board knows, as YOU obviously do,
I boycotted Baron ball. Glad I did.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No doubt about it, Baron ball was a must miss
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI is a 5-10 team that is coming off a 7-24 season. It can't make many field goals, shoot free throws well, or rebound the ball. While the team may play hard, it isn't very good. No one should be surprised that fans are not coming out in big numbers to see this. Things however will change next season when the product improves. The program needs a good start next year to build some momentum and get people excited again.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

With money tight for a lot of people, the last thing you want to do is spend it on a game that you think your team is not going to win. When you spend your money for fun...you expect to be happy...losing does not equal happy...thus low attendance.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

By the time the students come back from their break NEXT season, I can see crowds in the 6000 range.

People love winning....and we'll be winning....hopefully we'll be capable by then of beating anyone we play. Not saying we're going to win 25 games...not yet.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

No doubt about it when we start to win big the fans will be there
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

I asked a fringe fan -- alum who follows the team and goes to 2-8 games a year -- if he had been to a game yet. "Hurley keeps saying they'll be good next year so I'm going to wait til next year."
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:As anyone who reads this board knows, as YOU obviously do,
I boycotted Baron ball. Glad I did.
My point is Rod, that to the average, casual fan, this year is not going to much different than last year. While the hardcore fans on this board appreciate Hurley's coaching style, the team's effort and the improved defense, casual fans care more about highlight-reel offensive plays and wins. Its silly to think that this team in its current state is going to draw more fans than it currently does. As others have said, when we start to put a better, winning product on the floor, we'll see attendance creep back to respectable levels.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

I'm not really sure why every poster is making it a point to say that fans will come when the team starts winning, is anyone refuting that? I think we all know that because that is what happens everywhere. But if Hurley's expectation here is the ordinary course of roster turnover, practice, steady improvement, wins, postseason, and then finally fans showing up, why is he tweeting about fan "culture" now?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Even the Hurleys have to realize that it's going to take a while to build the fan base back up. It's been 12 years of mediocrity here, you don't change that "culture" of fair weather fandom overnight.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I understand what Optimist is saying.
My point was with those who actually have purchased seats and don't show.
It's the same empty seats every game in the season ticket areas.
I think Hurely is saying, "If we're making the effort, then the fans should be making an effort, because we're all in this together."
We're the ones who wanted change and wanted this coach.
Where are all the ones who said , "when Baron leaves, I'll be back"? Talk is cheap.
Yes, I boycotted Baronaball. I was one of those who said I'll be back when he leaves.
I've put my money where my mouth is. I've tried to interest others. That part is tough.
The product is tough to watch, if someone's a fringe fan.
We should be supporting the birth of a program, with all the crying and doo doo that comes with a newborn.
That part doesn't last forever, but the involvement in being there from the beginning and
watching something grow is rewarding.
0 x
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:Even the Hurleys have to realize that it's going to take a while to build the fan base back up. It's been 12 years of mediocrity here, you don't change that "culture" of fair weather fandom overnight.
I'm sure Hurley isn't expecting sell-outs or anything close but the question is does he see a place that can become a special college basketball environment or does he see a run-of-the-mill, people will come when its cool to come, let's be the first one out of the parking lot "culture".
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

You're right, Rod, those fans should at least make an effort. I mean, the games are at least watchable now, whereas last season, they weren't. Just isn't resulting in wins yet.

But, in this case, it's more like the Missouri state slogan, the "Show Me" state.

Show me the wins, and I'll be back. Bottom line. That's the state of URI hoops.

I think the Hurleys are realizing this by now, like it or not.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

BFC, if Dan looks back at URI's past successes, he'll see that they will come and support a winner.

They won't support a loser, and that's what this year is, no matter what the future potential is. It's that way in a lot of sports now. People just won't shell out their money anymore to see a team lose.

Yes, there are some teams in college and the pros, that continue to get great support and attendance even when they are down, but there is a difference. Those teams have had great success in the past, and any down time is usually very short.

URI has more or less sucked in BB for 12 years, that's a long time. In football, you'd have to be almost 50 years old, to remember the good times, and even that was fleeting.
0 x
Optimistic
Kenny Green

rodfromcranston wrote:I understand what Optimist is saying.
My point was with those who actually have purchased seats and don't show.
It's the same empty seats every game in the season ticket areas.
I think Hurely is saying, "If we're making the effort, then the fans should be making an effort, because we're all in this together."
We're the ones who wanted change and wanted this coach.
Where are all the ones who said , "when Baron leaves, I'll be back"? Talk is cheap.
Yes, I boycotted Baronaball. I was one of those who said I'll be back when he leaves.
I've put my money where my mouth is. I've tried to interest others. That part is tough.
The product is tough to watch, if someone's a fringe fan.
We should be supporting the birth of a program, with all the crying and doo doo that comes with a newborn.
That part doesn't last forever, but the involvement in being there from the beginning and
watching something grow is rewarding.
I agree with this, especially the part about buying season tickets and not showing up. If you want to help the program monetarily, donate, don't buy seats that you have zero intention of filling.
0 x
This one's optimistic
This one went to market
Fodder for the animals
Living on animal farm
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

The crowds were decent in the beginning of the Baron/Ryan Center era......there were some great crowds as a matter of fact....we lost all that positive momentum with the last 5 years of sustained mediocrity....and the last year of futility....

....probably will take 3-5 years of steady improvement in the record to get back to a good level....hopefully Hurley recruits great players who are also great kids, and their school mates come out to watch their friends....a great student base of 1500 would make Ryan a fun place to watch a game...
0 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
URI96
ARD

Unread post by URI96 »

Iggy1979 wrote:They cut corners behind the scenes to cot costs

The same reason why there's an obstructed view of the scoreboards from some seats. Lowering the room saved a million bucks.
0 x
Like soldiers on a Winter's night with a vow to DEFEND, no retreat baby, no surrender.
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

They cut off a quarter of the place to fit it into the space, so we could view
our glorious high school stadium.
No overhead scoreboard. The "lighthouses" were supposed to be much higher than they are.
The building was supposed to be taller. Common areas just cement and not carpeted.
I still wonder why, with all the land the University has, that they couldn't put the
Ryan in the middle of a field, surrounded by parking lots.
It deserved to stand alone, instead of being crammed into where it is.
Too late now. Was this Muskrat's big idea?
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

I want a coach who is never satisfied with the facilities......and who is a good enough coach that if he complains about it....gets the improvements because our administration is afraid he will leave....
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

I still feel comfort knowing that it was only both February 2008 and March 2009 when there were students camping out in Lincoln Almond Plaza @ the Ryan Center waiting for student tickets to be distributed. If Baron can get the place "rockin and rollin", sold out, with great student involvement then Hurley sure can!
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Ah yes, was it called "Baronville?"

"Hurleyville" has a better ring to it!
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Hurleyville will come soon enough.. maybe late next season.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I thought Baronville was everything west of Binghamton.............
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
BFC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by BFC »

rambone 78 wrote:BFC, if Dan looks back at URI's past successes, he'll see that they will come and support a winner.
I still don't know who is disagreeing with the fact people will come see a successful program, it's happened here and everywhere. But if our ceiling as far as fan culture is the same as everywhere else, than it's not an asset to the program.
0 x
rodfromcranston
Frank Keaney

I was watching an replay of NC State-Duke game.(gotta get a life!)
The energy and a completely packed house, with
giant amounts of students behind the basket through the opposing bench,
made me realize how very far we are from anything close
to being a pit for opposing teams.
I'm not talking about filling seats. I'm talking about WILD, passionate fans.
As has been pointed out, when the giveaways during timeouts are the loudest
Ryan becomes, say it all.
0 x