The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

The Official - URI’s NEW Head Coach is DAVID COX

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Hurley, loved by many, hated by few. My stomach is still turning, but just as he has moved forward, we must do the same. A few names have been floated about what should happen...want to get the boards pulse on all of this.

Cox
Oats
Becker

Three names that have been floated and I’m sure will be interviewed if Cox doesn’t automatically get the nod (which for continuity/sustainability purposes I believe URI should) but let’s look at the options and discuss as a board to get through this grieving/grim process of losing our guy, DH.
Last edited by DC_Rams 6 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Rhodyhooopz
Art Stephenson

Re: The Official URI’s Head Coach Thread....

Unread post by Rhodyhooopz »

If Cox has been promised this then give him the job and see what he can do. Let's sell out the Ryan center and all stand for him at the 1st game!!!
3 x
"If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day. That's a heck of a day. You do that seven days a week, you're going to have something special" - Jim Valvano
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

Unread post by Seawrightspostgame »

Pitino.
4 x
I want to change my name to BlockIslandFerry
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

So it seems there would be a buyout clause if Cox is not named head coach. I say if he can retain the current players and the commitment of the recruits we would be in a good place. If everyone bails, pay the buyout and do a search.
4 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

You gotta kick the tires on the biggest names out there. Over the course of the next 24 hours and then circle back to Cox. He could be the guy that really takes the ball and runs with it. If Cox is the hire, I am very interested to see who he hires.
1 x
CTRamfan
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by CTRamfan »

Probably one of most important hires. A fan base has been established, and needs to be solidified.

If Cox is not hired, it will be a total rebuild. It would be a strong possibility that we would loose recruits and current players.

.......I have met him a couple of times, and was impressed. He would be my choice in view of where the program is currently.
7 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

I had some names in mind in case this happened, but seems like it's not worth having the discussion if Rothstein was right and Cox is coach in waiting. If it appears we have a search I'll double back
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

Cox

he keeps the recruits and players

he knows the Xs and Os of coaching as he was the top scout/game planner

follow the suit of VCU (Shaka) and X (Mack) and promote from within
5 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
HASwatTeam
Jeff Kent

Unread post by HASwatTeam »

I love this thread. We lost out on keeping our coach but made an IMPRESSIVE offer. Now we turn the page and move on. So many fans of other local programs (Just one actually) are celebrating today, which is fine.

We're a program, we act like it. Its a sad day, but not the LAST day. Its the first to find the next coach.

If Cox can keep 3/4 recruits then I say him all day, but its definitely a risk.
3 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Hope we go with Cox...
Last edited by Bos8 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Cox, Oats and Becker are the three logical possible replacements.

One off the radar name I would kick the tires on would be Thad Matta. He's only 50 years old and his resume speaks for itself.
Last edited by STC 6 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Seawrightspostgame wrote:Pitino.

THINK BIG, DO WE ?
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Get ready for some great sex parties if Pitino comes.

Harrick redux.....omg
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

funny and true !
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Murphy.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Head Coach: Rick Pitino
Assistant 1: Jim Harrick
Assistant: whoever paid Ayton 100k (if he comes with a briefcase of cash)

All joking aside: my concern with someone like Matta is the moment he rebuilds (which is what would be required if anyone but Cox is hired) he'd bolt for another job. I like the Xavier/Butler approach.

My order would be:
1. Cox
2. Oats (has recruited very well at Buffalo)
3. Preston Murphy
4. Becker
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The next coach will not earn what was offered these last few days to Dan for him to stay. May not even make what Dan last earned here given his qualifications. URI however should still invest in the enhancements that it proposed to Dan. The salaries for the assistants must be increased to attract and keep a quality staff. This move would be relatively low risk as most all of the positions are on short term contracts. More charter flights making it more comfortable for staff and players should be added to put the program on par with other A-10 schools such as VCU, Dayton, and SLU. A longer term vision for a practice only facility needs to be addressed. While many similar level programs have been building these, many URI fans have dismissed this as not needed. It would appear that Hurley did not think that way and the school realized the need as it was part of the discussions in the process to keep Dan. Top recruits and coaches now expect these facilities. If you do not build one, you will need to lower your goals. With the increased NCAA payouts and Hurley buyout, URI has some of the funds to do these. It must commit to these in order to operate a high level program.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

THINK BIG, DO WE
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

My list for what it's worth: Cox, Murphy, Murray, Oats, Mason, and Matta (maybe - I thought he left Ohio State and turned down Georgia due to health reasons). Who ever they get, their first priority is to keep Fatts, Langevine, and Dowtin, plus the 4 recruits coming in.

No, not Pitino. Sure he'd bring us to a Final 4 or 8, then leave us in shambles and we'll pay for it for another 17 years.

URI absolutely needs to keep the investment part of the what would be Hurley's contract. Build the practice facility, charter flights, etc. Be a program.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
RhodyRams12
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by RhodyRams12 »

RF1 wrote:The next coach will not earn what was offered these last few days to Dan for him to stay. May not even make what Dan last earned here given his qualifications. URI however should still invest in the enhancements that it proposed to Dan. The salaries for the assistants must be increased to attract and keep a quality staff. This move would be relatively low risk as most all of the positions are on short term contracts. More charter flights making it more comfortable for staff and players should be added to put the program on par with other A-10 schools such as VCU, Dayton, and SLU. A longer term vision for a practice only facility needs to be addressed. While many similar level programs have been building these, many URI fans have dismissed this as not needed. It would appear that Hurley did not think that way and the school realized the need as it was part of the discussions in the process to keep Dan. Top recruits and coaches now expect these facilities. If you do not build one, you will need to lower your goals. With the increased NCAA payouts and Hurley buyout, URI has some of the funds to do these. It must commit to these in order to operate a high level program.
0 x
Common sense is not common.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I can tell you that this isn't a fly-by-night, shoot from the hip type organization we run any more.

Thorr, Dooley, and athletics are first rate in how these things get done. There will be a search, because their has to be. It'd be bad business to do so otherwise.

Dave has been the intended next head coach, is wanted by the players, and has a buyout clause attached if he isn't. He still needs to go through the interview process.

Dave Cox should be the next coach, he would be the best choice, but we still need to check the boxes and do our due diligence.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
BleedBlue87
ARD

Unread post by BleedBlue87 »

How long do you expect this take? We talking 3-4 days or 1-2 weeks?
0 x
Gonebarongone
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Gonebarongone »

BleedBlue87 wrote:How long do you expect this take? We talking 3-4 days or 1-2 weeks?
Some want it done today, which is dumb. There better be at least three coaches rolling into interviews before Cox is given the job, assuming he is the best candidate. Take your time. Get it right.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

7 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

RhowdyRam02 wrote:
Should be all that matters. Speaks volumes.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

An athletic director can never let student athletes dictate who to hire as HC.

Never.

Is there another Jack Kraft out there who will make good on taking Rhody hoops the rest of the way? Could Preston Murphy recruit better players than Cox? Perhaps with a bench coach like Tom Penders by his side?

2 straight trips to the dance and we’re a hot job right now. Go 7-20 and see ya.

Gotta play the field of interested applicants.

This is the biggest hire since we hired Jack Kraft no question.

I won’t cross the street to watch UConn btw just in case anyone was wondering.

UConn?

Really?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

RFORTE wrote:
RF1 wrote:The next coach will not earn what was offered these last few days to Dan for him to stay. May not even make what Dan last earned here given his qualifications. URI however should still invest in the enhancements that it proposed to Dan. The salaries for the assistants must be increased to attract and keep a quality staff. This move would be relatively low risk as most all of the positions are on short term contracts. More charter flights making it more comfortable for staff and players should be added to put the program on par with other A-10 schools such as VCU, Dayton, and SLU. A longer term vision for a practice only facility needs to be addressed. While many similar level programs have been building these, many URI fans have dismissed this as not needed. It would appear that Hurley did not think that way and the school realized the need as it was part of the discussions in the process to keep Dan. Top recruits and coaches now expect these facilities. If you do not build one, you will need to lower your goals. With the increased NCAA payouts and Hurley buyout, URI has some of the funds to do these. It must commit to these in order to operate a high level program.
That response was from my tweet. We absolutely need to move the program forward!
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
the_one_mike
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by the_one_mike »

Cox has an amazing relationship with Jermaine Harris -- that is the key right now. I suspect Cox gets a 4 year contract and we get to see how things play out with this #1 mid-major recruiting class that he constructed.

Can he build on it? This is the hinge point for URI basketball... if we hire Cox, does he have the necessary at least sustain the level of competitiveness we have achieved the last two seasons? I am hopeful, but also doubtful.
2 x
Ben
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Ben »

Gonebarongone wrote:
BleedBlue87 wrote:How long do you expect this take? We talking 3-4 days or 1-2 weeks?
Some want it done today, which is dumb. There better be at least three coaches rolling into interviews before Cox is given the job, assuming he is the best candidate. Take your time. Get it right.

1 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

I for one will be fine with Cox but there will be coaches that want this job that have final four appearances more than 2 NCAA appearances. Dan Hurley was a hot coach this year there will be many coaches that want the URI job that are much better coaches than Dan and will take less money for this job.Think outside the box. Thanks Dan good luck. Is Calhoun’s interview today or tomorrow? WINK!

GO RHODY!
1 x
bmat07
Abdul Fox

Unread post by bmat07 »

Hurley's stock will never be higher. It was a business decision. Sucks as a fan, but wish him luck. UCONN?! Yick

I'm torn on the comment regarding letting players decide on the next HC. I believe Cox can recruit, but I know very little on what his coaching style is. Appreciate any thoughts from people that are familiar.

Thinking out loud- planning for best case scenario that recruits and players stay as is, do we go after a young coach that brought the same "hurley energy" or do we hire a more mature/veteran. Also, with hurley gone does this mean we can say good-bye to the man-to-man d? (tongue and cheek)
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

I hope URI at least calls Thad Matta.

Zags reporting Pitt has turned their attention to Nate Oats so that maybe a name were crossing off the list soon.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

I also think it will be most likely Cox. Although lets all recall that we let the players saddle us with Jerry D the last time this happened. Granted that's hardly a fair comparison as Cox is a million times more qualified. I actually wouldn't be surprised if we do better with Cox going forward, assuming he keeps all recruits and players. Let's be realistic our end of game jitters was a seemingly never ending thing under Hurley.

I do think the school would be negligent not to do a search/interviews of other coaches however. I do want to throw out Tim Cluess name because i know some of high ups at the UNI like him. more importantly i don't think you can find a coach in college basketball that has overachieved at two programs for over a decade now. If not here he certainly deserves a shot at a major college job and i don't know why Pitt is not looking at him.
0 x
PillPushr
Michael Andersen

Unread post by PillPushr »

Thad Matt turned down Georgia, so hard to imagine he would want to go to URI. Plus, he has had some health problems and seriously underperformed his last couple of years at Ohio State.
0 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

2 x
DC_Rams
Sly Williams

Unread post by DC_Rams »

Let’s all remember this great interview...
2 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Thorr is not letting students dictate anything. It's no surprise they are comfortable with David Cox. That's really not news.
6 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

.....regarding Cluess, his teams seem to play less defense than what, I think, is needed to consistently contend in the A-10......
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

If Cluess is the hire I might not renew my season tickets. He's pretty much the only person off the top of my head that I feel that way about
6 x
Da_Process_Survivor
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by Da_Process_Survivor »

section(105) wrote:.....regarding Cluess, his teams seem to play less defense than what, I think, is needed to consistently contend in the A-10......
Cluess would be a disaster. He is a 1 trick pony. That can work against teams he currently plays against, but is exposed in no time against better competition. It's no secret why he gets run off the floor against anyone that can coach or has talent
1 x
---
He was a snake oil salesman...just like the rest of em
---
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

David Cox is ready, he has been groomed for this for the past few years. I don't care that he hasn't had a HC gig for an extended period of time past 3 games. So many KBers know this but look at his resume, great reach and connections in the DMV area, Georgetown, Pitt, Rutgers. He is qualified to get a shot and show what he can do. Please everyone against this stop throwing out the Jerry D comparisons crap. Cox is on a diff level than JD, also we have a different administration and AD which i'm more confident in for sustaining and continuing to grow the program

Dave also has strong ties to each recruit coming in outside of Tate, but I think he would keep Boswell on because of the solid elite expressions ties and connections he shares. Not that Thorr should let the players disctate who gets the next coaching gig, but lets remember that these kids currently, IMHO, have much better character then some kids on the team post Harrick. Fatts, Jefe, Cyril, Akele, i could go on but they are good kids, work hard, and have a real strong relationship and bond with Dave

It's only an opinion but the other names listed should be considered and maybe even interviewed, but my top choice and really best and only choice would be David Cox, I would feel so much better with our program with him at the helm.
8 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Good rundown of Cox's resume here: http://www.gorhody.com/sports/m-baskbl/ ... 0517hqln3n

A lot to like.
0 x
xcrun
Michael Andersen

Unread post by xcrun »

Yes. This.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Another off the radar name that would be a long shot would be Jay Larranaga. I think he wants to stay in the league though.
1 x
EGram
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by EGram »

Ofc Iona losses to top national teams. Your talking about guys at Iona who are often 4th and 5th tier recruits from the New York area vs teams full of National recruits and NBA players. It would be silly to say "Well his teams don't beat the Dukes of the World..." Of course they don't. Hurley's more talented team had basically the same result when they played Duke in the NCAA's and nearly lost to iona at home earlier in the year.. Does that mean he can't coach?

As for the style of play. The arguments here are exactly what Iona fans said when he came up from a division two school to Iona. personally I have little doubt 99% of the true mid major teams in the nation would be happy with the team playing crappy defense if it meant they won as much as Cluess has at Iona and Post. There's also no reason to think the guy can't coach defense if he had better players, He's said many times with his level of talent he simply finds it more effective to coach around, and focus on offense.

He's also one of the very best in the nation when it comes to getting transfers and reloading a program quickly. Something that i think should be considered if they do wind up not going with Cox.
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

I hope the next guy isn't married to a philosophy. Just Win Baby. And Cox is a hell of a recruiter. And he has seen Hurley's success and Thompson's demise. That is valuable experience.

I don't like that post by someone that said Cox was as likely to follow Dan as accept the HC job at URI. That is suspect.

DH did create space for himself in people's minds in RI. Star coach. I personally was tired of the family narrative. The "wired different" stuff. But whoever it is I hope they have a big enough personality to capture a similar market share of RI interest. Dan had it in spades. I wonder if Cox has it.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If we are indeed substantially increasing the assistant's pool, bring Preston back and give him the title that Cox just had. If we can come close to paying what Creighton does, he will come back. We know he loves it here. I'd love to get back into the Michigan/Illinois market along with Preston's continued connections in the New England market (see Marcus Zegarowski). If Cox is the HC and Preston the assistant HC (or whatever the title is), that would give a hell of a recruiting duo in 3 very important markets.
5 x
sandman012
Steve Chubin

Unread post by sandman012 »

HIde your wives!!
0 x
Seawrightspostgame
Sly Williams

STC wrote:Another off the radar name that would be a long shot would be Jay Larranaga. I think he wants to stay in the league though.
Homerun hire right there.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

xcrun wrote:
Yes. This.
If there were a thumbs down feature I would click it relentlessly. A bad choice all around. No F'in way.
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33